First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Crunchyroll has reduced bitrate by 40-70%, damaging video quality to save money
14 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 3/11/17 , edited 3/14/17
I'm paying for Crunchyroll. Why? Illegal sites now provide noticeably higher quality. There is no reason for me to continue to pay Crunchyroll.

Crunchyroll, if you don't provide me with high quality I will not give you my money. This is a bureaucratic move to save costs, and I really hope this backfires on you. You don't deserve subscribers if you're doing this to the people who pay.
19583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Maniwa Japan
Offline
Posted 3/11/17 , edited 3/14/17

namealreadytaken wrote:


Yamstarch wrote:Plus I can't use CR in Japan anyways.


there's so many (better) options to watch anime in Japan that CR should be at the bottom of the list
besides tv or your local rental store, there's
https://abema.tv/now-on-air/midnight-anime
http://gyao.yahoo.co.jp/ct/anime/
http://ch.nicovideo.jp/portal/anime
Line also offers an anime channel i think
and of course, Amazon Japan, which only charges ~$30 usd a year.
(a lot of anime is included as part of the prime package)



wow. Thanks for the info.
bVork 
15033 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 3/11/17 , edited 3/14/17
Why should I continue to pay $60 a year when Crunchyroll is providing videos that are half as good as they used to be? I am happy to pay for a legitimate option if all things (aside from cost) are equal, but at this point I would get a better experience by pirating!
11151 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 3/11/17 , edited 3/14/17
really people, so one epsiode has a lower bitrate, and instead of assuming its just a mistake, you jump to the worst case scenerio because of a really biased reddit post
11151 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 3/11/17 , edited 3/14/17

bVork wrote:

Why should I continue to pay $60 a year when Crunchyroll is providing videos that are half as good as they used to be? I am happy to pay for a legitimate option if all things (aside from cost) are equal, but at this point I would get a better experience by pirating!


most sites steal from crunchyroll so their video quality would go down too if this isnt a one case scenario
CronoT 
9546 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/11/17 , edited 3/11/17
The Crunchyroll execs SERIOUSLY underestimated how much demand there would be for Dragon Ball Super; & to a lesser degree, One Piece. Because Crunchyroll hosts this two popular anime for free users without any timed paywalls, the server load for those shows are IMMENSE, especially for Dragon Ball Super.

Myself & a few others have been tracking this phenomenon for the past 6-8 weeks time. Here's the thread:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-980391/its-saturday-night-time-for-crunchyroll-to-crash
12089 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / but the computers...
Offline
Posted 3/11/17 , edited 3/14/17
Glad to see they're prioritizing pizza giveaways and conventions over stable servers and video encodes. Totally getting my money's worth!
37452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 3/11/17 , edited 3/11/17

EBKemanon wrote:

Glad to see they're prioritizing pizza giveaways and conventions over stable servers and video encodes. Totally getting my money's worth!


Pretty much sums up Crunchroll of 2017
26779 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 3/11/17 , edited 3/14/17
If this keeps up being a thing I won't renew once my membership expire
13230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Offline
Posted 3/11/17 , edited 3/13/17

TehNonBeliever wrote:most sites steal from crunchyroll so their video quality would go down too if this isnt a one case scenario


i'm not so sure on that one. they could just get the raw video and then put subs on top of it, which shouldn't be too difficult.
many actually do just that.
10732 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / SW Ontario, Canada
Online
Posted 3/11/17
I'd rather wait to see what CR has to say about this before jumping the gun, but they really do need to respond to this.
41363 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 3/11/17 , edited 3/14/17

StriderShinryu wrote:

I'd rather wait to see what CR has to say about this before jumping the gun, but they really do need to respond to this.


Apparently their PR guy is over on Reddit claiming that this is all untrue, that people are comparing rips of illegal streams to actual Crunchyroll streams.
Humms 
12003 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 3/11/17 , edited 3/14/17
just stop giving them money if you feel robbed.

This isn't hard people.

Oh I forgot.... too late, welcome to reality
13230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Offline
Posted 3/11/17 , edited 3/11/17
did you guys (premium members) try contacting support?
they should respond much faster that way (reminder that the mods here are only in charge of moderating the forum and have no control over how CR operates)
bVork 
15033 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 3/11/17 , edited 3/14/17

TehNonBeliever wrote:


bVork wrote:

Why should I continue to pay $60 a year when Crunchyroll is providing videos that are half as good as they used to be? I am happy to pay for a legitimate option if all things (aside from cost) are equal, but at this point I would get a better experience by pirating!


most sites steal from crunchyroll so their video quality would go down too if this isnt a one case scenario


Well, not to get too specific about it, but there are plenty of raw rips from Japanese broadcasts (which are higher quality than the new CR encodes) that aren't difficult to apply subtitles to.


namealreadytaken wrote:

did you guys (premium members) try contacting support?
they should respond much faster that way (reminder that the mods here are only in charge of moderating the forum and have no control over how CR operates)


I certainly did and I definitely encourage all other premium members to do so - and to also use Twitter to contact the official Crunchyroll account as well as CR's social media manager. It's best to make as much noise about this as possible. If nothing changes, I'm definitely going to cancel my subscription.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.