First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply Being an otaku is an expensive lifestyle
8404 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M / New York City,New...
Offline
Posted 1/23/17 , edited 1/23/17
I'm starting to think about it and about average what me and my parents pay a year is like in the thousands on merch character statues, manga and anime services like $100 a year for premium + membership also games like I can't buy a game of Final fantasy or Tales of Xilia without getting the collectors edition. What do you guys think do you think being an otaku is expensive or just being a anime fan in general?
580 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Spain
Offline
Posted 1/23/17 , edited 1/25/17
Being an anime fan in general no but being an otaku I think yes
Posted 1/23/17 , edited 1/23/17
I wouldn't necessarily equate some of your video game purchases as "otaku living". I've been buying limited edition games for around two decades or so now (Playstation/Sega CD were the first ones to start doing the limited edition thing). I do buy limited edition games still. For example, I bought the Persona 5 20th Anniversary Edition from Japan.. cost me $250 for the game and another $45 something due to customs (around $325 total). It gets more expensive as you get more into it.

When I was younger (around your age), I imported a lot of anime VHS from Japan. I lived in Japan for eight months when I was 15 - spent every nickel and dime to my name on anime goodies. Came home nearly broke because I had to pay $250 just in additional luggage. Which is kind of funny - 17 years later and I think I may have one figure from that entire escapade.
11778 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 1/23/17 , edited 1/23/17

ninjitsuko wrote:

I wouldn't necessarily equate some of your video game purchases as "otaku living". I've been buying limited edition games for around two decades or so now (Playstation/Sega CD were the first ones to start doing the limited edition thing). I do buy limited edition games still. For example, I bought the Persona 5 20th Anniversary Edition from Japan.. cost me $250 for the game and another $45 something due to customs (around $325 total). It gets more expensive as you get more into it.

When I was younger (around your age), I imported a lot of anime VHS from Japan. I lived in Japan for eight months when I was 15 - spent every nickel and dime to my name on anime goodies. Came home nearly broke because I had to pay $250 just in additional luggage. Which is kind of funny - 17 years later and I think I may have one figure from that entire escapade.


But how could you do away with all that (presumably) awesome stuff?
13208 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Offline
Posted 1/23/17 , edited 1/23/17
a single BD volume can cost around $50, and a single cour has about 5-6 volumes. this means you'd have to spend aroudn $250-300 just for a single series, or $500-600 for a 2-cour series. this is just 1 series. a shelf filled with anime BDs is easily pricier than a fancy desktop, and let's not forget the expensive character figurines. being an otaku (that actively supports the industry) isn't just an expensive lifestyle.
it's an extremely expensive lifestyle.
Posted 1/23/17 , edited 1/23/17

octorockandroll wrote:

But how could you do away with all that (presumably) awesome stuff?


Let's see... from age 15 to now....
Moved to:

Kyoto, Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Maryland (hometown)
Boston, Massachusetts
Knoxville, Tennessee
Pasadena, California
Greensboro, North Carolina
Knoxville, Tennessee
London, England
Slough, Berkshire (England)
Saint Petersburg, Russia
Maryland
Washington D.C.
Maryland (again, both times were various places).
London, England
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Kansas City, Missouri
Raleigh, North Carolina

When you move around as much as I have - you learn that all of those awesome things are fleeting memories. I started storing them in different places (many of those I've obtained since I was 24 years old are either in storage units or are here with me).. but the ones I originally got back during my trip in Japan ... yeah, I think they were lost between the moves for college (Boston/Pasadena/Knoxville).
35118 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / Undisclosed
Offline
Posted 1/23/17
It can be expensive but it also depends on what you're buying. For instance, I will spend around $300 to $400 at AX. Mostly on complete series on Blu-Ray and a few random things as well. There are some titles that I'll wait for to go on sale so I can save some money but overall it still adds up.
8404 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M / New York City,New...
Offline
Posted 1/23/17

ninjitsuko wrote:

I wouldn't necessarily equate some of your video game purchases as "otaku living". I've been buying limited edition games for around two decades or so now (Playstation/Sega CD were the first ones to start doing the limited edition thing). I do buy limited edition games still. For example, I bought the Persona 5 20th Anniversary Edition from Japan.. cost me $250 for the game and another $45 something due to customs (around $325 total). It gets more expensive as you get more into it.

When I was younger (around your age), I imported a lot of anime VHS from Japan. I lived in Japan for eight months when I was 15 - spent every nickel and dime to my name on anime goodies. Came home nearly broke because I had to pay $250 just in additional luggage. Which is kind of funny - 17 years later and I think I may have one figure from that entire escapade.


I'm telling you these kinds of things will eat your wallet
26 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/23/17 , edited 1/23/17
I guess I'm lucky, I started really getting into anime at a time in my life when I don't want to have all that much STUFF around. If I find a series I absolutely love, then I'd consider getting a box set, or some physical version of it to keep on my shelf. Maybe a Nendoroid of my favorite character or something. But honestly, the reason I'm even here is the fact that I'd much rather pay Crunchyroll's monthly fee and have access to tons of anime without having to physically own any of it.
Posted 1/23/17

OpTicLaYeRs wrote:

I'm telling you these kinds of things will eat your wallet


Yeah, limited edition games can be pretty pricey. I normally end up getting Platinum on a game and sell it off nowadays (except for when it's an awesome collector's/limited edition set). Like the Persona 5 set isn't going anywhere any time soon....
Humms 
11995 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 1/23/17 , edited 1/23/17
Luckily there isn't anything worth buying right now

So basically its the people wasting their money on figures and such. Like don't get me wrong, if it's a nice statue figure with adjustable poses sure I don't mind paying over 200$, but here's the thing. Does most of the merchandise ship to my location?

When it comes to buying series, or manga, figures. I don't mind spending $500 in a couple months, but there isn't anything that is worth considering.

Now if someone can get to work on making fate zero complete series for under $500 and actually offering English sub/dub/ and original version compatible for my viewing.

Please, take my money. I know its only been 6 years, but like really.
11778 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 1/23/17

ninjitsuko wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:

But how could you do away with all that (presumably) awesome stuff?


Let's see... from age 15 to now....
Moved to:

Kyoto, Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Maryland (hometown)
Boston, Massachusetts
Knoxville, Tennessee
Pasadena, California
Greensboro, North Carolina
Knoxville, Tennessee
London, England
Slough, Berkshire (England)
Saint Petersburg, Russia
Maryland
Washington D.C.
Maryland (again, both times were various places).
London, England
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Kansas City, Missouri
Raleigh, North Carolina

When you move around as much as I have - you learn that all of those awesome things are fleeting memories. I started storing them in different places (many of those I've obtained since I was 24 years old are either in storage units or are here with me).. but the ones I originally got back during my trip in Japan ... yeah, I think they were lost between the moves for college (Boston/Pasadena/Knoxville).


Ah, yeah that may necessitate losing a few things. Although, if you ever need or choose to move, you may be able to find a quick new home for anything you may feel like getting rid of up north somewhere
11778 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 1/23/17
I absolutely agree. I know that anime is expensive to make and so prices need to be inflated, but that doesn't change the fact that it can really take a toll on a fan if they aren't careful. I mean, you know it's expensive when I spend less money getting a cosplay for something than getting a single piece of merch from that thing.
19306 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / San Francisco
Offline
Posted 1/23/17
If you're looking at anime and manga as a possible collectible investment, you're wasting your money. Most popular titles do not have that kind of longevity. I remember when everyone was wild about titles like "Gurren Lagann", "Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" and "K-On!". Where are these titles now? You hardly hear a fan even mention them now. The same with most video games. Of you're hoping to recoup your costs, there's a very high likelihood that that will not happen.

If you really want to buy anime and manga stuff that will retain its value, stick with production artwork and original artwork drawn by the plethora of animators and mangaka themselves. Stick with popular artists and titles like "Totoro", "Sailor Moon" and "Dragonball". These titles have not only retained their value, but artwork from these shows has increased in value over time. You can't touch a complete cel/matching background set from "Totoro" for under 15K. Check out Mandarake's past Big Web Auction prices if you don't believe me.

I've pretty much always collected production and original artwork. I was fortunate that, for the most part, I stuck with "Sailor Moon". I receive offers on my cels from other collectors, but sometimes from museums, regarding those. They're still in high demand because I stuck with buying only really high end stuff, and I'm sure I could resell them for more than what I paid. However, for the most part, I probably would even out if I sold my collection today, just as with most art collectors who go after paintings. Some artists become noticed and their artwork prices skyrocket, while others just fade into oblivion. For each sketch I own drawn by an artist whose prestige has only increased with time, there's a couple that I own whose luster has faded away. And that's ok because I've tried to consistently buy things that I enjoy, and not what I felt I could resell for $$$ later on.



6842 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
∞ / AI / Cyberspace
Offline
Posted 1/23/17
I have about $1200 in figures just sitting in my room that I've collected over the years. Makes me really wonder.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.