First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Japan to use recycled material for Olympic medals
Posted 2/2/17 , edited 2/2/17

TOKYO (Reuters) — The medals for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics will be forged from recycled metal from old mobile phones and appliances donated by the general public to give them a sense of direct involvement in the Games, organizers said on Wednesday.

The move is also part of an effort to promote sustainability and save costs after the budget for the event ballooned to more than ¥3 trillion ($26.5 billion) at one point, though organizers reduced that sum to $16.8 billion late last year.

http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0003497853


I think this is pretty cool.
9736 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / London, England
Offline
Posted 2/2/17 , edited 2/2/17
I'm really glad they're taking a step in the right direction with the Olympic Games. The Medals will probably look the same as any other Olympic medals
One Punch Mod
117921 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 2/2/17 , edited 2/2/17
Great idea!
3527 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/2/17 , edited 2/2/17
i don't know. Some might not be as motivated anymore.. since their medal will be literally "scrap" medal
Posted 2/2/17 , edited 2/2/17
Aye. I think that's a pretty cool idea as well!
20422 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F
Offline
Posted 2/2/17 , edited 2/2/17

dulun18 wrote:

i don't know. Some might not be as motivated anymore.. since their medal will be literally "scrap" medal


I think so, too. I know I wouldn't want a medal made from scrap silver.

19836 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 2/2/17 , edited 2/2/17
So we have athletes who have dedicated their entire lives to the perfection of their chosen sport . Whose literal blood, sweat, and tears has elevated them above the common man or woman. And we can't even be bother to pony up for proper medals. Geez Japan if you can't afford to host the games proper why'd you bother bidding for them?
3527 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/2/17 , edited 2/2/17

Selenae wrote:


dulun18 wrote:

i don't know. Some might not be as motivated anymore.. since their medal will be literally "scrap" medal


I think so, too. I know I wouldn't want a medal made from scrap silver.



I thought those Olympic medals are 100% of whatever it is called until recently.

They mixed other metals in so it's not 100% gold/silver/bronze. etc.. even the gold medal is only worth a few hundreds dollar.
Ejanss 
16967 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/2/17 , edited 2/2/17

HuastecoOtaku wrote:


TOKYO (Reuters) — The medals for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics will be forged from recycled metal from old mobile phones and appliances donated by the general public to give them a sense of direct involvement in the Games, organizers said on Wednesday.

The move is also part of an effort to promote sustainability and save costs after the budget for the event ballooned to more than ¥3 trillion ($26.5 billion) at one point, though organizers reduced that sum to $16.8 billion late last year.

http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0003497853


I think this is pretty cool.


So, those of you with gold cellphones...

(Wonder if they'll advertise "We'll buy your old gold!" like we do on late-night cable.)
39169 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 2/2/17
I hope they don't consider using recycled cesium 137...
1792 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Spokane, Washingt...
Offline
Posted 2/2/17
some say efficient, some say genus, others say cheap.

Not that the whales are complaining. pretty sure they are getting tired of swimming in garbage phones and electronics.
14527 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 2/2/17
I wouldn't really care that much since I'd be in it for the title and glory, not how expensive the medal is. I've participated in tournaments in the past but I don't do it for the prize.
13780 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Offline
Posted 2/2/17 , edited 2/2/17

Ranwolf wrote:

So we have athletes who have dedicated their entire lives to the perfection of their chosen sport . Whose literal blood, sweat, and tears has elevated them above the common man or woman. And we can't even be bother to pony up for proper medals. Geez Japan if you can't afford to host the games proper why'd you bother bidding for them?


rather than being cheap, reusing materials could be an attempt for Japan to be seen in the world as a country that cares about climate change. recycling the metals "conserves energy, reduces air and water pollution, reduces greenhouse gases, and conserves natural resources." ( recycling faq )

edit: on the other hand, this decision was likely made without consulting the athletes. if they were hoping for a new shiny medal,
they may be a little disappointed.
Posted 2/2/17

RedExodus wrote:

I wouldn't really care that much since I'd be in it for the title and glory, not how expensive the medal is.


27 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/2/17
Does it really matter if the gold is newly forged or not? It's still just as shiny as it would've been otherwise... *shrugs*
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.