First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Engaging trolls in debate
55145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
101 / M
Offline
Posted 3/6/17

Ejanss wrote:


JanusCascade wrote:


Ejanss wrote:
Since the Trademark Troll doesn't engage the other poster, he doesn't seduce/con/manipulate the other poster into a chain of responses, and instead, his attention-getting posts just sort of....SIT there, like a big ol' log in the middle of the road, that everyone has to grudgingly pause and step over.


Number 5, Why I'm Honored! Its alway related to the post, but was role playing as Marcus Octavius from Highlander: The Search for Vengence. If you don't like it, just simply move on to next post.


Well, I may have to, there's nothing you can really...um....DO with that response, is there? I mean, I'm stuck here, any suggestions?


You can follow your own suggestion to just simply don't reply to posts and just sit there like a good little boy! Just don't hit reply or new topic.
6237 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / O / US
Offline
Posted 3/6/17
I agree with people saying to disengage, or don't even engage at all if you can. Don't feed the trolls. You're also wasting your time, so that's a bonus for them.
33414 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 3/7/17

foraslan wrote:

So from now on I am going to refrain from thoughtless comments in any and all debate threads.


People make thoughtless comments all the time without actively trying to upset people.

It's only trolling when you're trying to piss someone off...
Posted 3/7/17 , edited 3/7/17
A lot of trolls are boogie men and are only trolls in your head.
The rest are stupid people and can't help themselves.


nanikore2 wrote:


foraslan wrote:

So from now on I am going to refrain from thoughtless comments in any and all debate threads.


People make thoughtless comments all the time without actively trying to upset people.

It's only trolling when you're trying to piss someone off...


But you can't know what someone else is thinking.
196 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24
Offline
Posted 3/7/17 , edited 3/7/17

JanusCascade wrote:

I alway assumed the trolls are the one with small amount of CR points like below 200 points, and they just delete that account and remake another one.



Not necessarily true. i have low cr points but im not a troll.
196 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24
Offline
Posted 3/7/17
I met a truly hateful person on a live chat a few days ago. He insulted me AND my (lovely and respected by me) ancestors with vile words. But I didn't get angry and say something wicked back. Long story short, I responded in calm and kind words and he left the live chat. Thinking about it now i feel compassion for him. He seemed really hurt be a particular race of people and tried to make me express hatred for them as well. Hopefully people like that will by able to someday get over their anger and sadness at the world.
7677 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Pensacola
Offline
Posted 3/7/17
I troll ALOT, but with a lot of what I say is actually truth. its just so blunt people cannot handle it.
1031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Detroit
Offline
Posted 3/7/17

foraslan wrote:

Finally, what do you all think? Can trolls be reformed (not in a permanent sense)? How should we go about engaging them (and people in general) in meaningful debate? How can we keep ourselves in line, to make sure WE don't contribute to the trolling?


You're asking the wrong question. It's not what you can do about the troll, the question is what can the troll do for you?

Trolling is an art. Like all art you do it to elicit an emotional response. Trolling brings out truth, in the depths of our frustration we say what we really mean. An effective troll will strip away the trivial and get right to the substance of the matter at hand. If you embrace truth and speak from the heart, the troll will have no power. If you try to hedge or use evasive language they will mock you ceaselessly and pick apart your every word. So be bold, be brief, and be honest.

Or it's an 8 year old that learned how to use potty words. Call a mod, drop the banhammer and forget the little pest.
Ejanss 
16967 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/7/17 , edited 3/7/17

xTheMaestro wrote:


foraslan wrote:

Finally, what do you all think? Can trolls be reformed (not in a permanent sense)? How should we go about engaging them (and people in general) in meaningful debate? How can we keep ourselves in line, to make sure WE don't contribute to the trolling?


You're asking the wrong question. It's not what you can do about the troll, the question is what can the troll do for you?

Trolling is an art. Like all art you do it to elicit an emotional response. Trolling brings out truth, in the depths of our frustration we say what we really mean. An effective troll will strip away the trivial and get right to the substance of the matter at hand. If you embrace truth and speak from the heart, the troll will have no power. If you try to hedge or use evasive language they will mock you ceaselessly and pick apart your every word. So be bold, be brief, and be honest.

Or it's an 8 year old that learned how to use potty words. Call a mod, drop the banhammer and forget the little pest.


Yeah, the first idea is what you think the first time, the second idea pretty well sinks in afterwards.

(Back in the Glorious 90's days of Usenet, EVERYBODY went around trying to make an "art form" out of dueling with trolls--
One "legendary" troll bragged that A&E was coming to his house to do a documentary on him...Unfortunately, what he found out was that it was "Intervention", and he was being covered for his cough-syrup addiction.
Y'know, after that, we all just sort of kicked ourselves. That's what it had been about all along, and the fact that Usenet died shortly afterwards sort of took the whole "mystique" of Trolldom with it. Now it's just kids worshipping what they were never alive to see.)
9509 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Palm Coast, Florida
Offline
Posted 3/7/17
Trolling them back works.
Ejanss 
16967 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/7/17 , edited 3/7/17

MonoDreams wrote:

Trolling them back works.


Just look how well it worked for the Republican Debates.
42551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
DE4D
Offline
Posted 3/7/17 , edited 3/7/17
literally all i do in these so called 'internet arguments' is troll the hell out of people. why? because they're riddled with pointlessness and personal fallacy. ain't nobody actually winning the things.
xzard 
1042 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Glasgow
Offline
Posted 3/7/17 , edited 3/7/17
1 - How do you know someone is genuinely trolling?
2 - What's the difference between someone who is plain trolling and someone who simply has a very different opinion?

For me, being trolled is obvious the moment someone is ignoring points I try to make for a debate and getting me to feel passionate or exasperated towards any given discussion.

In short, don't get baited when you notice it. Sure, some don't stop having one-sided jokes, those get tired eventually when no attention comes.

For the others that are more... passionate. The "crusaders" for a cause. Those are the actual easiest people to troll. Exposing a button to be pushed over and over. It happens in high school, it happens in jobs, it happens everywhere, it's a part of human nature; so of course it happens in the forum. How you deal with those in real life is how you deal with them over a forum (but with text). You either are part of the people that don't want to take it seriously (and therefore, troll), or someone smart that can pull out the real psychology behind the cause of the crusade and engage in something more productive.

P.S. Trolling is a art.
24120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / So. Cal
Offline
Posted 3/7/17
you can debate trolls, that's not what they're there for. Their endgame is to antagonize others by ignoring things like reason and facts. That's why they quickly resort to insults and slander. That's why I'm in the"ignore them or report them. Or just go over to their house and kill them and or their families." club.
317 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Somewhere in the...
Offline
Posted 3/7/17 , edited 3/7/17
I disagree with people saying not to talk to the trolls. Most trolls won't fall into group 1. When you ignore people who feel like they have a legitimate argument even though everyone else sees them as a troll, they start making claims like how everyone is biased and whatnot. This only increases the issue of people seeing them as a troll, resulting in an negative feedback loop.

Engage, but don't feed them. Here are suggestions for a (political?) debate:

  • If there is a troll attempting to distract or deflect, tell them that you'll talk about that other topic at a future time, but that it's not what you're talking about right now. If they insist on this other topic, make sure that you tie it back to the original point whenever you make an argument so that they can't corner you into arguing a point that you don't even agree with.

  • If they result to ad hominem attacks, attempt to rephrase what they said to you and make it sound like a logical argument, even if it's not. Then ask them if you understood them correctly, and to clarify if you did not. This can help calm the other person down and make them feel like they're accepted even if you don't agree with them.

  • Use PC language, even if the other side won't. It can seem ridiculous, but the more formal an argument is represented as, the more formal the participants will act.


  • If a type 1 troll feels like their trolling isn't working, they'll just leave, and type 3 trolls may also be swayed by the same tactics used for type 2 trolls.
    First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
    You must be logged in to post.