WEEKEND TICKETS GOING FAST!

PRICES GO UP AT THE GATE

PURCHASE TICKET
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Georgia couple gets prison time for racist threats at child’s birthday party
19671 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 3/1/17 , edited 3/1/17

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I do not disagree with such a designation.


I do, I rather think they got off far too lightly...Then again I think the same for all criminals not serving life or on death row.
7398 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Idaho
Offline
Posted 3/1/17 , edited 3/1/17
20 years for threats? There must be more to the story than this.
19671 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 3/1/17

Zavinus wrote:

20 years for threats? There must be more to the story than this.


A shotgun may have been involved . Which would mean the charges would have included unlawful use of a weapon, intent to cause deadly harm, and probably couple of other charges I can't think of right this moment. Police tend to like have as many charges on record as possible to maximise the time the felon will face.
runec 
34895 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/1/17 , edited 3/1/17

Zavinus wrote:
20 years for threats? There must be more to the story than this.



Ranwolf wrote:
A shotgun may have been involved . Which would mean the charges would have included unlawful use of a weapon, intent to cause deadly harm, and probably couple of other charges I can't think of right this moment. Police tend to like have as many charges on record as possible to maximise the time the felon will face.



Specifically, it's 3 counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, 1 of terroristic threats and 1 violation of the street gang act.

29206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/1/17 , edited 3/1/17

BlackRose0607 wrote:


outontheop wrote:
Actual killers, who have actually killed people frequently get off with half that sentence. The sentencing seems politically motivated.


Um, what? Are you kidding me? Most of the murder cases that I've read about where the person is convicted and sent to jail, the minimum sentence that I've ever seen is 20 years, without parole. Most of them are 30 year or more sentences without parole. Show me where you've read about these cases where murderers got less jail time than 20 years for being convicted for murder, because that doesn't sound right to me.


Well, if we want to compare high profile cases, consider Casey Anthony, who didn't just threaten children, but rather murdered one in most callous fashion. Four year sentence. Yes, the mean sentence for murder is 20 years 8 months (at least, as of 2000; I'm not going to waste any more time on the topic than a quick google search) ( https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/ascii/Fssc00.txt ), but that means that statistically, for every 30 year sentence, there is a 10 year sentence. So, yes, actual murderers frequently get off with lighter sentences than that.

If we're talking time served (since Runec brings up that they'll "only" actually serve 13 and 6 years), the average time served for homicide is 71 months according to multiple sources (like http://www.iapsonline.com/sites/default/files/Prison%20Sentences%20and%20Time%20Served%20for%20Violence_0.PDF , unfortunately an older source... strangely, google didn't pull more recent statistics- at least not that I could see without doing extensive digging; perhaps they are not kept anymore?)
19671 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 3/1/17

runec wrote:



Specifically, it's 3 counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, 1 of terroristic threats and 1 violation of the street gang act.



Ya know it's too bad they weren't members of the United States forces. The military would have shown the Georgian Police a thing or two about how to handle a criminal.
29206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/1/17

Ranwolf wrote:


Zavinus wrote:

20 years for threats? There must be more to the story than this.


A shotgun may have been involved . Which would mean the charges would have included unlawful use of a weapon, intent to cause deadly harm, and probably couple of other charges I can't think of right this moment. Police tend to like have as many charges on record as possible to maximise the time the felon will face.


Assault with a deadly weapon and intent to cause deadly harm are two different charges; one involves a threat, the other involves an attempted but incomplete violent act. This did not include an actual violent act.

And yes, the DA (not the police) will frequently use additional counts to massage the sentencing as they see fit.
20372 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Imoutoland!
Online
Posted 3/1/17 , edited 3/1/17

Ranwolf wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I do not disagree with such a designation.


I do, I rather think they got off far too lightly...Then again I think the same for all criminals not serving life or on death row.


I think that only adds on. Pretty hefty I might add. Oh well, agree to disagree.


Edit: Just realized you meant the years were not enough. RIP brain at 8:50 Am
29206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/1/17 , edited 3/1/17

Ranwolf wrote:

So I am glad there is at least one judge out there willing to punish people as harshly as they deserve. One member of the court system that remembers what their job truly is.

Even if it is only bitch slapping a couple of useless white supremacists.


That's rich, coming from perhaps the single most racist individual with whom I have ever had the displeasure of corresponding. -_-
29206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/1/17

Ranwolf wrote:


runec wrote:



Specifically, it's 3 counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, 1 of terroristic threats and 1 violation of the street gang act.



Ya know it's too bad they weren't members of the United States forces. The military would have shown the Georgian Police a thing or two about how to handle a criminal.


Well, it's a good thing the actual members of the United States forces understand that they are not domestic law enforcement officers, actually respect the legal status of their service, and do not see themselves as the final arbiters of justice. I mean, things might be different up north, or among pretend weeabo servicemembers, but in the real military....
runec 
34895 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/1/17

outontheop wrote:


Ranwolf wrote:

So I am glad there is at least one judge out there willing to punish people as harshly as they deserve. One member of the court system that remembers what their job truly is.

Even if it is only bitch slapping a couple of useless white supremacists.


That's rich, coming from perhaps the single most racist individual with whom I have ever had the displeasure of corresponding. -_-


Wait, really? Ranwolf is the top of your list on GD? >.>

29206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/1/17

runec wrote:


outontheop wrote:


Ranwolf wrote:

So I am glad there is at least one judge out there willing to punish people as harshly as they deserve. One member of the court system that remembers what their job truly is.

Even if it is only bitch slapping a couple of useless white supremacists.


That's rich, coming from perhaps the single most racist individual with whom I have ever had the displeasure of corresponding. -_-


Wait, really? Ranwolf is the top of your list on GD? >.>



Yes indeed. While there are others who are more publicly called out, what I've seen of their racism (or what others perceive is racism) is often situational, couched in fact (crime statistics, et al), or their statements are otherwise at least marginally mitigated by being an argument about trends, rather than racist aphorisms. For example "blacks are more prone to criminal activity" is a racist statement (implying that blacks are inherently criminal), but "blacks in the US commit crimes at a higher rate than whites in the US" is simply a factual statement. Someone saying the former might be a racist, using the facts to justify their beliefs, but in my eye, it is a less severe form of racism because the logical basis of the conclusion is at least logically consistent and based in real facts. On the other hand, Ranwolf's racism is upfront, purely ideological, vitriolic, and unapologetic. And he gets away with it uncontested, simply because he is (or claims to be) a minority himself.
19671 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 3/1/17

PeripheralVisionary wrote:




Edit: Just realized you meant the years were not enough. RIP brain at 8:50 Am


We all have moments like that, I've had my fair share of them.
19671 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 3/1/17

runec wrote:


Wait, really? Ranwolf is the top of your list on GD? >.>



Meh He thinks I am a lying racist pig who supports the ideology of fascism or baby raping or something I don't know. He isn't worth the effort of me paying attention to him nor the ban telling him what I really think would get me.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.