First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply boyscouts will allow transgenders into the program
28378 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Online
Posted 2/1/17 , edited 2/1/17

ironh19 wrote:

transgenderism is a mental disease nothing more.


So was being gay.

the word your looking for is DISORDER a disease can be cured.



keeton52 wrote:

The majority of children who may call themselves transgender might not understand what that is.

I mean hell, I wanted to be a T-Rex when I was a kid. I certainly didn't grow up to be a goddamn dinosaur. It's the same thing here. Most kids don't understand yet. You have to wait until you know this is how they really feel or just a passing childhood "I want this" thing.


if they are 6 maybe but i understood gender and how sex worked by the age of 9
6578 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 2/1/17 , edited 2/1/17

Ryulightorb wrote:


ironh19 wrote:

transgenderism is a mental disease nothing more.


So was being gay.

the word your looking for is DISORDER a disease can be cured.



keeton52 wrote:

The majority of children who may call themselves transgender might not understand what that is.

I mean hell, I wanted to be a T-Rex when I was a kid. I certainly didn't grow up to be a goddamn dinosaur. It's the same thing here. Most kids don't understand yet. You have to wait until you know this is how they really feel or just a passing childhood "I want this" thing.


if they are 6 maybe but i understood gender and how sex worked by the age of 9


so a person with bipolar or schizophrenia doesn't have a disorder that they are just normal or something because by your definition anything incurable isn't a disorder. also homosexuality and transgender are quite different things one is just more sexually attracted to the same gender as themselves which well maybe unusual isn't extreme enough to be considered a true disorder. gender dysphoria on the other hand the person literally thinks they should've been born the opposite gender leading to mental/emotional/physical harm which does mean it falls into the category of being a mental disorder.

also i have no problems with adults going on hormonal treatment and surgery to try and feel more comfortable in their own body but kids can't make a decision like that. and despite what some people try and say things like hormonal blockers can and do cause serious long lasting or permanent harm infertility, heart problems,etc things that a child shouldn't be exposed to unless their life is truly in danger which gender dysphoria on its own isn't bad enough to require putting kids on them. not to mention some people would easily confuse just being a tomboy/girl as being gender dysphoric or worse the parents get their kids to act that way so they can say they have a special kid for some messed up reason.
112 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 2/1/17 , edited 2/1/17

Ryulightorb wrote:


keeton52 wrote:

The majority of children who may call themselves transgender might not understand what that is.

I mean hell, I wanted to be a T-Rex when I was a kid. I certainly didn't grow up to be a goddamn dinosaur. It's the same thing here. Most kids don't understand yet. You have to wait until you know this is how they really feel or just a passing childhood "I want this" thing.


if they are 6 maybe but i understood gender and how sex worked by the age of 9


Not an argument.
35283 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/1/17 , edited 2/1/17

dragonlord1234 wrote:
so a person with bipolar or schizophrenia doesn't have a disorder that they are just normal or something because by your definition anything incurable isn't a disorder. also homosexuality and transgender are quite different things one is just more sexually attracted to the same gender as themselves which well maybe unusual isn't extreme enough to be considered a true disorder. gender dysphoria on the other hand the person literally thinks they should've been born the opposite gender leading to mental/emotional/physical harm which does mean it falls into the category of being a mental disorder.


It's not a matter of "thinking" they should be the opposite gender. There are detectable differences in brain structure. Much like there are with homosexuality. Which show brain structures that reflect the gender they say they are instead of the one they biologically are. More importantly, however, is that transgender people respond to pheromones as their true gender not their biological one. This is critically important as our reaction to these pheromones cannot be changed by external stimuli. So it cannot be a learned behaviour due the person's childhood environment. Its nature, not nurture.

This effect becomes pronounced at the onset of puberty. So a child panicking at the onset of puberty because they say they aren't the gender they were born into is not just going through a phase. There is a functional, biological basis for their panic. This effect continues to strengthen through out puberty in the same way it would for the gender they say they are. Their brain wires up for Girl even though the body is Boy and visa versa.



dragonlord1234 wrote:
unless their life is truly in danger which gender dysphoria on its own isn't bad enough to require putting kids on them. not to mention some people would easily confuse just being a tomboy/girl as being gender dysphoric or worse the parents get their kids to act that way so they can say they have a special kid for some messed up reason.


Well, first of all, two words: Suicide risk.

Second of all, its not the parents who assess and diagnose gender dysphoria.




galaxydesu wrote:
Not an argument.


In fairness, neither was the T-rex.
1526 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / The Cosmos
Offline
Posted 2/1/17 , edited 2/1/17

runec wrote:

You know what would be awesome?

If we could discuss a transgender issue without having to explain what transgender is for the 15th time.

>.>


if it was easy enough to understand it wouldn't need 15 explanations
28378 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Online
Posted 2/1/17 , edited 2/1/17

galaxydesu wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:


keeton52 wrote:

The majority of children who may call themselves transgender might not understand what that is.

I mean hell, I wanted to be a T-Rex when I was a kid. I certainly didn't grow up to be a goddamn dinosaur. It's the same thing here. Most kids don't understand yet. You have to wait until you know this is how they really feel or just a passing childhood "I want this" thing.


if they are 6 maybe but i understood gender and how sex worked by the age of 9


Not an argument.


It is if raised properly they should know by yhen
28378 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Online
Posted 2/1/17 , edited 2/1/17

dragonlord1234 wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:


ironh19 wrote:

transgenderism is a mental disease nothing more.


So was being gay.

the word your looking for is DISORDER a disease can be cured.



keeton52 wrote:

The majority of children who may call themselves transgender might not understand what that is.

I mean hell, I wanted to be a T-Rex when I was a kid. I certainly didn't grow up to be a goddamn dinosaur. It's the same thing here. Most kids don't understand yet. You have to wait until you know this is how they really feel or just a passing childhood "I want this" thing.


if they are 6 maybe but i understood gender and how sex worked by the age of 9


so a person with bipolar or schizophrenia doesn't have a disorder that they are just normal or something because by your definition anything incurable isn't a disorder. also homosexuality and transgender are quite different things one is just more sexually attracted to the same gender as themselves which well maybe unusual isn't extreme enough to be considered a true disorder. gender dysphoria on the other hand the person literally thinks they should've been born the opposite gender leading to mental/emotional/physical harm which does mean it falls into the category of being a mental disorder.

also i have no problems with adults going on hormonal treatment and surgery to try and feel more comfortable in their own body but kids can't make a decision like that. and despite what some people try and say things like hormonal blockers can and do cause serious long lasting or permanent harm infertility, heart problems,etc things that a child shouldn't be exposed to unless their life is truly in danger which gender dysphoria on its own isn't bad enough to require putting kids on them. not to mention some people would easily confuse just being a tomboy/girl as being gender dysphoric or worse the parents get their kids to act that way so they can say they have a special kid for some messed up reason.


you seem to miss my point.

Bipolar and Shizo people have a disorder and it isn't cureable either.
Homosexuality used to be seen as a disorder its the same as transgender in the sense that both are differences in the human brain that can't be "cured"

No one said that they need to transition as a kid.
35283 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/1/17 , edited 2/1/17

IShouldBeStudying wrote:
if it was easy enough to understand it wouldn't need 15 explanations


I envy your untainted forum innocence.
Sogno- 
47831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / SC
Offline
Posted 2/1/17 , edited 2/1/17

keeton52 wrote:

The majority of children who may call themselves transgender might not understand what that is.

I mean hell, I wanted to be a T-Rex when I was a kid. I certainly didn't grow up to be a goddamn dinosaur. It's the same thing here. Most kids don't understand yet. You have to wait until you know this is how they really feel or just a passing childhood "I want this" thing.


idk man... i think i see some plates growing on your back...
36189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / F / Seireitei, Soul S...
Offline
Posted 2/1/17

TheOriginalStraynge wrote:

I'm not sure this is the appropriate place for this conversation. My best guess would be that the home is the best place for this one but since we're all here let me just state for the record that I don't care. I don't mean that in a negative way either. I just like to let people live their own lives, to learn their own lessons and allow people the chance to be true to themselves. As long as it's not hurting anyone then nobody should care and the mental scars because you can't deal with these issues is not real pain. You do what's right for you and allow others to have that same freedom. You don't have to like it or agree with it but guess what? Its not your life. Deal with your own issues and let others deal with theirs. I just get really sick of people thinking they are blessed with a unique one of a kind gift from God and that they and they alone know what is or isn't right for others. You're NOT that special, nobody is. Not you, not the President, nobody and this world would be a much better place if people would realize that. Eventually time will show us all how unimportant we really are. A hundred years from now we will all be dust just like all of the other standard people and animals that came and went before us.

Obviously this rant does NOT apply to all of you accepting people out there.


^This for this forum thread. I totally agree with what he's saying here and how issues like this should be treated.
19728 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 2/1/17

TheOriginalStraynge wrote:

I'm not sure this is the appropriate place for this conversation. My best guess would be that the home is the best place for this one but since we're all here let me just state for the record that I don't care. I don't mean that in a negative way either. I just like to let people live their own lives, to learn their own lessons and allow people the chance to be true to themselves. As long as it's not hurting anyone then nobody should care and the mental scars because you can't deal with these issues is not real pain. You do what's right for you and allow others to have that same freedom. You don't have to like it or agree with it but guess what? Its not your life. Deal with your own issues and let others deal with theirs. I just get really sick of people thinking they are blessed with a unique one of a kind gift from God and that they and they alone know what is or isn't right for others. You're NOT that special, nobody is. Not you, not the President, nobody and this world would be a much better place if people would realize that. Eventually time will show us all how unimportant we really are. A hundred years from now we will all be dust just like all of the other standard people and animals that came and went before us.

Obviously this rant does NOT apply to all of you accepting people out there.


I love how some people go out of their way to reignite my faith in humanity. The above shows not all of you are prejudiced assholes. And for that I thank you above.
86696 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M / WA
Offline
Posted 2/2/17
As if acceptance in and of itself were a virtue; if only people were more accepting of people not holding "trans"values.

The Boy Scout have finally buckled under public pressure and cast aside its traditional values, that is their right, very sad. People will continue to leave this once virtuous organization.

Don't know about pheromones, but the brain does rewire itself based on activities/behaviors - this is not the cause of transgenderism; boys are born boys and girls are born girls, sex/ gender does not and cannot be changed. Children do experience and overcome "confusion".
Posted 2/2/17

dougeprofile wrote:
As if acceptance in and of itself were a virtue; if only people were more accepting of people not holding "trans"values.


I don't think the argument of "your intolerance is intolerant" really applies in this situation.
People are more than free to believe or have their own views; but, when applied in a situation where there's an organization is involved - they surely discuss this internally to determine whether or not it's a valid position to hold on part of the overall organization.

Even in the article linked in the OP, it outlines that they've had internal discussions about this and inevitably decided to accept transgendered children into its program. It also states that they had a heated internal conversation back in 2013 when they decided to accept homosexual boys into its organization. So... while it's discussed and it's probably well-heated between those who agree/disagree with the ideas proposed in the meeting, the end result is one that has been decided among them (for better or worse).

The "intolerance of intolerance" line of logic would work on some of these posts, I guess. Though, at the same time, it's circular logic. You can't necessarily expect either side to compromise their own views or resist in stating their opinion when that's what forums are sort of designed for.
86696 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M / WA
Offline
Posted 2/2/17
More along the lines of, if you preach acceptance and tolerance... practice what you preach. That's pretty straightforward, not circular.
qwueri 
19992 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Online
Posted 2/2/17

dougeprofile wrote:

More along the lines of, if you preach acceptance and tolerance... practice what you preach. That's pretty straightforward, not circular.


There's a pretty stark line between accepting/tolerating who someone is born and accepting/tolerating how someone chooses to treat others.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.