First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Post Reply Dem on CNN: Not sure if race based kidnapping and torture was hate crime
39740 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Georgia, USA
Offline
Posted 1/5/17 , edited 1/6/17
http://www.mediaite.com/online/that-is-not-a-hate-crime-democratic-strategist-gives-her-thoughts-on-chicago-torture-video/


After calling it “sickening,” Sanders gave the following observation: “But I’m gonna say something that’s probably not very popular — we cannot callously go about classifying things as a hate crime.”


Here is a quote from the original live stream of the torture of the special needs man

his ass deserve it, his ass from europe, he from the caucus mountains, he sit in the sun all day he gone perish, he sit in the sun all day he gone die, his ass a parasite, he a bug, really



Do you think it was a hate crime?
10938 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 1/5/17 , edited 1/6/17
Yeah, obviously I think its a hate crime.
Posted 1/5/17 , edited 1/6/17
Considering it was based primarily on race - it would easily classify as a hate crime. Sanders may just be trying to rationalize that there could be other motives that we're not aware of at this time; however, to make a claim that it isn't a hate crime (and knowing full-well that it isn't a popular opinion) doesn't seem rational. I would agree to the first point, if my assumption was correct (that we may not know everything outside of the Facebook video itself). However, from the evidence supplied: it's clearly a hate crime.
39740 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Georgia, USA
Offline
Posted 1/5/17 , edited 1/6/17
I don't get the "That's* hot" maymay.
The girls weren't hot at all, they were crackheads.
Posted 1/5/17 , edited 1/8/17
I'm sure it was all just a simple misunderstanding.
Posted 1/5/17 , edited 1/6/17

Amyas_Leigh wrote:

I don't get the "That's* hot" maymay.
The girls weren't hot at all, they were crackheads.


"That's hot" = "The way Amyas quoted that horrible line from the video is hot."

Mostly making fun of the fact that yet another thread has come up about this and that the quote is "emasculating" the individual (which, unfortunately, some people have a bias towards experiencing).
1695 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 1/5/17
I don't think the police are having trouble labeling this as a hate crime.

The sad part is they are having trouble deciding if it was a kidnapping. Since the retarded victim knew one of the perpetrators from when they went to school together, it's unclear if going to the suburbs where the victim lives, stealing a van, and taking the victim back to the place of torment is actually kidnapping. I'm guessing it's because they don't know from what point he was tied up...

Yea, Chicago must have different standards for what constitutes kidnapping.

But at least they didn't do anything serious, like kill the man. Just some nice traumatizing with the beating, chocking, and partial scalping. These four 18 year old teenagers probably just need some community service. Ya know, let them censor Facebook or something for a week.
10938 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 1/5/17

ninjitsuko wrote:

Considering it was based primarily on race - it would easily classify as a hate crime. Sanders may just be trying to rationalize that there could be other motives that we're not aware of at this time; however, to make a claim that it isn't a hate crime (and knowing full-well that it isn't a popular opinion) doesn't seem rational. I would agree to the first point, if my assumption was correct (that we may not know everything outside of the Facebook video itself). However, from the evidence supplied: it's clearly a hate crime.


I get where you're coming from but I would still argue that it's definitely still a hate crime no matter what new info is presented. Even if it turns out that racism was not the primary motivation I think we can all agree that it was at the very least a secondary one.
39740 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Georgia, USA
Offline
Posted 1/5/17

ninjitsuko wrote:

Considering it was based primarily on race - it would easily classify as a hate crime. Sanders may just be trying to rationalize that there could be other motives that we're not aware of at this time


The only thing I can think of is political motivation which would make it the textbook definition of terrorism.
The victim is special needs and doesn't live in Chicago which leads me to believe they didn't know each other.
qwueri 
20018 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 1/5/17
Could have to do with the Chicago police investigating the incident making statements that it may not be.


Chicago police say they're investigating the motive, but "we do not believe the victim was targeted because of his race or because of a political affiliation," Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said Thursday.


It's possible the racially charged statements were little more than people "ranting about something they think might make a headline," Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson said.
He said he did not believe the attack was politically motivated, but called it "sickening."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/05/us/chicago-facebook-live-beating/index.html

It could also have to do with the victim being special needs and at least one of the assailants knew him.


The victim knew at least one of his accused attackers from school, Duffin said. Though he may have voluntarily gotten into a van with the group, police are considering kidnapping charges.
Police in Streamwood said that after the man was reported missing, his parents began getting text messages from someone "claiming to be holding him captive."


I'm inclined to think that even if the statements were made purely to arouse a reaction out of the victim or viewers on facebook, it should still probably be labeled a hate crime. They were clearly trying to make a statement in their violence.
Posted 1/5/17
I wasn't attempting to state that it wasn't a hate crime. Just trying to play devil's advocate with the quote from the democrat that was posted in the OP. I like to try to understand why someone has said something so irrational and that was the best I could possibly come up with.


octorockandroll wrote:

I get where you're coming from but I would still argue that it's definitely still a hate crime no matter what new info is presented. Even if it turns out that racism was not the primary motivation I think we can all agree that it was at the very least a secondary one.


Yeah, regardless of the technicalities, there's aspects here that correlate to a hate crime (in some degree one way or another).


Amyas_Leigh wrote:

The only thing I can think of is political motivation which would make it the textbook definition of terrorism.
The victim is special needs and doesn't live in Chicago which leads me to believe they didn't know each other.


And there's that. The evidence we have at this moment basically states that there's no other motive than the ones stated in the video itself. As mentioned above, I wasn't trying to justify her comment - just rationalize it as much as possible to try to understand under what "logic" she would have used to reach that conclusion. Sorry if my comments are taken in any other way.
39740 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Georgia, USA
Offline
Posted 1/5/17 , edited 1/5/17

7:45 a.m.

Chicago police say they don't believe a man beaten in an assault broadcast live on Facebook was targeted because he was white.

Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said Thursday morning that charges are expected soon against four black suspects. Guglielmi says the suspects made "terrible racist statements" during the attack, but that investigators believe the victim was targeted because he has special needs, not because of his race.



Police say it's too soon to determine whether the attack was racially motivated.


http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/latest-police-race-motive-video-attack-44570046

I feel ill. This country is going down a dark path.
25640 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Atlanta, GA, USA
Online
Posted 1/5/17
Not much to say other than it's a hate crime and deserves the harsher punishments described by those laws.
Posted 1/5/17

Amyas_Leigh wrote:
I feel ill. This country is going down a dark path.


Admittedly, I disagree with the progression this is making but I happen to understand the reasons why. The "why" is something that would also disgust you; as it appears that the police want to ensure that they're not starting a civil outbreak by stating it's a hate crime. In other words, one of your trigger words: being "politically correct" about the situation. Plus, they have to take the time to review all of the information they can obtain. Like I said: to me, it's a clear-cut hate crime based on the evidence we have (the offenders' own video on Facebook). Police officers are required to dig a little deeper.

It's both a politically charged issue as well as a racial one. They're just trying to ensure they get their facts straight before jumping into what could be that same dark path you're foreseeing. Unfortunately, mainstream media is quick to quote and not fact check (as you and I both know at this point) and only adds to the frustration of those who are trying to keep an updated view of the ongoings of this particular case. But as for the OP - my views are the same as I've cited a few times already.
Posted 1/5/17 , edited 1/5/17
I'm sure the 4 suspects involved were all outstanding members of their community, who were just trying to turn their lives around from the massive oppression of the pale-skinned devil. They just got sidetracked by a little minor torture of a special needs white man while accidently streaming the event to social media. Nothing to see here, move along.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.