First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply The Republican Agenda started today
51606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Online
Posted 1/2/17 , edited 1/3/17
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/gop-moves-to-slash-powers-of-ethics-watchdog/ar-BBxPrgr?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp

Yep, the Republicans are severely limiting independent ethic oversight going forward, because hey, what better way to show that you aren't corrupt, than by gutting the very agency that investigates corruption. More of the same from those on the far Right, they claim they want to drain the swamp, apparently they think that means to make corruption easier.
10938 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 1/2/17 , edited 1/3/17
I'm not completely opposed to the idea of re-thinking powers of watchdogs if it means supporting due process, but this is not the way to go about it, it's also probably the worst possible time in recent memory to pull this kind of stuff.
51606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Online
Posted 1/2/17 , edited 1/3/17
The whole reason it was set up in the first place was because the very people in charge of investigating congressional corruption was... congress.
mxdan 
10818 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / A Husk.
Offline
Posted 1/2/17 , edited 1/4/17
I'm having a real hard time justifying this in my head. Why would anyone think that having an independent ethics office is a bad thing? Oh wait, the same justification that seems to be used everywhere in America today; All working government infrastructure is a liberal arm and bias that has no use for an effective Democracy.

33024 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 1/2/17 , edited 1/3/17
I haven't been keeping track of that much, but what was the answer to the question

"Why is there a need for a new investigative body instead of using existing ones?"
51606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Online
Posted 1/2/17 , edited 1/2/17
The "existing investigative body" was the same as the ones being investigated, which is why the independent group was set up. You can't honestly think someone investigating themselves for corruption is going to find themselves guilty? I mean... DUH The whole reason the republicans are getting rid of it is so they can break laws and ethics codes. I mean hell, it isn't even all republicans, the article states that even Paul Ryan is against this, yet the rest of the republican party pushed it through.

I notice that none of the right-leaning vocal commentators are posting in here, probably because they can't come up with any kind of defense for this.
10938 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 1/2/17 , edited 1/2/17

MadBovine wrote:

I notice that none of the right-leaning vocal commentators are posting in here, probably because they can't come up with any kind of defense for this.


Or because its the middle of the night in north america -_-.

It's 1:05 am at the time I'm writing this so I would think not a lot of people are awake besides those who live in very different time zones or those like me who would rather re-watch dragonball z movies they dont even like than go to sleep like a normal person.
51606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Online
Posted 1/2/17
Nuh unh! I have seen plenty of posts from them in the middle of the night.... what can I say, I lurk, and live on the west coast.
33024 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 1/2/17 , edited 1/2/17

MadBovine wrote:

The "existing investigative body" was the same as the ones being investigated, which is why the independent group was set up. You can't honestly think someone investigating themselves for corruption is going to find themselves guilty? I mean... DUH The whole reason the republicans are getting rid of it is so they can break laws and ethics codes. I mean hell, it isn't even all republicans, the article states that even Paul Ryan is against this, yet the rest of the republican party pushed it through.

I notice that none of the right-leaning vocal commentators are posting in here, probably because they can't come up with any kind of defense for this.


Uh, excuse me, but the "existing investigative body" is the current existing congressional intelligence committee.

Why don't they just use that....... Unless you're saying that committee is corrupt?
51606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Online
Posted 1/2/17
The reason the independent body was set up was BECAUSE OF CORRUPTION IN THE COMMITTEE. Politicians are EXTREMELY bad at self policing themselves in a non political manor. Ask yourself this, do criminals turn themselves in when they break the law? Oh they do? OH OK then let congress police themselves for corruption.
10199 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Abyss
Online
Posted 1/2/17 , edited 1/2/17
All I can think of right now is... "Lets go 2017. Make 2016 your bitch!" I think 2017 easily has the ability to do so. Three days in and we are already having all sorts of fun in the USA and the world.

What stars will die? What countries will topple? What regimes will fall? What war crimes will be committed, and by who? I am 100% sure we will see all of these in 2017 and many many more to come.

As for the OP's link. Sadly, this is in the realm of what I was expecting. Then again it will take a hell of a lot to surprise me with what the USA may do in the next 4 or 8 years. Worst case, the oil industry peaks and the economy with it. Short term plans can do that. In the long term they generally plummet after it, just as hard, if not harder.

What I see that will "free up" a lot of money is gutting government research, funding of branches, and other such facets. More money will be saved... but how much will be lost? As I have said in other posts, researchers in the USA are backing up all their climate data to Canada in fear the servers in the USA will be shut down... the data and jobs it supplied with it. Save money, sure. Potential loss of years of data... I want to cry.

LETS GET 2017 GOING BOYS!
10938 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 1/2/17

Dark_Alma wrote:

As I have said in other posts, researchers in the USA are backing up all their climate data to Canada in fear the servers in the USA will be shut down... the data and jobs it supplied with it. Save money, sure. Potential loss of years of data... I want to cry.

LETS GET 2017 GOING BOYS!

Wait what? So scientists in the US thought that their climate change research would be less mistreated in the hands of the Canadian government than the American one? Canada? The fuck's going on in America?
33024 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 1/2/17

MadBovine wrote:

The reason the independent body was set up was BECAUSE OF CORRUPTION IN THE COMMITTEE. Politicians are EXTREMELY bad at self policing themselves in a non political manor. Ask yourself this, do criminals turn themselves in when they break the law? Oh they do? OH OK then let congress police themselves for corruption.


Given that a whole load of the money exchanged hands way back in 2005, and given the current "situation", isn't the timing a bit suspect?
10199 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Abyss
Online
Posted 1/2/17 , edited 1/2/17

octorockandroll wrote:


Dark_Alma wrote:

As I have said in other posts, researchers in the USA are backing up all their climate data to Canada in fear the servers in the USA will be shut down... the data and jobs it supplied with it. Save money, sure. Potential loss of years of data... I want to cry.

LETS GET 2017 GOING BOYS!

Wait what? So scientists in the US thought that their climate change research would be less mistreated in the hands of the Canadian government than the American one? Canada? The fuck's going on in America?


In all honesty, I would trust climate data on Canadian servers more then US ones right now. I am all for this. I see this reign as somewhat of an anti-science presidency. It scares me and a lot of other doctors, scientists and engineers. There have been at least one protest by scientists recently. I will look for the link tomorrow.

Edit: It will take some digging. It didn't make headline news as it was peaceful and only about 1,500 or so scientists.
6732 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
∞ / AI / Cyberspace
Offline
Posted 1/2/17

MadBovine wrote:

I notice that none of the right-leaning vocal commentators are posting in here, probably because they can't come up with any kind of defense for this.


Why defend what I don't believe should be defended?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.