First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Which anime/manga should be adapted into a live action TV series?
5246 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/19/17 , edited 2/19/17
In the past, there have been live action adaptations of both anime and manga. These either ranged from terrible to great. Some in Japan, S. Korea, and even the US. However, I am talking about adapting anime/ manga into TV shows for the US.

When I mean TV show, I mean the kind of shows that are on channels like HBO, FX, AMC, Showtime, and even Cinemax. Not stuff from ABC, NBC, CBS, MTV, or the CW. That goes for Cartoon Network, Disney Channel, and Nickelodeon as well. The shows from the premium channels (that includes AMC and FX) tend to have 8-13 episodes seasons, each episode is an hour. Each channel has their own qualities and style of programming. Also, as of now, the quality of television has actually outweighed films in terms of story telling. Even the Netflix Marvel shows are better than the films they spun off from.

As some of you have heard, SAO is being adapted into a live action TV series, courtesy of Skydance Television. While I for one do not enjoy SAO, there are people out there who do. I do not know if they care for this news or not. SAO was not the only one. A few years ago, Naoki Urasawa's Monster was being adapted into a live action series on HBO, helmed by Guillemo Del Toro (director of Hellboy and Pacific Rim). Obviously, those plans fell through, but it would have most likely have been great if it had been made. More and more adaptations will be made. Many of them won't be 100% faithful to the source material, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

You see, an adaptation doesn't have to be 100% faithful to the source material, it just has to be a good show. Many creators have said this. They are usually fine with changes just as long as the final product is a good show/ movie.

That being said, what anime/ manga do you think should be adapted into a television show in the US?
26070 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Various
Online
Posted 2/20/17
Durarara!!

Me and a friend had an idea about this years ago. Durarara!!, set in Brooklyn, with a mostly new story but a similar feel and concept. And then they could also make other ones with other cities around the world that have a similar feel to Brooklyn or Ikebukuro...
10497 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / SW Ontario, Canada
Offline
Posted 2/20/17
Not that the anime is lacking, but a live action Rakugo could be excellent if in the right hands.
Posted 2/20/17
Maybe Clannad or something.
eldos1 
82231 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37
Online
Posted 2/20/17
Black Lagoon. It would be awesome if they could get a real international cast. That part of the world is starting to heat up again.
5246 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/20/17 , edited 2/20/17

LavenderMintRose wrote:

Durarara!!

Me and a friend had an idea about this years ago. Durarara!!, set in Brooklyn, with a mostly new story but a similar feel and concept. And then they could also make other ones with other cities around the world that have a similar feel to Brooklyn or Ikebukuro...


That sounds interesting. Setting it in Brooklyn makes a lot of sense.

Can you expand on that idea?
5246 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/20/17

SirBacon12 wrote:

Maybe Clannad or something.


Why Clannad?
8775 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Palm Coast, Florida
Offline
Posted 2/20/17
Hellsing Ultimate, since it could easily be done. Would probably trigger a lot of people though, since they would have to remake the uniforms Millennium wears and when they attack London.
31398 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Lichfield, UK
Offline
Posted 2/20/17
None. Okay maybe not none, but most shouldn't be. I imagine Monster could be made into something really good, but then again, Monster is already really good, so there's no need.
Posted 2/20/17

PsychoGamer8229 wrote:


SirBacon12 wrote:

Maybe Clannad or something.


Why Clannad?


Because it is really good and I feel that it would lend itself to an adaptation more easily than action anime would.
31398 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Lichfield, UK
Offline
Posted 2/20/17 , edited 2/20/17

SirBacon12 wrote:


Because it is really good and I feel that it would lend itself to an adaptation more easily than action anime would.



See I personally think capturing the essence of Clannad would be really hard in live action. For one thing the emotional impact in many of the scenes is in part tied to the exaggerated features of the characters. Some of the ways the characters emote is very important to the emotional punch of many scenes, and getting that just right in live action would be a tall order indeed (without making the actors look a bit absurd). Secondly, I just don't think the supernatural elements (the secondary world with the girl and the robot for example) would neccessarily translate well into live action without looking a bit jarring.
70013 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 2/20/17
I'm not really interested in live action stuff, but of all the shows that could definitely use one, it's Psycho-Pass. After all, that show is inspired by several live-action flicks with Minority Report being the most notable one. If it does happen, it will be interesting to see how what happens when a person is shot by the Dominator as it would be really tough to get them to swell up and explode without making it too violent. Anyway, I certainly think it could work with Psycho-Pass.
Posted 2/20/17

hickey1992 wrote:


SirBacon12 wrote:


Because it is really good and I feel that it would lend itself to an adaptation more easily than action anime would.



See I personally think capturing the essence of Clannad would be really hard in live action. For one thing the emotional impact in many of the scenes is in part tied to the exaggerated features of the characters. Some of the ways the characters emote is very important to the emotional punch of many scenes, and getting that just right in live action would be a tall order indeed (without making the actors look a bit absurd). Secondly, I just don't think the supernatural elements (the secondary world with the girl and the robot for example) would neccessarily translate well into live action without looking a bit jarring.


Yeah you could be right. I don't know, I don't really think there are very many anime that would really translate over to live-action very well. I was thinking slice of life, but now that I think about it, that probably wouldn't work very well either.
31398 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Lichfield, UK
Offline
Posted 2/20/17

SirBacon12 wrote:


Yeah you could be right. I don't know, I don't really think there are very many anime that would really translate over to live-action very well. I was thinking slice of life, but now that I think about it, that probably wouldn't work very well either.


I wouldn't say that no slice of life shows would work, because they are probably the ones which would transition most smoothly to live action. Just perhaps not Clannad specifically. After all, Clannad is an anime based off of a visual novel, with heavily stylised character models and a supernatural twist. I think more "down to earth" slice of life shows might work. The only hurdles I can see for a general slice of life show is maybe the blushes? (at least with romantically inclined shows). After all, you can't get a real person to blush that hard.
5246 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/20/17

Bakaneer wrote:

I'm not really interested in live action stuff, but of all the shows that could definitely use one, it's Psycho-Pass. After all, that show is inspired by several live-action flicks with Minority Report being the most notable one. If it does happen, it will be interesting to see how what happens when a person is shot by the Dominator as it would be really tough to get them to swell up and explode without making it too violent. Anyway, I certainly think it could work with Psycho-Pass.


That's a good choice. If i may ask, what channel do you think it could be on?
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.