First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next  Last
Buddhism
Posted 2/15/08
hmmm.........i think buddhism is way too pessimistic......yeah good message, karma, no killing, and what not. but i dislike the part that you aim to not exist >_> that what you strive for is a state of nothingness (nirvana) and therefore becoming one with everything.......right? anyways, the actual mythology of it is cool and stuff, you know asuras, bodhistavvas, and all the other interesting things.........but ultimately, i dont believe that any one philosophy can teach the people how to cope with the constraints that the vicissitudes of the world puts upon human kind, cause growth is measured by the new experiences you have right? and since buddhism is so inwardly focused, it cant be all good for you can it?, although......Siddhartha Gautama must of been some kinda awesome guy to be able to spread his ideals so far, with no wars or conquests uttered under his name, like *cough* some other religions out there >_>
4769 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
76 / M
Offline
Posted 2/15/08 , edited 4/18/08

AHTL wrote:

Only bad thing I know of about Buddhism is how women are treated.. I mean, the women there dream of being reborn as a man for a reason! ._.


aww....duh they dont want to get FUCK
4769 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
76 / M
Offline
Posted 2/15/08 , edited 4/18/08
at least this religion doesnt teach u to hate other religion like christianity
20105 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / London-England
Offline
Posted 2/15/08 , edited 4/18/08
I love the idea of Buddihsm, its the thing i think happens the most.. however I cant be bothered to properly follow it.. some of it i dont agree with though.. like the eight fold path..
40 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 2/15/08 , edited 4/18/08
I'm a Buddhist 2 n I believe in it. I find very peaceful whenever I meditate and when I hear Buddha's teachings. I think I'm free fr wanting this and that. Though I'm not really into duing religious things.
Ghost Moderator
AHTL 
87723 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / Norway
Online
Posted 2/15/08 , edited 4/18/08

KarenMeg wrote:

I'm a Buddhist 2 n I believe in it. I find very peaceful whenever I meditate and when I hear Buddha's teachings. I think I'm free fr wanting this and that. Though I'm not really into duing religious things.


doing*

Hhhhh... GRAMMAR NAZI TO THE RESCUE!

*flies off to correct other people's writings*
Posted 2/15/08 , edited 4/18/08
My family is Buddhist, but I gave up on religion. I get hell for wearing cross earring, muahahaaa

89 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 2/15/08 , edited 4/18/08
Buddhism is a pretty awesome religion, as it goes. It teaches peace, tranquility, and removing the poisons of greed, ignorance and hatred. There are no supreme beings to believe in, so it's pretty easy to follow the religion and believe that almost everything is true.
The Noble Eightfold Path is, however, contradictory in places. E.g. Euthanasia - Right Action (1st Moral Precept - "I agree to abstain from taking life") would say that you can't practise euthanasia, whereas Right Intention would justify it, because you are doing it to put another human out of pain.
There are contradictory points in lots of religions, though, so I'd still say that Buddhism is an awesome religion to follow if you wanted to.
405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Behind you O_O
Offline
Posted 2/15/08 , edited 4/18/08
Well first i am Buddhist and i dont realy think buddhisme as a religion. Am doing ritual sometime but it just for paying respect to buddha and his teaching because what he teaches us. Its not something supernatural being. Buddha was a human to that so different aspect of life and wanna give up the so call "good life". Well if someone mean buddhisme have done something wrong like leading a war and stuff like that then it just using it like Christianity and Islam. in Middle-age christianity ruled and killed many people because they didnt belive in it but they USED christianity to take controll and get many followers its the same with terrorist using Islam. I grew up in a place where it was ALOT of middle-east people. I allmost only knew Islam people they nice like other people but as many know they take religion seriously so they sold me alot about Islam even tryed ti make me Islam . But most religion come's to one thing teaching to not doing something wrong. Back to Buddisme well like i said for me buddhisme is more l ike a princip or understanding of life. Like understanding true love.
This i got from jetli.com webside of reading hes philosophy and this one was very intersting understanding of true love if you want to read more about action star Jet li philosophy then click on this link http://www.jetli.com/jet/index.php?s=spirit&ss=questions&l=en ^^ its very amazing weive of life he has.

Dear Jet Li,

First of all, I would like to say that I admire you and look up to you for your convictions and the path of life you walk. It's not easy whatsoever, and I know willpower like that does not come easy. You are definetly someone worth looking up to, not just for your martial arts expertise, but more so for your lifestyle.

Ok, now for my questions:

1) I don't know much about Tibetian Buddism, but from what you say, it's all about love. But love is also coupled with pains, such as heartbreak, and the like. How do you deal with things like that? And do you think it is possible to simply love and not want anything back? Those two questions are two of which I have been dwelling on for years.

2) I'm sure you get this a lot, but I couldn't find the answer anywhere: the say to truly master anything, you have to be able to teach it. Do you ever plan on opening up a dojo or a school of somesort sometime?

That's about it: once again, thank you for just being you. It helps to know that there are people who stand by their convictions in this world, even when surrounded by the kinds of temptations this world offers.

- Sincerely,
Bobby R.
Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.

Jet's Response:
Many times, people use the word "love" but do not understand what it means. They will say "I love this car" or "I love these shoes", but that isn't love. You don't love those things -- you "want" them. You want to own them. True Love is a gift.

Sometimes a person might say "I love this girl/boy", but in actuality they mean "I want this girl". Many of the things in this world -- money, material power, people -- you might want them to belong to you, but that isn't True Love. You don't love those things -- you love the idea of ownership of those things. You love what you think ownership will mean to you. Perhaps having that car means freedom ... or security ... or some other emotional state ... but ultimately it is just a desire for whatever that "thing" means to you. Do you love the girl/boy or do you love what being with that person means to you? True Love is a gift given to others. There is no sacrifice with True Love. Their happiness brings about your own happiness. It is important to be clear on the differences in True Love versus desire for ownership. It is also important to understand that True Love and romantic love are different things too. Sometimes they are coupled together, but you can have one without the other.

When True love and material desire are against each other, True Love will always win. For example, if you truly love someone, and they would like something that you own, you will gladly give it to them. True love has no ownership ... it has no self ... no personal desire ... it is only given as a gift. It is not something you want for yourself. There are no attachments, and with no attachments, there is no pain. If your girlfriend or boyfriend leaves you and you have True Love for them, you want only what makes them happy, even if it's not in your personal best interests. Attachments to your best interests aren't as important to you as their happiness. You are happy if they break up with you if it will make them happier. If you just have the love of attachment, or just have romantic love without True Love, then that loss hurts because you are thinking of your own personal loss of ownership or attachment with that person. True love is obviously not as common in today's world.

A person might love their clothes ... or might love practicing martial arts ... but if their True Love says "I want you to stop those things and move with me to New York" then you will stop them and move. In Buddhist thought, the highest level of Love is selfless unconditional giving. That is why Buddhists meditate -- to understand themselves. It is their hope that, through understanding themselves, they will understand the truth of their life. They will see that nothing in this world is truly ours and that ownership is simply an illusion of the mind. In understanding the impermanence of things, they divorce themselves from attachments, perspectives and postition -- they can achieve "wu ji", or neutrality. Seeing through the illusion of ownership allows you to give, unconditionally, of yourself to others, and to demonstrate the qualities of True Love.

And to answer your second question, no, I have not considered opening a martial arts school.

604 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
76
Offline
Posted 2/15/08 , edited 4/18/08

jon-christ wrote:

Buddhism is a pretty awesome religion, as it goes. It teaches peace, tranquility, and removing the poisons of greed, ignorance and hatred. There are no supreme beings to believe in, so it's pretty easy to follow the religion and believe that almost everything is true.
The Noble Eightfold Path is, however, contradictory in places. E.g. Euthanasia - Right Action (1st Moral Precept - "I agree to abstain from taking life") would say that you can't practise euthanasia, whereas Right Intention would justify it, because you are doing it to put another human out of pain.
There are contradictory points in lots of religions, though, so I'd still say that Buddhism is an awesome religion to follow if you wanted to.


I think you've been mistaken. You can never justify taking a life. Right Intention would not justify it. Buddhists believe in Karma and the person laying there dying is because of his/her Karma. You can help him/her to overcome the bad Karma but you can never practice euthanasia or kill.
955 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / MA
Offline
Posted 2/15/08 , edited 4/18/08
I thinks its dumb, if we've got an increasing population of humans, insects, rats, ..., where do these new souls come from. There just aren't enough things dying
405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Behind you O_O
Offline
Posted 2/15/08 , edited 4/18/08
this sentence is very inspiring : If your girlfriend or boyfriend leaves you and you have True Love for them, you want only what makes them happy, even if it's not in your personal best interests. Attachments to your best interests aren't as important to you as their happiness. You are happy if they break up with you if it will make them happier. If you just have the love of attachment, or just have romantic love without True Love, then that loss hurts because you are thinking of your own personal loss of ownership or attachment with that person.
89 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 2/15/08 , edited 4/18/08

nta2005 wrote:



jon-christ wrote:

Buddhism is a pretty awesome religion, as it goes. It teaches peace, tranquility, and removing the poisons of greed, ignorance and hatred. There are no supreme beings to believe in, so it's pretty easy to follow the religion and believe that almost everything is true.
The Noble Eightfold Path is, however, contradictory in places. E.g. Euthanasia - Right Action (1st Moral Precept - "I agree to abstain from taking life") would say that you can't practise euthanasia, whereas Right Intention would justify it, because you are doing it to put another human out of pain.
There are contradictory points in lots of religions, though, so I'd still say that Buddhism is an awesome religion to follow if
you wanted to.



I think you've been mistaken. You can never justify taking a life. Right Intention would not justify it. Buddhists believe in Karma and the person laying there dying is because of his/her Karma. You can help him/her to overcome the bad Karma but you can never practice euthanasia or kill.


I know that bad Karma and the 1st Moral Precept would take precedence over Right Intention, but I was simply stating that Right Intention could possibly be used to partly justify it, because it could be seen as putting another human out of pain (i.e. through Motor Neurone disease)
962 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / dgs
Offline
Posted 2/15/08 , edited 4/18/08

crispyfly wrote:

im buhhist and im cool with and i like how it's not really strict as other religions
and is it against homosexuality?


nope, its not against homosexuality.

buddhism practice tolerance.


toelovehan wrote:


anime_otaku-nerd wrote:
On special occasions, we burn money. Not real money, but one with a square in the middle that is god, while the other side of the paper also has a square in the middle is silver. Theres also those long pieces of whitish paper. And then theres money that well, actually looks like money. We fold the money together such as a combination of 1 piece of those papers with squares in the middle, a few long whitish paper, and money.

We have this red coloured metal "pot", it's pretty big and it has a top thingy. My mom would have a lighter and she would light one of the stacks of paper and throw it in, the fire would start burning inside the metal pot. Then we'd slowly put the other combinations of paper inside. I love this part. My dad uses a nearby stick or whatever he can find the sometimes poke at the paper so it'd spread out and burn quicker.


Isn't that more of a Chinese tradition than a Buddhist tradition? This is very often done in Singapore, Malaysia and Taiwan during the Hungry Ghost Festival to pray to our ancestors, give them money to use in Hell and feed the 'Hungry Ghosts' ._.


Singaporean mostly practice a mix of buddhism, taoism and confucism. burning paper money is actually a taoism practice.
604 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
76
Offline
Posted 2/15/08 , edited 4/18/08

jon-christ wrote:


nta2005 wrote:



jon-christ wrote:

Buddhism is a pretty awesome religion, as it goes. It teaches peace, tranquility, and removing the poisons of greed, ignorance and hatred. There are no supreme beings to believe in, so it's pretty easy to follow the religion and believe that almost everything is true.
The Noble Eightfold Path is, however, contradictory in places. E.g. Euthanasia - Right Action (1st Moral Precept - "I agree to abstain from taking life") would say that you can't practise euthanasia, whereas Right Intention would justify it, because you are doing it to put another human out of pain.
There are contradictory points in lots of religions, though, so I'd still say that Buddhism is an awesome religion to follow if
you wanted to.



I think you've been mistaken. You can never justify taking a life. Right Intention would not justify it. Buddhists believe in Karma and the person laying there dying is because of his/her Karma. You can help him/her to overcome the bad Karma but you can never practice euthanasia or kill.


I know that bad Karma and the 1st Moral Precept would take precedence over Right Intention, but I was simply stating that Right Intention could possibly be used to partly justify it, because it could be seen as putting another human out of pain (i.e. through Motor Neurone disease)


Like you said, it cannot be a Right Intention because it violates the 1st Moral Precept. I understand that you see this as an act of compassion, however, Buddhists don't believe in a single lifetime. That is, the person does not go through this bad Karma in this lifetime, then he/she has to go through it in the next lifetime.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.