First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply Oh Canada...
21289 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Leanbox, Gameindu...
Offline
Posted 2/11/17 , edited 2/11/17
Someone who commits a crime like that needs to be permanently removed from society like in a state run mental institution. I guess political correctness trumps public safety. Besides, letting someone who decapitates a random person walk free is no justice for the victim's family, I could understand an alternative to prison in this case, but come on.


sundin13 wrote:


walker1455 wrote:

If his doctors believe he's capable of going back into society then they're the experts here


Pretty much this. The criminal justice system's job is to get rehabilitated people back on the street and that is no different for people who have medical issues such as this. We shouldn't be appalled that this guy is being released, we should be glad that the system believes that he is rehabilitated.


This is where much of the international community and the US differ. Is see people such as murders and rapists beyond redemption and the prison system should be looked as a form of punishment, not as some sort of therapy or resort for the worst criminals.

Now lower level criminals, sure I could get on board with that and drug usage and sex work offenses shouldn't even be crimes. Why the hell the government is policing what individuals decide to consume or do with their bodies is beyond me. If someone wants to destroy their health or participate in something that much of the public sees as immoral while they aren't not hurting anyone else, well that's on them. It's not daddy government's job to protect people from themselves.
14726 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Online
Posted 2/11/17

kevz_210 wrote:

This is where much of the international community and the US differ. Is see people such as murders and rapists beyond redemption and the prison system should be looked as a form of punishment, not as some sort of therapy or resort for the worst criminals.


I feel that the US objectively has it wrong by virtually every statistic, from recidivism to crime rates to cost. While punishment is obviously one of the pillars of the criminal justice system, it is not the only pillar and it isn't even the most important pillar. Keeping someone who will never commit another crime again in prison helps no one.
19763 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 2/11/17

kevz_210 wrote:


This is where much of the international community and the US differ. Is see people such as murders and rapists beyond redemption and the prison system should be looked as a form of punishment, not as some sort of therapy or resort for the worst criminals.

Now lower level criminals, sure I could get on board with that and drug usage and sex work offenses shouldn't even be crimes. Why the hell the government is policing what individuals decide to consume or do with their bodies is beyond me. If someone wants to destroy their health or participate in something that much of the public sees as immoral while they aren't not hurting anyone else, well that's on them. It's not daddy government's job to protect people from themselves.


As much as I agree with the notion the offender in question should never see the light of day again so to speak I only have one thing to say. Yanks and the Brits are not the entirety of the international community, you have to stop pretending they are mate. It lowers my already rock bottom opinion of you.
7543 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/11/17 , edited 2/11/17
so what you want to say is, despite mental illnesses or not, the treatment should be the same?

i don't think you've been in contact with or experienced someone with a mental illness before so you lack empathy towards it and fail to realise how stupid that is.

it's sad and very unfortunate for events like that to happen, but at the same time, it isn't their fault because it isn't something they can control.

stop building a stigma towards people with mental illnesses in saying that they're dangerous.
22284 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Oppai Hell
Offline
Posted 2/11/17

kevz_210 wrote:

Someone who commits a crime like that needs to be permanently removed from society like in a state run mental institution. I guess political correctness trumps public safety. Besides, letting someone who decapitates a random person walk free is no justice for the victim's family, I could understand an alternative to prison in this case, but come on.


sundin13 wrote:


walker1455 wrote:

If his doctors believe he's capable of going back into society then they're the experts here


Pretty much this. The criminal justice system's job is to get rehabilitated people back on the street and that is no different for people who have medical issues such as this. We shouldn't be appalled that this guy is being released, we should be glad that the system believes that he is rehabilitated.


This is where much of the international community and the US differ. Is see people such as murders and rapists beyond redemption and the prison system should be looked as a form of punishment, not as some sort of therapy or resort for the worst criminals.

Now lower level criminals, sure I could get on board with that and drug usage and sex work offenses shouldn't even be crimes. Why the hell the government is policing what individuals decide to consume or do with their bodies is beyond me. If someone wants to destroy their health or participate in something that much of the public sees as immoral while they aren't not hurting anyone else, well that's on them. It's not daddy government's job to protect people from themselves.


I am not quite sure I agree. There are some innately vicious people like Ted Bundy, who I would definitely say deserve the death penalty, but I think certain considerations should be made for those like Schizophrenics, whose reality actually is voices and such.

I think a better explanation for why they cannot differentiate is because some are born with it, while others develop. Therefore, it might be logically to assume it is real, if I had to guess. It is not so obvious when you are the afflicted. It is is this pseudo reality thing that makes up heaps of simulated reality dystopias and such.

Sort of like how bad eyesight is difficult to detect because the person with such a defect does not even know that said sign is suppose to be blurry at so and so distance.
27693 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 2/11/17

Lifthrasir wrote:

so what you want to say is, despite mental illnesses or not, the treatment should be the same?

i don't think you've been in contact with or experienced someone with a mental illness before so you lack empathy towards it and fail to realise how stupid that is.

it's sad and very unfortunate for events like that to happen, but at the same time, it isn't their fault because it isn't something they can control.

now fuck off and stop building a stigma towards people with mental illnesses in saying that they're dangerous.


There is the assumption, right on cue. I have a sibling with a mental disorder. It's better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool than opening your mouth and removing all doubt.
27137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/11/17

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I am not quite sure I agree. There are some innately vicious people like Ted Bundy, who I would definitely say deserve the death penalty, but I think certain considerations should be made for those like Schizophrenics, whose reality actually is voices and such.

I think a better explanation for why they cannot differentiate is because some are born with it, while others develop. Therefore, it might be logically to assume it is real, if I had to guess. It is not so obvious when you are the afflicted. It is is this pseudo reality thing that makes up heaps of simulated reality dystopias and such.

Sort of like how bad eyesight is difficult to detect because the person with such a defect does not even know that said sign is suppose to be blurry at so and so distance.


It is when it is left unaddressed--which was absolutely the case in this instance. I don't think people understand how much severe mental illness affects people beyond their conscious control until they experience it for themselves. Medication helps a great deal. In such scenarios, one can be dealing with two victims instead of one. Mental illness is no excuse for violence, but it is a undeniable factor in the interpretation of such incidents.

I lack awareness of some of my own behaviors--to which I record myself in order to observe. While mine are relatively harmless, outside of clumsy injury to myself, some people (such as those with severe untreated schizophrenia, for example) are not nearly as fortunate.

People with OCD are known for experiencing significant distress when trying to reject compulsions. Severe anxiety, severe depression--all of it can exist beyond conscious control or even comprehension. People can be a victim to their own bodies and thoughts. Early detection and treatment of mental illness is the best recourse.

I will trust the professionals that place themselves on the line to attest to someone's rehabilitation and successful treatment.

5054 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/11/17
Lots of canada today.
27693 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 2/11/17 , edited 2/11/17
Also anyone who has a family member with a mental disorder knows how woefully, let's be kind, overwhelmed people in that profession can be. Quick to prescribe slow to follow up. (At least where I live)
mxdan 
10840 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / A Husk.
Offline
Posted 2/11/17 , edited 2/11/17

sundin13 wrote:


walker1455 wrote:

If his doctors believe he's capable of going back into society then they're the experts here


Pretty much this. The criminal justice system's job is to get rehabilitated people back on the street and that is no different for people who have medical issues such as this. We shouldn't be appalled that this guy is being released, we should be glad that the system believes that he is rehabilitated.


Agreed.

I'd also add that having a sense of hammurabi in justice is hard to quantify. It shouldn't be the role of our Justice Department to 'make people pay' rather 'make sure people are safe'. I think Americans in particular become obsessed with justice to the point where it has little to do with outcomes anymore and more to do with making someone else feel pain.
7543 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/11/17

MysticGon wrote:


Lifthrasir wrote:

so what you want to say is, despite mental illnesses or not, the treatment should be the same?

i don't think you've been in contact with or experienced someone with a mental illness before so you lack empathy towards it and fail to realise how stupid that is.

it's sad and very unfortunate for events like that to happen, but at the same time, it isn't their fault because it isn't something they can control.

now fuck off and stop building a stigma towards people with mental illnesses in saying that they're dangerous.


There is the assumption, right on cue. I have a sibling with a mental disorder. It's better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool than opening your mouth and removing all doubt.

i should keep quiet? all you've done is created a presence of stigma for people with mental illnesses and a pure misunderstanding for people who are ignorant to these things, and your second source of material is from the 'mirror' which is the equivalent of wikipedia of the internet.

and tell me what your sibling has, because i am very curious.
27693 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 2/11/17 , edited 2/12/17

Lifthrasir wrote:


MysticGon wrote:


Lifthrasir wrote:

so what you want to say is, despite mental illnesses or not, the treatment should be the same?

i don't think you've been in contact with or experienced someone with a mental illness before so you lack empathy towards it and fail to realise how stupid that is.

it's sad and very unfortunate for events like that to happen, but at the same time, it isn't their fault because it isn't something they can control.

now fuck off and stop building a stigma towards people with mental illnesses in saying that they're dangerous.


There is the assumption, right on cue. I have a sibling with a mental disorder. It's better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool than opening your mouth and removing all doubt.

i should keep quiet? all you've done is created a presence of stigma for people with mental illnesses and a pure misunderstanding for people who are ignorant to these things, and your second source of material is from the 'mirror' which is the equivalent of wikipedia of the internet.

and tell me what your sibling has, because i am very curious.


You come at me with assumptions and insults and now you want to have a civil discussion?


One Punch Mod
97900 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 2/11/17 , edited 2/12/17

Lifthrasir wrote:

i'm not looking for a civil discussion with you, because you are ignorant.


If you are not looking for a civil discussion then please stay out of Crunchyroll's forums. It is possible to disagree with someone, and to disagree passionately, without telling them their viewpoint is stupid, telling them to fuck off, and calling them ignorant.

I've made a slight edit to one of your posts where I felt doing so didn't change the overall message, and I've deleted several other posts, including those quoted here, since they are not contributing in any constructive way to the discussion. Please be respectful toward other users even when you disagree with them.


Lifthrasir wrote:

sure. feel free to clean up the mess i made.


Done. Well at least I wiped up some of it. I'm afraid a few streaks remain.

22284 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Oppai Hell
Offline
Posted 2/11/17

PrinceJudar wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I am not quite sure I agree. There are some innately vicious people like Ted Bundy, who I would definitely say deserve the death penalty, but I think certain considerations should be made for those like Schizophrenics, whose reality actually is voices and such.

I think a better explanation for why they cannot differentiate is because some are born with it, while others develop. Therefore, it might be logically to assume it is real, if I had to guess. It is not so obvious when you are the afflicted. It is is this pseudo reality thing that makes up heaps of simulated reality dystopias and such.

Sort of like how bad eyesight is difficult to detect because the person with such a defect does not even know that said sign is suppose to be blurry at so and so distance.


It is when it is left unaddressed--which was absolutely the case in this instance. I don't think people understand how much severe mental illness affects people beyond their conscious control until they experience it for themselves. Medication helps a great deal. In such scenarios, one can be dealing with two victims instead of one. Mental illness is no excuse for violence, but it is a undeniable factor in the interpretation of such incidents.

I lack awareness of some of my own behaviors--to which I record myself in order to observe. While mine are relatively harmless, outside of clumsy injury to myself, some people (such as those with severe untreated schizophrenia, for example) are not nearly as fortunate.

People with OCD are known for experiencing significant distress when trying to reject compulsions. Severe anxiety, severe depression--all of it can exist beyond conscious control or even comprehension. People can be a victim to their own bodies and thoughts. Early detection and treatment of mental illness is the best recourse.

I will trust the professionals that place themselves on the line to attest to someone's rehabilitation and successful treatment.



I completely agree, as to reason out my earlier line of knee jerk reaction, I have not quite moved away from continuous follow up.

My reasoning, and I hate to use this example, is more akin to Batfleck's reasoning for taking out Superman in BvS, which seems a pretty dickish move, but Batman always has a contingency plan, so that I cannot disagree with. In particular, this quote.

"He has the power to wipe out the entire human race, and if we believe there's even a one percent chance that he is our enemy we have to take it as an absolute certainty"

I disagree with the conflict, but I feel if there is such a minor action that can be taken to reduce rather horrific consequences then I would consider that idea.

Of course, hearing it out of Dick Cheney's mouth makes me reconsider my stance...
10940 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 2/11/17

MysticGon wrote:

Also anyone who has a family member with a mental disorder knows how woefully, let's be kind, overwhelmed people in that profession can be. Quick to prescribe slow to follow up.


Apparently not since I have multiple family members who fit that category and have never experienced what you're saying, having had on point aide for most of their lives.

We may have just had different experiences... Or you're just reaching to try and discredit people who are more experienced and knowledgeable than you in the matter at hand.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.