Post Reply Hwarang
9736 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
America
Offline
Posted 1/30/17
Is Hwarang really that good of a drama? It's very popular on MyDramaList and it's one of the more popular currently airing dramas. Most of my friends are watching it because of Taehyung from BTS. Personally, I'm considering it because of Choi Min-ho and Lee Kwang-soo.

I mean, there are high profile actors acting, like Go Ah Ra (from Reply) and Park Seo Joon (Kill Me Heal Me), but it's not enough to convince me (I don't watch dramas for the actors unless it's Park Bo Gum or Jung Eun-ji).

The synopsis doesn't sound extremely appealing to me.

"History is often made on the backs of truly passionate, talented young people. During the Kingdom of Silla, a group of elite youth known as Hwarang (literally "Flowering Knights") would wield great influence. These dashing, talented knights – Moo Myung, Sam Maek Jong, Soo Ho, Ban Ryu, Yeo Wool, Han Sung, and maiden Ah Ro – could outsmart and outfight anyone as they pushed for justice in Seorabeol, the capital city. One of them would become King Jin Heung of Silla and change the course of history." - MyDramaList

Looking at the genre as well, it's a Historical Drama. I personally really enjoy Historical Dramas, mainly Chinese. However, I'm worried since the genre doesn't include Political in it, and in the synopsis it mentions a King. Judging from the synopsis as well, it seems like they're all knights, so I'm worried about the political aspect. I personally enjoy historical political melodramas like Scarlet Heart (more of the Chinese version) and Empress Ki than Comedic dramas.

Also, another question, are the idol actors any good at actually- acting? I know they're all supporting cast but I can't stand to see cringeworthy acting. I've heard Choi Min-ho improved from To Beautiful You (which is a good thing), but I'm worried about Taehyung. I'm not a big fan of BTS, but I'm still going to cringe really bad (and feel embarrassed for him) if he does poorly. Is it going to be like Baekhyun in Scarlet Heart? Baekhyun didn't do bad, but he got probably one of the easiest and least complex characters.

33168 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
50 / M / Side 6
Offline
Posted 1/31/17
Hmm, from the synopsis and comments it doesn't look that great. I like historical dramas too but personally wouldn't give this one a try. Too many others that look more interesting. Anyway, maybe watch the first episode and then decide?
9736 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
America
Offline
Posted 1/31/17

sena3927 wrote:

Hmm, from the synopsis and comments it doesn't look that great. I like historical dramas too but personally wouldn't give this one a try. Too many others that look more interesting. Anyway, maybe watch the first episode and then decide?
Thank you! I tried out the first episode and it was average, but visually it's quite appealing. Not my type of show, but I decided to keep it on my Plan to Watch.

33168 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
50 / M / Side 6
Offline
Posted 1/31/17
It's not a historical drama, but check out 38 Task Force if you're looking for something to watch. I think it was kind of overlooked but it's really good. Couldn't stop watching it.
9736 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
America
Offline
Posted 2/1/17
That's on my plan to watch as well! Yeah, my cousin recommended it to me. Seo in Guk is the one acting in it, right? Anyways, I'll be sure to check it out!
Posted 2/12/17

GreenBubbleGum wrote:

Is Hwarang really that good of a drama? It's very popular on MyDramaList and it's one of the more popular currently airing dramas. Most of my friends are watching it because of Taehyung from BTS. Personally, I'm considering it because of Choi Min-ho and Lee Kwang-soo.

I mean, there are high profile actors acting, like Go Ah Ra (from Reply) and Park Seo Joon (Kill Me Heal Me), but it's not enough to convince me (I don't watch dramas for the actors unless it's Park Bo Gum or Jung Eun-ji).

The synopsis doesn't sound extremely appealing to me.

"History is often made on the backs of truly passionate, talented young people. During the Kingdom of Silla, a group of elite youth known as Hwarang (literally "Flowering Knights") would wield great influence. These dashing, talented knights – Moo Myung, Sam Maek Jong, Soo Ho, Ban Ryu, Yeo Wool, Han Sung, and maiden Ah Ro – could outsmart and outfight anyone as they pushed for justice in Seorabeol, the capital city. One of them would become King Jin Heung of Silla and change the course of history." - MyDramaList

Looking at the genre as well, it's a Historical Drama. I personally really enjoy Historical Dramas, mainly Chinese. However, I'm worried since the genre doesn't include Political in it, and in the synopsis it mentions a King. Judging from the synopsis as well, it seems like they're all knights, so I'm worried about the political aspect. I personally enjoy historical political melodramas like Scarlet Heart (more of the Chinese version) and Empress Ki than Comedic dramas.

Also, another question, are the idol actors any good at actually- acting? I know they're all supporting cast but I can't stand to see cringeworthy acting. I've heard Choi Min-ho improved from To Beautiful You (which is a good thing), but I'm worried about Taehyung. I'm not a big fan of BTS, but I'm still going to cringe really bad (and feel embarrassed for him) if he does poorly. Is it going to be like Baekhyun in Scarlet Heart? Baekhyun didn't do bad, but he got probably one of the easiest and least complex characters.




I've watched Hwarang up till episode 12. I would say I got hooked at it. Lee Kwang Soo's acting was really great. But I wish they showed more on the things happening between the Hwarangs rather than the love life of a few characters ;D I don't think this movie is really based on history much either, but it won't hurt to try!
9736 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
America
Offline
Posted 2/13/17 , edited 2/13/17

dxrtyx wrote:
I've watched Hwarang up till episode 12. I would say I got hooked at it. Lee Kwang Soo's acting was really great. But I wish they showed more on the things happening between the Hwarangs rather than the love life of a few characters ;D I don't think this movie is really based on history much either, but it won't hurt to try!


Thank you so much! I'll be sure to check it out. Right now I'm trying to finish Your Love from Another Star, so once I finish that, I'll probably get going to the newer dramas (like Legend of the Blue Sea, Hwarang, and maybe start watching some of the currently airing ones).

Posted 2/13/17

GreenBubbleGum wrote:


dxrtyx wrote:
I've watched Hwarang up till episode 12. I would say I got hooked at it. Lee Kwang Soo's acting was really great. But I wish they showed more on the things happening between the Hwarangs rather than the love life of a few characters ;D I don't think this movie is really based on history much either, but it won't hurt to try!


Thank you so much! I'll be sure to check it out. Right now I'm trying to finish Your Love from Another Star, so once I finish that, I'll probably get going to the newer dramas (like Legend of the Blue Sea, Hwarang, and maybe start watching some of the currently airing ones).



YAY ! Hwarang is great. a few curious part here and there really hehe. what's Your Love from Another Star about? did you manage to watch Goblin? ;D I think the newer dramas are better as I hated the ending of the old dramas hehe. (TLOTBS !!!!!!!!! Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo is lovely too. <3)
9736 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
America
Offline
Posted 2/13/17

dxrtyx wrote:

YAY ! Hwarang is great. a few curious part here and there really hehe. what's Your Love from Another Star about? did you manage to watch Goblin? ;D I think the newer dramas are better as I hated the ending of the old dramas hehe. (TLOTBS !!!!!!!!! Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo is lovely too. <3)
Your Love from Another Star (also called You Who Came from the Stars) is about a romance between this alien and a Hallyu Actress. It's actually extremely popular. Kim Soo Hyun (from Dream High) and Jun Ji Hyun (the main actress in Legend of the Blue Sea) acted in it.

Here's the synopsis from MyDramaList:
"Do Min Joon is an alien who landed on Earth 400 years ago during the Joseon Dynasty period. He possesses a near perfect appearance and enhanced physical abilities involving his vision, hearing and speed. Later, he discovers that he has three months left on Earth. And that is when he meets Cheon Song Yi, the biggest Hallyu star in Korea."

Also, didn't manage to watch Goblin either. I'm slow on dramas. The past month I finished W, Empress Ki (which was crazy, over 50 episodes), and Reply 1988. Goblin sounds amazing though. It's by the same directer as DOTS, and I've heard covers of the OST and it's amazing!! And Gong Yoo acted in it too right?

I haven't checked out Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo though. I heard a bit about it. Is it the one with Nam Joo Hyuk in it?



Posted 2/13/17

GreenBubbleGum wrote:


dxrtyx wrote:

YAY ! Hwarang is great. a few curious part here and there really hehe. what's Your Love from Another Star about? did you manage to watch Goblin? ;D I think the newer dramas are better as I hated the ending of the old dramas hehe. (TLOTBS !!!!!!!!! Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo is lovely too. <3)
Your Love from Another Star (also called You Who Came from the Stars) is about a romance between this alien and a Hallyu Actress. It's actually extremely popular. Kim Soo Hyun (from Dream High) and Jun Ji Hyun (the main actress in Legend of the Blue Sea) acted in it.

Here's the synopsis from MyDramaList:
"Do Min Joon is an alien who landed on Earth 400 years ago during the Joseon Dynasty period. He possesses a near perfect appearance and enhanced physical abilities involving his vision, hearing and speed. Later, he discovers that he has three months left on Earth. And that is when he meets Cheon Song Yi, the biggest Hallyu star in Korea."

Also, didn't manage to watch Goblin either. I'm slow on dramas. The past month I finished W, Empress Ki (which was crazy, over 50 episodes), and Reply 1988. Goblin sounds amazing though. It's by the same directer as DOTS, and I've heard covers of the OST and it's amazing!! And Gong Yoo acted in it too right?

I haven't checked out Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo though. I heard a bit about it. Is it the one with Nam Joo Hyuk in it?






OHH I have seen this characters before but never really got into it hehehe. Reminds me of Dr. Who or something xD

W is really draggy, but did you manage to finish it? it could have ended in like ep. 14 but they like to twist here and there -.- 50 episodes wow. YES. Heard Gong Yoo was supposed to play as the main character in DOTS hehehe. but you should watch the Goblin x Grim Reaper. they're too cute. OST BY PARK CHANYEOL !

yesh Nam Joo Hyuk my bf v_v

9736 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
America
Offline
Posted 2/14/17

dxrtyx wrote:

OHH I have seen this characters before but never really got into it hehehe. Reminds me of Dr. Who or something xD

W is really draggy, but did you manage to finish it? it could have ended in like ep. 14 but they like to twist here and there -.- 50 episodes wow. YES. Heard Gong Yoo was supposed to play as the main character in DOTS hehehe. but you should watch the Goblin x Grim Reaper. they're too cute. OST BY PARK CHANYEOL !

yesh Nam Joo Hyuk my bf v_v



Yeah, W is really draggy, but I managed to finish it. I agree with you on the twists.
And, oh my gosh, imagining Gong Yoo in Song Joong Ki's place was a ride. He missed out on a big opportunity with DOTS, but choosing to act in Goblin and Train to Busan was a good move on his part.

And, I'll be sure to watch it! And Chanyeol in the OST?? Did he write it? I know he's a composer? Did he sing in it

Also, NAM JOO HYUK IS SO HOT!! I watched him in Scarlet Heart Ryeo, and I loved him.


54821 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
101 / M
Offline
Posted 2/24/17
Does this show have lot of Martial arts actions? or its mostly love story? Just that I seen enough love story in every Asian drama! :p
You must be logged in to post.