First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply What's wrong with Suicide?
24144 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / United States, DE
Offline
Posted 2/27/17 , edited 3/12/17

fluffytailz3000 wrote:

It ends your life, and ruins your loved ones' too. Nough said.


Also this ^
47137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 2/27/17
I would share my opinion but people might comment on it. So, no.
3950 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 2/27/17

TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:


omlettespammer

dang was ment to be an image here won't come up



PM it to me then


it was just the "that's the joke" meme if you've seen it. not really worth looking for it again though
24144 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / United States, DE
Offline
Posted 2/27/17 , edited 3/12/17

TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:


omlettespammer wrote:
oh god red flags everybody!


I'm just asking a question


fluffytailz3000 wrote:

It ends your life, and ruins your loved ones' too. Nough said.


Actually that's not enough said. If these loved ones don't appreciate you than why should you do the same for them? That's more so a hypothetical. But shouldn't you also be allowed to do what you want with your body?

I hear a lot of people bring up the idea that it's selfish or it hurts your loved ones to commit suicide however I don't really understand this argument because when people don't want you to kill yourself they generally don't want it to happen so that they don't feel bad emotionally. In other words, they're doing it for their own motives and their own reasons, the difference is that it's usually just a larger percentage of people sharing the opinion rather than just one person.

For instance if a friend tells you not to kill yourself, they are most likely doing it from a place of emotional dependence and personal need. They might talk all day about how they are doing this for you, but at the very least what makes them care in the first place is their own motives and emotions. It's still their own desire, even if other people you know hold that same value. So how is that any different?


Again, as an example, let's pretend a loved one of yours decided to commit suicide. You never saw it coming, didn't know they were even considering it, they seemed happy. Now ask yourself again: "Why is suicide wrong?"

If your lover killed them self in this way, would you truly be happy, because it was 'thier decision' and it is what 'they truly wanted'? If you can answer yes to that, there is a much deeper issue here than just freedom to do what you want with your own life.

424 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Florida, USA
Offline
Posted 2/27/17

qualeshia3 wrote:

I would share my opinion but people might comment on it. So, no.


Too late.
11696 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M
Offline
Posted 2/27/17 , edited 2/27/17

YayForKittens
Again, as an example, let's pretend a loved one of yours decided to commit suicide. You never saw it coming, didn't know they were even considering it, they seemed happy. Now ask yourself again: "Why is suicide wrong?"

If your lover killed them self in this way, would you truly be happy, because it was 'thier decision' and it is what 'they truly wanted'? If you can answer yes to that, there is a much deeper issue here than just freedom to do what you want with your own life.



Of course I wouldn't be happy. Why would I be happy about it? But it's their decision.

I also find a problem with your example earlier. You already have more people that care about you than a lot of suicidal people, in fact many suicidal people are so because they have little to no people that care about them. So you're riding entirely on that when the fact is that some of us are not so lucky as to have people that care about us.

Your argument also makes no sense because you're saying that killing yourself with ruin the lives of your loved ones. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you're implying that it does this by making them depressed. Well, depressed people who commit suicide commit suicide BECAUSE they're depressed, so if them killing themselves ruins the lives of others by giving them depression, then isn't that just admitting that the suicide victim's life was ruined in the first place?

And before you say "Well you can't come back from a family loss but you can come back from (insert assumed problems here)" that's not at all true. Anyone can come back from the loss of a family member, it's all about how you perceive it. I'm not saying I want people to be hurt, i'd never want that. But hypothetically I just don't think this has any merit other than what it means to the person in question.
11696 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M
Offline
Posted 2/27/17

qualeshia3 wrote:

I would share my opinion but people might comment on it. So, no.


I mean it's not like my opinion on this topic aren't controversial or at least a little different.

Please, share. I'd love to hear what you have to say even if i don't agree with it
24144 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / United States, DE
Offline
Posted 2/27/17 , edited 3/12/17

TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:


YayForKittens
Again, as an example, let's pretend a loved one of yours decided to commit suicide. You never saw it coming, didn't know they were even considering it, they seemed happy. Now ask yourself again: "Why is suicide wrong?"

If your lover killed them self in this way, would you truly be happy, because it was 'thier decision' and it is what 'they truly wanted'? If you can answer yes to that, there is a much deeper issue here than just freedom to do what you want with your own life.



Of course I wouldn't be happy. Why would I be happy about it? But it's their decision.

I also find a problem with your example earlier. You already have more people that care about you than a lot of suicidal people, in fact many suicidal people are so because they have little to no people that care about them. So you're riding entirely on that when the fact is that some of us are not so lucky as to have people that care about us.

Your argument also makes no sense because you're saying that killing yourself with ruin the lives of your loved ones. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you're implying that it does this by making them depressed. Well, depressed people who commit suicide commit suicide BECAUSE they're depressed, so if them killing themselves ruins the lives of others by giving them depression, then isn't that just admitting that the suicide victim's life was ruined in the first place?


So it is okay to make people you love also want to kill themselves just because you've decided to end it? I'm seriously trying to understand that mindset and failing. All I can see is complete lack of empathy.
1330 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Colorado
Offline
Posted 2/27/17


I refer you to my post and the domino effect/the protagonist mindset of the depressed.
11696 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M
Offline
Posted 2/27/17

YayForKittens

So it is okay to make people you love also want to kill themselves just because you've decided to end it? I'm seriously trying to understand that mindset and failing. All I can see is complete lack of empathy.


I edited my comment so you might want to check that out.

And if someone killing themselves makes other people suicidal then can't you just say to that person "Hey don't kill yourself because you'll hurt other people"???? It's kind of an argument that goes into an infinite downward spiral. If someone becomes depressed because someone killed themselves than apparently by your logic you just tell them "Hay this might hurt this person or that person" and then they don't do it.

I mean that's your own logic not mine.

A lack of empathy? Not at all. I would never do something to hurt a loved one, but I don't see how doing what you want with your body is selfish.
11696 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M
Offline
Posted 2/27/17

CSGhost
I refer you to my post and the domino effect/the protagonist mindset of the depressed.


I appreciate your post a lot and i'm sorry you had to go through that.

Though, you and her are basically saying the same thing. I feel my replies are fairly adequate tbh. Just opinion though
47137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 2/27/17

BirdOfFlocks wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:

I would share my opinion but people might comment on it. So, no.


Too late.







TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:

I would share my opinion but people might comment on it. So, no.


I mean it's not like my opinion on this topic aren't controversial or at least a little different.

Please, share. I'd love to hear what you have to say even if i don't agree with it



It's fine I rather not. Sorry for wasting your time.
Posted 2/27/17
It's selfish and a cop out. Just because life gets a little tough, people decide it's okay to take their life? Why not grow and learn from experiences, move on, change, and become a better person for it? It's easier said than done, I know...but at least the person made an attempt instead of giving into despair, hate, self-loathing, etc.

That's just my two cents though. Take it with a grain of salt if you wish.
11696 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M
Offline
Posted 2/27/17

qualeshia3

It's fine I rather not. Sorry for wasting your time.


It's fine I just really want to know your opinion But if you don't want to that's cool to i guess
1330 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Colorado
Offline
Posted 2/27/17

TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:


CSGhost
I refer you to my post and the domino effect/the protagonist mindset of the depressed.


I appreciate your post a lot and i'm sorry you had to go through that.

Though, you and her are basically saying the same thing. I feel my replies are fairly adequate tbh. Just opinion though


I just find that a lot of your responses or criticisms(calling them that for the sake of ease) are somewhat contradictory, like

"A lack of empathy? Not at all. I would never do something to hurt a loved one, but I don't see how doing what you want with your body is selfish."

You seem to be set on the idea that because it's just the individual; it's summed up at that- where we're saying that those individual choices can have ramifications for more than the one person.

Saying that they initially had depression and then their suicide could cause more depression which would then lead to another suicide- thus showing that the initial person was in an equal amount of pain comes off like saying the 'protagonist' of the story was the one suffering all along, and since it's their choice for them it's the only one that mattered for them. It's a logical error, a feedback loop.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.