First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Russia says diplomatic relations with US have been destroyed over expulsions
21363 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 12/29/16 , edited 12/30/16
UPDATE: Putin: Russia will not expel anyone in response to US sanctions

Obama decided to kick out 35 Russian diplomats and enact more sanctions on Russia just to piss them off before Trump becomes president.




President Barack Obama has imposed sanctions on Russian officials and intelligence services in retaliation for Russia’s alleged interference in the US presidential election by hacking American political sites and email accounts.

However, Russia has hit back saying that it does not believe the move is legal and said that diplomatic relations between the two countries have been destroyed.

A spokesman for Russian President Vladimir Putin said the new sanctions were a sign of Mr Obama’s ‘unpredictable and, if I may say, aggressive foreign policy’ and were aimed at undermining President-elect Donald Trump.

‘We think that such steps by a US administration that has three weeks left to work are aimed at two things: to further harm Russian-American ties, which are at a low point as it is, as well as, obviously, to deal a blow to the foreign policy plans of the incoming administration of the president-elect,’ Dmitry Peskov told reporters in Moscow.

The state department has also kicked out 35 Russian diplomats from its embassy in Washington and consulate in San Francisco, giving them and their families 72 hours to leave the US.

The diplomats were declared persona non grata for acting in a “manner inconsistent with their diplomatic status”.

Mr Obama said Russians will no longer have access to two Russian government-owned compounds in the United States, in Maryland and in New York.

Russian officials have denied the Obama administration’s accusation that the Russian government was trying to influence the US presidential election.

US intelligence agencies concluded that Russia’s goal was to help Donald Trump win – an assessment Mr Trump has dismissed as ridiculous.

It was the strongest action the Obama administration has taken to date to retaliate for a cyber attack.

‘All Americans should be alarmed by Russia’s actions,’ Mr Obama said in a statement released while he was on holiday in Hawaii.

He added: ‘Such activities have consequences.’

Mr Obama ordered sanctions against two Russian intelligence services, the GRU and the FSB, plus companies which the US says support the GRU.

The cyber security firm hired by the Democratic National Committee to investigate the theft of its emails determined earlier this year the hacking came from the Fancy Bear group, believed to be affiliated with the GRU, Russia’s military intelligence agency.

The president also sanctioned Lt Gen Korobov, the head of the GRU, and three of his deputies.

Other individuals sanctioned include Alexei Belan and Yevgeny Bogachev, two Russian nationals who have been wanted by the FBI for cyber crimes for years.

Mr Obama said the hacking ‘could only have been directed by the highest levels of the Russian government’, a contention the US has used to suggest Russian president Vladimir Putin was personally involved.

Although the White House announced at the same time it was kicking out Russian officials and closing facilities, it said those were responses to other troubling Russian behaviour: harassment of US diplomats by Russian personnel and police.

The 35 Russian diplomats being kicked out are intelligence operatives, Mr Obama said.

The state department said they were being declared ‘persona non grata’, and they were given 72 hours to leave the country.

The two compounds being closed down are recreational facilities owned by Russia’s government, one in Maryland and one in New York, the US said.

The White House said Russia had been notified that it would be denied access to the sites starting at noon on Friday.

Russian officials have denied the Obama administration’s accusation that the Russian government was involved at the highest levels in trying to influence the US presidential election.

US intelligence agencies concluded that Russia’s goal was to help Donald Trump win – an assessment Mr Trump has dismissed as ridiculous.

The move puts the president-elect in the position of having to decide whether to roll back the measures once in office.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/12/29/tension-between-us-and-russia-escalates-as-35-diplomats-are-expelled-6350560/


------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow Putin is making Obama look like an idiot and an asshole. Who kicks diplomats and their families out during the holiday season or when airlines are booked full with new years travellers?

Putin: Russia will not expel anyone in response to US sanctions


The Russian president has rejected a suggestion of the foreign ministry to expel 35 American diplomats in response to a similar move by the US. He said Obama’s act was designed to provoke a reaction, but Russia would not take the bait.

“We reserve the right to retaliate, but we will not sink to the level of this irresponsible ‘kitchen’ diplomacy. We will take further moves on restoring Russian-American relations based on the policies that the administration of President-elect Donald Trump adopts,” Russian President Vladimir Putin said in a statement published by the Kremlin website.

Putin said that, unlike the Obama administration, Russia will not target foreign diplomats and their families days before New Year’s celebrations.

“We will not forbid families and children from spending the New Year’s holidays at the places they are used to. Moreover, I invite the children of all American diplomats with accreditation in Russia to New Year’s and Christmas festivities in the Kremlin,” the Russian president said.

Putin said he regretted that US President Barack Obama is ending his term “in such a way,” but that he extended his New Year’s congratulations to the outgoing US president and his family nevertheless.

“I congratulate President-elect Donald Trump and the entire American people!” he concluded.

The Kremlin said it will send a government plane to the US to evacuate the expelled diplomats and their family members. Earlier, there were reports that the diplomats were having problems buying tickets on such short notice, with airlines already booked by New Year’s travelers.

Earlier, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov suggested that Russia respond to the expulsion of 35 Russian diplomats from the US by expelling 35 American diplomats from Russia. Similarly, the eviction of a Russian diplomatic staff from two vacation houses in the US would be mirrored by a similar eviction of Americans in Russia.

President Obama targeted Russian diplomats as a part of wider sanctions against Russian, which he justified by the alleged interference by the Russian government in the November presidential election in the US. Moscow denies the allegations.

The US claimed that the vacation houses had been used for espionage. Russia insists that they were used by the diplomatic staff to spend holidays with their families.


10938 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 12/29/16 , edited 12/30/16

just to piss them off before Trump becomes president.


Yeah, sure mate.

Sure.
35285 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/29/16 , edited 12/29/16
Shitposting aside; The really interesting bit there is the release of technical information about Russian groups and methods as well as mitigation strategies against them. For use by other organizations and countries in countering Russia's cybershit.

https://info.publicintelligence.net/DHS-FBI-GRIZZLY-STEPPE.pdf
14720 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 12/29/16 , edited 12/29/16
As I've said before, if you make a move against the USA there has to be some sort of retaliation. You don't have the right to be pissed about the consequences for your own actions. As they say, turnabout is fair play.
mxdan 
10826 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / A Husk.
Offline
Posted 12/29/16 , edited 12/29/16
If this is true my guess is this is at the request of the CIA or some intelligence agency. I highly doubt that Obama would be stirring the pot like this right before he is out of office for no reason other that blind Russian hatred. My guess is than something is happening right now that is making the CIA uncomfortable.
Ejanss 
16421 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/29/16 , edited 12/29/16

sundin13 wrote:

As I've said before, if you make a move against the USA there has to be some sort of retaliation. You don't have the right to be pissed about the consequences for your own actions. As they say, turnabout is fair play.


Exactly: It does rather look like Russia stuck their foot out just to rage about it being stepped on.

And considering that Trump the Gullible Dope, during the campaign, was unwittingly repeating most of the state's paranoid anti-Hillary propaganda that Putin was feeding the Russian press (Obama created ISIS! Hillary's e-mails reveal corrupt conspiracies!), it's a bit too naive to say "Russia had no part in Trump's win"--
If Donald believed it, because it came from his neato private "insiders", so did his supporters, who wanted a little too badly to believe it at 100% face value...The Dopey Leading the Dopey.
Posted 12/29/16 , edited 12/30/16
Hopefully President Trump will sell some of our liberals to Putin as slave labor and pay off our national debt.
Posted 12/29/16 , edited 12/29/16
Well something nasty is going on then.
17710 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 12/29/16 , edited 12/29/16
Are you mad because US was hacked or because Russian diplomats were kicked?

Ejanss 
16421 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/29/16 , edited 12/29/16

Xxanthar wrote:

Hopefully President Trump will sell some of our liberals to Putin as slave labor and pay off our national debt.


(And with every Xxanthar political-bait post, the spiritual line between "Trump supporter" and "Disgruntled DC-movie fan" grows dangerously thinner--
If Hillary had won, we'd have heard that Disney must've been bribing her campaign...)
Posted 12/29/16 , edited 12/29/16

Ejanss wrote:

(And with every Xxanthar political-bait post, the spiritual line between "Trump supporter" and "Disgruntled DC-movie fan" grows dangerously thinner--
If Hillary had won, we'd have heard that Disney must've been bribing her campaign...)


I thought Disney let Hillary hang out with Walt in his cryogenic vault during the campaign. Thats why she disappeared on weekends and for the month of September.
21363 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 12/29/16 , edited 12/29/16

runec wrote:

Shitposting aside; The really interesting bit there is the release of technical information about Russian groups and methods as well as mitigation strategies against them. For use by other organizations and countries in countering Russia's cybershit.

https://info.publicintelligence.net/DHS-FBI-GRIZZLY-STEPPE.pdf





sundin13 wrote:

As I've said before, if you make a move against the USA there has to be some sort of retaliation. You don't have the right to be pissed about the consequences for your own actions. As they say, turnabout is fair play.





mxdan wrote:

If this is true my guess is this is at the request of the CIA or some intelligence agency. I highly doubt that Obama would be stirring the pot like this right before he is out of office for no reason other that blind Russian hatred. My guess is than something is happening right now that is making the CIA uncomfortable.


Intelligence officials refuse to brief House panel on Russian hacking

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/12/14/intelligence-officials-refuse-brief-house-panel-russian-hacking/95453412/

That's some mighty fine evidence were going off of. It's so good the CIA doesn't even need to prove it to know that it is correct.
10938 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 12/29/16 , edited 12/29/16

Rujikin wrote:


runec wrote:

Shitposting aside; The really interesting bit there is the release of technical information about Russian groups and methods as well as mitigation strategies against them. For use by other organizations and countries in countering Russia's cybershit.

https://info.publicintelligence.net/DHS-FBI-GRIZZLY-STEPPE.pdf





sundin13 wrote:

As I've said before, if you make a move against the USA there has to be some sort of retaliation. You don't have the right to be pissed about the consequences for your own actions. As they say, turnabout is fair play.





mxdan wrote:

If this is true my guess is this is at the request of the CIA or some intelligence agency. I highly doubt that Obama would be stirring the pot like this right before he is out of office for no reason other that blind Russian hatred. My guess is than something is happening right now that is making the CIA uncomfortable.


Intelligence officials refuse to brief House panel on Russian hacking

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/12/14/intelligence-officials-refuse-brief-house-panel-russian-hacking/95453412/

That's some mighty fine evidence were going off of. It's so good the CIA doesn't even need to prove it to know that it is correct.


Thank god you never level assertions without any evidence, eh?
Posted 12/29/16 , edited 12/29/16
Obama is going to burn as many bridges as he can before he leaves. It won't take President Trump long to repair things though.
35285 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/29/16 , edited 12/29/16

Rujikin wrote:
Intelligence officials refuse to brief House panel on Russian hacking

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/12/14/intelligence-officials-refuse-brief-house-panel-russian-hacking/95453412/

That's some mighty fine evidence were going off of. It's so good the CIA doesn't even need to prove it to know that it is correct.


Do you sincerely just not read anything you link? -.-

It must be terrifying to go through life only reading headlines.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.