First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Westerners may also have low tolerance to moe fandom in general
13283 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/14/17 , edited 5/26/17
moe is cancer
20017 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 3/14/17
'I care not for animation! Only story.. if animation sucks. I don't give a damn as long as the story is good. Moe means nothing. Story is everything ... give me plot or give me death
33234 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 3/14/17

Shintogod wrote:

moe is cancer


.............Rei Ayanami is considered classic kuudere
735 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F
Offline
Posted 3/15/17
My feelings toward moe are mostly neutral, leaning towards positive in most cases. Of course, it depends on the series and so forth. Most of the time I either have neutral feelings towards moe or "awww, that's cute" feelings towards moe. The only time I feel negative feelings is if there are a lot of panty shots/fanservice (and even then, the negativity is more towards the panty shots/fanservice than the moe).

That said, while I'm okay with (and occasionally watch) "cute girls doing cute things", that is not my preferred genre/theme. The anime I tend to prefer usually fit in one of three categories (though they sometimes overlap):

1. Anime that have complex (and often dark) storylines and/or complex characters.
2. Anime with lots of action.
3. Anime with a mostly MALE cast (preferably with plenty of bromance/ho-yay)
12306 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 3/15/17
To be fair I always feel like I can not talk about moe characters to people around me fearing they may misinterpret my adoration for cuteness into weird perversion. I mean like you point out in your intro Kanna is an adorable ball of cuteness and I love her for that, she just put a smile on me whenever she appear because of how adorable and silly she is.

But if I share this to anyone irl they will look at me like I am a pedophile, I guess adult males are not allowed to found things cute.
33234 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 3/15/17 , edited 3/15/17

LadyPsychic wrote:

My feelings toward moe are mostly neutral, leaning towards positive in most cases. Of course, it depends on the series and so forth. Most of the time I either have neutral feelings towards moe or "awww, that's cute" feelings towards moe. The only time I feel negative feelings is if there are a lot of panty shots/fanservice (and even then, the negativity is more towards the panty shots/fanservice than the moe).

That said, while I'm okay with (and occasionally watch) "cute girls doing cute things", that is not my preferred genre/theme. The anime I tend to prefer usually fit in one of three categories (though they sometimes overlap):

1. Anime that have complex (and often dark) storylines and/or complex characters.
2. Anime with lots of action.
3. Anime with a mostly MALE cast (preferably with plenty of bromance/ho-yay)


Fanservice kind of takes away from the innocent aspect of moe if there's too much of it.

I look for emotional involvement in anime, and it's difficult to get involved in something if it doesn't have a plot.


Foxpower93 wrote:

To be fair I always feel like I can not talk about moe characters to people around me fearing they may misinterpret my adoration for cuteness into weird perversion. I mean like you point out in your intro Kanna is an adorable ball of cuteness and I love her for that, she just put a smile on me whenever she appear because of how adorable and silly she is.

But if I share this to anyone irl they will look at me like I am a pedophile, I guess adult males are not allowed to found things cute.


Silently adore. On the inside.
Banned
920 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/25/17
Well what do you think? Moe is garbage. I don't see the hype. It is the most boring shit I have ever seen in my life. Not only is it boring, it is so cringe. Their voices are so high pitched and their "oni chans!" holy crap like STOP IT JUST STOP IT. Lets not forget how 99 percent of moes have some next level fan service where you see 9 year old girls who haven't even developed ANYTHING blushing when their brother or the protagonist catches them naked as if they are about to get the D.
11274 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Chaldea Security...
Offline
Posted 5/25/17
Where's my stupidly violent gore fest filled moe title Japan?

That way I can be a violent sex crazed westerner and a moe nerd!.-.

We americans are stupid and have to have everything violence violence violence, god forbid a boob pops up on screen or in a cartoon.
23875 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Oppai Hell
Offline
Posted 5/25/17

HopexLight wrote:

Where's my stupidly violent gore fest filled moe title Japan?

That way I can be a violent sex crazed westerner and a moe nerd!.-.

We americans are stupid and have to have everything violence violence violence, god forbid a boob pops up on screen or in a cartoon.


There is School Live!
11274 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Chaldea Security...
Offline
Posted 5/25/17
That doesn't count, have you seen those "Zombies"? I could take my shoe and smack em upside the head and they'd fall over dead :/
23875 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Oppai Hell
Offline
Posted 5/25/17

HopexLight wrote:

That doesn't count, have you seen those "Zombies"? I could take my shoe and smack em upside the head and they'd fall over dead :/


You do realize that they have strength in numbers, one hit bite infection, and the girls are in Elementary School with one mentally insane individual to account for, right?

Just saying. Even Kurumi kills a couple a day to thin their numbers, and it hardly makes a dent. Japan be tightly packed yo.

20766 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / So. Cal
Offline
Posted 5/25/17
I want to weigh in, but i have a difficult time understanding moe; mainly because I only think two things are cute (kittens and KPP). The OP even says the term is vague. Are New Game!, Yokuwakaru Gendai Maho & Sakura Quest moe based on the characters and their actions? Or is it a fandom reaction to characters depicted as young?
23875 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Oppai Hell
Offline
Posted 5/26/17

camay1997 wrote:

I want to weigh in, but i have a difficult time understanding moe; mainly because I only think two things are cute (kittens and KPP). The OP even says the term is vague. Are New Game!, Yokuwakaru Gendai Maho & Sakura Quest moe based on the characters and their actions? Or is it a fandom reaction to characters depicted as young?


Eh, it depends. Moe is pervasive in Japanese media, but the concept of certain female characters may be more or less dependent on a cuteness factor to raise their waifu rating, with my earliest encounter and example probably being Belldandy from Ah! My Goddess! In essence, it may go beyond the typical shows centered around it, by creating an apperance of vulnerability, which in this case, is Belldandy's innocence, as to many other factors, perhaps the sexual precocious nature of the elementary schoolers of Mitsudomoe (Which is a decent show, oddly enough, and a great deal more varied in humor than later season so Seitokai Yakuindomo) Moe can be utilized as a trait of romantic attraction, which appears to be a common desire among people, but especially the Japanese, which may tie into that of vulnerability to contrast the nature of a being who may exude sexiness.

There is typical cuteness that is not rooted in a romantic attraction, but waifu cuteness seems to be more rampant. You got tsunderes like Taiga Asaka from Toradora and Louise from Zero No Tsukaima, who have a hidden sob story explaining their bitchiness. You have the sexually charged Amane Suou from the Grisaia trilogy, who more or less in the novel is all talk when it comes to doing the deed. You have the possible example of ax crazy General Esdeath from Akame Ga Kill, whose pantless undress and a freaking panel show her blushing at times helped with her overall image, despite the whole sadistic edge that one would expect in what is essentially a bleached Nazi garb. Makise Kurisu in Steins;Gate has moments of vulnerability, particularly that scene where her lab coat got wet, as well as her embarrassment regarding a certain popular meme.

It may go back to the idea of why dating sims exist in their usual formula. It is based around a basic attraction, followed by a growing relationship experiencing difficulties due to a problem, usually connected to the past of the romantic interest, in which the player then has to resolve in order to get their happy ending. Cuteness draws on the ability to have a viewer want to help, want to protect typically.

It is kind of hard for a relationship to start with a mentally healthy and completely independent person in Japanese fiction land. In any case, cuteness may run the gamut from flaw to glamorized flaw (Clumsiness).

That is just my take on it. Moe is really quite pervasive, but I have no idea about cute girls doing cute thing series that aim for a nonsexual view of its characters, such as definitely Non Non Biyori.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.