First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply School staff told to train for dealing with kids with aspergers by watching the Big Bang Theory
Ejanss 
16625 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/12/17

MysteryMiss wrote:

This Sun news source reminds me of Star- mag or Enquirer mag those trash magazines Lol.


Yes, The Sun, and a few other British tabloids (News of the World still around?) are a little closer in spirit to National Enquirer than to the NY Daily News.
Not exactly the most trusted journalistic source, but also playing up a few buttons that the "American sitcom" is more popular over there at the moment.

In other news, Macy's improved its customer service policy by telling its store employees to study "Are You Being Served?"
27177 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 3/12/17 , edited 3/12/17

Ejanss wrote:

Yes, The Sun, and a few other British tabloids (News of the World still around?) are a little closer in spirit to National Enquirer than to the NY Daily News.
Not exactly the most trusted journalistic source, but also playing up a few buttons that the "American sitcom" is more popular over there at the moment.

In other news, Macy's improved its customer service policy by telling its store employees to study "Are You Being Served?"


Finding a school that fucks something up is relatively easy--and quite worse than this even. It's just more traffic when it's a hot button issue.


Ejanss 
16625 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/12/17 , edited 3/12/17

PrinceJudar wrote:


Ejanss wrote:
In other news, Macy's improved its customer service policy by telling its store employees to study "Are You Being Served?"


Finding a school that fucks something up is relatively easy--and quite worse than this even. It's just more traffic when it's a hot button issue.


Come to think of it, the UK doesn't really HAVE Geeks in the Sheldon sense as we understand them, do they?
They have Trek-fan "Anoraks" (their slang for basement-losers, named after those winter parkas they always seem to wear), but like Japan with their anime, things like Classic Doctor Who or Danger Mouse were considered "kiddy shows", Tolkien was considered our-country's-classic-lit, and Star Wars and Marvel, while big hits, were big American hits.

Unlike Japan, it's a country that likes to appear sophisticated enough to sneer at its own enforced culture and say that "Shakespeare was fake/overrated", but otherwise, seems like you have the exact same social-hierarchical pecking-order peer-pressure as Japan to "grow up", impress people, and stop sullying yourself with trends below your age level.

No wonder they think something's "mentally" wrong with a guy that wears Lantern Corps shirts.
27177 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 3/12/17 , edited 3/12/17

Ejanss wrote:

Come to think of it, the UK doesn't really HAVE Geeks in the Sheldon sense as we understand them, do they?
They have Trek-fan "Anoraks" (their slang for basement-losers, named after those winter parkas they always seem to wear), but like Japan with their anime, things like Classic Doctor Who or Danger Mouse were considered "kiddy shows", Tolkien was considered our-country's-classic-lit, and Star Wars and Marvel, while big hits, were big American hits.

Unlike Japan, it's a country that likes to appear sophisticated enough to sneer at its own enforced culture and say that "Shakespeare was fake/overrated", but otherwise, seems like you have the exact same social-hierarchical pecking-order peer-pressure as Japan to "grow up", impress people, and stop sullying yourself with trends below your age level.

No wonder they think something's "mentally" wrong with a guy that wears Lantern Corps shirts.


No surprise at all in that respect. Their public interpretation of ASD is rudimentary at best, but then again the public opinion elsewhere fairs little better. No landslide victories found on that one.

1766 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Spokane, Washingt...
Offline
Posted 3/12/17
As someone with Asperger's syndrome, school was hell. As I have learned from others with the condition, the same shit tends to happen. Bullying, social paranoia and (social) "leprosy". Random panic attacks that monkey wrench whatever school work you were working on. Eventually, it got so bad for me that I ended up going to a self study alternative school, aka dropout school. To everyone's surprise (but my own), my grades skyrocketed, my credits were being breezed though, and my stress levels dropped. Too bad it didn't fix the hair loss damage caused by stress and my mother's genes. That's irreversible unfortunately. :(

What was it? for me, it was not dealing with people I don't want to deal with. Bullies, helicopter special ed teachers treat you like your stupid and need 24/7 schoolwork help, useless tools in group projects, crowds, lifeless teachers, etc. Every other person I've met with the same condition who went to an alternative school had much better success. Not all of them went to as asocial of a school as I went to, but all had better success.


Now for the actual topic on hand, I'm pretty sure these alternative schools will be seeing a surge of autistic students in the near future. It's people who are trained to use a fictional character in a TV show, or a book who cause unwanted stress. From what I've gathered about myself and others, the best way to help students is to NOT be intrusive. Just be there when they actually need you. Going out of your way to "solve a problem" just makes it worse. Odds are, what you view as a problem, such as lack of friends or fixated interests, is actually a good thing for, well at least me. I'm pretty sure not even half of all autistic students are as cynical as I am, but I can say is that we don't want unwanted help and attention. Many of us are already the butt of every school joke, stop making it worse by drawing attention to us.
1766 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Spokane, Washingt...
Offline
Posted 3/12/17

PrinceJudar wrote:


Ejanss wrote:

Come to think of it, the UK doesn't really HAVE Geeks in the Sheldon sense as we understand them, do they?
They have Trek-fan "Anoraks" (their slang for basement-losers, named after those winter parkas they always seem to wear), but like Japan with their anime, things like Classic Doctor Who or Danger Mouse were considered "kiddy shows", Tolkien was considered our-country's-classic-lit, and Star Wars and Marvel, while big hits, were big American hits.

Unlike Japan, it's a country that likes to appear sophisticated enough to sneer at its own enforced culture and say that "Shakespeare was fake/overrated", but otherwise, seems like you have the exact same social-hierarchical pecking-order peer-pressure as Japan to "grow up", impress people, and stop sullying yourself with trends below your age level.

No wonder they think something's "mentally" wrong with a guy that wears Lantern Corps shirts.


No surprise at all in that respect. Their public interpretation of ASD is rudimentary at best, but then again the public opinion elsewhere fairs little better. No landslide victories found on that one.



With how often terms like spastic, autistic, and assburgers is thrown around as insults on the internet, I'm not surprised the general public interpretation is kinda.... horseshit. Though, tbh, with how much we kinda stick out, it's really easy to make fun of ASD. All we can do is just have tougher hide and more venomous spit then the dribble hurled around the interwebs. Just like everyone else.

Example. " OMG, these teammates are the most autists idiots ever, they just shuffle around like spastic zombies!"

me: "cool story brah, now shut up and just play the game" (proceeds to mute the annoying jerk)

Ejanss 
16625 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/12/17 , edited 3/12/17

Lance_Clemings wrote:

With how often terms like spastic, autistic, and assburgers is thrown around as insults on the internet, I'm not surprised the general public interpretation is kinda.... horseshit. Though, tbh, with how much we kinda stick out, it's really easy to make fun of ASD. All we can do is just have tougher hide and more venomous spit then the dribble hurled around the interwebs. Just like everyone else.

Example. " OMG, these teammates are the most autists idiots ever, they just shuffle around like spastic zombies!"

me: "cool story brah, now shut up and just play the game" (proceeds to mute the annoying jerk)


Well, at the risk of offense--and I may have been there myself during the early years--most of the ASD jokes are generally spawned by experiences with those "annoying jerks" who do post on the Internet, and have social difficulty telling when to get off the stage or keep the conversation social and coherent.
(Heck, I can't even remember the name of that weird Scandinavian guy who finally got kicked off...)

The Low-functions have sort of been their own worst enemies for the public Internet image of High-functions--Just recently I was just in a forum with one inscrutably spelling-scrambled stream-of-consciousness LF who kept posting thread after thread, after thread, after thread of a topic nobody wanted to jump onto...And when the usual "Why are you so evil as to pick on me personally, you meanie?--Hey, guys, since you're all my friends, howzabout we all make fun of the Stinky Guy?" blowup happened when we tried to point out that he wasn't quite following the conversation in as fluid a manner as the other posters, I tried to PM him a few links about seeking ASD help.
Like most LF's living in their own interior world between the brain, the keyboard and the Magic Friendly Screen That Talks To Them When They're Lonely, he thought he had a new flame-war sparring partner to trade manly insults with, and made the obvious corny Eric Cartman jokes when laughing off the idea that anyone would think he had "assburgers".

Even if you're HF, and manage to keep in the vibe of the conversation the majority of the time, just saying...know your risks, and work on developing that "As others see us" thing.
We're not just grabbing a lot of cliche's from movies and TV.
5238 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
UK
Offline
Posted 3/12/17 , edited 3/12/17
I've seen Big Bang. My nephew likes it. He's ASD. Sheldon is not ASD, my nephew informed me on that since he saw the episode that said so, oh and they no longer use the Aspergers label. I thought my nephew would lean to the science field since he's good at that but he's also good at cooking. They found that academically he was at the level of a 16 year old when he was 8. It was hard getting a school to fit so he was home schooled. He socialised with other homeschoolers from their association club online that organised "school trips", holiday camps, hiking, art & craft classes and science classes. He chose a chef course at 12 but had to wait until he was 16 to attend and is now a qualified chef. I happen to know for sure that schools do train their staff and the Big Bang is not used. They don't use fictitious characters at all. That story is just about one misguided school.
27177 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 3/12/17 , edited 3/12/17

Lance_Clemings wrote:




I don't mind the jokes online--everyone gets insulted on the internet. I find them funny myself most of the time--but there's always a line with it like with anything else.

As for the other nasty shit--well that among many reasons is why I stay in my house. It's just a natural facet of human behavior--very difficult for others to work around those deficits (of course, it's even harder to live with having them).

First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.