First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Evidence of Japanese Nationalism
555 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Perth, Scotland
Offline
Posted 2/21/17 , edited 2/21/17
People have to realise that other people, regardless of race, religion, nationality and sexual orientation, are human just like them...
5367 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / The Cat Empire
Offline
Posted 2/21/17 , edited 2/21/17

fluffytailz3000 wrote:

People have to realise that other people, regardless of race, religion, nationality and sexual orientation, are human just like them...


15750 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 2/21/17 , edited 2/21/17
Did anyone think that Japan wasn't xenophobic? I thought everyone knew they were (and nobody really touts it as a good thing).
119178 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 2/21/17 , edited 2/21/17

TheGrandAlliance wrote:

lorreen wrote:
However, I do ask that you keep your tone respectful, and avoid being inflammatory. At least one of your recent posts comes across as snarky and condescending. Please put some effort into avoiding that in your future replies.


I have no idea what you are talking about, plz cite. Doing my best to juggle this otherwise hot topic, without ire of others.


Phrases that you used that lean that way were:

LoL, o no, I see your "article"


But u don't live in Seattle where the issue is relevant, so not like u would understand.


Thought as much. Try using real news website next time


And in a post you made after I'd posted:

I suggest if you want to school yourself on immigration policies, instead of citing fake news


You're not the only one who does it--it's easy to fall into because that's often the sort of thing that comes first to mind when we're feeling a bit peeved--but basically everyone should consider what kind of atmosphere they are contributing to when they do.

For example,

lorreen wrote:
Right. Like you think everyone reading this thread will know that in your original title and with this remark you are referring to your slightly earlier thread (which was closed), because of course everyone read that, right?


She could have simply said: "That was a kind of confusing way to start the thread since not everyone reading it will have seen your slightly earlier thread about that."

I've scolded her about that and advised her to practice what she preaches.
36432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / F / Seireitei, Soul S...
Online
Posted 2/21/17
How dare you use the tagline phrase from one of my all time favorite shows for the GIF for your opening post for this thread.... The X-Files may have been about finding out the truth and bringing it to light, but not in the way that you're doing it.
1543 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 2/21/17 , edited 2/22/17

TheGrandAlliance wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:

Putting aside how needlessly inflammatory you're clearly trying to be, what do you exactly want people to conclude from the information you're presenting? Even if everyone bought into your crap, what would your endgame even be? Even if I were to fall for your shit I wouldn't all of a sudden be like "Oh, well I thought Trump was a racist, but now that I've seen someone who isn't Trump is a racist I guess Trump's not a racist." Do you have any goal with this besides desperate deflection?


It is a double standard. If Trump says something, it's "racist". When entire other countries (not just 1 man) actually do something racist; like Japan, then its somehow okay. Because we don't hate Japan, only Trump.

There is "racism", and then there is "real racism". But yet, anti-Trump people like to deny the truth.


So because racism exist in another country, we shouldn't care that Trump is a racist asshole? Foolproof logic there...

9529 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / The Void
Offline
Posted 2/21/17 , edited 2/22/17
The Japanese have been known as one of the most xenophobic cultures for years, though. (Well actually, the majority of Asian cultures are this way)

Most people don't care as long as they can "bate" to their favorite 13 year-old waifu.
Ejanss 
17017 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/21/17 , edited 2/22/17

TheGrandAlliance wrote:

...because apparently monkeys were not enough for you...


http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/02/21/national/japan-zoo-culls-monkeys-carrying-invasive-genes/

Japan zoo culls monkeys carrying ‘invasive’ genes

A zoo in the city of Futtsu, Chiba Prefecture, has culled 57 native snow monkeys by lethal injection after finding that they carried genes of an “invasive alien species,” officials said Tuesday.


If that's supposed to be some headline-button "symbol" of "racism" for the link-desperate, ask the Australians about "Invasive species" sometime. They'll tell you what it means.

Sorry, no conspiracy/hypocrisy/hyperdefensive "Trump isn't racist because other people are, so there!"-whatever here. Nice....well, no, it wasn't even that good a try.
Posted 2/22/17 , edited 2/22/17
As someone who likely has some agreement with you on the state of "The Left" right now, you need to do better. Muddying the waters isn't an argument.

Rumors of Trump's racism are greatly exaggerated. But pointing out that Person B is a racist does not mean that Person A isn't. In fact, I'd say the implication of this thread is rather against your point. Your rhetoric actually weakens your stance. I reckon you don't think Trump is a racist, but the implication is that "yes, Trump might be racist, but so is Japan. Therefore, you shouldn't care, because Japan is awesome." Japan, America, and for that matter, Trump, are not uniformly awesome. One might conceivably like a particular thing about a person without liking other things about them. I reckon I could quite easily have a beer with Neo-Nazis, provided the 'Jew Problem' never comes up. And, in fact, depending on their temperament, we might very well have a cordial conversation about even that. See Hitchens interview with John Metzger.

Up your game man. You can do better. Probably. Maybe. It's up to you.
1795 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Azeroth
Offline
Posted 2/22/17 , edited 2/22/17

theYchromosome wrote:

As someone who likely has some agreement with you on the state of "The Left" right now, you need to do better. Muddying the waters isn't an argument.

Up your game man. You can do better. Probably. Maybe. It's up to you.



Indeed, but you are mistaken, as I already have...

As what I am trying to do; and I admit this requires high level thinking and perhaps /walloftext, is show how Democrats mock (real) racism by falsely accusing their rivals thereof. If they were truely on a crusade to end racism, they would go after everyone.

The point is, in reality, liberals do not really think Trump is racist. This isn't a "Japan is racist, and so is Trump" argument as some of you are suggesting. That is precisely the "low-level thinking" that got us into this mess in the first place. What Democrats are doing is using what is called "Identity Politics", something they always do, to create a false equivalence.

They don't want immigration laws enforced, not because it is "racist", but because they want the "Mexicans" to vote for them. They don't want to deal with Black/Black crime, because they don't want to potentially offend the "African" vote. Similarly, they accuse their political opponents of anything, in order to drive demographics wedges to them. In actuality, the Democrats are the true racists; by painting a broad brush charging "White People" as all "inherently racist", they are doing what they so accuse others of doing therefore.


So, the point using Japan specifically here, as this is Anime site of course, is to shed light on this very false "Identity Politics" by demonstrating the liberal hypocrisy. If they were truely fighting for "racial justice", they would not tolerate it anywhere. Yet, the only "justice" they ever seek is from Republicans.

Which therefore logically conclude 1/2 things, either that Trump only racist (political leader) on the planet, or that crusade against racism isn't their real objective. You cannot be "for racism" in Japan, yet "against it" in America.

Again, I am NOT stating Trump/Japan are equally racist. Such is low-level thinking. What I am saying, is peoples reactions to each portray a vastly contradicting definition of racism; which leads one to wonder what the true meaning is thereof.


I suggest you think about it for awhile, it may make sense with time. Once you get it, "everything will make sense" when it comes to the American political environment. Kinda like, "The Meaning of Life", but less so. If you need more clarifications, perhaps I can provide such, it is so..
1795 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Azeroth
Offline
Posted 2/22/17 , edited 2/22/17

lorreen wrote:
For example,

lorreen wrote:
Right. Like you think everyone reading this thread will know that in your original title and with this remark you are referring to your slightly earlier thread (which was closed), because of course everyone read that, right?


She could have simply said: "That was a kind of confusing way to start the thread since not everyone reading it will have seen your slightly earlier thread about that."

I've scolded her about that and advised her to practice what she preaches.



Lorreen, I don't want to sound like I am "telling you how to do your job" or anything; because you're great/fantastic, the best ever mod ever of course, but perhaps you should relax a bit. I did not have any problems with your post, so no need to hate on yourself. If people get so hypersenstive to every perceived petty charge against them, we will be paralyzed in fear of condescension. Thus, more violence will inevitably result, world comes to an end, bad things shall be so...

In either case, beer can be helpful. But not your local "Sam Adams", because in 2009 or so they nerfed the hell out of the taste in order to make it "smooth". Ya, ya mean *cheaper. Boston....


But I digress...
Posted 2/22/17 , edited 2/22/17

TheGrandAlliance wrote:

Indeed, but you are mistaken, as I already have...

As what I am trying to do; and I admit this requires high level thinking and perhaps /walloftext, is show how Democrats mock (real) racism by falsely accusing their rivals thereof. If they were truely on a crusade to end racism, they would go after everyone.

The point is, in reality, liberals do not really think Trump is racist. This isn't a "Japan is racist, and so is Trump" argument as some of you are suggesting. That is precisely the "low-level thinking" that got us into this mess in the first place. What Democrats are doing is using what is called "Identity Politics", something they always do, to create a false equivalence.

They don't want immigration laws enforced, not because it is "racist", but because they want the "Mexicans" to vote for them. They don't want to deal with Black/Black crime, because they don't want to potentially offend the "African" vote. Similarly, they accuse their political opponents of anything, in order to drive demographics wedges to them. In actuality, the Democrats are the true racists; by painting a broad brush charging "White People" as all "inherently racist", they are doing what they so accuse others of doing therefore.


So, the point using Japan specifically here, as this is Anime site of course, is to shed light on this very false "Identity Politics" by demonstrating the liberal hypocrisy. If they were truely fighting for "racial justice", they would not tolerate it anywhere. Yet, the only "justice" they ever seek is from Republicans.

Which therefore logically conclude 1/2 things, either that Trump only racist (political leader) on the planet, or that crusade against racism isn't their real objective. You cannot be "for racism" in Japan, yet "against it" in America.

Again, I am NOT stating Trump/Japan are equally racist. Such is low-level thinking. What I am saying, is peoples reactions to each portray a vastly contradicting definition of racism; which leads one to wonder what the true meaning is thereof.


I suggest you think about it for awhile, it may make sense with time. Once you get it, "everything will make sense" when it comes to the American political environment. Kinda like, "The Meaning of Life", but less so. If you need more clarifications, perhaps I can provide such, it is so..


Here is your argument as I see it, then: The Left is against racism. Those that are against racism denounce it. Japan (or, at least, parts of it) is racist. The Left doesn't denounce Japan. Therefore, the left is not against racism. Thus, the first assumption is false.

Do I have that right? Because, as I see it, the second assumption seems tenuous to me. For instance, one needs first to know about racism to denounce it. Many people might not be aware that there is racism in Japan. Secondly, people take action with priority. We live in a world with limited time and energy, which means that they must choose which things to do and which not to do. Trump's presidency is more affective of english speakers than, in general, Shinzo Abe's Prime Ministry (Minister-ship?) is. How much time you assign to protestation of each will follow accordingly. One might be against racism in Japan, without having any practical reason to give protest to it.

I don't think anybody here is "for racism" in Japan. Even the people in this thread that are "defending Japan" seem to be saying "let's try to be clear about how much racism there is in Japan." Is there any other reason why people that accuse Trump of racism don't do it for Japan, or is the only possibility the one you've concluded? I don't know, to me, it seems like how, even though I think Saudi Arabia ought take on free market policies, I only ever bitch about it when America doesn't enact free market policies. It doesn't mean that I only "hypocritically" support free market policies. It just means that American policies quite affect me, while Saudi Arabian ones only tangentially affect me. If you try to falsify your claim, I reckon you'll find a lot of very good reasons to be skeptical about what you're saying.

Although, on the other hand, you are right to say that "crusade against racism" isn't (usually) their true objective. Having a well-functioning country is. A racist leader makes such a state less probable.
17453 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M / Verginia
Offline
Posted 2/22/17 , edited 2/22/17
I say good for Japan. Every nation has not only the right but the moral obligation to see to the support and defence of their citizens without begging another nation or economic bloc to do what they should do themselves.

Honestly I was happy to see Japan modify their Constitution so they could deploy their military in their own self interest rather than depending on the US combat forces to defend their interests. Now if we could only get the EU members of NATO to spend that 2% of GDP they are treaty bound to spend lmao
1795 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Azeroth
Offline
Posted 2/23/17 , edited 2/23/17

theYchromosome wrote:

Here is your argument as I see it, then: The Left is against racism. Those that are against racism denounce it. Japan (or, at least, parts of it) is racist. The Left doesn't denounce Japan. Therefore, the left is not against racism. Thus, the first assumption is false.

Do I have that right?


That is not entirely the complete argument; for instance Japan is being used in this thread in relevance to CR users, but to argue your interpretation firstly, it would still stand. Japan/other "first world countries" do things that are racist, whereas the left falsely accuses Trump of a (lessor) form thereof. Japan/others have far stricter immigration policies then Trump, yet they are only outraged by him. Thus, one has to consider "what the definition of racism" actually is.

The real argument perhaps, is that the left claims to know what racism is, they accuses others of racism; when confronted with evidence that negates their definition, denies such, therefore in reality does/are not able to make claims of racism. For instance, if every other country on Earth can enforce immigration control policy but the USA, it means their claims against Trump are deceptive using charges of racism. Unless they consider every country "racist", but then again one can present such a definition in counter.

In other words, "racism is a illusion". What the left believes it to be, and what an "objective reality" can define it as such, are subjective opinions . The left considers Trump's policies "racist", but when examined/compared to other standards such as Japan, they do not measure up. Therefore, to "test" the claim of racism, is subject to one's personal beliefs, and not an absolute reality.

Thusly so, in the end, as to whether "Trump is racist" or not, is not the objective of the left. They only use emotional appeal to dissolve logical argumentation. One cannot be "for and against" racism if one actually holds such an opinion. Finally, because their very definition of racism is illusionary, as it is quite likely that Trump is actually not racist at all.


If the left wants to argue "the degree of racism" of Trump, they must first make such arguement on what makes him racist. Yet instead, they only infer such meaning, as plenty of evidence can dispute such a claim. Finally, they must define "what racism is" before such can take place. Only then can a proper conversation even begin.


theYchromosome wrote:
I don't think anybody here is "for racism" in Japan. Even the people in this thread that are "defending Japan" seem to be saying "let's try to be clear about how much racism there is in Japan.


See below poster.


bernardwheelerjr wrote:

I say good for Japan. Every nation has not only the right but the moral obligation to see to the support and defence of their citizens without begging another nation or economic bloc to do what they should do themselves.



theYchromosome wrote:
Is there any other reason why people that accuse Trump of racism don't do it for Japan, or is the only possibility the one you've concluded?


It is a moral outrage equivalence. If Trump's policies are as bad for humanity as they claim; of a racial bias, they would find all like acts deplorable. Yet they only protest Trump, not anyone else. Saying that "Japan/others don't affect me, so I am ignorant thereof" as you suggest, provides the very proof of false equivalence. If you are "ok", with racism; "Not in my back yard", you are basically lying to yourself. You cannot be "against racism" in USA and "indifferent" to it elsewhere, yet claim moral authority.


Indeed, the "meta" of my argument is not what is/is not racism; or if Trump is racist or not, it is that the implications of racism are being falsely used as a politician narrative. The left doesn't "care" whether he is racist or not; whether racism is even bad thing or not, they only want him defeated. Because one can find the hypocritical nature of their claims to be so, one can question the motivation. If one thinks "Trump will destroy the world", or something of this effect, by only at best marginal claims thereof; yet not consider other actions such as Japan to be "just as troubling", then perhaps in reality their "fear of Trump" is not a "legitimate fear" itself.

In other words, if people like to engage in protest against Trump for "dangerous racist policies", yet have no emotional appeal to true instances of racism, perhaps their anger of Trump is not being motivated by inclinations of racism at all, but something else. The only think he is racist, but of as a false motivation of protest.

How can one be "horrified" by "Trump racism", yet feel nothing/equivalent for actual cases of racism? It is like violence, people think violence "is bad", yet it is glorified elsewhere fiction or reality. How can one be "for violence" and "against violence" simultaneously; unless claims of protest are illusionary.


Indeed, the "meta" is that the perception of "racism" is but a human illusion, one without true definition, and therefore is not the absolute reality of motivation for behaviour. Do people actually "care" Trump is "racist", or simply because he opposes them? If you cannot find simular outrage against your "friends' racism" (such as Japan), perhaps the very idea of racism itself; as defined by liberals in this case, is imaginary.

Such probably requires another /walloftext but perhaps this summary is sufficient for now. A rather complex concept, nevertheless...
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.