First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Female wins Fields Prize in mathematics for first time in history
10944 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 2/2/17 , edited 2/2/17
http://m.motherjones.com/mixed-media/2014/08/maryam-mirzakhani-first-woman-fields-medal-mathematics

This is a bright day fpr both mathematicians and women around the world and hopefully an accurate sign of what's to come.
35325 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/2/17 , edited 2/2/17

octorockandroll wrote:

http://m.motherjones.com/mixed-media/2014/08/maryam-mirzakhani-first-woman-fields-medal-mathematics

This is a bright day fpr both mathematicians and women around the world and hopefully an accurate sign of what's to come.


...is it terrible of me that my first thought was "I hope she doesn't have to leave the country to accept it because she's probably not getting back in." >.>

10944 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 2/2/17 , edited 2/2/17

runec wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:

http://m.motherjones.com/mixed-media/2014/08/maryam-mirzakhani-first-woman-fields-medal-mathematics

This is a bright day fpr both mathematicians and women around the world and hopefully an accurate sign of what's to come.


...is it terrible of me that my first thought was "I hope she doesn't have to leave the country to accept it because she's probably not getting back in." >.>



Well with Trump's recent gag order more and more scientists have come to Canada or the UK so I doubt it will be any harder for a mathematician at least
Posted 2/2/17 , edited 2/2/17

runec wrote:

...is it terrible of me that my first thought was "I hope she doesn't have to leave the country to accept it because she's probably not getting back in." >.>



She won and accepted the award three years ago, so, yeah, it's kind of terrible for you to think that. The math just doesn't add up.
7239 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / California
Offline
Posted 2/2/17 , edited 2/2/17
This news was from 3 years ago. She is a professor of mathematics at my school, though I never took her class, I didn't need to, I'm studying engineering in grad school, not math. But I did see her in campus a few times. Her research in Teichmüller Theory & Ergodic Theory though mostly theoretical also has implications for physics and quantum field theory.
22296 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Oppai Hell
Online
Posted 2/2/17 , edited 2/2/17

aeb0717 wrote:


runec wrote:

...is it terrible of me that my first thought was "I hope she doesn't have to leave the country to accept it because she's probably not getting back in." >.>



She won and accepted the award three years ago, so, yeah, it's kind of terrible for you to think that. The math just doesn't add up.


I love you. Marry me.
2283 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/2/17 , edited 2/2/17

Haru_no_hana wrote:

This news was from 3 years ago. She is a professor of mathematics at my school, though I never took her class, I didn't need to, I'm studying engineering in grad school, not math. But I did see her in campus a few times. Her research in Teichmüller Theory & Ergodic Theory though mostly theoretical also has implications for physics and quantum field theory.



interesting....so they are posting news from years ago too

hard to believe that we would be running out of current news
35325 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/2/17 , edited 2/2/17

aeb0717 wrote:
She won and accepted the award three years ago, so, yeah, it's kind of terrible for you to think that. The math just doesn't add up.


...<slow clap>
Posted 2/2/17 , edited 2/2/17

runec wrote:



...<slow clap>


Yes. I am a terrible person.


I regret nothing.
Posted 2/2/17 , edited 2/2/17

PeripheralVisionary wrote:



I love you. Marry me.

Ejanss 
16479 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 2/2/17 , edited 2/2/17
Nobel Prizes are hard!
35325 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/2/17

aeb0717 wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:



I love you. Marry me.




Ejanss wrote:
Nobel Prizes are hard!


They aren't the only thing.
12854 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Offline
Posted 2/2/17 , edited 2/2/17

Ejanss wrote:Nobel Prizes are hard!

Field Medals in Mathematics are only awarded every 4 years and only for people 40 years or less[ citation granted ] . it's far more competitive, and only the smartest, genius mathematicians with a breakthrough discovery in mathematics can even hope of being awarded the honor. comparing it to the yearly Nobel Prize award is almost like an insult tbh.

edited to make sure it's clear i'm talking about Field Medal in Mathematics. i think there's also one for Physics but not sure
nevermind, it's a Mathematician's exclusive.
10944 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 2/2/17

namealreadytaken wrote:


Ejanss wrote:Nobel Prizes are hard!

Field Medals are only awarded every 4 years and only for people 40 years or less[ citation granted ] . it's far more competitive, and only the smartest, genius mathematicians with a breakthrough discovery in mathematics can even hope of being awarded the honor. comparing it to the yearly Nobel Prize award is almost like an insult tbh.


I just want to say that I absolitely agree with everything said here and would like to add that the Field Medals are awarded based on actual merit and objective accomplishment. They are not a popularity contest like the nobel prize.
8457 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 2/2/17

namealreadytaken wrote:

Field Medals in Mathematics are only awarded every 4 years and only for people 40 years or less[ citation granted ] . it's far more competitive, and only the smartest, genius mathematicians with a breakthrough discovery in mathematics can even hope of being awarded the honor. comparing it to the yearly Nobel Prize award is almost like an insult tbh.

edited to make sure it's clear i'm talking about Field Medal in Mathematics. i think there's also one for Physics but not sure.

edit: nevermind, it's Mathematician's exclusive. then again, all other subjects are really just applied mathematics, anyway.


Idk if you or anyone finds this interesting but I think I remember Rodney Mullen (Famous Skater) in one of his talks on TED or TEDx (or maybe it was for another organization) say that he met one of the guys who got the fields metal and they became friends. During one of their conversations the guy said that (and I'm paraphrasing) he sometimes walks into collage campus math class that's in session, listens in for the whole talk and has no clue what they're even talking about made me think about what it means to be a "genius" or "smart" regardles if that story is true or not.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.