First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Crunchyroll Android App Update: Introducing the Manga Shop!
19209 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / The Netherlands
Offline
Posted 3/20/17 , edited 11/2/17
Did anybody ever even ask for this service? I sure as hell didn't.
You would think they would try to make their existing manga service better instead. Makes you wonder what you're even paying for.
30102 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Georgia
Online
Posted 3/21/17 , edited 11/2/17
Nice to see manga for sale...

But in Mexico your e-books are more expensive than buying the manga at Amazon...
36 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bauru,São Paulo,B...
Offline
Posted 3/21/17
Porque não deixa no navegar tambem?
27021 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 3/25/17 , edited 3/25/17
When I first read the news I thought CR Premium Manga was finally available offline now. I was wrong.
4053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / America
Offline
Posted 3/25/17
I would love a iOS app I dont have a google phone or tablet
5345 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 3/25/17 , edited 3/25/17

erictbar wrote:

Given my experience with your manga streaming service (app issues, delays, missing pages, lack of support) I don't think I could ever trust buying manga directly from Crunchyroll.

I don't know if this means you will be ending your streaming service when this leaves beta, but, if not, fix it and prove you can support manga both streaming and digital download.


This is kind of my feeling. I love the using the manga app, but the frequent crashes, and glitches really detract from the experience, to say nothing of the many quality of life issues the app has. Personally, I would gladly pay a separate subscription fee for a solid app, provided they increased the amount of available manga.

I might check the service out, but I'm not really planning to spend $8 for a manga that's gonna take me a few hours to finish. Especially since I don't really know what I'm getting until I've already paid my money.

Edit: Correction: the manga is $12.99. Absolutely no way I'm wasting money on this service when most of these manga are available on Amazon (in physical form) for less.
76162 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / NE Ohio | Beijing
Offline
Posted 3/25/17 , edited 3/25/17

Kuroitaiyo wrote: When I first read the news I thought CR Premium Manga was finally available offline now. I was wrong.

Yeah, no, that's not going to happen. The Japanese see digital downloads as an alternative to physical copies for those who prefer to save the space or have the convenience of multiple titles on their phone/tablet without the weight and bulk of carrying manga around.

~~~~~~~~~~~

instrumental20 wrote: Did anybody ever even ask for this service? I sure as hell didn't.

Lot's of people over the year have asked for manga downloads.

Obviously, few of them had manga downloads at the price of physical manga in mind, but that's what the Japanese publishers think of when they think of downloads.

~~~~~~~~~~~

TheExile285 wrote: Wouldn't it have more sense to implement this into Crunchyroll manga app rather than the anime app?

Got to be quite a bit more anime apps in use than manga apps ... add it to the manga app, and a big chunk of the target market is missed.

And for those who are "I don't use the manga app because I need to be able to read manga offline" ... the same reason they'd want to use the shop is the same reason they are not likely to have the manga app or else not likely to use it very often.

Ideally, it would be in both, but the first commercial problem to solve is the massive price gap between online reading and the price of building up an e-collection. They need a "3 day rental for $1" kind of option. The ideal would have a "rent to own" system, where if you buy a download of an emanga you've rented once or twice, the rental payment is deducted from the purchase price.



14 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 3/26/17 , edited 3/29/17
I wonder, is that $8/$13 price acceptable in the US market?
Because brand new physical release cost $5 in Poland.
3127 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Sweden
Offline
Posted 3/27/17
Would be great if there was a "manga qeue", also why is it so that i can buy etc. Attaack o tiotan vol. 1 but not read it?
51246 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
61 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 3/27/17 , edited 4/1/17

Golgeson wrote:

Would be great if there was a "manga qeue", also why is it so that i can buy etc. Attaack o tiotan vol. 1 but not read it?


The Apple and Android apps for phones and tablets have "bookmarks" in them which sort of function as a queue, but yes, it would be nice for the web reader to have those, too..

Purchasing the title in a downloadable format is a different license than the publisher allowing something to be viewed online.

At the beginning of CR's manga service, the early volumes for AOT and Fairy Tail were temporarily available, but the publisher only allowed that for three months presumably as a promotion/incentive to get collectors to actually buy, at the time, hard copies, and now digital ones.

Rather than repeat the explanation from earlier: /forumtopic-901963/attack-on-titan-manga-incomplete#50059079
8308 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / within Berlin C zone
Offline
Posted 3/29/17

BlueCatPK wrote:

I wonder, is that $8/$13 price acceptable in the US market?
Because brand new physical release cost $5 in Poland.


same here, if i can't save at least 50% discount on a digital copy of something i can get as printed version, then i don't even bother with the digital.
also how can digital be treated like print ? you cut out the whole cost point of printing, packing an shipping.
inb4 "hurr durr but scanning and providing space online is equally expensive" ... i call BS, cause suddenly you can sell an infinite number of copies, try that with printed stuff
13558 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Offline
Posted 3/29/17 , edited 3/29/17

BlueCatPK wrote:

I wonder, is that $8/$13 price acceptable in the US market?
Because brand new physical release cost $5 in Poland.


you can buy a regular size manga in physical form for $7 (sometimes less) or $13 for an A5-size manga (like kiniro or gochuusagi)
this is on kinokuniya. if you import on Amazon Japan and buy a lot of volumes, you'll probably end up saving a buck or two.
people in Japan pay an equivalent to $3 - $4 for a manga volume. the extra cost is due costs in importing the manga (cost of shipping + paying the import duties)
digital manga has no such import / duty fees, so a price tag of $13 is just...lol. no thanks!

edit:

asharka wrote:


Golgeson wrote:

Would be great if there was a "manga qeue", also why is it so that i can buy etc. Attaack o tiotan vol. 1 but not read it?


The Apple and Android apps for phones and tablets have "bookmarks" in them which sort of function as a queue, but yes, it would be nice for the web reader to have those, too..

Purchasing the title in a downloadable format is a different license than the publisher allowing something to be viewed online.

At the beginning of CR's manga service, the early volumes for AOT and Fairy Tail were temporarily available, but the publisher only allowed that for three months presumably as a promotion/incentive to get collectors to actually buy, at the time, hard copies, and now digital ones.

Rather than repeat the explanation from earlier: /forumtopic-901963/attack-on-titan-manga-incomplete#50059079


i just noticed that Amazon US lets you read volume 1 of AoT for free (if you have prime)
the other volumes are like $7- $8 kindle edition
15938 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Western Europe
Offline
Posted 4/2/17
Someone needs to explain to Kodansha that you can't sell digital for the same price as print. They do it on Comixology too and it's just baffling. I only buy digital to see if it's good enough to get in print. No way am I laying down the same cash twice. It has to be at least 40-50% cheaper in digital before I'll consider buying it.

It would be cool if Paypal was added as a payment option. Also adding more publishers who understand what's up (Viz Media; Yen Press; Dark Horse Manga) would be awesome as it would make Comixology obsolete for me.

13558 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Offline
Posted 4/2/17 , edited 4/2/17

Suhkitty wrote:
I only buy digital to see if it's good enough to get in print.

most of the time, you can see a preview of the manga for free (and legally) on the web.
just search for manga name + 試し読み

edit: this is for the raws, but you can at least see if you like the artwork used.
15938 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Western Europe
Offline
Posted 4/2/17

namealreadytaken wrote:


Suhkitty wrote:
I only buy digital to see if it's good enough to get in print.

most of the time, you can see a preview of the manga for free (and legally) on the web.
just search for manga name + 試し読み

edit: this is for the raws, but you can at least see if you like the artwork used.


Thanks for the info! I may give that a go. Though I like getting an idea of the story too. In case the mangaka decides to pull a Bunny Drop and ruin it. Though you can't actually get that far ahead without losing money, I think some publishers are more customer friendly than others when it comes to previews. DH Manga had the digital edition of the first Card Captor Sakura Omnibus at a super discounted price. With only 4 omnibus editions, I got up to 1/4th of the story for a fraction of the print price. So now I'm trying to decide if I'll continue reading digital (at 50% off) or if I'll just get the print editions (I may end up wanting them after all). Either way I feel more confident throwing money at stuff when I have more info (Kodansha does ok with offering the first chapter for free but then they go and charge the same price for digital as they do for print and that's just a rip off.)
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.