Post Reply The abomination known as flash
21991 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The White House
Offline
Posted 12/28/16
When are you going to get HTML 5? Flash is horrible and even worse than horrible on linux. Hulu does this quite well you could learn from them.
Der Zoodirektor
26159 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Germany
Online
Posted 12/28/16

Rujikin wrote:

When are you going to get HTML 5? Flash is horrible and even worse than horrible on linux. Hulu does this quite well you could learn from them.


Hulu? If I recall correctly, they use Flash exclusively.
Posted 12/28/16

Rujikin wrote:

When are you going to get HTML 5? Flash is horrible and even worse than horrible on linux. Hulu does this quite well you could learn from them.


I think the main reason why Crunchyroll sticks to Flash is due to contractual agreements with their licensing partners. Japanese distributors aren't huge on HTML5 due to some of the certifications not meeting their requirements.

Also, Hulu is strictly Flash. Netflix is the only main streaming service that I know of that has an HTML5 player.
106685 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
57 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 12/28/16

ninjitsuko wrote:

Also, Hulu is strictly Flash. Netflix is the only main streaming service that I know of that has an HTML5 player.

You don't count YouTube as a "main streaming service"?

Amazon also supports HTML5 video, and they are actually the #2 video streaming service (ahead of Hulu):
https://www.streamingobserver.com/new-study-shows-netflix-still-king-streaming-services-rise/

Posted 12/28/16 , edited 12/28/16

shinryou wrote:


Rujikin wrote:

When are you going to get HTML 5? Flash is horrible and even worse than horrible on linux. Hulu does this quite well you could learn from them.


Hulu? If I recall correctly, they use Flash exclusively.


OK so why the hell the video player always has a seizure? By always I mean me and by that I mean a random ass times.
Posted 12/29/16

TheAncientOne wrote:
You don't count YouTube as a "main streaming service"?

Amazon also supports HTML5 video, and they are actually the #2 video streaming service (ahead of Hulu):
https://www.streamingobserver.com/new-study-shows-netflix-still-king-streaming-services-rise/



Weeeeeeeeeeell... perhaps I should elaborate with "premium streaming service" (despite knowing that "YouTube Red" is a thing now). I will admit fault that I didn't know about Amazon, seeing as most (sic; all) of my usage of my Amazon Prime streaming comes from the PS4 app altogether.

I'm sure Crunchyroll will end up switching to HTML5 whenever Japanese content providers are more comfortable with it. But, as many other threads have mentioned, Japan tends to be behind the curve when it comes to protocols or new coding principles. It takes time, so people should just try to remain as patient as possible. My only issue with CR's Flash player is that it'll randomly just die out due to a memory spike (from my observations, at least).
21991 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The White House
Offline
Posted 12/29/16 , edited 12/29/16

shinryou wrote:


Rujikin wrote:

When are you going to get HTML 5? Flash is horrible and even worse than horrible on linux. Hulu does this quite well you could learn from them.


Hulu? If I recall correctly, they use Flash exclusively.





ninjitsuko wrote:


Rujikin wrote:

When are you going to get HTML 5? Flash is horrible and even worse than horrible on linux. Hulu does this quite well you could learn from them.


I think the main reason why Crunchyroll sticks to Flash is due to contractual agreements with their licensing partners. Japanese distributors aren't huge on HTML5 due to some of the certifications not meeting their requirements.

Also, Hulu is strictly Flash. Netflix is the only main streaming service that I know of that has an HTML5 player.




I don't know if everything is HTML5 but bleach certainly was along with pretty much all the anime I watch.



http://imgur.com/a/An9Fg
36303 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 12/30/16
They've been hanging onto the excuse of content providers contractually wanting them to stick with Flash for awhile. Seems a little suspicious when even Adobe's Senior Product Manager Sarah Hunt has outright supported HTML5 and agreed that it is going to become the new standard and that was back in September 2015.

With it set to be the standard for most web interactivity by 2017, you'd think CR would stop using a scapegoat and actually push for the use of HTML5 to their content providers. We're talking about a site that illegally uploaded content back in 2006 pre-CR name but managed to push content providers to allow them to licence by 2008 (2-year push to become legal). Yet in 8 years of business they can't convince them to allow HTML5 for a better experience for viewers? Awfully convenient scapegoat.

That being said if content providers state you have to, you are at their mercy but when HTML5 is being recognized for becoming the new standards globally, that includes Japan. Just seems a little fishy at this point to keep riding the same excuse over and over, when the current platform you use agrees that HTML5 is safer and better.
106685 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
57 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 12/30/16

Rujikin wrote:

I don't know if everything is HTML5 but bleach certainly was along with pretty much all the anime I watch.

Have you actually tried playing Hulu on a web browser that doesn't have Flash built in?:



21991 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The White House
Offline
Posted 12/30/16

TheAncientOne wrote:


Rujikin wrote:

I don't know if everything is HTML5 but bleach certainly was along with pretty much all the anime I watch.

Have you actually tried playing Hulu on a web browser that doesn't have Flash built in?:





So it is using an HTML 5 wrapper to provide standardization. The video opens in the correct monitor, it auto plays without closing itself out, and I can keep it active while playing a game. With crunchyroll if I click outside of the player the damn thing turns off fullscreen mode. I'm thinking about canceling crunchyroll just because it DOESN'T WORK. I find myself watching hulu more than CR because I can play it in one monitor and a game in the other. Crunchyroll fails to be able to do such a standard feature.
59752 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Dallas, TX
Offline
Posted 12/30/16

Rujikin wrote:

So it is using an HTML 5 wrapper to provide standardization. The video opens in the correct monitor, it auto plays without closing itself out, and I can keep it active while playing a game. With crunchyroll if I click outside of the player the damn thing turns off fullscreen mode. I'm thinking about canceling crunchyroll just because it DOESN'T WORK. I find myself watching hulu more than CR because I can play it in one monitor and a game in the other. Crunchyroll fails to be able to do such a standard feature.


Have you tried using the pop-out player, and setting the window to full screen?
You must be logged in to post.