First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply What's wrong with Suicide?
12073 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / M / New England, USA
Offline
Posted 2/27/17

runec wrote:


neugenx wrote:
The best reason I can give for not trying to kill yourself is simple. Don't cheat your future self.


Well, the fundamental problem is that someone's future self might suck. Suicide is usually presented as a dramatic surprise in media when its far more likely to be the result of a long term wearing down on a person's mental/emotional health. As someone who has been there, done that and is still being treated for it I can say it's not a spontaneous thought. Nor is there any "well if I just get through this moment everything will get better".

It's a persistent, unending erosion coupled with a literal inability to enjoy life or feel happiness to begin with. If I am to be as brutally honest as possible here: I see suicide as a back up plan. Something that is always there as an option if all else well and truly does fail. I view it that way not out of extreme emotional states but rather out of psychological exhaustion.



Despite, my bi-polar, I truly believe your future self is determined by you and what you want to put into reaching it. Part of this of course involves getting treatment like in the cases of my uncles cancer. You have to know exactly when you need help to get through anything in life whether it's depression, cancer of just the plain old doldrums or rough patch. It will take time exactly as you say but if you try making things better there's a very good chance they will be.
35285 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/27/17

neugenx wrote:
Despite, my bi-polar, I truly believe your future self is determined by you and what you want to put into reaching it. Part of this of course involves getting treatment like in the cases of my uncles cancer. You have to know exactly when you need help to get through anything in life whether it's depression, cancer of just the plain old doldrums or rough patch. It will take time exactly as you say but if you try making things better there's a very good chance they will be.


Unfortunately, depression is not that easy and clinical depression may simply never go away. We don't have any 100% effective treatments nor even universal treatments. Its a trial and error process to find something or someway just to manage it at an adequate level to begin with. If you have something compounding like I do ( PTSD ) you may be trying to treat multiple things at once and could be medicated into oblivion just to function around the house on a somewhat daily basis. -.-

8671 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Palm Coast, Florida
Offline
Posted 2/27/17
I believe it's a sin, and is viewed as one, as someone mentioned earlier. You are getting rid of the gift of life that God gave you. Even if things go really bad, you should still try and hang on.
8398 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 2/27/17
Life is cool but at the same time its a meaningless ephemeral process, I don't think cause someone suicides it warrants me to react with dejection and whatever feelings of betrayal, frustration, etc that arise and convince myself that their death "caused" it and thus rationalizing it as "wrong" taking my own power away in the process. I think the idea that we should and have to be sad when someone dies is a cultural meme that's really just dumb and leads to disingenuous/distorted view of anything related to death, and I think alot of ideas around suicide are also a result of a perpetuated cultural meme. Not saying that death can't invoke genuine feeling of sadness but maybe it doesn't always have to be that way, maybe there are other ways of viewing the situation. I find that right and wrong moralistic conversations are dumb most of the time cause they don't lead anywhere and just are really a waste. I'm actually not averse to people suiciding in the end, don't really think it's right or wrong, don't really put a moralistic spin on the thing, I just really don't care most of the time cause I don't think it's worth my time and energy to do so.
30000 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
83 / F / Bite the pillow.
Offline
Posted 2/27/17
Well, first up... I have no moral or religious problems with people wanting to exercise their right to do with their bodies what they want to. Your body, your right.

That said, I think for many people, suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. I'm not being flippant about the serious, soul crushing nature of contemplating suicide, but that I think for so many who succeed, there could have been another option.

It's one of the reasons I do volunteer work in North Minneapolis.
1339 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/27/17 , edited 2/28/17
There are a couple of reasons that I'm personally against it.

First of all, a lot of people considering suicide are in no place to make a decision like that. A lot are having mental issues that make any kind of reasonable assessment difficult or impossible, or are in a spur-of-the-moment crisis. For example, you said earlier that a lot of people who commit suicide don't have people who care about them. While that is true, it is also true that a lot of people who commit suicide think that no one cares about them, but are WRONG. If you are (or if anyone else is) considering suicide, you should be second-guessing your judgement on such matters. Suicide is literally your last option. There's no going back and trying something else. In order to keep your mind focused on finding other options, it is best not to even consider suicide as an option, imo.

Second, by sheer odds, the time you want to commit suicide is likely one of the worst periods of your life. Chances are, if you give it time, things will improve.

Also, as for why people try to stop others from committing suicide, it's because we form attachments to others. Of course I don't want to see my best friend kill himself, and of course I'm not going to just sit back and watch as he tries to cut all ties with me permanently. If there's anything I can do to stop it, I will. Contrary to your statements, I do not believe that puts me in the wrong. Why wouldn't you fight to keep a good friend or family member in your life?

33024 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 2/27/17
Guess the person doesn't care what other people think anyways.

They don't care if friends or families get sad.

They couldn't care, because they're suffering from mental ailment that prevents them from caring. When they're like that, people only think about their own pain and nobody else.
28406 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 2/27/17
Nothing is wrong with suicide it's the only way i will die for example.
28406 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 2/27/17

nanikore2 wrote:

Guess the person doesn't care what other people think anyways.

They don't care if friends or families get sad.

They couldn't care, because they're suffering from mental ailment that prevents them from caring. When they're like that, people only think about their own pain and nobody else.


So a person should be forced to live on no matter what until they die a natural death?

What if someone wants to die at the end of their life by there own hands.
33024 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 2/27/17

Ryulightorb wrote:


nanikore2 wrote:

Guess the person doesn't care what other people think anyways.

They don't care if friends or families get sad.

They couldn't care, because they're suffering from mental ailment that prevents them from caring. When they're like that, people only think about their own pain and nobody else.


So a person should be forced to live on no matter what until they die a natural death?

What if someone wants to die at the end of their life by there own hands.


If someone is already near a natural death, then they shouldn't be forced to suffer. For example, a person dying of old age and/or a disease for which there is no further feasible treatment. If someone's lungs are filling up with liquids and they're literally drowning in their lungs then the humane thing is to let them go.

For someone is mentally ill, the treatment isn't death.
28406 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 2/27/17

nanikore2 wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:


nanikore2 wrote:

Guess the person doesn't care what other people think anyways.

They don't care if friends or families get sad.

They couldn't care, because they're suffering from mental ailment that prevents them from caring. When they're like that, people only think about their own pain and nobody else.


So a person should be forced to live on no matter what until they die a natural death?

What if someone wants to die at the end of their life by there own hands.


If someone is already near a natural death, then they shouldn't be forced to suffer. For example, a person dying of old age and/or a disease for which there is no further feasible treatment. If someone's lungs are filling up with liquids and they're literally drowning in their lungs then the humane thing is to let them go.

For someone is mentally ill, the treatment isn't death.


ok lets face a theoretical if aging was cured and someone had to die of disease or being murdered.
Why would it be unethical for someone to choose they have lived long enough?

also

I myself plan to die by my own hands and not when i'm near a natural death i plan to die when i have experienced as much as i want to experience in life and decide i have had enough why should that be not allowed.
Posted 2/28/17

Ryulightorb wrote:

I myself plan to die by my own hands and not when i'm near a natural death i plan to die when i have experienced as much as i want to experience in life and decide i have had enough why should that be not allowed.


I wasn't going to comment on this thread originally because talking about suicide makes me angry, however i could not ignore this comment. So when you feel like it you're just gona end it yeah?? and what if you have kids in the future?? Are they supposed to just be ok with you doing that, "Aww it's ok dad experienced everything he wanted to! It doesn't matter if he misses my wedding day or the birth of his first granchild" I don't think so. Suicide for me is selfish and is never an option but that's just what i was raised to believe. Also i thought you wanted to live forever?? Now you are just confusing me.
207288 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Antique bookshop
Offline
Posted 2/28/17
everything is wrong with it !

don't think of death as a way to escape from anything.
28406 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 2/28/17

TartanButterfly wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:

I myself plan to die by my own hands and not when i'm near a natural death i plan to die when i have experienced as much as i want to experience in life and decide i have had enough why should that be not allowed.


I wasn't going to comment on this thread originally because talking about suicide makes me angry, however i could not ignore this comment. So when you feel like it you're just gona end it yeah?? and what if you have kids in the future?? Are they supposed to just be ok with you doing that, "Aww it's ok dad experienced everything he wanted to! It doesn't matter if he misses my wedding day or the birth of his first granchild" I don't think so. Suicide for me is selfish and is never an option but that's just what i was raised to believe. Also i thought you wanted to live forever?? Now you are just confusing me.


I do want to live forever if i can't i want to die of my own hands though.

of course i wouldn't leave life if i had kids and a family.
i would stay until they passed if that ever happened and watch over any of the children they have c:
Posted 2/28/17
Our basic instinct is survival, so it is wrong on an instinctual level. Plus society's view on it is also negative so it could tarnish your legacy.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.