First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Lassie was evil.
2120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / The margins
Offline
Posted 1/4/17

dreamnarcotic wrote:

She didn't know the harm she was doing to the natural order of things. If Timmy is so stupid that he falls down a well repeatedly, then natural selection should have claimed his life a long time ago.


Natural selection also brought about the situation in which dogs help humans and obey their orders. "Survival of the fittest" should not be so narrowly construed.
Posted 1/4/17

auroraloose wrote:


dreamnarcotic wrote:

She didn't know the harm she was doing to the natural order of things. If Timmy is so stupid that he falls down a well repeatedly, then natural selection should have claimed his life a long time ago.


Natural selection also brought about the situation in which dogs help humans and obey their orders. "Survival of the fittest" should not be so narrowly construed.


Timmy = retarded. Dogs = servile to the point of insanity.

You see where I'm going with this.
2120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / The margins
Offline
Posted 1/4/17

dreamnarcotic wrote:


auroraloose wrote:


dreamnarcotic wrote:

She didn't know the harm she was doing to the natural order of things. If Timmy is so stupid that he falls down a well repeatedly, then natural selection should have claimed his life a long time ago.


Natural selection also brought about the situation in which dogs help humans and obey their orders. "Survival of the fittest" should not be so narrowly construed.


Timmy = retarded. Dogs = servile to the point of insanity.

You see where I'm going with this.


No, actually. What I see is what appears to be a common and troublesome misunderstanding of natural selection - bias towards subjective human opinions on survival and fitness. Human fitness includes the ability to manipulate our surroundings and problem-solve, and that led to the domestication of dogs. That Lassie can save Timmy is due to the evolutionary advantage Timmy possesses as a human.
Posted 1/4/17

auroraloose wrote:


dreamnarcotic wrote:


auroraloose wrote:


dreamnarcotic wrote:

She didn't know the harm she was doing to the natural order of things. If Timmy is so stupid that he falls down a well repeatedly, then natural selection should have claimed his life a long time ago.


Natural selection also brought about the situation in which dogs help humans and obey their orders. "Survival of the fittest" should not be so narrowly construed.


Timmy = retarded. Dogs = servile to the point of insanity.

You see where I'm going with this.


No, actually. What I see is what appears to be a common and troublesome misunderstanding of natural selection - bias towards subjective human opinions on survival and fitness. Human fitness includes the ability to manipulate our surroundings and problem-solve, and that led to the domestication of dogs. That Lassie can save Timmy is due to the evolutionary advantage Timmy possesses as a human.


So we manipulated the will of dogs to serve our selfish endeavors. How Utilitarian.
2120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / The margins
Offline
Posted 1/4/17

dreamnarcotic wrote:


auroraloose wrote:


dreamnarcotic wrote:


auroraloose wrote:


dreamnarcotic wrote:

She didn't know the harm she was doing to the natural order of things. If Timmy is so stupid that he falls down a well repeatedly, then natural selection should have claimed his life a long time ago.


Natural selection also brought about the situation in which dogs help humans and obey their orders. "Survival of the fittest" should not be so narrowly construed.


Timmy = retarded. Dogs = servile to the point of insanity.

You see where I'm going with this.


No, actually. What I see is what appears to be a common and troublesome misunderstanding of natural selection - bias towards subjective human opinions on survival and fitness. Human fitness includes the ability to manipulate our surroundings and problem-solve, and that led to the domestication of dogs. That Lassie can save Timmy is due to the evolutionary advantage Timmy possesses as a human.


So we manipulated the will of dogs to serve our selfish endeavors. How Utilitarian.


That's natural selection for you. Though it's also true that domesticated dogs don't have to worry much about food and shelter, so they do get something out of it. And mutualism in general is a thing that happens.
2120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / The margins
Offline
Posted 1/4/17
Lassie was not evil. She was merely doing what was in her nature, and participating in nature's mutual relationship between dog and human. That that thwarted the predators from feeding upon poor Timmy is just nature's way.

So no, Lassie was not evil - she was indifferent. And as Timmy climbed out of that well, he surely felt what it meant to be in command over nature: Any other animal would have died down there, but not Timmy. Timmy was Man, that born of nature with the power to control it - and the privilege to participate in nature's indifference. For all the creatures that day that needed Timmy for sustenance - they would starve. And Timmy didn't give a shit.
8829 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Ark-La-Tex
Offline
Posted 1/5/17
Just to be clear, I haven't seen her with Timmy. I'm talking about when she was working with the forest rangers.
8829 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Ark-La-Tex
Offline
Posted 1/5/17
She just attacked a fox that was trying to catch a squirrel. Hey, Lassie, the fox needs to eat too.
1373 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / ɪ ᴀᴍ ɴᴏᴛ ᴀ ʜᴇʀᴏ
Offline
Posted 1/6/17

ʜᴇʟʟʜᴏᴜɴᴅ ɪɴᴄᴀʀɴᴀᴛᴇ ツ

Posted 1/6/17 , edited 1/6/17
But Lassie was played by a male dog. Does that make her even more evil?
1373 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / ɪ ᴀᴍ ɴᴏᴛ ᴀ ʜᴇʀᴏ
Offline
Posted 1/6/17

Jackalope82 wrote:

But Lassie was played by a male dog. Does that make her even more evil?


Deceptively more so ツ
47837 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / SC
Offline
Posted 1/6/17

Jackalope82 wrote:

But Lassie was played by a male dog. Does that make her even more evil?


of course it does

there is no turning back for Lassie
Posted 1/6/17 , edited 1/6/17

geauxtigers1989 wrote:

Just to be clear, I haven't seen her with Timmy. I'm talking about when she was working with the forest rangers.

Oh Lassie's Rescue Rangers... yeah she did kill lots of critters in that. I watched it as a kid. That was back when we only had 5 or 6 channels to choose from, depending on how good your antenna was.

Ejanss 
16493 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/6/17 , edited 1/6/17
"We need a new network idea...That's it! 'A boy and his dog'--It's brand new! It's never been done before!"
"But sir, what about the educational message?"
"Are you kidding? It's loaded with message: 'Be nice to your dog...And he won't bite you.' You can't beat that for education!"

(Okay, so maybe the Jetsons' parody was funnier in places than the Flintstones' one.)
Posted 1/6/17
If Lassie was that mean, then Benji must have been one bad pup. He tricked a wolf into jumping off a cliff.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.