First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Oscar Flub, The Vengeance of Trump? (An embarrassment of the opposition, is a political win for Trump)
48129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/28/17

ninjitsuko wrote:


TheGrandAlliance wrote:
Because Trump's opposition loves the claim to be (intellectually) infallible: Everything about liberalism is perfect, of course. But yet, they "mess up ", too. And Bigly. Whereas, if Trump "reportedly" messes up, the /skyisfalling


%oscars != %liberalism
%oscars == %award.ceremony

I think you're correlating certain things to liberalism and/or Trump incorrectly these days. It's kind of like digging for gold in the middle of the desert - you're picking up a lot of dirt but there isn't much of a chance of any gold where you're digging. As someone that you (and many on this forum) would consider "liberal" -- I don't really care about the Oscars (nor have I ever watched it). lol


%american.left != %liberalism
%american.left == %communist.thought.police
%oscars == %american.left.propaganda.self.aggrandizement

So having said that, I don't really know anyone even my leftist friends/family who liked Moonlight or La La Land although of the 2 I didn't leave La La Land wanting my money back. My personal pick of the nominees would have been Hacksaw Ridge, but knew it wasn't going to win because true story about courage and morals with a man literally saving almost 80 peoples lives, is nothing when compared to the fake story of a poor gay black man coming to grips with who they are. Now if there had been a coming of age story of groups higher up on the progressive stack say a Latino Trans Woman deportee then Moonlight may have had some real competition.
35659 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/28/17

TheGrandAlliance wrote:
That's not true; more fake news for you, it is one of Trump's philosophies... Never admit defeat. More so, only look forward on positives. Reason he doesn't talk about his bankruptcies.

The idea being, if Trump says something bad about himself in earnest, the media runs with fake news articles thereafter. Which happens. So, yes it may appear "narcissist" to the uninformed, it is simply "brand management" strategy. He runs his life like a business, how "Trump became Trump".


Er, what? It's "fake news" because you think you know Trump's philosophical motivation? That doesn't even make sense, dude. Also, he is not a brand anymore he's the president. The president can't not accept criticism. Do you want West Korea? Because that's how you get West Korea.

Nevermind that he has a long and documented history of both pathological lying and a complete and utter inability to accept or even consider the slightest criticism. He doesn't yell at Saturday Night Live on Twitter because he "never admits defeat". He does it because he's a thin skinned, self obsessed narcissist.
19 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / O
Offline
Posted 2/28/17
Perhaps people can explain what they actually 'won' that is tangible and not just an additional line item on a list of talking points.
35659 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/28/17

bakasama99 wrote:
So having said that, I don't really know anyone even my leftist friends/family who liked Moonlight or La La Land although of the 2 I didn't leave La La Land wanting my money back. My personal pick of the nominees would have been Hacksaw Ridge, but knew it wasn't going to win because true story about courage and morals with a man literally saving almost 80 peoples lives, is nothing when compared to the fake story of a poor gay black man coming to grips with who they are. Now if there had been a coming of age story of groups higher up on the progressive stack say a Latino Trans Woman deportee then Moonlight may have had some real competition.


Right, few things here:

1) The quality of a movie is not determined by it's "true story" or lack there of. That's ridiculous.
2) Hacksaw Ridge is "based on a true story". It's not a documentary and is not 100% historically accurate.
3) If you're going to be pedantic about Truthiness, Moonlight is actually semi-biographical and many of the characters are based on real people.

48129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/28/17

runec wrote:


bakasama99 wrote:
So having said that, I don't really know anyone even my leftist friends/family who liked Moonlight or La La Land although of the 2 I didn't leave La La Land wanting my money back. My personal pick of the nominees would have been Hacksaw Ridge, but knew it wasn't going to win because true story about courage and morals with a man literally saving almost 80 peoples lives, is nothing when compared to the fake story of a poor gay black man coming to grips with who they are. Now if there had been a coming of age story of groups higher up on the progressive stack say a Latino Trans Woman deportee then Moonlight may have had some real competition.


Right, few things here:

1) The quality of a movie is not determined by it's "true story" or lack there of. That's ridiculous.
2) Hacksaw Ridge is "based on a true story". It's not a documentary and is not 100% historically accurate.
3) If you're going to be pedantic about Truthiness, Moonlight is actually semi-biographical and many of the characters are based on real people.



actually I was trying to make more of a point about the "progressive stack"'s importance to Hollywood not truthiness but I can see how you got that from what I wrote. I am in a little bit of ramble mode right now since I stayed up all night playing Horizon Zero Dawn, so apologies.
1749 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Azeroth
Offline
Posted 2/28/17

limeparadox wrote:

do you . . . realize . . . that in this context you seem to be using "fake news" to refer to reporting things trump has literally said if those things make him sound kind of bad?

do words mean anything anymore?


No, I am saying a layperson journalist (not a doctor) calling Trump narcissist based upon selective editing of FoxFriends interview (watch full clip plz), is fake news. Nothing about that demonstrates as to the claim, it is just being thrown out there as hyperbole.

Just because he didn't answer the question; in manner behoving liberals, is not evidence he is narcissistic, that is.

1749 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Azeroth
Offline
Posted 2/28/17

runec wrote:

. Do you want West Korea? Because that's how you get West Korea.


"West Korea"? WTF is that?

Did you mean *North Korea? And u accuse Trump of "alternate facts"....
mxdan 
10946 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / A Husk.
Offline
Posted 2/28/17 , edited 2/28/17

TheGrandAlliance wrote:


mxdan wrote:

- Sees generic statements as directed insults.

- Sets up a thread to hurl insults back off of confirmation bias.

- Insults the intelligence of people when they don't share his subjective line of reasoning.


It would help if you actually watched it, as opposed to being ridiculous with ur ignorance bias.

Here, watch thisNHK report. Japanese, in English. Very good.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20170227_18/

Tell me Trump is not directed target. Please, just try. I laugh so much, so very funny...


So, one foreign Muslim man makes a speech about not agreeing with a travel ban and suddenly the entire Oscar mass is in on it? He never said he hates Trump the person, just that he disagrees with the travel ban, and won't participate in the Oscars as a result. It's disgust in policy that he makes clear.
35659 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/28/17 , edited 2/28/17

bakasama99 wrote:
actually I was trying to make more of a point about the "progressive stack"'s importance to Hollywood not truthiness but I can see how you got that from what I wrote. I am in a little bit of ramble mode right now since I stayed up all night playing Horizon Zero Dawn, so apologies.


I accept your apology because robot dinosaurs are awesome and that is totally understandable.





TheGrandAlliance wrote:
"West Korea"? WTF is that?

Did you mean *North Korea? And u accuse Trump of "alternate facts"....


...it's a joke. North Korea is often mocked as "Best Korea". America, however, is The West(tm). Hence West Korea when Trump acts like Glorious Leader. The framing was an Archer reference.

The fact I have to explain the whole joke to you should sadden both of us for completely different reasons.





1749 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Azeroth
Offline
Posted 2/28/17 , edited 2/28/17

mxdan wrote:

So, one foreign Muslim man makes a speech about not agreeing with a travel ban and suddenly the entire Oscar mass is in on it? He never said he hates Trump the person, just that he disagrees with the travel ban, and won't participate in the Oscars as a result. It's disgust in policy that he makes clear.


Notwithstanding audience reaction and off camera issues on Iran issue, some other things u overlooked in that article...

The ceremony's host, Jimmy Kimmel, told the audience that Hollywood doesn't discriminate against people based on what countries they come from.

Mexican actor and presenter Gael Garcia Bernal said that as a migrant worker, and as a human being, he is against any wall.


I will admit, NHK news service is very nice, so they may "clean up" some things, such as...


http://www.businessinsider.com/jimmy-kimmel-donald-trump-oscars-opening-monologue-jokes-2017-2

Jimmy Kimmel brutally mocks Trump in Oscars opening

Jimmy Kimmel certainly pulled inspiration from President Donald Trump for some biting commentary about the leader during his Oscars monologue on Sunday.

"This broadcast is being watched live by millions of Americans and around the world in more than 225 countries that now hate us," Kimmel began, referencing Trump's strained relationships with certain countries, for example Sweden. "And I think that is an amazing thing."
But the host quickly found a balance with the opening joke by making a plea to Americans for unity.

"As you know, I don't have to tell anybody, the country is divided right now. People have been telling me, 'It's time to bring people together. You have to say something to unite us.' Let's just get something straight off the top: I can't do that. There's only one Braveheart in this room, and he's not going to unite us either," Kimmel said, referring to Mel Gibson, who appeared awkward in a reaction shot.

That didn't mean that Kimmel was done with Trump, though. He soon referenced the opinion of many of the president's detractors that his policies, including his embattled travel ban affecting those from seven predominantly Muslim countries and refugees.

"I want to say thank you to Mr. Trump," Kimmel said. "Remember last year when the Oscars were considered racist? That's done. Thanks to him."

Kimmel also had to recognize the ongoing war of words between Trump and celebrated actress Meryl Streep. Trump called Streep "overrated" after her impassioned speech criticizing him at the Golden Globes.

"We are here tonight to honor great actors, but we're also here to honor the actors who seem great, but actually really aren't," Kimmel joked of Streep, who's nominated for her 20th Oscar this year. "Of all the 'great' actors here in Hollywood, one in particular has stood the test of time for her many uninspiring and overrated performances... Meryl Streep has phoned it in for more than 50 films over the course of her lackluster career."

Even Trump's daughter wasn't safe from Kimmel's hits. He also poked fun at her ailing apparel business, which was recently dropped by Nordstrom and other retailers.

"Nice dress, by the way," Kimmel told Streep. "Is that an Ivanka?" 

While expressing how special the Oscars are, Kimmel took a final jab at Trump during his monologue by making fun of the president's love of tweeting, especially in the early-morning hours.

"We're at the Oscars, the Academy awards," Kimmel said. "You're nominated, you got to come, your families are nominated, your friends. Some of you will be able to come up here on the stage tonight and give a speech that the president of the United States will tweet about in all caps during his 5 a.m. bowel movement tomorrow."


No, there was 0 mention of Trump at AA. Nope, not even in the very opening monologue. Just "alternative facts". Blasphemy...


..............

Maybe people on CR dont understand English?...

But no matter...
1749 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Azeroth
Offline
Posted 2/28/17

runec wrote:
...it's a joke. North Korea is often mocked as "Best Korea". America, however, is The West(tm). Hence West Korea when Trump acts like Glorious Leader. The framing was an Archer reference.

The fact I have to explain the whole joke to you should sadden both of us for completely different reasons.


Ahh, I see. But no worries.
35659 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/28/17

TheGrandAlliance wrote:
No, there was 0 mention of Trump at AA. Nope, not even in the very opening monologue. Just "alternative facts". Blasphemy...

Maybe people on CR dont understand English?...


Do you? Because that's not what blasphemy means. >.>

14217 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/28/17

TheGrandAlliance wrote:


limeparadox wrote:

do you . . . realize . . . that in this context you seem to be using "fake news" to refer to reporting things trump has literally said if those things make him sound kind of bad?

do words mean anything anymore?


No, I am saying a layperson journalist (not a doctor) calling Trump narcissist based upon selective editing of FoxFriends interview (watch full clip plz), is fake news. Nothing about that demonstrates as to the claim, it is just being thrown out there as hyperbole.

Just because he didn't answer the question; in manner behoving liberals, is not evidence he is narcissistic, that is.


except the article linked there didn't say anything about narcissism. runec made that connection, but i guess the opinions of a forum poster are the same thing as professional journalism now?

if the things trump says have to be followed up by contrived bullshit explanations and justifications by other people just to make him not sound terrible, that's his problem and not something the news should have to do just to be seen as credible
17710 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 2/28/17
This thread does not make a lick of sense.
17710 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 2/28/17

sundin13 wrote:

"This just in, Kid stubs toe. A win for Donald Trump?"
only if he was at the oscars
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.