Post Reply Reaching chapter five when I really get into it?
47703 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 2/5/17
Whenever I write a story and I am really into the story, I always go up to chapter five. I find myself unable to surpass chapter five for some odd reason. Thinking about it I thought I could write a short story broken into five parts. But writing a short story is hard because I have to force myself not to go into novel territory. Anyway, got any tips on what I could do. I really want to write a novel but I keep staying at chapter five. I don't know why! I'm starting to think chapter five is the most I can write. What do you think?
11000 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / People's Republic...
Offline
Posted 2/5/17
Maybe, instead of sitting down and just writing or typing, you could put together a mind map. Think about a story you want to tell. Map the overall plot, at a high level, from beginning to end. Then go down a level and map out more detail. Map out the conflict and character development. Then break it up into chapters for presentation. Then pick up your pen and start actually writing.
3988 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 2/5/17
it's important to take a break every now and then. so ye take a break if you think you need to, review what you've written, I'm pretty sure you've got a good idea in your head where the story will go in future,the hard part I see here is getting there. write some drafts of the future plot, see if you can come up with any idea that bridges that gap, or if all else fails your on a site that hosts loads of content with backup - plans for this sort of thing. you could change tack for a while and develop a previous character by giving them the spotlight your main has had, you could come up with an event that puts the future event and the one you wrote together through developing another character this way.
Posted 2/5/17
Structure your ideas on a visual map.
List how much of each short story would be in the first section, second section, etc.
Jot down the summarised plot on each section....

Then you write and make sure that your ideas all land in the direction?
47703 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 2/5/17

karatecowboy wrote:

Maybe, instead of sitting down and just writing or typing, you could put together a mind map. Think about a story you want to tell. Map the overall plot, at a high level, from beginning to end. Then go down a level and map out more detail. Map out the conflict and character development. Then break it up into chapters for presentation. Then pick up your pen and start actually writing.


I always think about the story and make little notes for it. I just have to start writing the story sooner than later.

I also noticed that I when write the prologue and chapter one, I stop because I am not feeling the story.

I feel so useless when it comes to writing.
47703 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 2/5/17

omlettespammer wrote:

it's important to take a break every now and then. so ye take a break if you think you need to, review what you've written, I'm pretty sure you've got a good idea in your head where the story will go in future,the hard part I see here is getting there. write some drafts of the future plot, see if you can come up with any idea that bridges that gap, or if all else fails your on a site that hosts loads of content with backup - plans for this sort of thing. you could change tack for a while and develop a previous character by giving them the spotlight your main has had, you could come up with an event that puts the future event and the one you wrote together through developing another character this way.


So take a break and review the work?
One Punch Mod
104764 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 2/5/17

qualeshia3 wrote:


karatecowboy wrote:

Maybe, instead of sitting down and just writing or typing, you could put together a mind map. Think about a story you want to tell. Map the overall plot, at a high level, from beginning to end. Then go down a level and map out more detail. Map out the conflict and character development. Then break it up into chapters for presentation. Then pick up your pen and start actually writing.


I always think about the story and make little notes for it. I just have to start writing the story sooner than later.

I also noticed that I when write the prologue and chapter one, I stop because I am not feeling the story.

I feel so useless when it comes to writing.


Maybe start writing in the middle instead of at the beginning?

You can go back later to write the part that comes before.
Humms 
12001 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 2/5/17
Maybe you should just keep writing

Like me.

This isn't about your capabilities. This is about your progress, and there is no such excuse as being incapable. Stop finding excuses.
47703 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 2/5/17

Humms wrote:

Maybe you should just keep writing

Like me.

This isn't about your capabilities. This is about your progress, and there is no such excuse as being incapable. Stop finding excuses.


But it's not an excuse. I've been doing that since I was younger. I never really been able to make it past chapter five. I have no clue why that is. I guess my attention and motivation can only go but so far.
Humms 
12001 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 2/5/17

qualeshia3 wrote:


Humms wrote:

Maybe you should just keep writing

Like me.

This isn't about your capabilities. This is about your progress, and there is no such excuse as being incapable. Stop finding excuses.


But it's not an excuse. I've been doing that since I was younger. I never really been able to make it past chapter five. I have no clue why that is. I guess my attention and motivation can only go but so far.


I won't repeat myself again.

Stop finding excuses
47703 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 2/5/17

Humms wrote:

I won't repeat myself again.

Stop finding excuses



Alright.
You must be logged in to post.