First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Bit Rate Decrease?
18013 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / United States
Offline
Posted 3/11/17 , edited 3/11/17
As of recently it seems as though CR has gone through a decrease in the bit rate for their video encoding, first starting noticing a drop in quality myself between episodes only to have my concerns validated after reading a Reddit thread where other users said that they were experiencing the same issues.
(https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/5yv8a7/crunchyroll_has_reduced_bitrate_by_4070_damaging/?sort=top)
Can someone from the CR team explain the reason for this decrease, one that had no announcement or reason given for the change?
9 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 3/11/17 , edited 7/29/17
when a business wants to get cheap, they decrease quality
39 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Eating Food
Offline
Posted 3/11/17 , edited 3/11/17
I have come across this too and it concerns me. The PS4 app is largely worthless and isn't all that reliable.
19144 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Central Coast, CA
Offline
Posted 3/11/17
Yeah, I've noticed a pretty big drop in bitrate recently. Hopefully it's temporary. There's a huge twitter spat between Daiz and Miles from CR about this, I'm pretty sure they're at least, aware, hopefully the changes get reverted though. Pretty disappointed.
12854 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Offline
Posted 3/11/17 , edited 3/11/17

MutaTheCat wrote:

Yeah, I've noticed a pretty big drop in bitrate recently. Hopefully it's temporary. There's a huge twitter spat between Daiz and Miles from CR about this, I'm pretty sure they're at least, aware, hopefully the changes get reverted though. Pretty disappointed.


the issue with episode 22 was apparently fixed not too long ago, assuming the recent rip is from CR. good news if that's the case.
Der Zoodirektor
25969 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Germany
Online
Posted 3/12/17 , edited 3/14/17
This was not intentional, and it has also been addressed in the meantime.
30367 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 3/12/17

shinryou wrote:

This was not intentional, and it has also been addressed in the meantime.


If it's not intentional, then why did it suddenly get applied to ALL episodes of the series? I checked about 3 hours after this post was made, and while episode 22 was fixed, episodes 1-21 were suddenly made worse. Take a look at the Anime and Premium Member forums. Hundreds of users have already vowed to unsubscribe due to clear evidence of decreased bitrates and no comment from the Crunchyroll staff.
105365 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
57 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 3/12/17

pokedude900 wrote:

Hundreds of users have already vowed to unsubscribe due to clear evidence of decreased bitrates and no comment from the Crunchyroll staff.

"No comment". Who do you believe you just replied to?

As to the previous episodes, do have examples of how those episodes looked before, or are you just going by how you believe you remember they looked before, while examining them with a bias that they will be worse? Or worse, just taking someone claim at face value, probably without knowing their reputation?

Even assuming the older episodes are re-encoded at lower bitrates, is this truly something that "suddenly" happened, or something that has been done for some time, that people finally noticed? Given the time it would take to re-encode CR's library, I seriously doubt the re-encoding of episodes after the initial simulcast viewership fall-off would be a new development.
30367 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 3/12/17 , edited 3/12/17

TheAncientOne wrote:


pokedude900 wrote:

Hundreds of users have already vowed to unsubscribe due to clear evidence of decreased bitrates and no comment from the Crunchyroll staff.

"No comment". Who do you believe you just replied to?

As to the previous episodes, do have examples of how those episodes looked before, or are you just going by how you believe you remember they looked before, while examining them with a bias that they will be worse? Or worse, just taking someone claim at face value, probably without knowing their reputation?

Even assuming the older episodes are re-encoded at lower bitrates, is this truly something that "suddenly" happened, or something that has been done for some time, that people finally noticed? Given the time it would take to re-encode CR's library, I seriously doubt the re-encoding of episodes after the initial simulcast viewership fall-off would be a new development.


It doesn't matter whether it's new or not. It's not okay. No other streaming service does this. It screws over binge-watchers and is just dishonest. Furthermore, even the higher bitrate is still lower than what other services provide. Crunchyroll is going to have a hard time winning people back even if they just restore the videos to what they were.
105365 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
57 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 3/12/17 , edited 3/12/17

pokedude900 wrote:

It doesn't matter whether it's new or not. It's not okay. No other streaming service does this. It screws over binge-watchers and is just dishonest. Furthermore, even the higher bitrate is still lower than what other services provide. Crunchyroll is going to have a hard time winning people back even if they just restore the videos to what they were.

How can you be certain no other streaming service does this? Have you tested them all (or even all the major services or even just the few dedicated anime streaming services)? Until this weekend, no one appeared to think CR was doing this.

Another problem with this broad assertion is that services that still have at least one set of non-adaptive set of streams like CR's Flash player streams are on thin ground. Funimation killed off theirs when they transitioned to their new site, so they have only adaptive bitrate streams now. I do note that The Anime Network does still provide manual selections on their subscription player.

Hulu has used adaptive bitrate streaming for quite some time, and I don't know if Amazon ever offered anything else. (I'm a relatively new subscriber to their service compared to the others).

I believe Netflix has used adaptive bitrate streaming from the beginning. (If not, they certainly were one of the earliest sites to use it). Frankly, Netflix is playing with encoding schemes constantly, so any assertion they don't do something like this is a bit of a risk.


As someone that waits until shows are over to view them, as I said elsewhere, I wouldn't be happy if they were indeed being re-encoded at a lower bitrate. That said, I also noted I wouldn't be upset, as if they have been doing all along or changed to doing it recently, I haven't noticed the difference.

I viewed 6 episodes yesterday from 3 different completed shows and didn't suddenly find myself thinking, "Oh my, this looks a lot worse than it used to", or thinking, "This looks like crap".
30367 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 3/12/17 , edited 3/13/17
Can you stop dancing around the issue here? The bottom line is re-encoding videos to make them look worse is bad. Period.
57247 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 3/12/17
The Netflix adaptive bitrate statement isn't quite true. You just hit Ctrl-Shift-Alt-S and pick the bitrate and source you want. You can override to any level available. Some other services offer similar solutions.
59708 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Dallas, TX
Online
Posted 3/12/17

suburbazine wrote:

The Netflix adaptive bitrate statement isn't quite true. You just hit Ctrl-Shift-Alt-S and pick the bitrate and source you want. You can override to any level available. Some other services offer similar solutions.


You can't hit Ctrl-Alt-S on a mobile or console app.
105365 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
57 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 3/13/17

eyeofpain wrote:

You can't hit Ctrl-Alt-S on a mobile or console app.

True, but for the purposes of measurement, one needs only one source. The tools used would also likely exist only on a computer.

For the purposes of this discussion, I accept suburbazine's point as a valid one.

9048 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/13/17 , edited 3/18/17
If it continues to look like crap I'll just end my subscription and wait for the subs.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.