First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply When the world ends, why do the crazies and the inhumane come out?
47137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 2/18/17 , edited 2/18/17
So, when the world goes through some apocalyptic hell, why do the crazies and the inhumane come out of hiding?

I mean I can understand the crazy part but the inhumane part escapes me. I understand that a person's mentality can only deal with so much when there's terror thus turning them crazy. But why turn evil in an apocalyptic world? Hell, even the crazies can later become evil. But I'm talking about regularly sane people that are out for blood for no reason. Although, I guess that isn't quite sane either. This is mainly asking why do the inhumane come out.


Proper Title Correction: when the world goes through some apocalyptic hell, why do the inhumane come out of hiding?


I'm just trying to understand something because I'm working on a story.


What are your thoughts?
2022 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M
Offline
Posted 2/18/17
Maybe the end of the world caused them to became what they are in the apocalyptic state. I mean it is the end of the world. What they do will only have true effect on them when they die and (wether or not God exists) if they will go to heaven.
5503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 2/18/17
I just woke up
4839 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/18/17 , edited 2/19/17
More than likely has to do with "lack of order." Because there would be no laws, law enforcers or law representatives, there's not "structure" to a society. I believe it's more of a theory of what could happen. But, I dunno, cause chaos could still break even though laws exist.

Edit: I guess the thought of "getting in trouble" no longer exist in a post-apocalyptic world so I guess everyone would just kill and rape each other. i dunno
47137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 2/18/17

fredreload wrote:

I just woke up


And your point?
5503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 2/18/17

qualeshia3 wrote:


fredreload wrote:

I just woke up


And your point?


Well do you fight crazy with crazy and the inhumane with inhumane? I think humanity needs it in order to fight back
47137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 2/18/17

fredreload wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:


fredreload wrote:

I just woke up


And your point?


Well do you fight crazy with crazy and the inhumane with inhumane? I think humanity needs it in order to fight back


Alright.
14964 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/19/17
Perhaps they're showing whats really behind it all.
6744 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
∞ / AI / Cyberspace
Offline
Posted 2/19/17
Because it wouldn't be as appealing otherwise.
3258 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Bent Reality
Offline
Posted 2/19/17
When the world is thrown into disarray and essentially ends as we know it, naturally the government and other powerful groups won't have any more power. The inhumane people can do as they please when it's like this, unlike before the world crumbles. It's a toss up between if they're evil because they want power/influence in a situation like this, or if they're bad people at heart and wanted to do evil stuff before the world ends, but couldn't because they'd be arrested, executed, etc. Crazy people, are well, crazy. When humanity is at it's end I imagine it's difficult to stay sane when depending on how it might be ending.
Either way it depends on the setting of the story. If the world is ending because of something like zombies, inhumane people can defend themselves and do as they please. The first type of evil person can easily rally survivors and create an evil group that kills everything, other survivors included. The second type can hide away somewhere and build a base where they can do whatever they want. On the other hand if the world is ending because of something that can't be defended against like the wrath of Poseidon or something, then it's harder to do because unless the evil person can't be killed for some reason then they'd probably die like everyone else.
I spent way too long typing this and need to catch up on this week's anime
tl;dr: No authority or rules? No reason to be nice when there's power/(insert motive) to be had!
1906 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / F / Corvallis, OR
Offline
Posted 2/19/17
I think one point you could get at is that there is a difference between 'moral vs. immoral' and 'legal vs. illegal'. In a post-apocalyptic world, you are likely to lack the latter. What you are left with (morality) is up to the individual and can be shaped by many, many different variables (aka, life experiences).
35896 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 2/19/17 , edited 2/19/17
There are basically two schools of thought on this:

First is that humans are inherently good and that evil behavior is an abnormality or something that's learned. Honestly, I don't buy into it much. There's no creature so inherently selfish as an infant. Don't get me wrong, they need to be, but that doesn't change the fact that concepts like "kindness," or "sharing," or not being the center of the universe appear to be learned ones. (Which would make most politicians slow learners, I suppose.)

The second is that humans are inherently evil and that society acts to restrain our violent and selfish nature.

Ultimately, whether it's learned or intrinsic, many of us are tribal creatures; fearing the great Other - other countries, other political groups, other religions, other skin tones, etc. With the collapse of society the 'tribe' shrinks: Without a country, your 'tribe' of fellow countrymen become Others to be feared and distrusted.

The more complete the destruction of society, the smaller the 'tribe' becomes until, at its most extreme, you revert to your base nature and everyone becomes an Other you hold no empathy towards.

This is, naturally, the more appealing choice when writing a story about the apocalypse. If the collapse of society didn't result in lots of conflict then it wouldn't make for a very interesting read.
15668 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / Kuto-ko Tokyo Japan
Offline
Posted 2/19/17
Oh I can't imagine apocalypse will come soon.
And I don't know what to say. May be I will get ready to fight if needed.
Posted 2/19/17 , edited 2/19/17
Mabe op doesn't notice until they're caught in a bad situation.
Or it could be that the sudden activity of these undesirables is the cause of the apocalypse and not the other way around.
24144 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / United States, DE
Offline
Posted 2/19/17
I think the craziest ones will reveal themselves at the first sign of 'the end'. It also may depend on the nature of the apacolypse, but I'm sure there are more than enough insane people who will jump into action when that time comes.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.