First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Rewrite 2nd season Moon / Terra Discussion
14249 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 3/27/17

jcal94 wrote:


abeltensro wrote:

This anime was not meant for some one who had never played Rewrite because it doesn't provide enough information about the plot to really follow or get into (ripping 5 of the 6 heroine routes out of a visual novel can do that).


I don't think you really have any basis to say that, considering you say you're a huge fan of the VN, meaning you know the story there. As someone who has first come across Rewrite in anime form, I highly enjoyed the series, even though it had its faults, and it has gotten me highly interested in the VN (although I'm gonna wait for the official English release that's in the works). So it actually does do a good job of pulling in people who haven't read through Rewrite, and from what I've seen, people who haven't read the VN like the show and are now interested in the VN, while it's only the VN-first crew that are acting like this is the highest form of blasphemy. Heck, going into this whole thing, the VN crowd should have known they couldn't animate an entire visual novel that relies on playing the multiple routes in just 12-24 episodes. This helped raise awareness of the series for people who haven't heard of Rewrite before the anime, and it did its job well.


Exactly, you would be surprised my umineko fandom started with the bad anime. Some people can enjoy stuff even if the animation isn't that great, in fact this season pretty much proves that with kemono friends taking the number 1 spot in Japan. As far as the vn fans, there are quite a few (including myself) that say the 2nd season of rewrite was a huge step up from the first. When you look at the spread of episodes, they really did give moon and Terra quite a bit of time.

If you go back in history you see all these people saying we want a rewrite anime, then when they announce it everyone backs off and is like nvm jk 8bit sucks. I remember people saying that the white fox 2nd op "wasn't good enough studio to do a rewrite anime." It is just a bunch of people nitpicking everything. Even if Kyoto animation animated it, people might of just said , "oh this sucks wasn't long enough/too rushed only good thing is great animation." In other words some people are just harder than others to please. I am not that picky tbh so I liked the rewrite anime (mainly 2nd season 1st was even slightly under my standards tbh). It could of been so much better yes, but you can take the clannad anime/<insert your favorite anime here> and say it could of been better. It will meet some peoples standards, vn readers or not, but overall it will attract more attention to rewrite.
106470 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 3/28/17
is this right? VN people.


27095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Tokyo, Japan
Offline
Posted 3/28/17

jcal94 wrote:


abeltensro wrote:

This anime was not meant for some one who had never played Rewrite because it doesn't provide enough information about the plot to really follow or get into (ripping 5 of the 6 heroine routes out of a visual novel can do that).


I don't think you really have any basis to say that, considering you say you're a huge fan of the VN, meaning you know the story there. As someone who has first come across Rewrite in anime form, I highly enjoyed the series, even though it had its faults, and it has gotten me highly interested in the VN (although I'm gonna wait for the official English release that's in the works). So it actually does do a good job of pulling in people who haven't read through Rewrite, and from what I've seen, people who haven't read the VN like the show and are now interested in the VN, while it's only the VN-first crew that are acting like this is the highest form of blasphemy. Heck, going into this whole thing, the VN crowd should have known they couldn't animate an entire visual novel that relies on playing the multiple routes in just 12-24 episodes. This helped raise awareness of the series for people who haven't heard of Rewrite before the anime, and it did its job well.


There is certainly a basis to say what I did. There are many large important plot elements that are either just glossed over or completely removed from the anime. With most of the other Key Visual Novels, each of the different heroine routes tends to stand on its own for the most part. What I mean by this, is that for the most part, the other characters were not really a large part of these other routes and they would usually focus on the main character and the heroine who you choose. In Rewrite, this is not really the case. When you go down Chihaya's route for instance, the story works to also develop Akane, Sakuya and all of the other characters (even if its only in small amounts). You don't just lock into one character's story and have the rest disappear as a result.

This ultimately, causes a problem with the translation from the Visual Novel to anime, especially since they decided to only cover earth-Kagari's route (a route which wasn't even a part of the original novel). Because it really takes 5 (or 6 in the case of rewrite plus) playthroughs to fully get the fleshed out common storyline as well as the proper character and concept development, it is impossible to really translate all of that into an anime due to the non-linear nature of the story.

While perhaps the presence of an anime put the rewrite visual novel onto your radar, it also is a shame that by watching this fairly mediocre anime, you were spoiled on many of the larger story elements of an excellent game. The Rewrite Anime and the Rewrite Visual Novel are not even the same story in many places (due to changes and omissions) and this really makes me think that many anime only viewers would have been better suited just finding the English release of Rewrite Plus on steam one day.
27095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Tokyo, Japan
Offline
Posted 3/28/17

AnimeKami wrote:

is this right? VN people.




yeah that is an accurate depiction of the story line from a chronological standpoint as well as a a game play stand point. However, because you need to unlock Akane's and Shizuru's route from Chihaya's and Lucia's routes respectively, it would make more sense to have those routes link together in the left side rather then have them all play out side by side.

Also, with the newer Rewrite Plus, I am fairly certain that the Anime/Kagari route will appear as an unlockable route after your complete Kotori's common route. So yeah it exists in the visual novel, it just probably doesn't suck...
jcal94 
18566 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Central Illinois
Offline
Posted 3/28/17


I said there is no basis because you say it doesn't provide enough info to follow or get into the plot, but I was able to follow and get into the plot just fine with the anime being my starting point. AKA, it DOES provide enough info about the plot to follow and get into it. But it also leaves out just enough that it entices me to want to go and fully experience the world. It is not a shame at all that I watched this instead of waiting for whenever Rewrite+ comes out in America and quite possibly gets shadowed by other releases at the time. I'm now going to be actively looking for the series instead of MAYBE stumbling upon it one day.

And sometimes, an anime spoiling some story elements of a VN isn't a bad thing, and can even be a good thing. VNs are BIG time investments for being just reading something. They can often feel like they drag on, and can lose out to more immersive games for many people easily. Example: I played the one route of Katawa Shoujo I wanted, and then haven't touched the game since. There hasn't been any big reason for me to, as I did the route for my best girl first, and there's really only one other route where she's even relevant.

But then you take, say, Rewrite and Fate/Stay Night. The anime have given me "spoilers" for each series, but they're still on my radar, partly because a series isn't always about one big reveal, and is often worse when it is. A good series pulls you in, and gets you interested in the journey. That's what Rewrite and the F/SN(ufotable) anime have done for me. Heck, even when the spoilers are from somewhere besides an anime, it can be encouraging. I played through 999 and Virtue's Last Reward before ever hearing of the Infinity series, but after playing VLR and hearing about BW, it got me interested in Infinity, and I ended up playing through every route for all 3 main games because of that. I invested easily 80+ hours into a series simply because of ONE spoiler. And that's because that spoiler intrigued me and I wanted to experience the JOURNEY to that DESTINATION. And it was well worth it.

So, to clarify, your subjective, biased thoughts on the Rewrite anime do not convert to objective fact at all, and you really need to understand that while the anime may have not been your cup of tea (if it was even aimed at you and others who already played the series in the first place), there are people who enjoyed it. You yourself even said "Because it really takes 5 (or 6 in the case of rewrite plus) playthroughs to fully get the fleshed out common storyline as well as the proper character and concept development, it is impossible to really translate all of that into an anime due to the non-linear nature of the story.", so WHY did you even expect something good in the first place from your point of view? I think that's the big question, here...
43610 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / East Coast
Online
Posted 4/17/17
Rewrite 2 EP 23 / 24

I could write a lot but out of time / but all the different rewrites made it intersting and was glasd Kagari wasnt alone in the end and got the "KISS"
1234 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/21/17
As a university student with background in cultural anthropology, I find some analogy between summoner and superhuman to individualist culture and collectivist culture respectively. This analog is less apparent in the political structure of their respective organization and their relation to society but it is more apparent in the main plot relation. People in the individualist culture will attempt to change the world instead of themselves in response to hardship so they can maintain consistency of self across different situations. People in the collectivist culture, in contrast, will attempt to change themselves instead of their world to maintain harmony with others.

This individualist/collectivist analogy can be applied to the cultural difference between the Western nations and other nations, between the high class and the working class, and between the social liberal and the social conservative. The monster, or familiar in the visual novel, have some analogy to the misconception by people of the individualist culture toward the collectivist culture; namely, the belief that people in the collectivist culture: response passively to the external world, engage in a one-sided relation, and be completely dependent toward a specific totalitarian figure. In my experience, the apocalpse in Rewrite remind me of a few individualistic Capitalists who belief that the whole world will end just because they, themselves, cannot adapt to the changing world.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.