First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply What's wrong with Suicide?
55145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
101 / M
Offline
Posted 2/28/17

Ocale wrote:

It's for kids


EHHHHHHH Aren't everyone here in 20's?
55145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
101 / M
Offline
Posted 2/28/17

BirdOfFlocks wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:

I would share my opinion but people might comment on it. So, no.


Too late.


Who the guy in your profile? He look like Con man. :p
17434 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 2/28/17
Very few things in life are right or wrong life isn't convenient like that usually as for suicide honestly for me it depends on the reason. suicide is as selfish as child birth no one chooses to be born and few choose to die. I think that there is a fine line between euthanasia and suicide. suddenly taking your life one day unplanned to your family and friends will just be realising their fears because they will be spending their time worried about that person doing themselves in and every day happy that they aren't yet dead and then there is the disruptions caused by the act to other people just going about their daily live especially if it's a public suicide not many people want to witness that kind of thing.

Sorry for the long post but it's not the kind of thing someone should consider their choice because people affect more than themselves and will just be inflicting pain on others even if it's completely planned and expected the death of someone is never easy to deal with.
Posted 2/28/17 , edited 2/28/17
I think the problem is that if it doesn't come from a doctor, it's giving up or solving a problem in a way that doesn't fix the issue.
It's insane so someone that wants it shouldn't be allowed to make such decisions for themselves.
12255 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Birmingham, UK
Offline
Posted 2/28/17
Suicide is for the weak, it's an easy way out, it's to say you give up, life broke you. Instead of facing and dealing with your problem's you're just going to run from them and then there's the pain it causes others, even if you feel like no one would care, someone always does and committing suicide will affect those who do care.

Talk to others, tell them how you feel, ask for the help you need, never be a dick and hurt others as you remove yourself from the game of life.
11308 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M
Offline
Posted 2/28/17 , edited 2/28/17
Seems to be a predominance of "suicide-shaming" here in the forums, in the same mentality as fat shaming, or blaming victims of domestic violence or sexual abuse.

That's going to have EXACTLY the opposite effect, (assuming we actually want to REDUCE the rate of suicide) because it amounts to blaming the victim, making them feel even more worthless, and much more likely to think they don't deserve to live, or that they cannot stand to continue living in a world like this.
Let's assume we're not talking about end-of-life/terminal illness/euthanasia, because that is a completely separate issue and topic, related to dignity, quality of end-of-life, and self-determinism.
That is not the same as 'suicide' in the typical sense, and I have no argument against responsibly planned euthanasia.


To sum it up in two points: suicide is bad because:

1. It is a cruel waste of a valuable human life, usually that of a sensitive person who cannot stand to go on and endure the pain they've been feeling - those are exactly the type of people we need more of to exist in this world! We need, as a society to make a safe livable world for them, and to give them a massive boost of self-esteem, but today's society is instead going in the Frat-boy right-wing direction of 'life is hard', 'might is right' and 'HTFU, princess'. They really just don't get it. To clarify, this is not to create a world of flower children. We're looking for a balanced society where everyone has their place, and their differences are accepted. Sure, we need strong people, but we ALSO need sensitive people, just as we need highly intelligent people. Most of all we need everyone to understand the vital role each type plays in a healthy human ecology.


2. For someone to think that killing themselves is even a solution, indicates that there is something very wrong - not with THEM, but WITH THEIR ENVIRONMENT - i.e. fearmongering politicians or media destroying self-esteem & perpetuating a worldview of a bleak/uncertain future, widespread unemployment, low grades at school, certain people they are surrounded by or bullied by through social media, living or working conditions, or an untenable situation they have somehow got into where an implied threat of exposure would socially destroy them or their loved ones.

In almost all cases, it means THE WRONG PEOPLE will end up being punished as a result of a suicide.
The sensitive caring individuals who could not cope with the world as it is, are in effect making the world a harsher crueler place by no longer being here to making up a vital part of society.
The loved ones of the victim will blame themselves for the rest of their lives.
The guilty parties will never suffer, and in fact, the lack of consequence to them from the death of their victim will only embolden them to continue.
Corporations and greedy individuals who profit from valuing the bottom line over the lives of countless unemployed families will rationalise their sociopathic actions because corporate law obligates them to "maximise profit for shareholders", just as Hilter's henchmen blamed "following orders".
Media in the pockets of certain political agendas will report it as a 'tragic' isolated incident, often implying blame for the suicide victim on their family through ad-hominem means of "unresolved mental health issues", blowing a dog whistle that society at large is happy to wag their tail to, assuming it could never affect THEM.

HTH.
It's true - Sensitive people are too good for this world -
But that's all the more reason we need them to stick around as long as possible to make the world a better place!
3011 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 2/28/17

Ryulightorb wrote:


nanikore2 wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:


nanikore2 wrote:

Guess the person doesn't care what other people think anyways.

They don't care if friends or families get sad.

They couldn't care, because they're suffering from mental ailment that prevents them from caring. When they're like that, people only think about their own pain and nobody else.


So a person should be forced to live on no matter what until they die a natural death?

What if someone wants to die at the end of their life by there own hands.


If someone is already near a natural death, then they shouldn't be forced to suffer. For example, a person dying of old age and/or a disease for which there is no further feasible treatment. If someone's lungs are filling up with liquids and they're literally drowning in their lungs then the humane thing is to let them go.

For someone is mentally ill, the treatment isn't death.


ok lets face a theoretical if aging was cured and someone had to die of disease or being murdered.
Why would it be unethical for someone to choose they have lived long enough?

also

I myself plan to die by my own hands and not when i'm near a natural death i plan to die when i have experienced as much as i want to experience in life and decide i have had enough why should that be not allowed.


Well this is real life, and that's not a thing, so who gives a crap about talking about a moral conundrum that humanity will never face? What's even the point in that? The fact that you even think it's possible to experience every single thing worth experiencing in a normal human lifetime shows how little you know about the world. There will ALWAYS be something new to experience, something new to discover, and something new to witness.
11815 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M
Offline
Posted 2/28/17

jaragnaros wrote:

Suicide is for the weak, it's an easy way out, it's to say you give up, life broke you. Instead of facing and dealing with your problem's you're just going to run from them and then there's the pain it causes others, even if you feel like no one would care, someone always does and committing suicide will affect those who do care.

Talk to others, tell them how you feel, ask for the help you need, never be a dick and hurt others as you remove yourself from the game of life.


uh... and what if i admit im weak?
gsm642 
1886 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Shanghai China
Offline
Posted 2/28/17
Suicide is not for the weak it takes create courage to pull it off correctly and anyone who does has my respect. It basically comes down to peoples personal believes and that some people are actually terrified of dying because of the fear of the unknown. There is also a religions factor in this to which is also related to the fear of the unknown and lets not forget the whole mental health issues the tax issue meaning the government wants to keep you alive as you are a source of tax income to the government so that's why they will make it against the law to do.
6048 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / SoFlo
Offline
Posted 2/28/17 , edited 3/2/17
Because it is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
30705 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Online
Posted 2/28/17 , edited 3/2/17

SirGamma wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:


nanikore2 wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:


nanikore2 wrote:

Guess the person doesn't care what other people think anyways.

They don't care if friends or families get sad.

They couldn't care, because they're suffering from mental ailment that prevents them from caring. When they're like that, people only think about their own pain and nobody else.


So a person should be forced to live on no matter what until they die a natural death?

What if someone wants to die at the end of their life by there own hands.


If someone is already near a natural death, then they shouldn't be forced to suffer. For example, a person dying of old age and/or a disease for which there is no further feasible treatment. If someone's lungs are filling up with liquids and they're literally drowning in their lungs then the humane thing is to let them go.

For someone is mentally ill, the treatment isn't death.


ok lets face a theoretical if aging was cured and someone had to die of disease or being murdered.
Why would it be unethical for someone to choose they have lived long enough?

also

I myself plan to die by my own hands and not when i'm near a natural death i plan to die when i have experienced as much as i want to experience in life and decide i have had enough why should that be not allowed.


Well this is real life, and that's not a thing, so who gives a crap about talking about a moral conundrum that humanity will never face? What's even the point in that? The fact that you even think it's possible to experience every single thing worth experiencing in a normal human lifetime shows how little you know about the world. There will ALWAYS be something new to experience, something new to discover, and something new to witness.


well we will cure aging in the next 100 years as it's something we are working hard on as it's a disease.
A normal human lifetime doesn't give much to experience but most of us will live longer then that as science progresses you are being naive.
456 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Germany
Offline
Posted 2/28/17
Für die schwachen
iridi 
174 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 2/28/17 , edited 3/3/17
My dad committed suicide about a year and a half ago. I don't think it's wrong.

If you've been suffering for years and have really thought it over, that's fine. People can do what they want with their lives & bodies.

The "survivors" move on. Life hasn't stopped for us even though it's been harder since my dad was the breadwinner. But I can't blame him. It's selfish to insist someone continue living just because YOU think you need them, just as it'd be selfish to prevent someone from breaking up with you or moving away permanently. Granted, I think you should make proper preparations if you have dependents (like my dad did with saving money, getting life insurance, and leaving important documents & passwords in an easily accessible place) but other than that, whatever.

Also, screw the "temporary problem / permanent solution" business. That doesn't apply to every case. Sometimes problems ARE permanent and repeating that mantra is just ignorant. Chronic illness is a thing.
11815 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M
Offline
Posted 2/28/17 , edited 2/28/17

Bunnilah wrote:

Because it is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.


how do you know the problem isnt permanent????????????????????????????????????????
12 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Sunderland, England
Offline
Posted 2/28/17 , edited 3/3/17
I have been coping with depression and anxiety most of my life, for me, life was constant nagging pain that got worse day by day. I have tried anti-depressants, I have tried seeing a psychiatrist and talking about my problems, but nothing worked.

From the onset of puberty up until about 2 years ago was the worst time of my life, i hated myself and everyone else and i wanted to die, but i never had the guts to take my own life, which only made me feel worse about myself, it was a never ending spiral of depression.

Then i started watching anime, and this weird art form from an alien country changed my life. It made me feel good and gave me something to look forward to. With this new found positivity i gained the confidence to quit my crappy job and move on with my life.

At this moment in time, i'm still confused as to why taking ones life is frowned upon, as this life belongs to me and no-one else then it is my decision and my decision alone if i live or die. I believe that if every person was allowed to end their life willingly and peacefully then this world would be a better place as we would not live our lives stressing how and when our lives will painfully end.

I now feel...content... with life. But i doubt i will ever feel happy. I still feel the shadow of depression looming over me, waiting to take me, and as for my anxiety, well i'll have to learn to live with it.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.