First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
Post Reply MTV runs a racist Ad; Prompt logical Responses
Posted 12/29/16

runec wrote:


Metazoxan wrote:
BlueLivesMatter is a thing because with all this cop hate some people are seriously starting to essentially be racist against cops. I know cops isn't a race but the way they treat them is the same if not worse than a racist white guy treats a black guy. Yes there are corrupt cops out there but others put their freaking lives on the line to keep us safe and these people REALLY need to check their privilage.


BlueLivesMatter is a thing because some police unions have fragile egos and god complexes. Oh, and being a police officer isn't even in the top 10 most dangerous jobs in the US.

Comparing it to racism or privilege is utterly absurd.


Well you have to be a bit god-like to walk into a housing project filled with armed and violent, law breaking, left-wing radicals that can't comprehend the meaning of the words "Stop, and put your hands up." Come to America and volunteer for a ride along with a cop who patrols one of these democrat crated hell holes, and I bet you will change your tune.

Being a cop is really not all that dangerous unless you happen to be one in a city that's been under democrat control for 25-50 years.
2695 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / California
Offline
Posted 12/29/16
Please, someone give me a list of white privileges. It would also be nice to know if you can get privileges for being part white as well.
35663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/29/16

Metazoxan wrote:
Again they aren't a race so it's not technically racism but it's just about as bad and it's really hypocritical to act like you are against racism yet be okay with cops being treated this way.


No, its not just about as bad and its not hypocritical of me to be against racism but not against your strawman argument.

At a local level police officers are generally treated in accordance to how they have treated the community. Problems between civilians and officers are usually the result of long term systemic problems in that regard. People who dislike police officers are usually working from personal experience. Just as people who have never had problems with police officers are sometimes baffled by the idea that police misconduct exists.

If you want to look at it from a national level you are missing some major pieces of the pie. Police are only one facet of the system that is causing the problems. The problem isn't just police misconduct. It's that police misconduct rarely results in any sort of consequences for the officer's in question. The Blue Wall(tm) as it were. That's why the "few bad apples" argument doesn't work.

In order for a problem officer to remain on the force his coworkers have to allow him too and the system of oversight has to allow him to. Once a culture like that is in place in a precinct it's pretty hard to uproot short of the DOJ stepping in and dissolving the entire force ala Ferguson. And that is your ultimate problem right there.

You can't fix a police culture like that by adding a couple good officers as they'll be ostracized and driven out. But you also can't fix it from the top down without some serious political muscle ala the DoJ. Especially if there's a union in place with fragile egos and a god complex ala New York.

This is not a simple problem with a simple solution and cannot be boiled down to "People are being mean to cops!"




Xxanthar wrote:
Well you have to be a bit god-like to walk into a housing project filled with armed and violent, law breaking, left-wing radicals that can't comprehend the meaning of the words "Stop, and put your hands up." Come to America and volunteer for a ride along with a cop who patrols one of these democrat crated hell holes, and I bet you will change your tune.

Being a cop is really not all that dangerous unless you happen to be one in a city that's been under democrat control for 25-50 years.


Pulling out the Grade A bullshit again, eh? Man, go easy on it. At least save it for special occasions.

Posted 12/29/16 , edited 12/29/16

runec wrote:

Pulling out the Grade A bullshit again, eh? Man, go easy on it. At least save it for special occasions.


It's called reality, not bullshit. Since you are Canadian and have a better chance of stepping in moose shit than getting mugged, I wouldn't expect you to understand.
25688 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Atlanta, GA, USA
Offline
Posted 12/29/16

runec wrote:
BlueLivesMatter is a thing because some police unions have fragile egos and god complexes.


It's a thing because BLM supporters cheered for "pigs in a blanket" after the Dallas shootings and people wanted to remind them that cops are people, too. There's no reason to be angry at police unions over it.
48129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/29/16

Silentveil wrote:
Claps slowly ...I can't believe you had to explain that on here, or anywhere else, but thanks for actually explaining the differences.

Please take a bow, you are awesome.

It's a bit insulting to compare a job to someone's life, especially one where you get shot at, but this is America.

Where 245 years of slavery is suppose to be forgotten in 140 years, even when 70 of those years was spent being severely oppress.


The "but slavery" argument really isn't that persuasive and it isn't 245 years of slavery, slavery has been a part of humanity for all of human history and continues today just not on any scale in western democracies, so its been going on for thousands of years. However my point is that yes African Americans came over from a low starting point, so did many white people(especially people of irish descent who were largely brought over as slaves and treated far worse as slaves than African slaves). But the biggest reason that the "But Slavery" arguement doesn't really hold much water is that the peak of black economic power relative to whites(between 10-15% away from parity) happened in the early mid 80's(with most of their economic growth happening 1950-1970 ironically it appears that affirmative action slammed the brakes on said growth but hard to prove) but the problem has been getting worse since the 80's as we are getting further from slavery and Jim Crow.

To me the important thing to consider, is that for american citizens that are not a child of an illegal immigrant(although grandchild is fine) the poverty rate is the same for all families regardless of race if you look at parents life choices specifically if said citizen was the child of a single mother or not. If you were raised by a single mother you probably grew up in poverty and will likely be in poverty(or prison) most of your adult life, if you were raised in a 2 parent home you will almost certainly be in the middle class.

So my question is why are single mothers 4 times more common among black Americans than the rest of the population, and what can we do as a people to help reduce the amount of single mothers in general but specifically in the black community?
Banned
7622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Pensacola
Offline
Posted 12/29/16
i miss the good old days of the 40s and 50s. maybe then blacks would have a reason to bitch.
202 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/29/16
in the words of the great poet of 2009, "Cause we need a little controversy". (m of m)
35663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/29/16 , edited 12/29/16

Kavalion wrote:
It's a thing because BLM supporters cheered for "pigs in a blanket" after the Dallas shootings and people wanted to remind them that cops are people, too. There's no reason to be angry at police unions over it.


These problems predate BLM ( whatever you may think of it ). They are systemic and will not be solved with hashtags.

Yes, cops are people too. But these problems are stemming from legal systems not acknowledging that suspects are people too.



Xxanthar wrote:
It's called reality, not bullshit. Since you are Canadian and have a better chance of stepping in moose shit than getting mugged, I wouldn't expect you to understand.


Even if it was reality working as a police officer ( or any emergency or emergency related profession ) means being the adult in the room at all times. You are the professional and you must remain the professional. You need to keep your personal feelings and fears aside because chances are you were called due to someone else being in a situation where they can't put aside their feelings or fears.

As for not understanding I do believe I have mentioned my former profession a couple of times on here when speaking about mental health issues. I am pretty confident in stating I have worked with police officers, EMTs and the like far longer than you have as a dispatcher/emergency sup over the course of my career. Its hard. Really fucking hard sometimes. But you HAVE to maintain your professionalism. Regardless of the abuse you're subjected too or feel you're being subjected too. If you can't do that then find another job.

Sometimes you will be someone's hero. Other times you will be the representation of all their problems. Sometimes its fair, sometimes it isn't. Sometimes you sympathize but are powerless to do much. Sometimes you want to strangle someone just to get them to shut up. But it's your job to rise above all that.

There are nights when I felt like I've made a difference in the world and nights when I felt like humanity is a plague upon the world at large. Sometimes its the same night. I've talked down suicidal people and I've been screamed at for hours on end. I've dispatched search & rescue to find lost Alzheimer's patients and I've been stalked by a mental patient for 2 months. I've helped people through medical emergencies and I've arranged to have the blood cleaned out of the carpet at a homicide scene.

But no matter what happens, I had to remain a professional. I couldn't start yelling back at the guy that's called 15 times in a row to call me a cocksucker commie whore ( you would be surprised how often that happens. We had regulars. ) or start freaking out when talking to someone on the verge of suicide.

So yeah, if you can't handle the job without beating the shit out of someone every other week or filling someone full of holes because they reached for their wallet after you asked them for ID then find another job. If you escalate situations until you can start flogging someone instead of de-escalating them so no one has to get hurt then find another job.

If you can't keep your own shit together working a job dedicated to dealing with other people's shit then find another job.


11419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 12/29/16 , edited 12/29/16

runec wrote:


Kavalion wrote:
It's a thing because BLM supporters cheered for "pigs in a blanket" after the Dallas shootings and people wanted to remind them that cops are people, too. There's no reason to be angry at police unions over it.


These problems predate BLM ( whatever you may think of it ). They are systemic and will not be solved with hashtags.

Yes, cops are people too. But these problems are stemming from legal systems not acknowledging that suspects are people too.



Xxanthar wrote:
It's called reality, not bullshit. Since you are Canadian and have a better chance of stepping in moose shit than getting mugged, I wouldn't expect you to understand.


Even if it was reality working as a police officer ( or any emergency or emergency related profession ) means being the adult in the room at all times. You are the professional and you must remain the professional. You need to keep your personal feelings and fears aside because chances are you were called due to someone else being in a situation where they can't put aside their feelings or fears.

As for not understanding I do believe I have mentioned my former profession a couple of times on here when speaking about mental health issues. I am pretty confident in stating I have worked with police officers, EMTs and the like far longer than you have as a dispatcher/emergency sup over the course of my career. Its hard. Really fucking hard sometimes. But you HAVE to maintain your professionalism. Regardless of the abuse you're subjected too or feel you're being subjected too. If you can't do that then find another job.

Sometimes you will be someone's hero. Other times you will be the representation of all their problems. Sometimes its fair, sometimes it isn't. Sometimes you sympathize but are powerless to do much. Sometimes you want to strangle someone just to get them to shut up. But it's your job to rise above all that.

There are nights when I felt like I've made a difference in the world and nights when I felt like humanity is a plague upon the world at large. Sometimes its the same night. I've talked down suicidal people and I've been screamed at for hours on end. I've dispatched search & rescue to find lost Alzheimer's patients and I've been stalked by a mental patient for 2 months. I've helped people through medical emergencies and I've arranged to have the blood cleaned out of the carpet at a homicide scene.

But no matter what happens, I had to remain a professional. I couldn't start yelling back at the guy that's called 15 times in a row to call me a cocksucker commie whore ( you would be surprised how often that happens. We had regulars. ) or start freaking out when talking to someone on the verge of suicide.

So yeah, if you can't handle the job without beating the shit out of someone every other week or filling someone full of holes because they reached for their wallet after you asked them for ID then find another job. If you escalate situations until you can start flogging someone instead of de-escalating them so no one has to get hurt then find another job.

If you can't keep your own shit together working a job dedicated to dealing with other people's shit then find another job.




No point even trying with this guy. Dude legitimately thinks proportionate response is just some made up buzzword instead of a part of the law. Trying to make him see the reality of law enforcement and the restrictions and responsibilities they willingly subject themselves to is fruitless.
35663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/29/16

octorockandroll wrote:
No point even trying with this guy. Dude legitimately thinks proportionate response is just some made up buzzword instead of a part of the law. Trying to make him see the reality of law enforcement and the restrictions and responsibilities they willingly subject themselves to is fruitless.


A boy can dream.

Then go back to having to take numerous heavy medications to control the mental and physical aftermath of having worked in that kind of career most his life. -.-

30175 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Somewhere in the...
Offline
Posted 12/29/16
"oh it won't racist if we talk about white people hahaha" racism is racism! MTV you are implying that ALL white people are ignorant bigots! you can't get any stupider than this (one of the many reasons why I don't watch that trash network!)
Posted 12/29/16

runec wrote:


Even if it was reality working as a police officer ( or any emergency or emergency related profession ) means being the adult in the room at all times. You are the professional and you must remain the professional. You need to keep your personal feelings and fears aside because chances are you were called due to someone else being in a situation where they can't put aside their feelings or fears.

As for not understanding I do believe I have mentioned my former profession a couple of times on here when speaking about mental health issues. I am pretty confident in stating I have worked with police officers, EMTs and the like far longer than you have as a dispatcher/emergency sup over the course of my career. Its hard. Really fucking hard sometimes. But you HAVE to maintain your professionalism. Regardless of the abuse you're subjected too or feel you're being subjected too. If you can't do that then find another job.

Sometimes you will be someone's hero. Other times you will be the representation of all their problems. Sometimes its fair, sometimes it isn't. Sometimes you sympathize but are powerless to do much. Sometimes you want to strangle someone just to get them to shut up. But it's your job to rise above all that.

There are nights when I felt like I've made a difference in the world and nights when I felt like humanity is a plague upon the world at large. Sometimes its the same night. I've talked down suicidal people and I've been screamed at for hours on end. I've dispatched search & rescue to find lost Alzheimer's patients and I've been stalked by a mental patient for 2 months. I've helped people through medical emergencies and I've arranged to have the blood cleaned out of the carpet at a homicide scene.

But no matter what happens, I had to remain a professional. I couldn't start yelling back at the guy that's called 15 times in a row to call me a cocksucker commie whore ( you would be surprised how often that happens. We had regulars. ) or start freaking out when talking to someone on the verge of suicide.

So yeah, if you can't handle the job without beating the shit out of someone every other week or filling someone full of holes because they reached for their wallet after you asked them for ID then find another job. If you escalate situations until you can start flogging someone instead of de-escalating them so no one has to get hurt then find another job.

If you can't keep your own shit together working a job dedicated to dealing with other people's shit then find another job.




It's hard to be professional when there is someone intent on killing you, someone that is not following simple instructions and acting irrationally. You may have dealt with unarmed nuts before but responding to gun fire is a bit different. It only takes a second to have your life taken away. Cops don't beat people every other week, cops don't shoot people for the fuck of it.

I'm sure that there is a heaping pile of asshole cops around, just like the many other assholes on the government's payroll. I've run into a more than my fair share of them, but to suggest that they go around killing and beating people for no reason is crazy. A cop is not going to risk death in prison just to shoot someone because of their skin color. There is no epidemic of cops killing blacks, white, asians, or anyone. There are no scheduled beat downs of citizens like they did in the 40's. Do you know what there is an epidemic of though? http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/dec/29/deadly-police-ambushes-two-decade-high-report/

Obey the law, follow instructions, don't resist arrest and odds are you won't get shot, beat or even scratched. It's simple, and quite frankly, if you can't manage to do that, then you get what you deserve.




Posted 12/29/16 , edited 12/29/16



No point even trying with this guy. Dude legitimately thinks proportionate response is just some made up buzzword instead of a part of the law. Trying to make him see the reality of law enforcement and the restrictions and responsibilities they willingly subject themselves to is fruitless.


Well seeing that most courts have sided with the police involved in the shootings of these fine young scholars. It seems that 'proportional response' was used.
1264 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Nowhere
Offline
Posted 12/29/16 , edited 12/29/16
These are just a few: http://crc-global.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/white-privilege.pdf

Some of these don't account for white women, multiracial/multiethnic people with white descent, or white people with other minority markers, but it hits the nail on the head for straight cis white men.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.