First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply Why is Sakura so hated?
1065 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/15/17

AnimeClub101 wrote:

hello everybody


Hi.
9 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 3/15/17
You still keep asking why do people hate her, you also KNOW why peope hate her and you still keep asking "why" I mean...YOU KNOW "why"
1065 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/15/17

xxJing wrote:

Sakura is poorly written, so is Sasuke, though he is actually fairly well written in Boruto.

However, I think what gets to me the most is that she is still in love with Sasuke at around the 90% mark of Naruto... after he has shown that he is simply a rageaholic who doesn't give a shit about her and would kill her without any second thought. You have to be a special level of stupid to keep chasing after someone like that. Honestly, I kind of wish Sasuke did kill her, it would make much more sense than him being redeemed and her marrying him. :/ Just alluding to that level of stupidity has made my IQ drop a few points.


I'm guessing you don't like a good redemption story then? Sasuke was simply one of those characters that did bad things on the scale of "he's gonna kill the guy who searched for him for three years" and "he's gonna kill the world's leaders" Terrible, easily, but not irredeemable. Also, please, don't just blindly deny you don't like them. I won't judge you for it.
1065 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/15/17

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Self pity is tiresome to watch.


It is? Why?
1065 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/15/17

BlueOni wrote:

Yeah, why do people hate me so much?


-Some hate Sakura for being useless; understandable because no screen time


Isn't that the truth? I kept demanding rewrites to give me more to do, better lines, and more opportunities to showcase my talents, and I don't even know how many times I shouted myself hoarse in arguments with my agent about renegotiating my contract. I was just starting my career, so I didn't have much in the way of leverage or alternatives. That's what it came down to. I got what I got, and you see what that was.


-Some hate Sakura for being whiny; understandable because I hate whiny people too


You'd whine after a while, too. Do you have any idea what I had to put up with? Choji always eating the whole damned crew's buffet by himself every day, Naruto making asinine jokes and hitting on me constantly even between takes, special effects crews always flinging rocks, and dust, and fog, and snow, and water in your face, it was all I could do not to fling a kunai into the camera some days!


-Some hate Sakura for being self-pitying; understandable when it's too much, but I kinda don't get this one


I'm not self-pitying. I'm not! Why are people always so unfair to me? Why do they judge me like this? Why can't they just leave me alone?


-Some hate Sakura for being a jerk to Naruto; I guess some people see violence instead of slapstick comedy


I could've filed for a restraining order against the guy who kept hitting on me after my having rejected him thousands of times, but then I'd have been out of a job because we'd have lost our main protagonist. So I dealt with the problem in my own way. Sorry it bothered everyone, I guess.


-Some hate Sakura for being in love with Sasuke; I suppose he isn't a very good person for most of the series


You know, I never actually loved Sasuke. It was more a case of being in love with the idea of being in love. You know? And that's why it didn't die down no matter how horrible Sasuke was to me. It can happen to the best of us. We all make mistakes.


Nice satire, but you still didn't help me understand any of these sentiments. Nice try, though. It's not as if we can all see this as the plain truth. I suppose it's just assumed to be because so many people agree...
1065 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/15/17

Elk_Whisperer wrote:

Sakura is FUCKING USELESS


What's so bad about a useless character? Useless words in a story, I get. Useless details in a picture, I get. But a character being useless as a character is different from them being useless as a plot device. Which one are you talking about? I can totally understand the plot device one, but I wouldn't hate the character for it, so that's one place where I'm confused...
1065 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/15/17

xxJing wrote:

Sakura is poorly written, so is Sasuke, though he is actually fairly well written in Boruto.

However, I think what gets to me the most is that she is still in love with Sasuke at around the 90% mark of Naruto... after he has shown that he is simply a rageaholic who doesn't give a shit about her and would kill her without any second thought. You have to be a special level of stupid to keep chasing after someone like that. Honestly, I kind of wish Sasuke did kill her, it would make much more sense than him being redeemed and her marrying him. :/ Just alluding to that level of stupidity has made my IQ drop a few points.


What constitutes "poorly written" to you? I want to see your point.
xxJing 
40438 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 3/15/17
In Sakura's defense though, it's difficult to find a well written female character in a Shonen manga.

The only ones that come to mind immediately are Miho and Kaya from Bakuman. Some people may complain that they don't do the whole 'strong independent woman' thing but what they do do really well is 'behind every great man there is a great woman' thing. Meaning that without both Kaya and Miho, the series wouldn't have gone anywhere, that is how important they are as supporting characters.

None of the Big 3 have any female characters that are that integral to the plot. In Naruto, Hinata is basically just there to fawn over Naruto, and same with Sakura and Sasuke. With One Piece, Robin and Nami had their arcs, but they have been extremely marginalized outside of those. Bleach as far as the anime goes felt like the same thing, Rukia and Orihime both thrown into the damsel in distress position and then slowly ignored.

Even Attack on Titan, as much as people love Mikasa, you could replace her with a magical sword and you'd get the same effect. She has no inherent worth as a male character much less a female character.

So in actuality the only thing that really plagues Sakura is that she is noticeably annoying.

510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / California
Offline
Posted 3/15/17
I like Sakura, but the creator ruined her.
xxJing 
40438 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 3/15/17

TheSeaofTesseract wrote:


xxJing wrote:

Sakura is poorly written, so is Sasuke, though he is actually fairly well written in Boruto.

However, I think what gets to me the most is that she is still in love with Sasuke at around the 90% mark of Naruto... after he has shown that he is simply a rageaholic who doesn't give a shit about her and would kill her without any second thought. You have to be a special level of stupid to keep chasing after someone like that. Honestly, I kind of wish Sasuke did kill her, it would make much more sense than him being redeemed and her marrying him. :/ Just alluding to that level of stupidity has made my IQ drop a few points.


What constitutes "poorly written" to you? I want to see your point.



TheSeaofTesseract wrote:


xxJing wrote:

Sakura is poorly written, so is Sasuke, though he is actually fairly well written in Boruto.

However, I think what gets to me the most is that she is still in love with Sasuke at around the 90% mark of Naruto... after he has shown that he is simply a rageaholic who doesn't give a shit about her and would kill her without any second thought. You have to be a special level of stupid to keep chasing after someone like that. Honestly, I kind of wish Sasuke did kill her, it would make much more sense than him being redeemed and her marrying him. :/ Just alluding to that level of stupidity has made my IQ drop a few points.


I'm guessing you don't like a good redemption story then? Sasuke was simply one of those characters that did bad things on the scale of "he's gonna kill the guy who searched for him for three years" and "he's gonna kill the world's leaders" Terrible, easily, but not irredeemable. Also, please, don't just blindly deny you don't like them. I won't judge you for it.


Poorly written suggests that the character doesn't really add anything to the story. In the case of Sakura, you could remove her entirely and the story would remain largely the same.

As an example, what Sakura does the most is just worry about and pine after Sasuke. This affects Sasuke in no way whatsoever, he doesn't give a shit, at all. He gives a shit about Naruto, as Naruto causes Sasuke to question himself. But Sakura, not at all. If she was Naruto's love interest, then maybe she could have gotten some worth, but even then considering that Hinata's entire existence is basically just being Naruto's love interest, and that is it. It wouldn't be much. Kishimoto sucks horribly at writing female characters. Basically, neither Hinata nor Sakura really mean anything to the story. They are replaceable. Sakura is just more annoying than Hinata.

Sasuke is irredeemable though, because he showed that he didn't give a shit about anyone. He wanted to kill Itachi because he thought Itachi killed his family, okay that is fine as a plot. Then he wants to kill Danzo because he suggested to Itachi to destroy Uchiha, which Itachi did of his own accord after he realized there was no other way. He should want to kill both Danzo and Itachi, they were both equally at fault for Uchiha's destruction here. He also wants to kill all the villagers, because they didn't know about the top secret plan to destroy Uchiha. He is really stretching it now, kill all his friends because they didn't stop something that they had no idea about... That's just stupid writing. What really makes him irredeemable is that he was willing to have Sakura kill Karin, Karin who would do anything for Sasuke, as a test of Sakura's loyalty, and then when she stuttered, he decided he would kill her too. He doesn't give a shit about his friends one moment, and then the next not only does he, but he's married to a girl he tried to murder without second thought for no other reason than she was in his way? He also tried to murder another girl who was completely loyal to him, for no other reason than he thought her to be expendable. You don't get the privilege of redemption after pulling that shit.
24096 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Oppai Hell
Online
Posted 3/15/17

TheSeaofTesseract wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Self pity is tiresome to watch.


It is? Why?


In the context of the show, she wasn't the worst off, or even anything I considered to be "bad". It is the equivalent of a preteen temper tantrum when their idol begins dating another famous figure that isn't them. There is a bit of realism to this, but realism is hardly a saving grace in the realm of entertainment. Anyone who ever watched a video of a similarly reasoned meltdown are annoyed, because they have no realistic expectation or knowledge of love, or who they should love. (Can't control who you fall in love with is hardly valid science for most mentally capable people.) If anyone thinks I take this as "good" drama is kidding themselves. We are subjected to many episodes of non existent development in her character, when most of her drama concerns her more than Sasuke. This goes on for 220 episodes, minus a hundred filler or so. There is no development in her character, and most of the drama that happens after Sasuke left is in her head, so to speak.

In essence, Sakura's main problem is that it is doused in loads of self centered pity, that is neither justified because she is an immature teen who should get over this, for anyone to sympathize with her, and this essentially is her entire character, without any real contribution to canon or even non canon fights. Her fighting style had less uniqueness than Ten-Ten at this point till the start of Shippuden where for two years she trained under Tsunade. Up until Shippuden, she was just a "normal" ninja, a background character at best, brought to the forefront. She is highly intelligent, but she never uses it. In fact, she never uses it once, which may be because she is starkingly average among other Ninja's, even those below the IQ of Shikamaru.
1065 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/15/17

AnimeClub101 wrote:

kind true like i like sakura when it come to like funny moments and stuff but as a character she was one of the stupidest people i know in the entire anime like who would love somebody for that long and not give up no matter what he did plus he tried to kill her and she still was in love with him plus iv`e always been a fan of narutoxhinata from the start but why didn`t sakura love naruto ? after all he has done for her he`s saved her life countless times and even said it to her plus sai told her to that naruto loved her and his words were sai- Naruto loved you even i can tell that. that`s what he said and she started crying all. god all this talking is making sound like a geek Lol well anyway i`ll say this i like sakura but she did alot of things that made me mad.


Well, I like to think that, if we don't like the ending, that's what fanfiction is for.

Anyway, as for the whole "didn't give up on Sasuke" thing, let me say something. I think part of her motivation was pity for him. However, I also think that another part of her motivation is the extent to which their relationship went before Sasuke left. In the Academy, yes, she put him on a pedestal, and, yes, she is very boring that way. However, you can't deny that she did get past that through all the shit she went through with him. It's kind of like saying you love baking sweets then working in a bakery and realizing that you like the management aspect of runnign a bakery business (something you didn't know was there before) and eating sweets (the reality instead of the generalization of "all things sweets are good") better. She worked with him and actually acquired experience of being with him instead of making him the prize for winning her rivalry with Ino, which both disillusioned her from thinking of him as the best person in her life (kinda similar to but also different from Naruto, of whom she had a very bad impression during the Academy but whom she later realized to be a stronger shinobi and person than she had thought him capable of being) and showed her something she liked about Sasuke (it is there, even if you don't see it during his "kill the kage" phase) that she knew would still be there no matter what happened. Yes, Sasuke ends up going from "hurt and tortured" to "bloodthirsty maniac," but you can't deny that he's always been logical, which is proof that some of his traits stuck with him.

Another thing: Sasuke is very logical in thinking, if paranoid and emotional. Many things he did, he started doing because he thought they were right, even though most of the time his emotions swayed his judgement. He vowed to kill his brother because, as a very naive young boy, he took to heart the idea (note I did not say "fact") that the person who took away his family was wholeheartedly evil (and as he grew older he started thinking of it as "right" to kill Itachi). He vowed to destroy Konoha after learning what actually happened with Itachi because he thought it was unfair that the people who made his brother do what he did got to live while Itachi ended up dead (and the fact that Sasuke himself killed him did not matter to him, because he was more concerned with why Itachi was forced to massacre the clan and be branded a traitor in the first place) and because he does not have the kind of fortitude needed to resist such mental stress (unlike Naruto, who took learning about the "horrible" Nine Tails inside him rather well for a 12 year old). He said he would kill Danzo because he narrowed down the problem to just him, not "him, his followers, his private guard, and his village" (again, with emotion swaying his judgement). He said he would kill the Kage because he believed, with everything he had experienced, that the former leaders that were tied to the past were the problem, as he believed the past to be "failed" (no, he did not learn from history, but it's unreasonable to expect anything to make him think about what may have happened similarly in the past and why it may have failed) and that making everyone forget that past would solve the problem.

By the way, most of this post wasn't referring to you specifically... I just kinda started going off on a tangent once I started typing...
24096 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Oppai Hell
Online
Posted 3/15/17
To add on, she did get better, but her appearance was largely reduced as time went on, especially after Sasuke killed Danzo at the Kage Summit, compared to the first show. There is some understanding, seeing as we're just a few arcs from the world war with many characters thrown in the fray, but this hurts her immensely, and her plot important appearance were nonexistent.


xxJing 
40438 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 3/15/17

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

To add on, she did get better, but her appearance was largely reduced as time went on, especially after Sasuke killed Danzo at the Kage Summit, compared to the first show. There is some understanding, seeing as we're just a few arcs from the world war with many characters thrown in the fray, but this hurts her immensely, and her plot important appearance were nonexistent.




She's not alone though, I'd say that the only female characters that are really important to the plot are Naruto's Mother, Tsunade, and of all people Temari.

Temari actually has a really positive effect on both Shikamaru and Gaara.
35613 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 3/16/17

TheSeaofTesseract wrote:


xxJing wrote:

Sakura is poorly written, so is Sasuke, though he is actually fairly well written in Boruto.

However, I think what gets to me the most is that she is still in love with Sasuke at around the 90% mark of Naruto... after he has shown that he is simply a rageaholic who doesn't give a shit about her and would kill her without any second thought. You have to be a special level of stupid to keep chasing after someone like that. Honestly, I kind of wish Sasuke did kill her, it would make much more sense than him being redeemed and her marrying him. :/ Just alluding to that level of stupidity has made my IQ drop a few points.


I'm guessing you don't like a good redemption story then? Sasuke was simply one of those characters that did bad things on the scale of "he's gonna kill the guy who searched for him for three years" and "he's gonna kill the world's leaders" Terrible, easily, but not irredeemable. Also, please, don't just blindly deny you don't like them. I won't judge you for it.


I love good redemption stories. I almost always love the villain turning good writing technique. But Sasuke's really wasn't good.

Naruto Spoilers:

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.