First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Another Boycott (Netflix series "Dear White People")
Ejanss 
17091 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/11/17 , edited 2/14/17

qwueri wrote:For Dear White People, it seems to be a bunch of freaking out because Netflix dared to frontline a leading character who's intended to be challenging and not necessarily likable, along with lingering butthurt over the MTV fiasco sharing a similar tagline.


Have to admit, I hadn't seen the trailer, read the headline and thought MTV had gotten full of itself enough to turn its little SJW stunt into a Bold New Reality/Journalism Series.
Even worse, the boycott has probably just given them the idea to.

Nope, turned out to be another "edgy" made-for-streaming "Assholes On Parade" sitcom, in the wake of Hulu's "Difficult People".
Heaven knows streaming has enough problems trying to do superhero shows, let alone sitcoms.
28261 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Kaguya's Panties
Offline
Posted 2/11/17 , edited 2/12/17
I'll be honest. I enjoy these people that want to "boycott" things. Messing with them, aggravating them intentionally and just flat out trolling them. It gives me an immense amount of satisfaction!
70005 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Oklahoma
Offline
Posted 2/11/17 , edited 2/12/17

uncletim wrote:


TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:


TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:

LMao it's not the alt right. My beliefs are "liberal" and I think it looks like stupid shit. It's annoying to see these race baiting shows put to production. That's why it's being boycotted.


Again, nothing about it seems "race baiting" besides the title. It's not race bating to address actual issues with race relations. I could be wrong and the show could end up being that way but seeing as the movie came out with no controversy that I could tell of I'd say that is a very small possibility.


So you're saying that a product shouldn't be judged for the title and the advertisement?

And what does black face have to do with "race relations" lol


For one thing it's highly offensive to black people, They view it as mocking their race


I think the point is that black face is extremely uncommon today - and can effectively be considered a non-issue. Anyone caught in it, even doing it to lambast racism ala Nancy Shurtz, will effectively experience social death. It's not as if society approves of it, which makes the message regarding it resoundingly hollow. It's like saying "slavery isn't cool guys" - the amount of people who are going to disagree are so miniscule that vocalizing it just makes one sound like an idiot anyway.
28247 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/11/17 , edited 2/14/17
The fact is if there was a show called Dear Black People the blacks and all the liberals would call for action and would boycott and force them to stop it but because its ok for it to bash white people... its the same with BET if you had a WET there would be a boycott and the station would be removed.. its getting old with all the white bashing and the government has laws protecting blacks.. and forcing white people to hire blacks but nothing saying that blacks have to hire whites so the government has taken sides and now we have Trump as a result. This racism exist on the side of the blacks far more than whites these days but the media wants to make it seems like blacks are always the victim but that is bullshit... I'm tired of this discrimination against white people and all the whites have to tip toe around black people's feelings etc.. or we can be sued.. the whole system has failed the people. Blacks today aren't going to be happy until every white person is their slaves and i'll start killing people before that happens.
qwueri 
23806 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / TN
Online
Posted 2/11/17 , edited 2/14/17

zinjashike wrote:

I think the point is that black face is extremely uncommon today - and can effectively be considered a non-issue. Anyone caught in it, even doing it to lambast racism ala Nancy Shurtz, will effectively experience social death. It's not as if society approves of it, which makes the message regarding it resoundingly hollow. It's like saying "slavery isn't cool guys" - the amount of people who are going to disagree are so miniscule that vocalizing it just makes one sound like an idiot anyway.


It may not be socially acceptable, but I think there's still a fair number of students who do so.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/texas-students-expelled-posing-blackface-snapchat-video-article-1.2873348
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/arkansas-college-student-expelled-blackface-cosby-costume-article-1.2851339
http://kfor.com/2017/01/17/osu-students-react-to-blackface-post/
http://www.thv11.com/news/local/uca-student-wearing-black-face-in-instagram-post-fraternity-suspended/344189192

Whether it's out of ignorance, an attempt to mock social norms, or whatever I won't pretend to understand the motive of each. But it is still a thing and it does play into the narrative of white people pretending to be color blind or asking 'why can they use the N word?'.
70005 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Oklahoma
Offline
Posted 2/11/17 , edited 2/14/17

qwueri wrote:


zinjashike wrote:

I think the point is that black face is extremely uncommon today - and can effectively be considered a non-issue. Anyone caught in it, even doing it to lambast racism ala Nancy Shurtz, will effectively experience social death. It's not as if society approves of it, which makes the message regarding it resoundingly hollow. It's like saying "slavery isn't cool guys" - the amount of people who are going to disagree are so miniscule that vocalizing it just makes one sound like an idiot anyway.


It may not be socially acceptable, but I think there's still a fair number of students who do so.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/texas-students-expelled-posing-blackface-snapchat-video-article-1.2873348
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/arkansas-college-student-expelled-blackface-cosby-costume-article-1.2851339
http://kfor.com/2017/01/17/osu-students-react-to-blackface-post/
http://www.thv11.com/news/local/uca-student-wearing-black-face-in-instagram-post-fraternity-suspended/344189192

Whether it's out of ignorance, an attempt to mock social norms, or whatever I won't pretend to understand the motive of each. But it is still a thing and it does play into the narrative of white people pretending to be color blind or asking 'why can they use the N word?'.



Once again though, this is like what, five people? Out of 21 MILLION going to college? That's .0000238% of the population of college students. Most of which were meant with condemnation.

For example I'm sure you can find one guy that thinks slavery is A-OK, but to pretend as if that's representative of current race relations is being disingenuous.
25561 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Beyond The Wall
Offline
Posted 2/11/17 , edited 2/12/17
i'll say the same thing I say to asshurt SJW cucks who didnt want Koei Tecmo to release Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 in the west.

IGNORE IT AND MOVE ON
qwueri 
23806 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / TN
Online
Posted 2/11/17 , edited 2/14/17

zinjashike wrote:

Once again though, this is like what, five people? Out of 21 MILLION going to college? That's .0000238% of the population of college students. Most of which were meant with condemnation.

For example I'm sure you can find one guy that thinks slavery is A-OK, but to pretend as if that's representative of current race relations is being disingenuous.


Incidents like those tend to be pretty big deals on campuses, of course they're not common. And yet multiple incidents of it happened within less than a year. Of course it doesn't mean every white person is guilty of it that kind of tone-deafness, but there are certainly incidents that happen on a semi-regular basis across the country.

And of course just from the overall tone of the netflix trailer, and especially the 2014 movie trailer, it's elements intentionally cranked up to 11 for (comedic?) effect.
5535 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 2/11/17 , edited 2/14/17

Allonan wrote:

The fact is if there was a show called Dear Black People the blacks and all the liberals would call for action and would boycott and force them to stop it but because its ok for it to bash white people... its the same with BET if you had a WET there would be a boycott and the station would be removed.. its getting old with all the white bashing and the government has laws protecting blacks.. and forcing white people to hire blacks but nothing saying that blacks have to hire whites so the government has taken sides and now we have Trump as a result. This racism exist on the side of the blacks far more than whites these days but the media wants to make it seems like blacks are always the victim but that is bullshit... I'm tired of this discrimination against white people and all the whites have to tip toe around black people's feelings etc.. or we can be sued.. the whole system has failed the people. Blacks today aren't going to be happy until every white person is their slaves and i'll start killing people before that happens.


That's not how those laws work. If someone was hiring noticably fewer white people then the demographic percentage, they would be breaking the same laws.

"Blacks today aren't going to be happy until every white person is their slaves and i'll start killing people before that happens."

Can we keep this ridiculous hyperbole out of it? Also the murder talk.
70005 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Oklahoma
Offline
Posted 2/11/17 , edited 2/14/17

qwueri wrote:
Incidents like those tend to be pretty big deals on campuses, of course they're not common.


Great, so you agree it's a non-issue and thus blown out of proportion?


And yet multiple incidents of it happened within less than a year.


So what? Once again, this isn't particularly meaningful in the least bit. They were not even a hundredth a percent of the population and were mostly met with condemnation.


Of course it doesn't mean every white person is guilty of it that kind of tone-deafness, but


No, there is no "but" here. If it weren't for larger media you wouldn't have even known this occurred, and equally because of the topic is why it reached such publication heights. It's a strawman at best.


there are certainly incidents that happen on a semi-regular basis across the country.


You're arguing time between incidents, but that does not reflect meaningful data. It could happen once a month and still not matter, because quantitatively it's not representative of the larger sample size.


And of course just from the overall tone of the netflix trailer, and especially the 2014 movie trailer, it's elements intentionally cranked up to 11 for (comedic?) effect.


We'll see, satirizing largely depends on context, message, and delivery. Anytime hyperbole is used I have to question whether the message is ultimately weak and requires a large degree of juxtaposition to seem reasonable.


Jean104 wrote:

That's not how those laws work. If someone was hiring noticably fewer white people then the demographic percentage, they would be breaking the same laws.


Ironically buzzfeed tried this, and argued excluding white people from job opportunities and work experiences is not in fact racist. I'd say they dodged a bullet though, who'd want buzzfeed on their resume.
14667 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 2/11/17 , edited 2/14/17
i wish people would research before getting mad/triggered. it's a stupid commercial, but it's based off a movie. anyone who get pissed off and canceled their accounts bother to research/watch the movie? i could list many shows on Netflix i'm not a fan of, doesn't mean i'll cancel, just means you don't watch it [or be petty and give it a one star without watching it]
qwueri 
23806 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / TN
Online
Posted 2/11/17 , edited 2/14/17

zinjashike wrote:

Great, so you agree it's a non-issue and thus blown out of proportion?

...

So what? Once again, this isn't particularly meaningful in the least bit. They were not even a hundredth a percent of the population and were mostly met with condemnation.

...

No, there is no "but" here. If it weren't for larger media you wouldn't have even known this occurred, and equally because of the topic is why it reached such publication heights. It's a strawman at best.

...

You're arguing time between incidents, but that does not reflect meaningful data. It could happen once a month and still not matter, because quantitatively it's not representative of the larger sample size.

...

We'll see, satirizing largely depends on context, message, and delivery. Anytime hyperbole is used I have to question whether the message is ultimately weak and requires a large degree of juxtaposition to seem reasonable.



I think you're getting lost in the weeds trying to marginalize blackface incidents through numbers. It's one of those things that should be fairly obvious that it's a bad idea, winds up making a big incident on that campus when it occurs, typically tarnishes kids' academic records, and yet still happens on what seems like a near monthly basis. It's not a big everyday issue that every person runs across, but it does happen. Sometimes even with celebrities who've been in the public eye for years. It's still a contemporary issue, and one that's easy to glance at and say, "Wow, those people are really fucking stupid" without a large sense of moral ambiguity, which I'm guessing was the entire point behind including it in the trailer.
70005 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Oklahoma
Offline
Posted 2/11/17 , edited 2/12/17

qwueri wrote:

I think you're getting lost in the weeds trying to marginalize blackface incidents through numbers.


This strikes me as an attempt to set up a kafka trap. We use numbers in society to engage importance of events every day. Numbers in this case make the most sense, and I will demonstrate that for you.

Let's say a racist incident happens everyday of the year. It's a single incident a day by a unique individual each day for a total of 365 people (and events). Clearly, I imagine the greater black populace would be happy with only 365 race driven events a year - but you could muddy them saying we haven't gone a day without a race related incident.

This is a mirror of the logic you're using.

Which is more important, the quantity of the events or the time between them? Answer that one seriously, and don't use weasel words or dodge. Simple answer.


It's one of those things that should be fairly obvious that it's a bad idea, winds up making a big incident on that campus when it occurs, typically tarnishes kids' academic records, and yet still happens on what seems like a near monthly basis. It's not a big everyday issue that every person runs across, but it does happen


Yes, and people get their dicks stuck in pool suction filters - we don't need a PSA on why it's bad to stick it in these because a handful of idiots do this do we? My argument is people do a lot of stupid things daily, but by the numbers we can tell whether it's actually worth addressing at large.


It's still a contemporary issue


It really isn't. Let's say 100 people do it a year in the US (and I'd guess that's overestimating a lot) that's what, 0.00004899655% of the white population in the US?

To call this an "issue" is to relate back to my earlier example - if this is an issue then dicks getting stuck in things is a fucking epidemic. This is not the example to throw yourself on the sword for.


one that's easy to glance at and say, "Wow, those people are really fucking stupid" without a large sense of moral ambiguity, which I'm guessing was the entire point behind including it in the trailer.


I'd argue it's easier to use for the opposite: because it's largely a non-issue and that most intrinsically understand that there's an issue with it - that's why there is effectively no moral ambiguity. If it was an issue of larger proportion and more vague moral grounds it wouldn't be such an easy target would it?

I'd argue this is quite close to proving my point for me.
37460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26
Offline
Posted 2/11/17 , edited 2/12/17
People.

Not "Black people" or "White people" Or "Asian People" Or any other stereotypes of "people".

We are all human. It is fine to be proud of ones heritage, but it should not define "groups." This causes a natural fear in our feeble minds to fear others who appear different from what we associate ourselves to be.

I have plenty of friends who are different from me. I'll admit, When i was younger, I could be considered racist. But that was due to my lack of understanding. I willingly separated myself from others who were different from me because they "seemed" too different, and chose to stick with the group that was most like me. However, if you open your eyes, and look past the obvious differences, you will find out that we are not so different after all.

I just wish more people learn to be more accepting of the fact that we are one species, and not get stuck in the endless cycle of fear and hatred that engulfs the world today.

5113 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/11/17 , edited 2/12/17
Well, I for one, am not a very easily 'triggered' person I suppose. Cause while I'm likely to not watch it, I'm not boycotting all of netflix. Loading up another episode of penny dreadful actually, cause I ran out of stuff here.

But things I don't like is the automatic assumption that several people have based on the color of my skin that I'm a racist. That based on my sex, I'm a sexist. That based on my sexual orientation, I'm a homophobe. (Honestly I don't even know what the heck my real sexual orientation is. Trying to become a wizard.)

Social Justice and Feminisim and the like did a lot of good in the past. Its like someone pointing at fire and going "Fire is hot. Do not touch." and everyone is like "Yeah, makes sense. We shouldn't touch fire it will burn us." Then come the modern times where people are triggered at the color red because.. it is.. hot? Or that redheads are all arsonists because their hair color is red. Or people who just like the color red are burn apologists. Then its orange, then yellow. And people who work with hot things like cooks or iron workers etc are all really bad people who want to burn down the world. Even if they didn't start the fire. And.. I'm not sure where I'm going with this anymore..
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.