First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
We Are Not Safe
16349 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/11/17 , edited 2/11/17
The 60s.
3277 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / The margins
Online
Posted 2/11/17 , edited 2/11/17

octorockandroll wrote:


auroraloose wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:

You're right OP, you're not safe. You and all the other people like you with your narrow minds and many prejudices are never safe because you all view anyone who does not match your ideals and fear mongering as a threat to you. It's obvious from the way you want to equate a person voting differently than you to borderline treason that you cannot handle things that don't fit your miniscule and distorted worldview. You and all the others like you are never safe because the only thing that makes you feel safe is your own selves and any who are different make you feel unsafe.



This is an online forum; going scorched earth is a bad strategy.


There's no "scorched earth" stuff going on here, I'm just pointing out what's demonstrably true from the first post in the thread. Mxdan had a very similar observation of the opening statements by DeadlyOats as well.


You think going straight to devastating generalizations isn't scorched earth? You just said his world view is "miniscule and distorted" and that he is intolerant and afraid of everyone who doesn't think or behave like him. However true that may be - I imagine it's not - your declaration of judgment will do no one any good. You're certainly not going to convince anyone of anything that way. And if it makes you and people on your side feel good because you've constructed yourself as superior, then it's done you harm.
12145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 2/11/17 , edited 2/11/17

auroraloose wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:

There's no "scorched earth" stuff going on here, I'm just pointing out what's demonstrably true from the first post in the thread. Mxdan had a very similar observation of the opening statements by DeadlyOats as well.


You think going straight to devastating generalizations isn't scorched earth? You just said his world view is "miniscule and distorted" and that he is intolerant and afraid of everyone who doesn't think or behave like him. However true that may be - I imagine it's not - your declaration of judgment will do no one any good. You're certainly not going to convince anyone of anything that way. And if it makes you and people on your side feel good because you've constructed yourself as superior, then it's done you harm.


Uh, what devastating generalisations exactly? It's a generalization to say that people who feel threatened by whatever doesn't fit their worldview are threatened by whatever doesn't fit their worldview?
3277 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / The margins
Online
Posted 2/11/17 , edited 2/12/17

octorockandroll wrote:

Uh, what devastating generalisations exactly? It's a generalization to say that people who feel threatened by whatever doesn't fit their worldview are threatened by whatever doesn't fit their worldview?


How do you know this person "feel[s] threatened by whatever doesn't fit their worldview"? Do you have access to everything DeadlyOats thinks? Or do you just disagree with or dislike the things he's happened to comment on? You are generalizing - and you should think about why you're being defensive about it. Lashing out may feel nice, but it is only harmful. Convincing someone of something is a lot more than just having the facts.
12145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 2/11/17 , edited 2/11/17

auroraloose wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:

Uh, what devastating generalisations exactly? It's a generalization to say that people who feel threatened by whatever doesn't fit their worldview are threatened by whatever doesn't fit their worldview?


How do you know this person "feel[s] threatened by whatever doesn't fit their worldview"? Do you have access to everything DeadlyOats thinks? Or do you just disagree with or dislike the things he's happened to comment on? You are generalizing - and you should think about why you're being defensive about it. Lashing out may feel nice, but it is only harmful. Convincing someone of something is a lot more than just having the facts.


Well this guy has said that he feels unsafe because of liberalism which he disagrees with to the point of calling it "unamerican" so call me crazy but I'm pretty sure that means he's feels unsafe by what he disagrees with.
1442 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / Ireland
Offline
Posted 2/11/17 , edited 2/11/17
You are a really silly man.
657 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
57 / M
Offline
Posted 2/11/17 , edited 2/11/17

sundin13 wrote:

When did we become a society of fear?


November 8, 2016
Ejanss 
17107 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/11/17 , edited 2/11/17

DeadlyOats wrote:

We will likely have even bigger terror attacks than we've already had.... Thanks to the most liberal, the most leftist, most Un-American group of people in the country.

The Ninth Circuit Court.


And remember, America: Judges are wrong if they don't like you.
3277 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / The margins
Online
Posted 2/11/17 , edited 2/11/17

octorockandroll wrote:


auroraloose wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:

Uh, what devastating generalisations exactly? It's a generalization to say that people who feel threatened by whatever doesn't fit their worldview are threatened by whatever doesn't fit their worldview?


How do you know this person "feel[s] threatened by whatever doesn't fit their worldview"? Do you have access to everything DeadlyOats thinks? Or do you just disagree with or dislike the things he's happened to comment on? You are generalizing - and you should think about why you're being defensive about it. Lashing out may feel nice, but it is only harmful. Convincing someone of something is a lot more than just having the facts.


Well this guy has said that he feels unsafe because of liberalism which he disagrees with to the point of calling it "unamerican" so call me crazy but I'm pretty sure that means he's feels unsafe by what he disagrees with.


Actually, he said that this particular "liberal" judicial decision is making us unsafe. That's a bit different from "what he disagrees with." I don't think you're crazy, but I do think you're rationalizing unfairly. This kind of sloppy, unbecoming behavior hurts the causes you happen to espouse.
12145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 2/11/17 , edited 2/11/17

auroraloose wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:

Well this guy has said that he feels unsafe because of liberalism which he disagrees with to the point of calling it "unamerican" so call me crazy but I'm pretty sure that means he's feels unsafe by what he disagrees with.


Actually, he said that this particular "liberal" judicial decision is making us unsafe. That's a bit different from "what he disagrees with." I don't think you're crazy, but I do think you're rationalizing unfairly. This kind of sloppy, unbecoming behavior hurts the causes you happen to espouse.


He pretty clearly shows that he equates liberalism to danger. -_-


DeadlyOats wrote:

We will likely have even bigger terror attacks than we've already had.... Thanks to the most liberal, the most leftist, most Un-American group of people in the country.


3277 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / The margins
Online
Posted 2/11/17 , edited 2/11/17

octorockandroll wrote:


auroraloose wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:

Well this guy has said that he feels unsafe because of liberalism which he disagrees with to the point of calling it "unamerican" so call me crazy but I'm pretty sure that means he's feels unsafe by what he disagrees with.


Actually, he said that this particular "liberal" judicial decision is making us unsafe. That's a bit different from "what he disagrees with." I don't think you're crazy, but I do think you're rationalizing unfairly. This kind of sloppy, unbecoming behavior hurts the causes you happen to espouse.


He pretty clearly shows that he equates liberalism to danger. -_-


DeadlyOats wrote:

We will likely have even bigger terror attacks than we've already had.... Thanks to the most liberal, the most leftist, most Un-American group of people in the country.




Regardless of what you think he might believe - perhaps DeadlyOats does think liberalism is dangerous - that is very different from saying his worldview is "miniscule and distorted" and that he considers everything different from him as a threat.

Could you address my assertion that talking this way is detrimental to you and the cause you're espousing, and to your efforts to convince anyone?
39169 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 2/11/17 , edited 2/13/17
I can understand if you want to disagree with me. But all of the personal attacks against me? I never make personal attacks on any of YOU. I NEVER denigrate or belittle ANY OF YOU. I'll disagree vehemently with your views. I'll post news articles, or other sources to back up my views, but NEVER belittle any of you.

All of your arguments against me have been nothing but personal attacks, or if you did make an argument, laced those arguments with personal attacks.

This is why I can't take any of you serious, when you say you believe in individual freedoms and in an individual to have their right to disagree with you.

I WILL say you are wrong, and I WILL say why I think you are wrong. I expect that YOU WILL disagree with me, and tell me that I am wrong, but in saying you are wrong, I'm not insulting you, I am arguing a point with you. Why can't you argue a point without denigration?

I think it is because you are trying to ostracize me. You are trying to make me the bad guy. You are trying to bully me and demoralize me, in hopes I will stop posting my opinions and ideals. That kind of behavior IS un-American.

12145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 2/11/17 , edited 2/11/17

auroraloose wrote:

Regardless of what you think he might believe - perhaps DeadlyOats does think liberalism is dangerous - that is very different from saying his worldview is "miniscule and distorted" and that he considers everything different from him as a threat.

Could you address my assertion that talking this way is detrimental to you and the cause you're espousing, and to your efforts to convince anyone?


I wasn't trying to convince anybody. I've long since given up on trying to actually to sway anyone's opinions on the interent since even when backed up with scientific fact and evidence people still generally resist admitting to being in any way mistaken. I don't post here for a "cause" I do it to either say my piece (like in this case) or to take the piss.
3277 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / The margins
Online
Posted 2/11/17 , edited 2/11/17

octorockandroll wrote:


Well this guy has said that he feels unsafe because of liberalism which he disagrees with to the point of calling it "unamerican" so call me crazy but I'm pretty sure that means he's feels unsafe by what he disagrees with.



DeadlyOats wrote:

I think it is because you are trying to ostracize me. You are trying to make me the bad guy. You are trying to bully me and demoralize me, in hopes I will stop posting my opinions and ideals. That kind of behavior IS un-American.



What made the both of you focus on this idea of un-Americanism? And I don't mean its history; I mean why are you two in particular talking about it as if it's important?
3277 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / The margins
Online
Posted 2/11/17 , edited 2/12/17

octorockandroll wrote:

I wasn't trying to convince anybody. I've long since given up on trying to actually to sway anyone's opinions on the interent since even when backed up with scientific fact and evidence people still generally resist admitting to being in any way mistaken. I don't post here for a "cause" I do it to either say my piece (like in this case) or to take the piss.


So you post these condemnations for yourself? I'm glad you understand this.

You may have given up on changing people's minds on the internet (admittedly a hard thing to accomplish), but you've exchanged it for solidifying people's minds against each other. That isn't good for anyone. Because the causes are really there, and they're important. People on the internet are people in real life, too - and the arguments here are just as real as they are through other forms of communication. You shouldn't use them for your own personal ends.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.