First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply What's wrong with Suicide?
24116 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / United States, DE
Offline
Posted 2/27/17 , edited 3/12/17

TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:


YayForKittens

So it is okay to make people you love also want to kill themselves just because you've decided to end it? I'm seriously trying to understand that mindset and failing. All I can see is complete lack of empathy.


I edited my comment so you might want to check that out.

And if someone killing themselves makes other people suicidal then can't you just say to that person "Hey don't kill yourself because you'll hurt other people"???? It's kind of an argument that goes into an infinite downward spiral. If someone becomes depressed because someone killed themselves than apparently by your logic you just tell them "Hay this might hurt this person or that person" and then they don't do it.

I mean that's your own logic not mine.

A lack of empathy? Not at all. I would never do something to hurt a loved one, but I don't see how doing what you want with your body is selfish.


I think our views on this subject are much too different and we are just gonna have to agree to disagree on this. I can't see where you're coming from, as someone who has both struggled with suicidal thoughts, and has known people close to me going through that. I am trying but really just can't see how it can ever be justified.

You have a different opinion and I'm just gonna roll with that.
11519 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M
Offline
Posted 2/27/17

CSGhost

I just find that a lot of your responses or criticisms(calling them that for the sake of ease) are somewhat contradictory, like

"A lack of empathy? Not at all. I would never do something to hurt a loved one, but I don't see how doing what you want with your body is selfish."

You seem to be set on the idea that because it's just the individual; it's summed up at that- where we're saying that those individual choices can have ramifications for more than the one person.

Saying that they initially had depression and then their suicide could cause more depression which would then lead to another suicide- thus showing that the initial person was in an equal amount of pain comes off like saying the 'protagonist' of the story was the one suffering all along, and since it's their choice for them it's the only one that mattered for them. It's a logical error, a feedback loop.


I mean I literally just responded to her posts using the situation she and you described and why I don't feel it adds up.

I know that suicide(by most people at least) will lead to ripples. I addressed her arguments under such assumption.

I'm not sure that arguing about semantics on a suicide thread is really appropriate. I just wanted to know opinions and now i feel kind of bad for responding like a robot. It's just my opinion. I don't really see how my points have been contradictory. There is no "main point" to life and it is your body, you never asked to live. So yes I guess I do feel like the person should be able to do what they want with their body, because even if it sends "ripples" by your own argument you could just say to any family who's lost someone to suicide "Hey don't kill yourself because it will hurt other people", in fact they're in the unique position to understand that more than the person who killed themselves in the first place.

So either that's not convincing to a suicidal person, or it's just not a very good point to begin with. If someone becomes depressed because someone they know killed themselves, and then that person ends up killing themselves, that only shows an understanding of how much the original person was suffering to begin with.

Sorry if that seems rude or insensitive. I do think you should keep in mind that i'd never hurt a loved one on person. I've simply thought about this a lot and that's my conclusion. I'm not saying i'd ever do that, or that that's the right opinion. It's a touchy subject and I have to thank you for being respectful.
1304 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Colorado
Offline
Posted 2/27/17

YayForKittens wrote:


I think our views on this subject are much too different and we are just gonna have to agree to disagree on this. I can't see where you're coming from, as someone who has both struggled with suicidal thoughts, and has known people close to me going through that. I am trying but really just can't see how it can ever be justified.

You have a different opinion and I'm just gonna roll with that.


I'll have to throw my hat on this rack as well.
Cenric 
12726 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/27/17 , edited 3/12/17
Why is it always about right or wrong? Suicide and suicidal thoughts are a consequence of depression. There's nothing inherently wrong about it, most of the time the person isn't solely responsible for falling into that state. Sure what you do in life has an effect but it's on the same level as bad eating habits for physical conditions. Does it hurt people around you? Yes. Is it unfortunate people get to that point? Yes, most certainly.
If I had the chance to stop someone from killing themselves I would always stop them. Not because it's wrong but because I don't want them to kill themselves. I want to think nobody would choose death over a happy life and there's always a way, even if it's not visible at the moment.

Are these all based on my personal values and feelings? Most certainly. Do I know these things apply to every situation universally? Not at all.
11519 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M
Offline
Posted 2/27/17

Cenric wrote:

Why is it always about right or wrong? Suicide and suicidal thoughts are a consequence of depression. There's nothing inherently wrong about it, most of the time the person isn't solely responsible for falling into that state. Sure what you do in life has an effect but it's on the same level as bad eating habits for physical conditions. Does it hurt people around you? Yes. Is it unfortunate people get to that point? Yes, most certainly.
If I had the chance to stop someone from killing themselves I would always stop them. Not because it's wrong but because I don't want them to kill themselves. I want to think nobody would choose death over a happy life and there's always a way, even if it's not visible at the moment.

Are these all based on my personal values and feelings? Most certainly. Do I know these things apply to every situation universally? Not at all.


I pretty much agree with this post 100%

Maybe i'm too biased personally but then again every opinion is formed out of an inherent bias so.
12071 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / M / New England, USA
Offline
Posted 2/27/17 , edited 2/27/17

TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:

So I don't know if i'm allowed to ask this question on Crunchyroll's forums but considering how many different topics are on this site I figured I might as well ask the question.

What's wrong with Suicide? It seems like instead of believing that people have the right to do what they want, people generally are against the idea entirely, and they will go out of their way(even to the point of making someone feel guilty if they have to) in order to stop someone from committing or thinking about it.

I'm not saying i'm for or against it. I just want to know other people's opinions.

So, what's wrong with suicide?


When I was young I naively thought like you. Thought that suicide was an answer to problems. Thought it only mattered to me if I took my life. I was quickly proven wrong when another friend of mine intentionally drove his car into a tree at about 120 mph due to thinking everyone hated him. We didn't, none of us did. I realized then that all suicide does is rob you of time you can spend either spending time with those who care or FINDING others who care. If my attempt had succeeded I never would've met my best friend/surrogate brother of 20 years or the girl I'm with.

It can be very hard dealing with pain (and I'm speaking on this as someone labelled as Bi-polar by Doctors quite a few years back) but the only one you're cheating when you successfully suicide is yourself. You never know just how many important people (to you) you'll miss out on meeting.due to taking the "easy" way out.

For the record, I don't find anything wrong with assisted suicide when it comes to chronic illness with no hope of survival. If there's even the slightest chance of survival its not worth even attempting suicide, two of my uncles had Lymphoma (a cancer of the lymphnodes). One was given a 15% chance of survival, the other a 5% chance. They both fought and beat the odds and got another 30 years of added life each. One met his live-in GF of 8 years during the end of his 30 years and the other got to see/meet 2 grandchildren and 3 great grandchildren he never would have had the chance to meet. They both are now dead of natural causes (due to age) but left happy they lived a full life.

The best reason I can give for not trying to kill yourself is simple. Don't cheat your future self.
eu7eka 
77 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/27/17 , edited 2/27/17
Nothing's wrong with suicide. It's not a right or wrong act, it's just the act of taking one's life.

But people who consider or go through with it definitely have to consider the consequences of suicide.
131 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 2/27/17
I think the problem people have with suicide is more than just morals and is something much more base and animalistic than that. Because it directly contravenes the basic instinct to survive a lot of people find it abhorrent and label someone who is suicidal as selfish and wrong, the word suicide itself literally means self murder.
Personally while I don't necessarily agree with the course of action of suicide I can empathize with their feeling that if they just left the world it would be a better place but it really isn't that simple, there are some cases where suicidal people are so wrapped up in their own problems that they struggle to see the plight of those closest to them. However, having said that I can definitely understand those that campaign for assisted suicide if they have a terminal illness as I honestly feel that to get something like dementia that eventually a vegetable is a far worse fate than death.
11519 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M
Offline
Posted 2/27/17

neugenx wrote:


TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:

So I don't know if i'm allowed to ask this question on Crunchyroll's forums but considering how many different topics are on this site I figured I might as well ask the question.

What's wrong with Suicide? It seems like instead of believing that people have the right to do what they want, people generally are against the idea entirely, and they will go out of their way(even to the point of making someone feel guilty if they have to) in order to stop someone from committing or thinking about it.

I'm not saying i'm for or against it. I just want to know other people's opinions.

So, what's wrong with suicide?


When I was young I naively thought like you. Thought that suicide was an answer to problems. Thought it only mattered to me if I took my life. I was quickly proven wrong when another friend of mine intentionally drove his car into a tree at about 120 mph due to thinking everyone hated him. We didn't, none of us did. I realized then that all suicide does is rob you of time you can spend either spending time with those who care or FINDING others who care. If my attempt had succeeded I never would've met my best friend/surrogate brother of 20 years or the girl I'm with.

It can be very hard dealing with pain (and I'm speaking on this as someone labelled as Bi-polar by Doctors quite a few years back) but the only one you're cheating when you successfully suicide is yourself. You never know just how many important people (to you) you'll miss out on meeting.due to taking the "easy" way out.

For the record, I don't find anything wrong with assisted suicide when it comes to chronic illness with no hope of survival. If there's even the slightest chance of survival its not worth even attempting suicide, two of my uncles had Lymphoma (a cancer of the lymphnodes). One was given a 15% chance of survival, the other a 5% chance. They both fought and beat the odds and got another 30 years of added life each. One met his live-in GF of 8 years during the end of his 30 years and the other got to see/meet 2 grandchildren and 3 great grandchildren he never would have had the chance to meet. They both are now dead of natural causes (due to age) but left happy they lived a full life.

The best reason I can give for not trying to kill yourself is simple. Don't cheat your future self.


Thanks a lot I liked your comment
8622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / London, England
Offline
Posted 2/27/17

TheAngryLittleAlchemist wrote:

So I don't know if i'm allowed to ask this question on Crunchyroll's forums but considering how many different topics are on this site I figured I might as well ask the question.

What's wrong with Suicide? It seems like instead of believing that people have the right to do what they want, people generally are against the idea entirely, and they will go out of their way(even to the point of making someone feel guilty if they have to) in order to stop someone from committing or thinking about it.

I'm not saying i'm for or against it. I just want to know other people's opinions.

So, what's wrong with suicide?


God. You're gonna bring the suicidal thoughts to the forums now? Calm down
35283 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/27/17 , edited 3/5/17

neugenx wrote:
The best reason I can give for not trying to kill yourself is simple. Don't cheat your future self.


Well, the fundamental problem is that someone's future self might suck. Suicide is usually presented as a dramatic surprise in media when its far more likely to be the result of a long term wearing down on a person's mental/emotional health. As someone who has been there, done that and is still being treated for it I can say it's not a spontaneous thought. Nor is there any "well if I just get through this moment everything will get better".

It's a persistent, unending erosion coupled with a literal inability to enjoy life or feel happiness to begin with. If I am to be as brutally honest as possible here: I see suicide as a back up plan. Something that is always there as an option if all else well and truly does fail. I view it that way not out of extreme emotional states but rather out of psychological exhaustion.

Humms 
11789 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 2/27/17 , edited 3/2/17


It just gives people jobs and money for trying to save those people, so suicidal people are actually making other people money, so we need to have suicide in order to generate good returns.

Therapy ain't cheap kiddies, because they obviously know what they're doing, and if it doesn't work, at least some money was made.

Plus, do you know how many blonde women are going to school for psychology? It's probably a good amount, the young and tight minds of the new generation. People helping people.
6578 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/27/17
i feel their is a difference between the right to die and suicide.

right to die usually involves allowing a person with for example a terminal cancer or such whose already tried pretty much every option to treat or cure it with non of them really helping so instead just letting the disease kill them which likely wouldn't be that pleasant I'm sure they decide to after talking to various family,friends and medical and legal professionals etc they choose to end it early in a way that while not exactly the best situation they aren't being inconsiderate of the aftermath of their death and such

suicide on the other hand is most often a relatively spontaneous act where the person for whatever reason kills themselves which causes more problems for friends,family and various other people who get involved for example likely more sohocking to friends and family police would have to investigate it find out weather its murder or suicide etc so quite inconsiderate i would say.
3941 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Mᴇᴡɴɪ
Offline
Posted 2/27/17

I don't know if you realize this but the people who genuinely care for you will not want you to commit suicide...lol
11519 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M
Offline
Posted 2/27/17

llunga wrote:


I don't know if you realize this but the people who genuinely care for you will not want you to commit suicide...lol


Damn really? This changes my perspective entirely. Thanks !
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.