First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Did you know that Japan is the greatest country in the world?
7044 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Ann Arbor, Michigan
Offline
Posted 2/14/17 , edited 2/14/17
IT FUCKING IS!
16355 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/14/17 , edited 2/14/17
Why?
21257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / SoFlo
Offline
Posted 2/14/17 , edited 2/15/17
I've had fun there. You actually ever been?

It's a nice country. Wouldn't call it the greatest. But damn do I love their ramen.
16355 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/14/17 , edited 2/15/17
I know my parents enjoyed it, and other former military personnel I met enjoyed it. Unfortunately my own personal experience with Japan does not help. Was just too young when we left.
Just wondering what specifically makes it "the greatest", since an assertion does not help discussion.
38704 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 2/14/17 , edited 2/15/17
While I praise their efficient transport system, love of recycling and excellent cheap food eating out can be a nightmare sometimes lol. If you have any sort of diet requirements it can be difficult to find a place to eat because Japanese tend to be inflexible so say you are allergic to beans and you're like "Oh I'm allergic to beans can I have this with no beans?" and the reply would be "Mmm...That would be difficult..."

Other good point, on a night out the chances of having items stolen or being assaulted are very low compared to other parts of the world, however the chances of having to climb over somebody laid in their own sick is pretty high in parts of Tokyo lol. I once had to climb over a guy on the steps of a convenience store at 4am that wasn't fun.
Guest Pass Litter Moderator
120642 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 2/14/17 , edited 2/15/17
Sorry, but we already have a thread about this:

/forumtopic-935483/upskirt-umbrellas-are-now-a-thing-in-japan

jk


RaritySuperBro wrote:
IT FUCKING IS!


gornotck wrote:
Just wondering what specifically makes it "the greatest", since an assertion does not help discussion.


This.

RaritySuperBro, please add a little more substance to your opening post to encourage discussion. Otherwise the thread is going to be plagued by folks just yelling "weeb" (I've just deleted two posts like that) and I will probably have to close it as a result. Tell us what you like and think is especially great about Japan, and invite others to share what they think is great too.
2525 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Florida, USA
Offline
Posted 2/14/17 , edited 2/15/17
It's one of the greatest places to visit, but not live.
20213 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / The Heroes Associ...
Offline
Posted 2/14/17 , edited 2/15/17
take it from someone who speaks fluent japanese and whose friends are 90% japanese...its not. When you actually spend enough time there, your bubble of thinking its the greatest country in the world will pop realllly fast.
31311 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Online
Posted 2/14/17 , edited 2/15/17

AzazelOfNexium wrote:

take it from someone who speaks fluent japanese and whose friends are 90% japanese...its not. When you actually spend enough time there, your bubble of thinking its the greatest country in the world will pop realllly fast.


TBH that's EVERY country.
9322 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / MtF / PA
Offline
Posted 2/14/17 , edited 2/15/17
I wanna be big in Japan.

I mean honestly, I-I-I've been thinking about this... I think... we can do this...

And if I ever become famous... I will invite you all to Japan...

And we'll wrestle with Aniki together.
20213 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / The Heroes Associ...
Offline
Posted 2/14/17 , edited 2/15/17

Ryulightorb wrote:


AzazelOfNexium wrote:

take it from someone who speaks fluent japanese and whose friends are 90% japanese...its not. When you actually spend enough time there, your bubble of thinking its the greatest country in the world will pop realllly fast.


TBH that's EVERY country.


yes, but this topic is about japan.

Alot of people watch anime and seem to think they understand Japan more than anyone else, they dont. They dont realize how difficult it is to live there and be accepted within a society in which people would rather robots be caretakers for the elderly than a foreign immigrant worker.

Japanese culture is an extremely cold and distant culture where the 距離 (distance) between people is extremely far.
I love Japan, dont get me wrong, I am facinated by it. But its not a wonderland of fantasy that most people on crunchyroll think it is. Its a society where girls get forced into shooting porn when they simply wanted to do modeling because perhaps they may be a 迷惑(problem, bother) to their managers for not having sex with someone on camera. That same desire to not be a problem or bother permeates every aspect of Japanese culture.

Like other countries Japan has their problems, but we are not talking about other countries in this thread, we are talking specifically about Japan.
31311 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Online
Posted 2/14/17 , edited 2/15/17

AzazelOfNexium wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:


AzazelOfNexium wrote:

take it from someone who speaks fluent japanese and whose friends are 90% japanese...its not. When you actually spend enough time there, your bubble of thinking its the greatest country in the world will pop realllly fast.


TBH that's EVERY country.


yes, but this topic is about japan.

Alot of people watch anime and seem to think they understand Japan more than anyone else, they dont. They dont realize how difficult it is to live there and be accepted within a society in which people would rather robots be caretakers for the elderly than a foreign immigrant worker.

Japanese culture is an extremely cold and distant culture where the 距離 (distance) between people is extremely far.
I love Japan, dont get me wrong, I am facinated by it. But its not a wonderland of fantasy that most people on crunchyroll think it is. Its a society where girls get forced into shooting porn when they simply wanted to do modeling because perhaps they may be a 迷惑(problem, bother) to their managers for not having sex with someone on camera.

Like other countries Japan has their problems, but we are not talking about other countries in this thread, we are talking specifically about Japan.



It makes sense for someone to want a robot to take care of the elderly though....
i thought people already knew Japan is a cold place and not as social and happy like other countries that's what makes it cool the distance from eachother and just be by yourself.

Thats what i always saw as cool about Japan.
20213 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / The Heroes Associ...
Offline
Posted 2/14/17 , edited 2/15/17

Ryulightorb wrote:

It makes sense for someone to want a robot to take care of the elderly though....
i thought people already knew Japan is a cold place and not as social and happy like other countries that's what makes it cool the distance from eachother and just be by yourself.

Thats what i always saw as cool about Japan.


No its the fact that they are so objected towards the concept of someone of a different culture coming to Japan and polluting the Japanese culture that they turn to robots that is the problem. Japan has a really horrible track record of destroying any aspects of other cultures that "may pollute" their culture. Hence why the Ainu langauge is dead and the culture is literally on the brink of extinction after the Meiji government forcibly made them citizens of Japan and made it illegal for them to speak their own language and practice their culture. The only reason they practice it now, is because the government exploits it for monetary purposes. Most Japanese dont even know who the Ainu are, even though they are the major minority group in Japan.

Its not cool trust me. You may think it its "cool" but its not. Most of my Japanese friends at my Canadian University also agree that its not cool. When you have to work overtime for work because your expected to out of 義理(giri:duty) to the point you are unable to have a life outside of work and slaving away for piss poor wages its not cool. The amount of suicides in Japan that are caused by the coldness between certain people is horrific.

Trust me, when you are talking to someone you thought was your really good friend, and they still talk to you in Keigo (polite speech) or refer to not using your first name, it really sets you back in thinking about your relationships with that person. Its extremely hard for foreigners especially to understand the social climate and their relationships in that kind of environment. It looks cool from the outside for you, but once you get on the inside you will not enjoy it.

9957 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Iowa, but station...
Offline
Posted 2/14/17 , edited 2/15/17
I used to think Japan was really cool, but if I had to choose an asian country to visit, it would definitely have to be South Korea, with Japan a close second :P

19860 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 2/14/17 , edited 2/14/17
As a frequent visitor to Japan I have mixed feelings about the country. They're very polite and well spoken but in a very cold and distant way. The food is good I am not going to lie there. But it seems to me while they don't go out of their way to insult you there is a feeling of unwelcome if you're a foreigner. It's like they haven't gotten over that whole Sakoku thing they did not so long ago.

And despite my knowledge of the language the Japanese seems somewhat off put every time I use and go out of their way to use their minimal understanding of English. Look I get it mate you're just trying to be polite but I speak far better Japanese then you speak English and this whole conversation would go faster and smoother if we talk in the language you were born speaking.

Then there is the accepted rules of etiquette in Japan. Though after the sheer amount of time I've spent in Japan I am use to them I know it can be quite jarring for anyone new to them. Though at the same time I find it odd Japanese salary-men will at the same time get so drunk they'll pass out on the street, hell they'll even drink in the street an act that is usually illegal elsewhere.

But my biggest concern with Japan is the way they've turned themselves into basically robotic workforce putting up with employment practices that'd be crimes elsewhere.

So in the end I am not sure how anyone could say they're the greatest country in the world.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.