First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Are people tone deaf when they hear themselves sing?
Posted 1/12/17
Usually, yes. Without recording, we literally sound different to ourselves.
9289 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Masshole
Offline
Posted 1/12/17
Most definitely. When i watch a recording video on me speaking, I am dumbfound (to the point where I hate my voice lol)
53787 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / FL
Offline
Posted 1/12/17

Sogno- wrote:

kinda

i sing for a choir, def always sound better when im not singing by myself lol


*3* , still hasn't heard you sinf
Posted 1/12/17 , edited 1/14/17
I think so. My brother loves to sing, but he's so awful. It's actually kinda funny though
Posted 1/12/17
My voice sound different in a recorder. I fucking hate my voice.
55111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
101 / M
Offline
Posted 1/13/17
Everyone love my singing! They have to, or they'll get their head chop off!!! After all I'm Marcus Octavius from Highlander: The search of Vengence! :p

495 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 1/13/17
In general, and usually yes.

When we use our vocal cords we have a muscle reflex in the ear drum that actually makes it more difficult for us to hear ourselves. It's a reflex that allows us to hear other sounds (like other people speaking) when we are speaking. In some individuals this can result in them being naturally tone-deaf. Others that have weak reflexes will be able to hear themselves clearly.

That's also why most people tend to think they sound differently when they hear a recording of themselves. Because they're used to hearing themselves only under the damped action of the muscle reflex.
mxdan 
11202 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / A Husk.
Online
Posted 1/13/17 , edited 1/13/17
I used to think I was tone deaf because I could never hit the notes I wanted to correctly even though I knew in my head how they should sound. It comes down to practice though and scaling different areas of your vocal range. Eventually the idea of how the note should sound and your actually vocal production start to match up.

Also, you need to warm up. Every time. It makes a huge difference.
Banned
371 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 1/14/17

Rujikin wrote:


jhanna_12 wrote:

Maybe!! When I sing, I thought I definitely sounded awesome, until I record it and hear it for myself and I can't stop cringing as to how bad it sounded Dx adding reverb makes it better tho


Throw some techno on and your be fine


I think you mean auto tune lol. Just ask any modern pop "singers".
Banned
371 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 1/14/17

JanusCascade wrote:

Everyone love my singing! They have to, or they'll get their head chop off!!! After all I'm Marcus Octavius from Highlander: The search of Vengence! :p



Yeah, but he got his head chopped off in the end. That was a dope movie btw.
55111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
101 / M
Offline
Posted 1/14/17

johnnymcool wrote:


JanusCascade wrote:

Everyone love my singing! They have to, or they'll get their head chop off!!! After all I'm Marcus Octavius from Highlander: The search of Vengence! :p



Yeah, but he got his head chopped off in the end. That was a dope movie btw.



That was my double! I'm still alive btw! -winks-
Do you really truly believe that barbarian could behead me?!

29741 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 1/14/17 , edited 1/14/17
yes i used to be in choir and can even say that...

i still sing whilst im walking in public despite knowing how bad i sound...cause i don't give a shit what people think of me might aswell enjoy yourself singing whether you sound good or not.

practice makes perfect!
478 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / O / Massachusetts, USA
Offline
Posted 1/14/17 , edited 1/14/17
Honestly prefer people singing than whistling, never have been bothered by it and it's entertaining. Maybe we just grow to hate what people who we don't get along with do for enjoyment? A sibling or a parent for example..

I heard a rumor if you use your hands as walls behind your ears (or was it in front of your ears?), you'll hear yourself the way others do
4670 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M / The Shire, England
Offline
Posted 1/14/17
WELL,ODB  IS  THE  BEST  SINGER  OF  ALL  TIME
Banned
371 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 1/14/17

JanusCascade wrote:


johnnymcool wrote:


JanusCascade wrote:

Everyone love my singing! They have to, or they'll get their head chop off!!! After all I'm Marcus Octavius from Highlander: The search of Vengence! :p



Yeah, but he got his head chopped off in the end. That was a dope movie btw.



That was my double! I'm still alive btw! -winks-
Do you really truly believe that barbarian could behead me?!



lol There can be only one!
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.