First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Car Discussion Thread
20422 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F
Offline
Posted 2/2/17
This would be a thread for my dad. He's a ASE-certified mechanic with 40+ years under his belt.

As for me personally, I don't drive. Never will, unless I somehow get my hands on a driver-less car.
36085 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / San Diego, CA
Offline
Posted 2/2/17 , edited 2/2/17

Selenae wrote:

This would be a thread for my dad. He's a ASE-certified mechanic with 40+ years under his belt.

As for me personally, I don't drive. Never will, unless I somehow get my hands on a driver-less car.


This blows my mind lol. Driving is fun why would you not ever want to drive? Unless you live in a big city like NY or Tokyo where walking and public transportation can get you anywhere. I'm gonna hate the driverless future I can already see it, I'll be an old man complaining about driverless cars haha. Then again I see cars as an not just a tool but an extension of myself and another way of expressing myself so i guess i just don't get people who don't even maintain their own cars or take care of them.
4309 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 2/2/17
As a twenty something I bought my first car last year in April. I bought it with something akin to 71k miles on it, it now has 74k. Its an 08 Tiburon GS, it was either going to be an <09 RX-8 or a Tiburon. Would've liked an Eclipse probably but I couldn't see one that I liked. And considering the budget the RX-8 was really pushing it (like seriously it was at the cap)

The dream is to have an RX-7 (unless Mazda releases a good rotary in the future) I generally don't really care for classics, but something about the 7 just seems to be so.... *gurgles.* A Firebird would be cool too but Pontiac doesn't exist anymore and therefore neither does the Firebird.

Though the dream also includes a GT-R and Lancer Evo/WRX some day so I'm gonna have a hard time when I find myself with that kind of cash. But in general I want to keep to modern muscle/imports. Because F*** the passengers and classic muscle. I'm buying a car for me and not those that i'm driving around.

But I mean as you can probably tell that in the 8 months i've had my car, I've only really changed the oil and filter and rotated the mismatched tires. Had an electrical problem that made the headlights non-functioning so you can imagine how fun driving home THAT NIGHT was. I drive like 4 miles a day so.... my abyssmal gas mileage is still like once a month. So that's nice. What I WAS driving only got 20 mpg so I figured as long as the MPG was >= 20 it was a wash and therefore didn't matter.
3527 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/3/17


nice car!.. what was the total bill for all the repairs you did to the car ?




Selenae wrote:

This would be a thread for my dad. He's a ASE-certified mechanic with 40+ years under his belt.

As for me personally, I don't drive. Never will, unless I somehow get my hands on a driver-less car.



self driving cars are already here

the only question is .

are you willing to pay the premium price to own and beta test them ?

Telsa cars has the self driving feature-- i heard it saved lives but also killed some people
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-01/tesla-is-testing-self-driving-cars-on-california-roads
36085 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / San Diego, CA
Offline
Posted 2/3/17 , edited 2/3/17

DarthRutsula wrote:

As a twenty something I bought my first car last year in April. I bought it with something akin to 71k miles on it, it now has 74k. Its an 08 Tiburon GS, it was either going to be an <09 RX-8 or a Tiburon. Would've liked an Eclipse probably but I couldn't see one that I liked. And considering the budget the RX-8 was really pushing it (like seriously it was at the cap)

The dream is to have an RX-7 (unless Mazda releases a good rotary in the future) I generally don't really care for classics, but something about the 7 just seems to be so.... *gurgles.* A Firebird would be cool too but Pontiac doesn't exist anymore and therefore neither does the Firebird.

Though the dream also includes a GT-R and Lancer Evo/WRX some day so I'm gonna have a hard time when I find myself with that kind of cash. But in general I want to keep to modern muscle/imports. Because F*** the passengers and classic muscle. I'm buying a car for me and not those that i'm driving around.

But I mean as you can probably tell that in the 8 months i've had my car, I've only really changed the oil and filter and rotated the mismatched tires. Had an electrical problem that made the headlights non-functioning so you can imagine how fun driving home THAT NIGHT was. I drive like 4 miles a day so.... my abyssmal gas mileage is still like once a month. So that's nice. What I WAS driving only got 20 mpg so I figured as long as the MPG was >= 20 it was a wash and therefore didn't matter.


As much as I hate Hyundai you picked the safer choice. Mazda uses rotary engines in the RX line and their not bad engines it's just people don't know how to take care of them so a lot of the RX-8s have rebuilt or new engines at about 70k miles or their owners tend to flood the engines with gasoline lol. For me it was a toss between an s2k, 350z, or RX-8. Ended up with a 350z because I just can't do convertibles as much as I like the s2k and a used RX-8 is kind of a gamble.

Edit: Dulun18 I spent roughly $4,000 on parts and paint was only $1500 because my buddy hooked me up. The air bags where the most expensive things to replace. Spent about $1200 on them alone.
34 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/3/17
The axel is about 60+ at autozone or a auto parts store, also buy a new axel seal when replacing he axel its like $10. The work is about an hour or 2 if your new to it. The oil pan gasket from the looks of it will also be an easy replacement, gasket is abou $20++ and if it looks as simple as the picture shows. Remove the bolts, swap gasket and reinstall. It would be far cheaper to do this yourself, im no mechanic but i have always worked and fixed my own cars since my 1987 Honda Accord. If you fix your own car, you will appreciate it more and put more care into driving it. It would feel less like a strangers car that is only there to be used and abused and more like somthing you care for because YOU put the TIME into it.

I highly recommend to anyone & everyone, even if its doing an oil change(3k) and spark plugs(10k) every 10k. You will appreciate your car far more after doing stuff like this, and the car will last 100% longer.
Posted 2/3/17
I use the Toyota repair for just oil and tire service anything else i take to my mechanic his more
affordable. I also don't trust PepBoys on oil change they due a lousy job.
3527 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/3/17

j226109 wrote:

Edit: Dulun18 I spent roughly $4,000 on parts and paint was only $1500 because my buddy hooked me up. The air bags where the most expensive things to replace. Spent about $1200 on them alone.


$1200 for both front airbags ? New cars now a day also have side airbags! 6-8 of them?




Solustein wrote:

The axel is about 60+ at autozone or a auto parts store, also buy a new axel seal when replacing he axel its like $10. The work is about an hour or 2 if your new to it. The oil pan gasket from the looks of it will also be an easy replacement, gasket is abou $20++ and if it looks as simple as the picture shows. Remove the bolts, swap gasket and reinstall. It would be far cheaper to do this yourself, im no mechanic but i have always worked and fixed my own cars since my 1987 Honda Accord. If you fix your own car, you will appreciate it more and put more care into driving it. It would feel less like a strangers car that is only there to be used and abused and more like somthing you care for because YOU put the TIME into it.

I highly recommend to anyone & everyone, even if its doing an oil change(3k) and spark plugs(10k) every 10k. You will appreciate your car far more after doing stuff like this, and the car will last 100% longer.


i was looking around for split/quick cv boots for the job (for less labor) but i can't find one for my 2009 camry v6

How To Replace CV Boots - Easy to install on the car assembly in 15 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLrGNU_t83Y

i saw it on Toyota website for Australia.. i'll see if the dealer will have them in stock
https://www.toyota.com.au/owners/parts/brakes-suspension-steering/split-boot-kits
9164 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 2/4/17

j226109 wrote:


Selenae wrote:

This would be a thread for my dad. He's a ASE-certified mechanic with 40+ years under his belt.

As for me personally, I don't drive. Never will, unless I somehow get my hands on a driver-less car.


This blows my mind lol. Driving is fun why would you not ever want to drive? Unless you live in a big city like NY or Tokyo where walking and public transportation can get you anywhere. I'm gonna hate the driverless future I can already see it, I'll be an old man complaining about driverless cars haha. Then again I see cars as an not just a tool but an extension of myself and another way of expressing myself so i guess i just don't get people who don't even maintain their own cars or take care of them.


Driving in the city (NY) is frustrating but going around certain parts of Brooklyn is even worse. Not just because the road is full of dangerous and impatient toddlers behind the wheel, but because we have an assload of pedestrians who think their bodies can withstand a head-on collision with a speeding vehicle. Driving (and parking) here is so bad that I've seen numerous accidents happen in front of me over the past few years. Driving into a traffic light, jumping the sidewalk and plowing into pedestrians, smashing the car into an elevated subway pillar, backing into multiple vehicles during traffic, dumbasses backing into an entrance ramp in an expressway (and causing an accident), etc. Not to mention numerous instances of stupid people from teenagers to full-grown adults running across a busy street and placing themselves (and drivers) at risk. I bought a car for my fiance when she first moved to NY. After she bought her own, I sold off the other one and I still prefer to take the subway most of the time.
8291 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / California
Offline
Posted 2/4/17
The problem with going to a dealer or mechanic for repairs, is that they make money in two ways:

1. They mark-up the parts required (typically by at least 50%, if not 100%)
2. They charge for labor

DIY is not for everyone, and if you want to get the work guaranteed, then you should still go to the dealer/mechanic. You can try to bargain, by saying that you'll purchase the parts yourself (so you avoid paying the mark-up). Chances are, a mechanic will agree because he won't want to lose the money he'll still make off labor.
7677 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Pensacola
Offline
Posted 2/4/17


just one of my project cars.
3095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M
Offline
Posted 2/4/17
I usually do my own repairs. I have two cars: 1994 Toyota Celica GT and a 1992 Toyota Pickup 4x4. Celica is about 252k and the pickup is about 205k and they are both running pretty well.
19667 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 2/4/17
I'm sure I could do simple repairs for my car like general maintenance, but I prefer to just take it in to the dealership or the likes. A car is something I simply want to work without much effort on my part beyond keeping it well serviced.
20422 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F
Offline
Posted 2/4/17

j226109 wrote:

This blows my mind lol. Driving is fun why would you not ever want to drive? Unless you live in a big city like NY or Tokyo where walking and public transportation can get you anywhere. I'm gonna hate the driverless future I can already see it, I'll be an old man complaining about driverless cars haha. Then again I see cars as an not just a tool but an extension of myself and another way of expressing myself so i guess i just don't get people who don't even maintain their own cars or take care of them.


I don't drive because I both physically and mentally can't. I was born with cerebral palsy (mild, but enough to mess up my right wrist and ankle which means I can't walk for very long) and I also have severe vehophobia stemming from a bus accident at 4 years old which took out my right eye. Granted, I have tried to learn in the past, but I just can't do it. The attempts literally gave me gray hair.
4322 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/4/17

Selenae wrote:

I don't drive because I both physically and mentally can't. I was born with cerebral palsy (mild, but enough to mess up my right wrist and ankle which means I can't walk for very long) and I also have severe vehophobia stemming from a bus accident at 4 years old which took out my right eye. Granted, I have tried to learn in the past, but I just can't do it. The attempts literally gave me gray hair.


as long someone else is driving you will be ok staying in the car ?

there are plenty service available lyft, uber, etc.. but it's kind of a hassle and expensive though..

it's hard not having a car or being able to drive yourself around here..
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.