First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Ringling Brothers Gone
19393 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/14/17 , edited 1/14/17
Posted 1/14/17 , edited 1/14/17
Double post, and
Ejanss 
16967 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/14/17 , edited 1/14/17
They've been maliciously Sea Worlded.

(Although I do have to admit that Big Apple Circus was always better, and Cirque du Soleil took over all of Las Vegas.)
39169 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/14/17 , edited 1/14/17
I went to the circus, for my elementary school field trip, in Milwaukee, WI. It was so much fun... Wow... A piece of American culture, gone forever.
59246 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
colorful colorado
Offline
Posted 1/14/17 , edited 1/14/17
I went once in primary school. I always loved there posters.
21115 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / SoFlo
Online
Posted 1/14/17 , edited 1/14/17
Dropping the elephants hit them hard I guess.
21696 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Leanbox, Gameindu...
Offline
Posted 1/14/17 , edited 1/14/17
I've been to the Ringling Brothers circus twice, always was a lot of fun, shame to hear this.
635 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / Earth 616
Offline
Posted 1/14/17 , edited 1/15/17
Good riddance to animal cruelty.
lawdog 
44933 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/15/17

SoupReaper wrote:

Good riddance to animal cruelty.


If I'd never seen circus elephants as a child, I would have nowhere near the appreciation and awe for those animals I saw, especially elephants, that I have today.

And like that, the personal interaction so many people had with animals is dying, being killed off by those who profess to protect them. So when those species go extinct, because no one cares about them, this will be why.
144 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / California
Offline
Posted 1/15/17
Used to always go to a ringling bros show every year till I was 10 with my family. It's sad to see such an iconic american show go, but with more people becoming aware of how abusive the handlers treat the animals, and with them pulling the elephants, which I believe is why a majority of people used to go see a show, it was only a matter of time till it was going to end.
152 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 1/15/17 , edited 1/15/17

lawdog wrote:


SoupReaper wrote:

Good riddance to animal cruelty.


If I'd never seen circus elephants as a child, I would have nowhere near the appreciation and awe for those animals I saw, especially elephants, that I have today.

And like that, the personal interaction so many people had with animals is dying, being killed off by those who profess to protect them. So when those species go extinct, because no one cares about them, this will be why.

There's this thing called a zoo. I'm not sure if you'd heard of it, yet. It's this place where people can go and look at exotic animals, and, when run correctly, involves...

get this

no animal abuse! WHAT A SHOCKER!
635 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / Earth 616
Offline
Posted 1/15/17 , edited 1/15/17

lawdog wrote:


SoupReaper wrote:

Good riddance to animal cruelty.


If I'd never seen circus elephants as a child, I would have nowhere near the appreciation and awe for those animals I saw, especially elephants, that I have today.

And like that, the personal interaction so many people had with animals is dying, being killed off by those who profess to protect them. So when those species go extinct, because no one cares about them, this will be why.


I love animals, lions, giraffes, sharks, seals, you name it. I've never interacted with any of them though. However, I did watch documentaries on them and it has inspired me to appreciate the animal kingdom. The point is, you don't have to see them perform to fall in love with them. Go to a nonprofit zoo, learn about the animals, and protect them by donating to charities. Protest against the poaching industry, hunting games, animal cruelty, etc.

If you're trying to say the circus cared and protected these animals, you're wrong. They were simply used for human entertainment and seen as lucrative.
The right place to look for what you described would be a sanctuary. Similarly to what happened to Sea World, it is not advised for the orcas to be released back into the wild since some of them were bred in captivity. So the alternative was for them to be sent to a sanctuary where they would be free to live the rest of their lives without having to work and perform just to earn their meal. They would still be taken cared of and protected.
Posted 1/15/17 , edited 1/15/17


Except zoos are also accused of animal cruelty, and, in recent years, there has been a stubborn push to have them shut down throughout the states.

Hell, even sanctuaries are getting shit.
48838 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 1/15/17
To be honest, I've never been.
Posted 1/15/17
Yeah, this was sort of expected. With more awareness of their animal cruelty, people stopped going to see them. On top of some of the extremes that kept pushing it along, somehow or another, people just started to lose interest. Circuses are kind of a dying thing - mostly because the realm of interaction is getting further and further away from the "real world". It's nice that they lasted so long but I think it's about that time for them to close up the tent for good.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.