First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply Russian Embassy Tweets Pepe the Frog Meme, Upsets SJWs
15059 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/9/17
I don't recall any crane meme arising from the heavy use of this 'Pepe' thing. They missed a chance.
Posted 1/9/17
Pepe will end Obama's second cold war.
runec 
36337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/9/17 , edited 1/10/17
Meanwhile, the president elect is having a shit fit on Twitter because Meryl Streep was mean to him.

6895 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Temple of Yaoiism
Offline
Posted 1/9/17

octorockandroll wrote:


Dogempire wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:

Why do you keep going on about that? Weren't those polls regarding the popular vote? Hillary on that pretty fair and square last I checked.


That's the first time I mentioned it, and even if it was regarding the popular vote, you would think a media outlet would know that the popular vote doesn't always win the presidency, and that it's the electoral college that decides.




...huh? What you seem to be saying here, unless I'm misunderstanding, is you would expect a news channel's poll to reflect the decisions of the electoral college? How does that work?


I phrased that poorly I suppose.

The specific tweet I was referencing was this one:




You'd think their predictions would be based off of which states are expected to vote for which candidate, and therefore which candidate gets the state's electoral votes, rather than what you suggested about the popular vote.

Either way, there were a lot of factors in the election and I'm not familiar with how they arrived to their percentage prediction, but a 98.1% chance seems heavily biased considering the actual outcome, so it's no wonder some people aren't listening to the media after a majority of people were led to believe Hillary would win for sure leading up to her eventual defeat.

11816 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 1/9/17

runec wrote:

Meanwhile, the president elect is having a shit fit on Twitter because Meryl Streep was mean to him.



Oh my god XD did he actually do that? Did Streep even actually address him at all?
6895 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Temple of Yaoiism
Offline
Posted 1/9/17

KennethKenstar wrote:


Dogempire wrote:


KennethKenstar wrote:


Dogempire wrote:


KennethKenstar wrote:

Love the contrast between my topic and this one.

Crunchyroll Liberals worried about the fact that the President-Elect is a complete fraud and a liar.

Crunchyroll Conservatives worried about memes and whats happening on Twitter




Because conservatives don't listen to the same media outlets that said Hillary had a 98% chance of winning.




Twitter? Fox News?

Also, you said you didn't vote because Lion King taught you about Hakuna-Matata, right? I remember.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-975549/lmao-so-hows-draining-the-swamp-working-out-america#55330771



Funny how you have to bring that up.





It has EVERYTHING to do with your point.


Pretty sure me not voting doesn't invalidate my opinion, you're just looking for excuses not to listen to me.



15248 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 1/9/17

Dogempire wrote:
The specific tweet I was referencing was this one:

You'd think their predictions would be based off of which states are expected to vote for which candidate, and therefore which candidate gets the state's electoral votes, rather than what you suggested about the popular vote.

Either way, there were a lot of factors in the election and I'm not familiar with how they arrived to their percentage prediction, but a 98.1% chance seems heavily biased considering the actual outcome, so it's no wonder some people aren't listening to the media after a majority of people were led to believe Hillary would win for sure leading up to her eventual defeat.



Polling models are primarily based off of polls and past trends. What this means is that polling models look at the data gained from polls (typically things such as telephone polls which use a (theoretically) random sample to make a statement about how the general public plans to vote) and contextualize it by using how accurate/biased those polls have been in the past. The actual percentage varies based on the sample of polls the aggregate pulls in, how their mathematical models work specifically and what other data the polls pull from (some like 538's polls plus model also look at things like economic trends and how they effect polling). Some polls also use a different metric of "what percentage of polls predict a Clinton win" which imo is an inferior model because if everyone predicts a 50.1/49.9 Clinton win, it can't differentiate between "100% of polls suggest a Clinton win" and "There is a 100% chance of a Clinton win". I'm not sure how HuffPo's polling model works.

So why were polls so wrong on Trump? Well the main reason is likely that this election didn't really follow the trends of past elections. Both candidates were atypical and election season was atypical and the voting body was fairly different from what we saw the last few elections. Because of that, you lose context in your polling data. This isn't something mathematical models can really account for (or at least without getting extremely complicated and probably tanking the precision which makes it functionally worthless).

Using inaccurate polling data as a reason to distrust the media doesn't really make very much sense. Perhaps the media could have done a better job contextualizing what their "98.1%" actually meant in theory (because it sure as shit doesn't mean 98.1% in practice) but thats like getting mad at scientists when we learned Pluto wasn't a planet (or rather that there are many other Pluto sized bodies in our solar system). It doesn't really make much sense.

PS: Most polling models do account for each state individually and then combine all of that data (as well as national polls) to predict the electoral college. The math was just wrong here.
runec 
36337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/9/17 , edited 1/10/17

octorockandroll wrote:


runec wrote:

Meanwhile, the president elect is having a shit fit on Twitter because Meryl Streep was mean to him.



Oh my god XD did he actually do that? Did Streep even actually address him at all?


She didn't call him out by name but referenced him making fun of a disabled reporter. However, Trump is forever obsessed with what everyone says about him. Especially the "cool kids". He is, after all, essentially a spoiled 12 year old girl in terms of temperament.

And yes, to quote his twitter rant:


Meryl Streep, one of the most over-rated actresses in Hollywood, doesn't know me but attacked last night at the Golden Globes. She is a.....

Hillary flunky who lost big. For the 100th time, I never "mocked" a disabled reporter (would never do that) but simply showed him.......

"groveling" when he totally changed a 16 year old story that he had written in order to make me look bad. Just more very dishonest media!


What "grovelling" might look like:




11816 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 1/9/17

runec wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:


runec wrote:

Meanwhile, the president elect is having a shit fit on Twitter because Meryl Streep was mean to him.



Oh my god XD did he actually do that? Did Streep even actually address him at all?


She didn't call him out by name but referenced him making fun of a disabled reporter. However, Trump is forever obsessed with what everyone says about him. Especially the "cool kids". He is, after all, essentially a spoiled 12 year old girl in terms of temperament.

And yes, to quote his twitter rant:


Meryl Streep, one of the most over-rated actresses in Hollywood, doesn't know me but attacked last night at the Golden Globes. She is a.....

Hillary flunky who lost big. For the 100th time, I never "mocked" a disabled reporter (would never do that) but simply showed him.......

"groveling" when he totally changed a 16 year old story that he had written in order to make me look bad. Just more very dishonest media!


What "grovelling" might look like:






Oh wow.

It's every bit as great as I expected. I especially love how he gets on her shit for criticising someone she does not personally know. Thank god Dolan never does anything like that, amirite?
17710 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 1/9/17

Rujikin wrote:

The twitter is full of butthurt and loaded words from SJW's assuming pepe's identity.

Does anyone else find it hillarious that liberals and SJW's are going nuts whenever they see a green frog that is the symbol of shitposting and trolling.

To liberals/SJW's: Why do you even believe that it is a "white nationalist" symbol, it's not even white or human.
If you really want an answer, go to twitter and ask the people who actually made those post.
8997 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Palm Coast, Florida
Offline
Posted 1/9/17
Way to go, to turn this thread into another political fight...
qwueri 
21133 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 1/9/17

octorockandroll wrote:

Oh wow.

It's every bit as great as I expected. I especially love how he gets on her shit for criticising someone she does not personally know. Thank god Dolan never does anything like that, amirite?


Would be even better with Mark Hamill reading it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XRue9Vx-8c
11816 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 1/9/17

qwueri wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:

Oh wow.

It's every bit as great as I expected. I especially love how he gets on her shit for criticising someone she does not personally know. Thank god Dolan never does anything like that, amirite?


Would be even better with Mark Hamill reading it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XRue9Vx-8c


I don't even get why people think those two fit together so well. The Joker is a mad but dignified and imposing character. Trump, well...

qwueri 
21133 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 1/9/17 , edited 1/9/17

octorockandroll wrote:

I don't even get why people think those two fit together so well. The Joker is a mad but dignified and imposing character. Trump, well...



Well, Trump is no Lex Luthor. And just about every other supervillain with a sense of self preservation doesn't trust the Joker.

But seriously, it's just how cartoonishly antagonistic some of Trump's tweets are.
11291 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 1/9/17
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.