First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Have you ever given anything to the homeless?
656 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 1/15/17
No but I'd like to.
1066 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Houston
Offline
Posted 1/15/17
I have but no longer do, after watching my friends parents pan handle faking being homeless and making roughly 100k in a year... That is just one of the many reasons just don't do anything for them anymore.
37091 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 1/16/17
I tend to feel weird, like a braggart, when I say I have, but yes, I have. The results have been mixed, but more good than bad.
656 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 1/16/17

BlueOni wrote:

I tend to feel weird, like a braggart, when I say I have, but yes, I have. The results have been mixed, but more good than bad.


I know what you mean. I hate giving myself any credit. I don't like the feel.
37091 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 1/16/17 , edited 1/16/17

SuperRad-PrimeSupreme wrote:

I know what you mean. I hate giving myself any credit. I don't like the feel.


For me it's sort of a religious thing. See, a lot of the gospel dedicated to criticism of the Pharisees points to their performance of good deeds for the sake of soliciting praise, admiration, and promotion of their station within their religious communities. They do good things, but they don't do them for good reasons, and when they brag about what they've done they basically taint those deeds with that selfishness. Matthew 6:2 hits this directly, saying:


So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.


It's something that always comes to my mind when I'm asked about what sort of kindnesses I've offered to strangers, or the homeless, or the hungry, or whoever. I tend to feel like if I talk about that I'm undoing the good I've done by associating it with myself rather than taking it as a given that this is simply what anyone ought to do and that my doing it is nothing special at all.
656 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 1/16/17

BlueOni wrote:


SuperRad-PrimeSupreme wrote:

I know what you mean. I hate giving myself any credit. I don't like the feel.


For me it's sort of a religious thing. See, a lot of the gospel dedicated to criticism of the Pharisees points to their performance of good deeds for the sake of soliciting phrase, admiration, and promotion of their station within their religious communities. They do good things, but they don't do them for good reasons, and when they brag about what they've done they basically taint those deeds with that selfishness. Matthew 6:2 hits this directly, saying:


So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.


It's something that always comes to my mind when I'm asked about what sort of kindnesses I've offered to strangers, or the homeless, or the hungry, or whoever. I tend to feel like if I talk about that I'm undoing the good I've done by associating it with myself rather than taking it as a given that this is simply what anyone ought to do and that my doing it is nothing special at all.


*gasp* you're a christian? Those are so rare here. You mean I'm not alone?
37091 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 1/16/17

SuperRad-PrimeSupreme wrote:

*gasp* you're a christian? Those are so rare here. You mean I'm not alone?


I'm the heretical liberal universalist type (and quite agnostic to boot), but yes, I am.
656 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 1/16/17

BlueOni wrote:


SuperRad-PrimeSupreme wrote:

*gasp* you're a christian? Those are so rare here. You mean I'm not alone?


I'm the heretical liberal universalist type (and quite agnostic to boot), but yes, I am.


How are you a christian and an agnostic?
37091 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 1/16/17

SuperRad-PrimeSupreme wrote:

How are you a christian and an agnostic?


All "agnostic" really means there is that I'm not entirely, 100% certain that what I believe is true. This as opposed to gnostic theism, which is essentially an absolutely certain assertion that this or that theistic outlook is true. I leave room for doubt and uncertainty. It's the theistic equivalent of saying "I could be wrong, but I don't think I am."
656 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 1/16/17

BlueOni wrote:


SuperRad-PrimeSupreme wrote:

How are you a christian and an agnostic?


All "agnostic" really means there is that I'm not entirely, 100% certain that what I believe is true. This as opposed to gnostic theism, which is essentially an absolutely certain assertion that this or that theistic outlook is true. I leave room for doubt and uncertainty. It's the theistic equivalent of saying "I could be wrong, but I don't think I am."


Oh. Well that's pretty much everyone. We don't KNOW. We believe.
37091 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 1/16/17

SuperRad-PrimeSupreme wrote:

Oh. Well that's pretty much everyone. We don't KNOW. We believe.


Not everyone, I'm afraid. There are plenty who are prepared to make statements such as "God doesn't exist!" or "God exists!" with absolute certainty. Regardless, we're diverging from the intended topic and should probably cease.
6235 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / O / US
Offline
Posted 1/16/17
Yes! I try to carry around bags of granola bars, trail mix. etc. and water in my car. I also give sacks of my clothes I never wear to the shelter each time I go through a wardrobe clean out. Which is about once every two years, I think.

A funny story comes to mind; My friends and I were leaving the grocery store, and this homeless woman was holding a sign on the street corner, so my friend rolled down her window and offered her some cash. Back then, I was really into Rupaul's Drag Race and "gay slang" and so it rubbed off on my friend, and she addressed the woman as "Hunty" and then said "have ya self a blessed day, mama" and my friend hit the gas because of how cringey it was. At least it's a running inside joke among my friends.
47185 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 1/16/17
No. I don't have the money to do that.
11439 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 1/16/17
Before my post secondary days when I had disposable income, I would regularly donate money to charitable organisations and give change to people on the streets. Nowadays I have way more expenses and can't really afford to do that but I still sometimes volunteer at soup kitchens and I also give my lunch to homeless people downtown if, for whatever reason, I end up not eating it.
1282 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/16/17
No; the Capitalist idea of individual choice as solution is unrealistic and impractical. The Capitalists even doubt their own emphasis on overpowered character who act without reason when they criticize the fake leftest that they make with their extensive hacking and impersonation. The Capitalists claim that the invisible hand will magically make individual choice work but that assume that the corporate will help the invisible hand enforce the system of punishment and reward without reason.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.