First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next  Last
Post Reply Why I Left the Left
28146 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 2/10/17 , edited 2/12/17
Let you in on a little secret, I voted for Barack Obama in 2008 and ticked the box for every Democrat on my ballot. I was never a registered Democrat but their platform was better than the Republicans in my view. Now I think differently and it would appear I'm not the only one...

https://youtu.be/hiVQ8vrGA_8

Enjoy.
15090 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 2/10/17 , edited 2/19/17
In my opinion, thats dumb. Things encompased by the word "progressive" make up a tiny fraction of what you are actually voting for when you vote democrat. I disagree with a lot of the things typically attributed to "progressives", yet I still generally vote Democrat. I'd say the majority of what is considered "progressive" exists outside of government and exists much more in Universities or at the interpersonal level.
23875 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Oppai Hell
Offline
Posted 2/10/17 , edited 2/10/17
I like Rubin's Report, I agree with everything he has said.


28146 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 2/10/17

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I like Rubin's Report, I agree with everything he has said.


That's good. Practice what you preach.
23875 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Oppai Hell
Offline
Posted 2/10/17 , edited 2/13/17

MysticGon wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I like Rubin's Report, I agree with everything he has said.


That's good. Practice what you preach.


Except my one problem with his video lies in bakers violating their conscience on the floors of religion. Hell, I'd argue that bigotry is an excuse in itself to discriminate, and we should not afford religion such big room to discriminate just because it is.

Yet I feel that if you, the individual, are not a business, such as a freelance wedding photographer, but own a business that cannot discriminate against black customers, than I feel it would be terribly inconsistent to allow them to discriminate against gay customers. It is not like both have their ties in religion at the height of these antimovements. My conclusion? Religion is nearly meaningless in this debate. Either you should be able to discriminate based on your bigotry, or you shouldn't be able to in most cases. Freedom is the basis for allowing discrimination, not religion. Religion is just a loopy loophole.


In this case, I argue against the ability to discriminate because I want the freedom of walking where I please in public places. Although his sisterhood of nuns is something I wholly agree with. I am not much of an expert in business law, though I would clearly make a distinction between individuals and businesses.
28146 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 2/10/17 , edited 3/5/17

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


MysticGon wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I like Rubin's Report, I agree with everything he has said.


That's good. Practice what you preach.


Except my one problem with his video lies in bakers violating their conscience on the floors of religion. Hell, I'd argue that bigotry is an excuse in itself to discriminate, and we should not afford religion such big room to discriminate just because it is.

Yet I feel that if you, the individual, are not a business, such as a freelance wedding photographer, but own a business that cannot discriminate against black customers, than I feel it would be terribly inconsistent to allow them to discriminate against gay customers. It is not like both have their ties in religion at the height of these antimovements. My conclusion? Religion is nearly meaningless in this debate. Either you should be able to discriminate based on your bigotry, or you shouldn't be able to in most cases. Freedom is the basis for allowing discrimination, not religion. Religion is just a loopy loophole.


In this case, I argue against the ability to discriminate because I want the freedom of walking where I please in public places. Although his sisterhood of nuns is something I wholly agree with. I am not much of an expert in business law, though I would clearly make a distinction between individuals and businesses.


If you are liberal you'd give people the liberty to be ignorant bigots and reap the consequences of their actions.
Posted 2/10/17 , edited 2/19/17
I was a conservative right winger who believed the Bible should be the only form of law.
Thankfully I left that behind
23875 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Oppai Hell
Offline
Posted 2/10/17

MysticGon wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:


MysticGon wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I like Rubin's Report, I agree with everything he has said.


That's good. Practice what you preach.


Except my one problem with his video lies in bakers violating their conscience on the floors of religion. Hell, I'd argue that bigotry is an excuse in itself to discriminate, and we should not afford religion such big room to discriminate just because it is.

Yet I feel that if you, the individual, are not a business, such as a freelance wedding photographer, but own a business that cannot discriminate against black customers, than I feel it would be terribly inconsistent to allow them to discriminate against gay customers. It is not like both have their ties in religion at the height of these antimovements. My conclusion? Religion is nearly meaningless in this debate. Either you should be able to discriminate based on your bigotry, or you shouldn't be able to in most cases. Freedom is the basis for allowing discrimination, not religion. Religion is just a loopy loophole.


In this case, I argue against the ability to discriminate because I want the freedom of walking where I please in public places. Although his sisterhood of nuns is something I wholly agree with. I am not much of an expert in business law, though I would clearly make a distinction between individuals and businesses.


If you are liberal you'd give people the liberty to be ignorant bigots and reap the consequences of their actions.


I agree with you for once. In fact, this happened in an entirely separate thread in September.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-966335/religious-freedomlicense-for-bigotry-yes-or-no?pg=1#54727723

Spooky.
21831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / In
Online
Posted 2/10/17
Going to war turned me from right I was so fed up with the conservative right lip service to veterans.

"Gee went Iraq and lost your leg well super thank you for service. Now just go here out of sight where we can't see you btw we voting to cut funding to the VA again"
8965 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Ark-La-Tex
Offline
Posted 2/10/17
You're free to spout off whatever bigoted garbage you want. Just don't cry like a baby when everyone else calls you out on it.
86866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M / WA
Offline
Posted 2/10/17 , edited 2/10/17

PeripheralVisionary wrote:
Except my one problem with his video lies in bakers violating their conscience on the floors of religion. Hell, I'd argue that bigotry is an excuse in itself to discriminate, and we should not afford religion such big room to discriminate just because it is.

Yet I feel that if you, the individual, are not a business, such as a freelance wedding photographer, but own a business that cannot discriminate against black customers, than I feel it would be terribly inconsistent to allow them to discriminate against gay customers. It is not like both have their ties in religion at the height of these antimovements. My conclusion? Religion is nearly meaningless in this debate. Either you should be able to discriminate based on your bigotry, or you shouldn't be able to in most cases. Freedom is the basis for allowing discrimination, not religion. Religion is just a loopy loophole.

In this case, I argue against the ability to discriminate because I want the freedom of walking where I please in public places. Although his sisterhood of nuns is something I wholly agree with. I am not much of an expert in business law, though I would clearly make a distinction between individuals and businesses.


The baker sold cakes to homosexual couples but couldn't violate their conscience by putting messages on the cake or participating in their ceremony, that is not bigotry. They ...and you have the freedom to go elsewhere; the sexual inquisition cannot tolerate dissent.


uncletim wrote:

Going to war turned me from right I was so fed up with the conservative right lip service to veterans.

"Gee went Iraq and lost your leg well super thank you for service. Now just go here out of sight where we can't see you btw we voting to cut funding to the VA again"


Cut funding for a VA letting veterans die so long as their stats look good ....how could anyone do such a thing?
1326 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/10/17
I had recently realize that the two major parties of US become realign on the two positions of the cultural issues instead of the economic issues. Due to this, I now decide to take a more neutral position on the "Democrats vs Republicans".
21831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / In
Online
Posted 2/10/17 , edited 2/10/17



Cut funding for a VA letting veterans die so long as their stats look good ....how could anyone do such a thing?


http://usuncut.com/politics/happy-veterans-day-5-times-republicans-in-congress-screwed-veterans/
Oh and if your thinking if it was Obama that turned out to be false a little fact checking will help you know
http://www.factcheck.org/2016/04/va-funds-and-syrian-refugees/

The GOP has been screwing vets for years
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/10/23/1249904/-GOP-s-actual-track-record-on-supporting-veterans
Posted 2/10/17
haha good points made
28146 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 2/10/17 , edited 2/10/17
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.