First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Car Discussion Thread
3171 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/1/17 , edited 2/1/17
Do we have anyone here who knows a lot about cars ?

If there's a problem with your car, what would you do?

Fix it yourself or pay someone to do it ? also, any horror stories about car repairs (mechanics/body shops/dealers, etc..)

i took our Camry in for a warranty service at the local dealer, they found these problems and gave me an estimate

i asked them about the CV boots replacement since the body shops will also replace the axles--- the dealer stated that they will just replace the CV boots.

DIY-- probably cost $40-$60 for parts?

you can use split boots for less labor when replacing cv boots now a day
https://www.toyota.com.au/owners/parts/brakes-suspension-steering/split-boot-kits

I guess this is expected for dealer pricing..





*updated*

no one here has to do any car repair at all? don't tell me everyone here driving new cars only ?

47839 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / SC
Offline
Posted 2/1/17
pay someone

im car illiterate

also my car is older than lot of ya folk here
3171 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/1/17

Sogno- wrote:

pay someone

im car illiterate

also my car is older than lot of ya folk here


older than my car ?

i have a 1995 honda
47839 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / SC
Offline
Posted 2/1/17

dulun18 wrote:


Sogno- wrote:

pay someone

im car illiterate

also my car is older than lot of ya folk here


older than my car ?

i have a 1995 honda


ya got me beat by one year. i got a 96 toyota camry
3171 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/1/17


I'm thinking of just selling it.. it's a pain to keep fixing a car this old
47839 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / SC
Offline
Posted 2/1/17
well if ya got the money then sell it and get a new one im too broke lololol

she runs good though, haven't had too much trouble

lol nice conversation about cars, even though im illiterate
3171 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/1/17 , edited 2/2/17

Sogno- wrote:

well if ya got the money then sell it and get a new one im too broke lololol

she runs good though, haven't had too much trouble

lol nice conversation about cars, even though im illiterate


i'm curious..

most people who have 15+ yr old cars usually know how to fix them.. if not they often stick to 2-4 year old cars..

maybe you are hiding your skills as a mechanic ??

42704 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 2/1/17 , edited 2/1/17
I do all the work on my cars. I am an ASE certified technician.
47839 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / SC
Offline
Posted 2/1/17

dulun18 wrote:


Sogno- wrote:

well if ya got the money then sell it and get a new one im too broke lololol

she runs good though, haven't had too much trouble

lol nice conversation about cars, even though im illiterate


i'm curious..

most people who have 15+ yr old cars usually know how to fix them.. if not they often stick to 2-4 year old cars..

maybe you are hiding your skills as mechanic ??



nah im just poor lolol
7652 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 2/1/17

Sogno- wrote:


dulun18 wrote:


Sogno- wrote:

pay someone

im car illiterate

also my car is older than lot of ya folk here


older than my car ?

i have a 1995 honda


ya got me beat by one year. i got a 96 toyota camry


Not older than me. Yet I can actually work on that car fine with a repair book on what to do.
51656 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 2/1/17 , edited 2/1/17
I'm a Chrysler mechanic with 13 years on the job at a dealership. The prices sound about right, however I would recommend not worrying about the oil pan leak unless it is leaving small puddles of oil under you car, just check your oil level every time you gas up and add as needed. As for the CV axles, don't bother replacing the boots, from the looks of them they have slung all the grease out and have been running dry for awhile, this will cause damage to the axles that might not show up for a few months, I would advise just replacing them now. You don't need the factory axles, I would recommend getting them from a NAPA store, remanufactured axles from them should run between $75-$100 each, and the labor to have them installed shouldn't be too bad. Oh and your picture only shows one CV axle, is the other ok? If so then just have the one replaced.

That engine looks familiar, my own car is a 2002 Camry with a V-6, looks pretty similar so I am guessing the year is near the same, heh.
15049 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/2/17
When I had cars I had to fix, I tended to try to fix them myself, or get my father to fix it, or a combination. Now that I drive a new car, I'd probably have to take it to a mechanic for anything I need done. They really want to seal these cars up tight.
Posted 2/2/17
I bought a car from a mechanic's daughter, I think he hated her.
3171 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/2/17

MadBovine wrote:

I'm a Chrysler mechanic with 13 years on the job at a dealership. The prices sound about right, however I would recommend not worrying about the oil pan leak unless it is leaving small puddles of oil under you car, just check your oil level every time you gas up and add as needed. As for the CV axles, don't bother replacing the boots, from the looks of them they have slung all the grease out and have been running dry for awhile, this will cause damage to the axles that might not show up for a few months, I would advise just replacing them now. You don't need the factory axles, I would recommend getting them from a NAPA store, remanufactured axles from them should run between $75-$100 each, and the labor to have them installed shouldn't be too bad. Oh and your picture only shows one CV axle, is the other ok? If so then just have the one replaced.

That engine looks familiar, my own car is a 2002 Camry with a V-6, looks pretty similar so I am guessing the year is near the same, heh.


The oil pan looks fine to me as well. I heard about "seal the oil pan" from the dealer. Some of the owners posted about it on Youtube

you are correct ! It is a 2009 Camry V6 :)

i saw thinking of just doing it myself and use quick/split cv boots instead of giving the dealer $400+ for the job. However, I can't find a quick/split cv boot for this particular model for some reason :/ i don't think i have the tools to remove the axle at home..

i'm thinking of trading in the car within the next 9-10 months..


36077 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / San Diego, CA
Offline
Posted 2/2/17 , edited 2/3/17
I do all my own work cause I'm a man dammit!! Honestly it's just because it's way cheaper and I find it fun taking apart or fixing my own cars. It's more of a hobby. Last year some guy drove me off the freeway and I ended up crashing my 350z into the gourd rail and spinning out. Spent the rest of that year rebuilding my baby with the help of my dad and brothers. Took a while year to get her up and running but she's back baby. It would have taken less but I decided to go to Japan for a while lol. I've got some pics in here somewhere.....anyways I had to replace the front right suspension and rear left (thank God for individual suspension) replaced everything in front like radiator and ac cooling system. The list goes on....

I'm at work right now but I'll post pics later.

Edit:

Ok here's my car right after some one cut me off


What it looked like once I got it home and started to slowly rebuild my baby

With some TLC and elbow grease I resurrected my baby and it looks better than before!! Now i can sink more money into modding it




Reppin that Hatsune Miku bruhs!
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.