First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
BC depression
Posted 3/2/17
I just got pressured into taking a form of birth control and can't do anything for 3 months and it's caused me depression has anyone here had depression from bc or know anyone who has?
11762 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 3/2/17
Well first of all you shouldn't let yourself be strongarmed into doing that if you don't want to, but yeah I've known a few people who've had those side effects. IUDs especially. You should probably avoid those if they give you depression.
Humms 
11981 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / CAN, ON
Online
Posted 3/2/17 , edited 3/7/17
consult your local health Centre for the safety of your health.

I'm not a doctor, and I never claimed to be, but you should probably not seek help from the Internet?
Posted 3/2/17
I already talked with my doctor the form they gave me take effect for 3 months and only asked because my doctor didn't really help me and wanted to know if anyone else went through or is going through it
15031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/2/17
Ask a different doctor.
Posted 3/2/17

gornotck wrote:

Ask a different doctor.


i really am thinking of it since my doctor doesnt seem to have anything to help me with what I'm going through
runec 
36265 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/2/17 , edited 3/7/17
I'm assuming by both the 3 month thing and the depression that we're talking about hormonal birth control. Which can indeed increase the chance of or exacerbate existing depression or anxiety. It is certainly not a side effect you want and it's not as if there aren't other options for long term birth control.

If your doctor isn't listening to you, find another doctor.

Also, tell whomever pressured you into going on BC to fark off. That is your choice. No one else's.



octorockandroll wrote:
IUDs especially. You should probably avoid those if they give you depression.


I've never heard of IUD's having depression as a side effect. Given that they are, well, IUDs.

Edit: Scratch that. Now that I look into it I was thinking of something else ( diaphragm ).
11762 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 3/2/17

runec wrote:

I'm assuming by both the 3 month thing and the depression that we're talking about hormonal birth control. Which can indeed increase the chance of or exacerbate existing depression or anxiety. It is certainly not a side effect you want and it's not as if there aren't other options for long term birth control.

If your doctor isn't listening to you, find another doctor.

Also, tell whomever pressured you into going on BC to fark off. That is your choice. No one else's.



octorockandroll wrote:
IUDs especially. You should probably avoid those if they give you depression.


I've never heard of IUD's having depression as a side effect. Given that they are, well, IUDs.


Just what I've heard from people who used them.
One Punch Mod
104441 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 3/2/17

Squirrel500 wrote:

I just got pressured into taking a form of birth control and can't do anything for 3 months and it's caused me depression has anyone here had depression from bc or know anyone who has?


A long long time ago I was on birth control pills for 6 months. It seemed like a sensible convenient thing to do at the time, but it was a pretty miserable 6 months. But it was a choice I made pretty much on my own. I think I would have been even more miserable if I'd felt pushed into it, and then regretted it. I was always kind of moody so I wasn't sure how much extra of that was due to the pill, but in retrospect I concluded it was not neglible. As birth control it was quite effective -- made me cranky, also suppressed my libido basically, plus resulted in recurring yeast infections, ick! So, yeah, I wasn't really feeling like having sex when I was on that sort of birth control. Guess it worked?

At least once I discovered (with no help from my doctor) that the misery I was experiencing was likely the result of the pill, I just stopped, and eventually got back to feeling like my usual self. No idea what the best strategy is for something you know is going to be in your system for 3 months. Maybe just realizing that a lot of what you're feeling is on account of that will help.
runec 
36265 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/2/17

octorockandroll wrote:
Just what I've heard from people who used them.


Yeah, sorry, my mistake. Was thinking of something else.
Posted 3/2/17

runec wrote:

I'm assuming by both the 3 month thing and the depression that we're talking about hormonal birth control. Which can indeed increase the chance of or exacerbate existing depression or anxiety. It is certainly not a side effect you want and it's not as if there aren't other options for long term birth control.

If your doctor isn't listening to you, find another doctor.

Also, tell whomever pressured you into going on BC to fark off. That is your choice. No one else's.



octorockandroll wrote:
IUDs especially. You should probably avoid those if they give you depression.


I've never heard of IUD's having depression as a side effect. Given that they are, well, IUDs.



I already have decided I am not getting any more birth control my bf doesn't want me to either the shot contains a hormone that can cause your monthly cycle to stop and can take a long time to get back if you wish to have kids you're screwed this is my first experience with bc and hate it
11762 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 3/2/17

runec wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:
Just what I've heard from people who used them.


Yeah, sorry, my mistake. Was thinking of something else.


What were you thinking of?
Posted 3/2/17
First who is pressuring you Bf, spouse, doctor? you should never take something that is forced upon you
as far as birth control my experience back when i was much younger was very neg. side effects and all!
there are many options on the market just discuss this with your doctor
FYI- IUDs can be harmful as well, one of my close friends had to have a surgery after the damn plastic device
messed up here uterus she can no longer have children very serious so always read up on device.
Posted 3/2/17

lorreen wrote:


Squirrel500 wrote:

I just got pressured into taking a form of birth control and can't do anything for 3 months and it's caused me depression has anyone here had depression from bc or know anyone who has?


A long long time ago I was on birth control pills for 6 months. It seemed like a sensible convenient thing to do at the time, but it was a pretty miserable 6 months. But it was a choice I made pretty much on my own. I think I would have been even more miserable if I'd felt pushed into it, and then regretted it. I was always kind of moody so I wasn't sure how much extra of that was due to the pill, but in retrospect I concluded it was not neglible. As birth control it was quite effective -- made me cranky, also suppressed my libido basically, plus resulted in recurring yeast infections, ick! So, yeah, I wasn't really feeling like having sex when I was on that sort of birth control. Guess it worked?

At least once I discovered (with no help from my doctor) that the misery I was experiencing was likely the result of the pill, I just stopped, and eventually got back to feeling like my usual self. No idea what the best strategy is for something you know is going to be in your system for 3 months. Maybe just realizing that a lot of what you're feeling is on account of that will help.


thank you for posting I wanted the patch which is the pill in patch form my doctor refused to talk about it and pressured me into the depo shot i have experienced depression horrible cramps and painful sex amongst other side effects and it hasn't been a month since getting the shot
runec 
36265 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/2/17

Squirrel500 wrote:
I already have decided I am not getting any more birth control my bf doesn't want me to either the shot contains a hormone that can cause your monthly cycle to stop and can take a long time to get back if you wish to have kids you're screwed this is my first experience with bc and hate it


Anything hormonal can be a rough go if you're sensitive to that sort of treatment. Though BC and shots are probably the worst in terms of the amount in your system as a whole I would.



octorockandroll wrote:
What were you thinking of?


Diaphragms. Got my list of "things women have to have shoved into them in a relationship" mixed up. -.-
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.