Need good anime suggestions
15 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 1/17/17
Hello. I'm a 26 year old male who's anime exposure basically consist og DBZ and whatever else can be seen on Toonami and Adult Swim growing up.

Growing up I saw DBZ obviously, and a good chunk of Yu Yu Hakusho and Inuyasha. I was never close friends with any anime fans to ever be pointed towards more before. Stumbling on TFS's DBZ Abridged years ago ignited DBZ nostalgia and turned me into a follower of anything DBZ and TFS. Following TFS has gotten me to than watch through Hellsing Ultimate and Attack on Titan. Besides that, I was lent Persona 4 and liked that a lot.

Playing Persona 4 made me curious about more types of anime besides ones that simply revolve around pure action and combat. I've been told about Durarara and watched through all of that and liked it. Besides all I mentioned I haven't seen or gotten into anything else

I am wondering if anybody got suggestions on what I should watch next based on what I mentioned. I tried the random button but I haven't had luck with that and getting into anything.
1795 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Azeroth
Offline
Posted 1/17/17 , edited 1/17/17
Fairy Tail? Akame ga kill; if not yet watched already.


Else, I can think of some FUNimation (non-Crunchyroll) titles such as "Eden of the East", "Last Exile", and others... BTW, English dub best for all..
15 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 1/17/17

TheGrandAlliance wrote:

Fairy Tail? Akame ga kill; if not yet watched already.


Else, I can think of some FUNimation (non-Crunchyroll) titles such as "Eden of the East", "Last Exile", and others... BTW, English dub best for all..


Never heard of any of those lol. I'm not joking about being in the dark on what to watch. I have not the slightest clue of anime trends besides hearing of Naruto and One Punch Pan, over what I mentioned in the OP.

I'm going to watch 2 episodes of Fairy Tail and go to bed. I'll take suggestions if they are on CR or not but I'd prefer to keep to stuff I can watch legally without having to pay. I've been guilty of watching DBS on other sites before knowing of CR
1795 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Azeroth
Offline
Posted 1/17/17 , edited 1/17/17
Ahh, u should watch dubs of these shows, esp since ur propensity of dubbed products.

If u like what u see, I suppose u can go where need be. They do exist on legal services (Aniplex, FUNimation). In the case of CR products/Winter Season... U may/may not like Chaos;Child, though this is a sciencey show.
15 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 1/17/17

TheGrandAlliance wrote:

Ahh, u should watch dubs of these shows, esp since ur propensity of dubbed products.

If u like what u see, I suppose u can go where need be. They do exist on legal services (Aniplex, FUNimation). In the case of CR products/Winter Season... U may/may not like Chaos;Child, though this is a sciencey show.


Far as subbed and dubbed, only time subbed was an issue was with more dialog packed episodes of Durarara before I realized there was a dub. Anything else I've seen some subbed on I was able to keep up with minimal pausing
SIB01 
1028 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/17/17
Persona 4 is fantastic, I spent 220 hours on that game completeing it twice through :)

I've been watching some older stuff recently between here and Netflix as well as some of the new shows, here's what I've enjoyed recenly:

Full metal Alchamist Brotherhood
Cowboy Bebop
Bungo Stray Dogs
Assasination classroom
Attack on Titan
Kuromukuro
Elfen Lied
Black Lagoon
Black Lagoon Roberta's Blood trail
Sword Art Online
Seven Deadly Sins
Mushi-shi
Terror in Resinance
Deathnote
Drifters
Samurai Champlo

I watched a few episodes of Durarara but just couldn't get into it

If you want more story rather than action then Elfen Lied, Terror in Resinance, Deathnote, and Assasination Classroom would be worth a look.
12 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M
Offline
Posted 1/17/17 , edited 1/17/17
Hey man, I got you.

Note: Some of these are from adult swim so you may have already seen them but I didn't see you list them so I thought I might as well mention them because they're absolutely amazing.

- Death Note (AMAZING strategy based anime. I show this anime to people who don't typically like anime, and they ALWAYS love it)(dub)
- Samurai Champloo (Slice of life, amazing soundtrack, fat hip-hop beats, amazing swordplay and thematics...I couldn't recommend this more)(dub)
- Fullmetal Alchemist (dub: watch the original first, then brotherhood, because if you watch brotherhood first you won't want to watch the original but it's still valuable to see Adult Swim's expansion from the manga)
- Eden of the East (dub)
- Code Geass (Death Note style strategy with politics)(sub or dub, both are good)
- Steins; Gate (I preferred the dub on this one, but both are good. Season 1 is mostly build-up so keep through until the season 1 finale)
- Tokyo Ghoul (I liked the sub more)
- Black Lagoon (for more of a Samurai Champloo vibe) (dub)
- Full Metal Panic (dub)

Bonus (pretty good but not PROFOUND)
- Angel Beats (dub or sub, either one works)
- Fairy Tail (I actually liked the dub over the sub, but I did watch the dub first so I may be bias. This show does magic AMAZINGLY but it peaks in season 1. I put it in the list because I noticed you really like DBZ, which makes me think you love long-running shows)
- Sword Art Online (either sub or dub works, whatever you prefer)

Now, this only scratches the surface. These are the anime's that are an ABSOLUTE must see in my solid opinion. I honestly wish I could wipe my memory and rewatch them.

I hope this helps
26190 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Various
Offline
Posted 1/17/17 , edited 1/17/17
- Eden of the East <3<3<3<3 I actually haven't seen the sub but I know two of my favorite seiyuu are the lead roles, and I love the dub, so either.

- Code Geass <3<3<3<3<3<3 Dub. The sub plays to the campy aspects, the dub plays to the emotional

- K <3<3<3<3<3<3<3 Dub.
- Durarara!! not my favorite (anymore; I used to cosplay Celty ^_^;) Sub and dub are both great.

Full Metal Panic is good, you'd probably like Samurai Champloo, Last Exile is good, Terror in Resonance is good.

Black Butler is considered a pretty boy show but it also has a lot of plot and action (and pretty girls, if you're into them). Start with Book of Circus, ignore the first couple of series, and read the manga if you like Book of Circus. Dub is good.
33606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / M / Side 6
Offline
Posted 1/17/17 , edited 1/17/17
Posted 1/17/17
Defiantly Time Of Eve, its only 6 episodes btw.

Naruto Shippiden is really good too in case you never watched that.

15 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/17/17
I have tons of recommendations of my youtube channel and a lot of them are pretty unknown shows.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK_rwHf-G0L6xWk7_IehbuQ
15 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 1/17/17 , edited 1/18/17
Thank you to everyone giving suggestions. It's nice having some starting direction


LavenderMintRose wrote:

- Eden of the East <3<3<3<3 I actually haven't seen the sub but I know two of my favorite seiyuu are the lead roles, and I love the dub, so either.

- Code Geass <3<3<3<3<3<3 Dub. The sub plays to the campy aspects, the dub plays to the emotional

- K <3<3<3<3<3<3<3 Dub.
- Durarara!! not my favorite (anymore; I used to cosplay Celty ^_^;) Sub and dub are both great.

Full Metal Panic is good, you'd probably like Samurai Champloo, Last Exile is good, Terror in Resonance is good.

Black Butler is considered a pretty boy show but it also has a lot of plot and action (and pretty girls, if you're into them). Start with Book of Circus, ignore the first couple of series, and read the manga if you like Book of Circus. Dub is good.


Since you are or was very into Durarara and it is one I mentioned in my OP, I am wondering what else is more similar to this?

It feels like playing Persona 4 and seeing Durarara are the most different things I've seen compared to DBZ and other all action ones. Attack on Titan is more in the middle I suppose


samuraicharles wrote:

Hey man, I got you.

Note: Some of these are from adult swim so you may have already seen them but I didn't see you list them so I thought I might as well mention them because they're absolutely amazing.

- Death Note (AMAZING strategy based anime. I show this anime to people who don't typically like anime, and they ALWAYS love it)(dub)
- Samurai Champloo (Slice of life, amazing soundtrack, fat hip-hop beats, amazing swordplay and thematics...I couldn't recommend this more)(dub)
- Fullmetal Alchemist (dub: watch the original first, then brotherhood, because if you watch brotherhood first you won't want to watch the original but it's still valuable to see Adult Swim's expansion from the manga)
- Eden of the East (dub)
- Code Geass (Death Note style strategy with politics)(sub or dub, both are good)
- Steins; Gate (I preferred the dub on this one, but both are good. Season 1 is mostly build-up so keep through until the season 1 finale)
- Tokyo Ghoul (I liked the sub more)
- Black Lagoon (for more of a Samurai Champloo vibe) (dub)
- Full Metal Panic (dub)

Bonus (pretty good but not PROFOUND)
- Angel Beats (dub or sub, either one works)
- Fairy Tail (I actually liked the dub over the sub, but I did watch the dub first so I may be bias. This show does magic AMAZINGLY but it peaks in season 1. I put it in the list because I noticed you really like DBZ, which makes me think you love long-running shows)
- Sword Art Online (either sub or dub works, whatever you prefer)

Now, this only scratches the surface. These are the anime's that are an ABSOLUTE must see in my solid opinion. I honestly wish I could wipe my memory and rewatch them.

I hope this helps


You got me there with longer running. I do like to get into something that last long and keeps a fandom running. DBZ and Yu Yu Hakusho did the best at that on my newbie list

Still I emphasize DBZ as my foundation. I'd still like to diversify the types I am going to watch so maybe there is an anime that is very slice of life based but similar to DBZ in those aspects or might capture a similar humor? I got a lot in this thread to look through. Some stuff are familiar names and others are recurring suggestions, some with a little description to go off of. I got a lot to choose from right now.
Sailor Candy Moderator
220112 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29
Offline
Posted 2/2/18
Forum clean up ^,^ removing posts from over a year ago!
You must be logged in to post.