First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Japan’s interpreters struggle to make sense of ‘Trumpese’
1749 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Azeroth
Offline
Posted 2/18/17 , edited 2/19/17

octorockandroll wrote:
A good argument if you ignore the fact that Trump did not win by democracy seeing as he lost the popular vote and was only awarded a win in an electoral system that does to democracy what 4kids did to One Piece: It's recognizable, but you're still not gonna act like they're the same thing.



...only because liberals, election after election, don't care to count the +40% registered voters who "voted not to vote". Hillary only "won" popular vote, if you throw out everyone else, that is. If you don't vote, by default it means u support the winner. So Trump did "win" popular vote, after all. So did like literally every elected President, BTW.

FYI, not voting, is voting. A vote of abstention. If Democrats are gonna throw away over half the country as "a lost cause", they are not going to win many elections. Most of those people were dem-favorable, too. But they chose Hillary over Sanders, the shame.


Trump used this to his advantage, divide/conquer style. Getting supporters to positively vote for him, getting detractors to not vote against him. "You win the election by the people who didn't not vote against you", it is so.

And you wonder why Republicans still win everything. But no matter...
11630 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 2/18/17 , edited 2/18/17

TheGrandAlliance wrote:

...only because liberals, election after election, don't care to count the +40% registered voters who "voted not to vote". Hillary only "won" popular vote, if you throw out everyone else, that is. If you don't vote, by default it means u support the winner. So Trump did "win" popular vote, after all. So did like literally every elected President, BTW.

FYI, not voting, is voting. A vote of abstention. If Democrats are gonna throw away over half the country as "a lost cause", they are not going to win many elections. Most of those people were dem-favorable, too. But they chose Hillary over Sanders, the shame.

And you wonder why Republicans still win everything. But no matter...


*reads that*



What kind of fantasy land do you live in exactly? And is it okay if I start a travel agency that specialises in sending people there?
19835 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 2/18/17 , edited 2/18/17
As someone who speaks proper English ( not that swill the Yanks speak) and Japanese even I would struggle somewhat to translate Trump's speeches in real time to a Japanese audience . The man is a master of saying everything without really saying anything, of dropping culturally specific word play unique only to America and old stock Americans at that.

If Trump wants to be taken seriously he has to learn to speak with a clarity free of this word salad bullshit he insists on. Plenty of U.S Presidents have managed it Trump has no excuse.
19835 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 2/18/17

octorockandroll wrote:


What kind of fantasy land do you live in exactly? And is it okay if I start a travel agency that specialises in sending people there?


It's called right winged America, and I'd doubt you have many ticket sales to that mind fucked place.
11630 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 2/18/17

Ranwolf wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:


What kind of fantasy land do you live in exactly? And is it okay if I start a travel agency that specialises in sending people there?


It's called right winged America, and I'd doubt you have many ticket sales to that mind fucked place.


To be fair with who the opposition leaders were last election I'm not sure I'd want to hop on a plane to left wing america either...
3704 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 2/18/17

octorockandroll wrote:
To be fair with who the opposition leaders were last election I'm not sure I'd want to hop on a plane to left wing america either...
but it seems like they would stay in such a ... for a long time.
I do really hope the US people for once in the next election to be more "united" if they know what that means?

1749 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Azeroth
Offline
Posted 2/18/17 , edited 2/19/17

octorockandroll wrote:
What kind of fantasy land do you live in exactly? And is it okay if I start a travel agency that specialises in sending people there?



It's called 'merica, ya snivelling Canadian bacon! Mmmmmm, bacon...

It's the greatest place ever, the most wonderful; the most fantastic place, I'm sure.

It's...

HUUUUUUUUDGE!

Big League...
86866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M / WA
Offline
Posted 2/18/17 , edited 2/18/17
Two groups of people have no credibility in regards to Trump: 1. Those who say he can do no wrong 2. Those who claim he can do no right.

Trump won the county vote! http://brilliantmaps.com/2016-county-election-map/

Keep going libs ...you are just guaranteeing ANOTHER electoral ...and maybe even popular, loss in 2 and 4 years; cry some more then, heh heh heh, cry some more.


most men only have one wife henpecking them, poor Trump has thousands ...and the liberal meltdown continues. Griping about translations? How pathetic - and the whole country knows it!

3704 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 2/18/17 , edited 2/18/17

TheGrandAlliance wrote:
It's the greatest place ever, the most wonderful; the most fantastic place, I'm sure.
nope, nope, nope


Don't know why they reported your comment though...
1749 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Azeroth
Offline
Posted 2/18/17 , edited 2/19/17

GooseMcDucks wrote:

Don't know why they reported your comment though...



Same reason they searched my laptop for "Child Pornography" in transit to Japan via YVR in 2008; the same reason they harassed me once again in 2016.

'dem Canadians are evil......
48392 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 2/18/17 , edited 2/19/17




Same reason they searched my laptop for "Child Pornography" in transit to Japan via YVR in 2008; the same reason they harassed me once again in 2016.

'dem Canadians are evil......


Hmm, I've flown internationally through YVR a few times. Twice to Japan, and they never searched my laptop or any other device for anything. I think that says more about you personally than Canada my friend.
1749 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Azeroth
Offline
Posted 2/18/17 , edited 2/19/17

rawratl wrote:

Hmm, I've flown internationally through YVR a few times. Twice to Japan, and they never searched my laptop or any other device for anything. I think that says more about you personally than Canada my friend.


You were probably on business I presume, right? Because I said I was unemployed at the time, yet going to spend lots of $$$ in Japan, they didn't believe it. Not that I didn't actually have money mind u; just show them my Travelers Checks, they assume I was a criminal or something.

With no evidence or probable cause, of course. They were looking for any excuse to arrest me. And I wasn't even trying to stay in their pathetic little country, either. I call that discrimination.

Even if Air Canada is cheaper in the future, me not doing that again. Ur puny country gets what it deserves...
Posted 2/18/17 , edited 2/19/17
- These Canadians sure take a interest in Trump lol, I can clearly understand him perhaps
- it is their education system is lacking.
48392 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 2/18/17




You were probably on business I presume, right? Because I said I was unemployed at the time, yet going to spend lots of $$$ in Japan, they didn't believe it. Not that I didn't actually have money mind u; just show them my Travelers Checks, they assume I was a criminal or something.

With no evidence or probable cause, of course. They were looking for any excuse to arrest me. And I wasn't even trying to stay in their pathetic little country, either. I call that discrimination.

Even if Air Canada is cheaper in the future, me not doing that again. Ur puny country gets what it deserves...


Both actually, of the 6 times I've flown through YVR it's been a mix of business and leisure. I'm actually American, but I hardly doubt the Canadians will be too upset that you don't like Air Canada. Also Vancouver is beautiful, along with most of Canada. I guess you must not be the outdoorsy type.


MysteryMiss wrote:

- These Canadians sure take a interest in Trump lol, I can clearly understand him perhaps
- it is their education system is lacking.


Given your generally terrible usage of the English language, it is hard not to see that statement as ironic.
Posted 2/18/17 , edited 2/18/17
I'm pretty sure that the translators' issue demonstrates the vast differences between Japanese and English. Proper English is likely what they're prepared for, but dialect and whatnot seems to have tripped them up. Kind of like someone who's learned "proper" Japanese being surprised with the Kansai dialect. Between Japanese and English, plenty gets lost in translation, and it can be very difficult to try and bridge that gap. I reference the famous "people die when they are killed" line from Fate/stay Night. Trump's very, very NYC manner of speaking isn't making it easy for them. How he speaks is hardly unique; just challenging for Japanese translators lacking in experience. Just imagine them trying to tackle Creole...
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.