First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Post Reply Hate Crime Shooting in Kansas City
48328 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 2/24/17 , edited 2/25/17
I'll start with the links, they all say virtually the same thing but I know how people will complain about the NYTimes.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/24/world/asia/kansas-attack-possible-hate-crime-srinivas-kuchibhotla.html
http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article134801079.html
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_BAR_SHOOTING_KANSAS_ASOL-?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-02-24-17-22-23

In the middle of a crowded bar, Adam Purinton yelled at two Indian men to "get out of my country," witnesses said, then opened fire in an attack that killed one of the men and wounded the other, as well as a third man who tried to help.

Hours later, the 51-year-old former air traffic controller reportedly told a bartender in another town that he needed a place to hide because he had just killed two Middle Eastern men.


A guy named Ian Grillot stood up for the two men, and tried to chase away the shooter but a bullet went through his hand and chest, striking a vertebrae in his neck. He is a real hero, and there are gofundme pages for all three men if you are interested in locating them.

This leaves me with several questions though, as I am half Indian and half white. I grew up in the deep south and I've noticed everywhere I've moved (not just the south) when people find out I have Indian blood in me, their first response is something like "oh you are Middle Eastern/ are you Muslim?"

Is it an educational gap that causes people to think India is in the Middle East, and majority Muslim? Or just plain not caring about demographics in a country so far away? Is there anyone here who will admit to thinking these things? Don't feel ashamed, you are certainly not alone and I understand that at least on the surface Indians can look Middle Eastern to a degree.

I think it would be easy to turn this into a broader political topic about how these people are emboldened by our new administration. I don't care about that so much as I'm just ashamed that things are happening in my country.
11419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 2/24/17 , edited 2/25/17
For fucks sake, India isn't even in the goddamn middle east. Why do so many of these prejudiced retards end up attacking people who aren't even in the groups they're being bigoted against?
35661 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/24/17 , edited 2/25/17

rawratl wrote:
I think it would be easy to turn this into a broader political topic about how these people are emboldened by our new administration. I don't care about that so much as I'm just ashamed that things are happening in my country.


If I recall right the last time something of this nature happened ( some nutjob just randomly murdering an Indian man because he thought they were middle eastern ) it was in the immediate wake of 9/11? Which is a bit of an unsettling commentary as to the fear/anger level whipped up over the course of Trump's campaign.

The key difference here being that at the peak of America's fear and anger, Bush ( yes, that Bush ) still called for reason and tolerance. When people were freaking out that terrorists and the Other(tm) were coming to get them, Bush still said what a president should have in the aftermath and refused to blame an entire group of people for the actions of a few.

I think that is the critical point in all of this. Whereas a president, of either party, would look at the fear mongering and anger stoking then make moves to show, you know, leadership and calm the people. When the talking heads are all telling them the Other(tm) is out to kill them and take their jobs and what not; the president, regardless of party, has tried to calm things down.

Trump, conversely, has looked at the situation and gone "Oh yeah, they're TOTALLY out to kill you and take your jobs and set your family on fire. Every scary thing you hear on TV and the internet is totally true."



35661 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/24/17 , edited 2/25/17

octorockandroll wrote:
For fucks sake, India isn't even in the goddamn middle east. Why do so many of these prejudiced retards end up attacking people who aren't even in the groups they're being bigoted against?


Well, if you're the type of person that would actually shoot someone at random over their skin colour then flee to an Applebee's and tell them about it, I doubt geography is part of your skill set. ><

Banned
21752 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / In
Offline
Posted 2/24/17 , edited 2/25/17
Someone is going to come in here and say we can't blame Trump for this

and we all know who it's going to be
1146 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/24/17 , edited 2/25/17

rawratl wrote:
Is it an educational gap that causes people to think India is in the Middle East, and majority Muslim? Or just plain not caring about demographics in a country so far away?


Both? I've met quite a few southern racists and none of them were men of letters that's for damn sure.

I can only see this getting worse unfortunately. It's a little disturbing but that's the world we live in I guess.
48328 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 2/24/17 , edited 2/25/17


runec wrote:
--snip--


Yeah I do remember a few incidents involving Indians in those days. My father is very dark, even by Indian standards and it was strange to see the post 9/11 racism shift. Mind you, people were always too polite to be upfront since he was a respected doctor but before 9/11 he just a "n*****" who dared to marry a blonde white woman. After 9/11 he was no longer black, but was all of the sudden some type of Middle Eastern Muslim man, to people we had gone to church with even. There were other actual Muslim families who had lived in that town for generations who had off-duty police officers sleeping in pickup trucks in front of their houses so they could monitor them for terrorist activities. I see a lot of that same panic happening now.
11419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 2/24/17 , edited 2/25/17

uncletim wrote:

Someone is going to come in here and say we can't blame Trump for this

and we all know who it's going to be


I don't blame Trump for this.


But they're still both pieces of shit.
Banned
21752 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / In
Offline
Posted 2/24/17 , edited 2/25/17

octorockandroll wrote:


uncletim wrote:

Someone is going to come in here and say we can't blame Trump for this

and we all know who it's going to be


I don't blame Trump for this.


But they're still both pieces of shit.


I don't directly blame him either but I do think he is emboldening fucltards like this waste of a sperm cell
35896 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 2/24/17
Technically, Kansas City is in the Midwest.

Were the Indian men Sikhs? They do seem to get mistaken for Muslims with some regularity. Not sure why you'd expect to find Muslims (or Sikhs) in a bar though.. Both religions prohibit alcohol as I recall.
48328 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 2/24/17 , edited 2/25/17

clusters wrote:

Both? I've met quite a few southern racists and none of them were men of letters that's for damn sure.

I can only see this getting worse unfortunately. It's a little disturbing but that's the world we live in I guess.


What confuses me most is I've had people that I know were extremely intelligent ask me that, not just your typical southern racist. Just a few weeks ago I was out with my girlfriend and her best friend with her husband. He has a doctorate in biomedical engineering but upon hearing that Im half Indian he said "ahh so can you eat pork? Are you Muslim?" I didn't want to be a dick so I just said I eat what I want.
48328 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 2/24/17 , edited 2/25/17

iriomote wrote:

Technically, Kansas City is in the Midwest.

Were the Indian men Sikhs? They do seem to get mistaken for Muslims with some regularity. Not sure why you'd expect to find Muslims (or Sikhs) in a bar though.. Both religions prohibit alcohol as I recall.


I believe I read in another article that they were Hindu, so I doubt they were wearing turbans or anything. I think this man went purely off skin color and their "strange" accents.
Posted 2/24/17
If that cuck that tried to save them had a gun he wouldn't have gotten shot up so bad.
Banned
21752 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / In
Offline
Posted 2/24/17 , edited 2/24/17

Amyas_Leigh wrote:

If that cuck that tried to save them had a gun he wouldn't have gotten shot up so bad.


and if te fucktard didn't have a gun they wouldn't been shot at all


btw kind of called it he said something just as stupid
11419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 2/24/17 , edited 2/25/17

Amyas_Leigh wrote:

If that cuck that tried to save them had a gun he wouldn't have gotten shot up so bad.


Wow.

Fucking wow.

Insulting a person for trying to prevent murder. I don't even have the words to describe that. I seriously feel like I should give you a medal or something. I've seen some low, low shit in my life and every time I think I've seen or heard the worst from somebody, there's always someone like you ready to pop out of whatever hole you stay in.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.