First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
BBC unaired interview: Anime is pedophilia and should be illegal
21548 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 3/9/17
Here is my contribution to the topic, Anime and Manga are mere expressions and thus works of fiction that can be limited to certain audience yet be free.
25601 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Northern Ireland
Offline
Posted 3/9/17
Meanwhile Scotland is sitting in the middle of it all like "what's the problem?".

For context, "graphic depictions of sexual acts depicting minors", real or animated, if the individuals are provable beyond all reasonable doubt to be a minor is what is illegal in the UK with the exception of Scotland where it is only illegal if it is a real human being and not if they are god damn cartoons.

By sheer merit of my own sexual preferences I don't get loli or shota porn at all but there are also people who get off on the risk of injury or death and we aren't all jumping out of our seats to ban their jollies and they are at very active risk of harm unlike the cartoon people that don't exist so I don't see the big deal :/
1235 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M
Offline
Posted 3/9/17
26126 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / FL
Offline
Posted 3/9/17



& The reason I agree with this thread is because...
31200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Massachusetts, Un...
Online
Posted 3/9/17
It's anime, not real life...
8164 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 3/10/17

namealreadytaken wrote:

why was this thread reported...?
UN already tried to ban certain manga in Japan, but Kumiko Yamada, representative of the Japanese wing of the Women’s Institute Of Contemporary Media Culture, basically told them the f-word, and her response was very satisfying.
female Japanese representative response



There is nothing to be gained from regulating fictional sexual violence. However, while you’re trying to fix the rights of fictional characters, you’re leaving the human rights of real women in the real world left to rot.


1463 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/10/17 , edited 3/10/17

Ejanss wrote:


SandyNewt wrote:

Being from the UK I can say the pedo hunt has gotten out of control now any man which so much as speaks to a child could be one. it's turned into a witch hunt of celebrities and soon common people and the covering up rape gangs yeah the media takes away the attention of them by going this famous kids celebrity is a massive pedo better ruin them before there is even a trial... honestly I'm surprised anime and manga lasted this long before being brandished that way it's sad really.


Heard there was a law at some UK theater chains actually banning adults from seeing "family movies" by themselves unless accompanied by their/a kid.


I ran a quick google search and couldn't come up with that law or anything like it, although I didn't search a long time. If anyone from the UK could chime in here, that would be awesome.



octorockandroll wrote:

I guess that's fair enough, though I think in general it's pretty easy to tell when something is intended to be erotic and when it isn't. I still think stuff like Boku no Pico or Kodomo no Jikan (please do not look that up if you already don't know what it is) should not be published over here (or at least censored) I'm all for freedom of expression, but when what's being expressed is criminal, that's where I draw the line.


"...when what's being expressed is criminal, that's where I draw the line." If you don't mind my asking, do you also believe that media depicting murder or robbery should also be done away with? If not, why?
17434 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 3/10/17

MacMeaties wrote:

Meanwhile Scotland is sitting in the middle of it all like "what's the problem?".

For context, "graphic depictions of sexual acts depicting minors", real or animated, if the individuals are provable beyond all reasonable doubt to be a minor is what is illegal in the UK with the exception of Scotland where it is only illegal if it is a real human being and not if they are god damn cartoons.

By sheer merit of my own sexual preferences I don't get loli or shota porn at all but there are also people who get off on the risk of injury or death and we aren't all jumping out of our seats to ban their jollies and they are at very active risk of harm unlike the cartoon people that don't exist so I don't see the big deal :/


I expect Scotland to end up following the rest of the UK though laws are always tested there first and the fear has spread this far North already. It honestly reminds me of the old piracy warnings that level of exaggeration... Also those consent adverts that imply every guy is a potential rapist and tell them not to be while also telling the girls they shouldn't put up with that stuff. Which I have nothing against the message the adverts are trying to say just more of how they say it it's got to the stage where saying that people jump at you condoning rape and stuff I honestly wouldn't be surprised if new "stranger danger" adverts came out telling children every grown up could potentially be trying to take advantage of them.
12115 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 3/10/17

foraslan wrote:


Ejanss wrote:


SandyNewt wrote:

Being from the UK I can say the pedo hunt has gotten out of control now any man which so much as speaks to a child could be one. it's turned into a witch hunt of celebrities and soon common people and the covering up rape gangs yeah the media takes away the attention of them by going this famous kids celebrity is a massive pedo better ruin them before there is even a trial... honestly I'm surprised anime and manga lasted this long before being brandished that way it's sad really.


Heard there was a law at some UK theater chains actually banning adults from seeing "family movies" by themselves unless accompanied by their/a kid.


I ran a quick google search and couldn't come up with that law or anything like it, although I didn't search a long time. If anyone from the UK could chime in here, that would be awesome.



octorockandroll wrote:

I guess that's fair enough, though I think in general it's pretty easy to tell when something is intended to be erotic and when it isn't. I still think stuff like Boku no Pico or Kodomo no Jikan (please do not look that up if you already don't know what it is) should not be published over here (or at least censored) I'm all for freedom of expression, but when what's being expressed is criminal, that's where I draw the line.


"...when what's being expressed is criminal, that's where I draw the line." If you don't mind my asking, do you also believe that media depicting murder or robbery should also be done away with? If not, why?


No, I don't think that, because posession of violent movies or books is not a criminal action and for good reason. That's a kind of media that is extremely less likely to be tied to illegal exploitation.

As for the theatre thing I too was unable to find any mention of such a law and frankly I doubt any free country would be able to pass such a law. I think Ejanss may have been thinking of a policy for a local theatre chain instead of actual legislation. Sort of like how in the states you have the same kind of policy with things like Chuck E. Cheese.
17434 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 3/10/17 , edited 3/10/17

foraslan wrote:


Ejanss wrote:


SandyNewt wrote:

Being from the UK I can say the pedo hunt has gotten out of control now any man which so much as speaks to a child could be one. it's turned into a witch hunt of celebrities and soon common people and the covering up rape gangs yeah the media takes away the attention of them by going this famous kids celebrity is a massive pedo better ruin them before there is even a trial... honestly I'm surprised anime and manga lasted this long before being brandished that way it's sad really.


Heard there was a law at some UK theater chains actually banning adults from seeing "family movies" by themselves unless accompanied by their/a kid.


I ran a quick google search and couldn't come up with that law or anything like it, although I didn't search a long time. If anyone from the UK could chime in here, that would be awesome.

From the UK I checked with my nearest cinema (VUE) out of curiosity this morning as they hold a kids event and I was curious as it honestly wouldn't surprise me at this point apparently it's fine by them unless you are a registered sex offender but I can't speak for all of them as I only have two near me and the other one isn't as big has different policies serves alcohol and stuff. That's the only in put I can give to this topic (as I'm sure I said yesterday) though I will ask people I know because as I say it doesn't surprise me at this point.

Sorry for messing up the quote hope you don't mind.
Ejanss 
16905 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/10/17 , edited 3/10/17

octorockandroll wrote:
As for the theatre thing I too was unable to find any mention of such a law and frankly I doubt any free country would be able to pass such a law. I think Ejanss may have been thinking of a policy for a local theatre chain instead of actual legislation. Sort of like how in the states you have the same kind of policy with things like Chuck E. Cheese.


Yeah, bad choice of words, think it was a big-announced policy with one of the major UK chains that started to spread to other chains. Only heard the news secondhand from another UK moviegoer who was convinced it was the same thing in every country.

Still, if AMC tried it over here, a nation of obsessed Moana, Zootopia, Pixar and Lego Batman fans would look at them as if they'd gone insane.
12115 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 3/10/17 , edited 3/10/17

Ejanss wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:
As for the theatre thing I too was unable to find any mention of such a law and frankly I doubt any free country would be able to pass such a law. I think Ejanss may have been thinking of a policy for a local theatre chain instead of actual legislation. Sort of like how in the states you have the same kind of policy with things like Chuck E. Cheese.


Yeah, bad choice of words, think it was a big-announced policy with one of the major UK chains that started to spread to other chains. Only heard the news secondhand from another UK moviegoer who was convinced it was the same thing in every country.

Still, if AMC tried it over here, a nation of obsessed Moana, Zootopia, Pixar and Lego Batman fans would look at them as if they'd gone insane.


Yeah. I would be pretty shocked if the theaters weren't hurt by that kind of dumb decision. Unless it's one chain that holds a monopoly.
16922 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 3/10/17 , edited 3/10/17

octorockandroll wrote:


Ejanss wrote:

Yeah, bad choice of words, think it was a big-announced policy with one of the major UK chains that started to spread to other chains. Only heard the news secondhand from another UK moviegoer who was convinced it was the same thing in every country.

Still, if AMC tried it over here, a nation of obsessed Moana, Zootopia, Pixar and Lego Batman fans would look at them as if they'd gone insane.


Yeah. I would be pretty shocked if the theaters weren't hurt by that kind of dumb decision. Unless it's one chain that holds a monopoly.


I don't go to the cinema much but I have not heard anything about it in the news or from colleagues. If true, I suspect that it must be very isolated or have more detail behind it than has been explained here.

A blanket ban on single people going to see certain films flies in the face of several equality laws and it would only be a matter of time before someone takes the cinema to court.
12115 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 3/10/17

MidoriNoTora wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:


Ejanss wrote:

Yeah, bad choice of words, think it was a big-announced policy with one of the major UK chains that started to spread to other chains. Only heard the news secondhand from another UK moviegoer who was convinced it was the same thing in every country.

Still, if AMC tried it over here, a nation of obsessed Moana, Zootopia, Pixar and Lego Batman fans would look at them as if they'd gone insane.


Yeah. I would be pretty shocked if the theaters weren't hurt by that kind of dumb decision. Unless it's one chain that holds a monopoly.


I don't go to the cinema much but I have not heard anything about it in the news or from colleagues. If true, I suspect that it must be very isolated or have more detail behind it than has been explained here.

A blanket ban on single people going to see certain films flies in the face of several equality laws and it would only be a matter of time before someone takes the cinema to court.


I think they have a case for it though, I mean it may be different for the UK but in just about every other place I've been to age restrictions like that aren't anything new (again, going back to the Chuck E. Cheese example) I don't know what is actually happening with the theatres that are allegedly doing this though, so eh.
16922 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 3/10/17

octorockandroll wrote:

I think they have a case for it though, I mean it may be different for the UK but in just about every other place I've been to age restrictions like that aren't anything new (again, going back to the Chuck E. Cheese example) I don't know what is actually happening with the theatres that are allegedly doing this though, so eh.


I've not heard about Chuck E Cheese, so I don't know how that relates to this situation.

In the UK the only age restriction in cinemas is minimum age. A child cannot go to see an 18 certificate film, for example. On the other hand, a 60 year old can go see a "U" (universal - open to anyone) certificate film. Age and gender discrimination laws would prevent segregation as described here. The only legal grounds I can see for restricting access would be if the person is on the sex offenders register.

A legal way of encouraging a similar effect would be for the cinema to offer family-friendly rates at certain times and singles-friendly rates at other times. You couldn't force segregation but market forces would do most of the work for you. However I have not heard of that policy either.

I suspect this is either a case of misunderstanding the original source of the story or someone playing a joke. A similar story was in the news recently where a cinema in Ireland joked about banning single men from the latest Fifty Shades film. The ban never took place but it got some publicity for the cinema. That story may be the inspiration for this topic about a UK singles ban.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.