Post Reply Bit Rate Decrease and Quality Drop ?
7054 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/14/17 , edited 3/14/17

Hi Crunchyroll Team,

I've Recently noticed a drop in the bit-rate on all the devices I use and a overall quality drop in all content across crunchy roll. (excluding manga)


I have recently resubscribed for another year of the service as I love it and want it to be better. I also enjoy seeing the team at conventions with all the member goodies they give out, but recently it's come to the surface that the drop in bit-rate and quality was done to cut bandwidth costs Site wide and save money in the long run. Personally, for me it seems that this is somewhat back handed treatment to towards loyal customers.

Given that the site recently reached 1 million paid subscribers and is having a staff change to accommodate company expenditure and growth, I can accept that maybe this was a largely a mistake or a bit of an indiscretion, but from the pure fact that no word has been given on this officially, and that it took some keen eyed and clever people to gather the evidence for this to surface says to me that now Crunchyroll has hit the big leagues it's decided to detach it's self from good customer service and delivery of decent product, and turn it's self into a uncaring machine of a video service company.

I hope this is just a mistake and not a financial strategy, but we all understand how business works so we already know the answer to that one.

Thanks for a few years of great anime, I'm going to go back to torrenting now as I've paid for the videos inadvertently in a way so I might as well watch them at the original source resolution that it was created in and not a cheap rip version.

Cheers,

A_Kawaii_Fart
59752 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Dallas, TX
Offline
Posted 3/14/17

A_Kawaii_Fart wrote:

I've Recently noticed a drop in the bit-rate on all the devices I use and a overall quality drop in all content across crunchy roll. (excluding manga)


I'm curious, have you actually noticed any changes in quality, or are you just saying that because of what you've read on Reddit, Twitter, or chan boards?
14 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F
Offline
Posted 3/14/17 , edited 3/14/17
I've been paying for Crunchyroll for almost 5 years (across two accounts) and I feel the same way. Logged in this morning and was shocked to find the highest quality available to me at 480p.... i can go over to another site and watch at 720 for FREE, and while it's still not the 1080 I want, it's better then the bullshit CR is pulling right now.
59752 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Dallas, TX
Offline
Posted 3/14/17 , edited 3/14/17

LilacChild wrote:

I've been paying for Crunchyroll for almost 5 years (across two accounts) and I feel the same way. Logged in this morning and was shocked to find the highest quality available to me at 480p.... i can go over to another site and watch at 720 for FREE, and while it's still not the 1080 I want, it's better then the bullshit CR is pulling right now.


Some older shows are only available at 480p, because that was all that was available at the time. What show were you trying to watch?
14 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F
Offline
Posted 3/14/17
Bakemonogatari, which I was watching at 1080p just a few days ago.
120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/14/17
The drop in quality is wasn't really noticeable on my 17' laptop, but when I watch it on my desktop monitor it is pretty obvious to see the drop in quality.
elev8d 
82417 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34
Offline
Posted 3/14/17 , edited 3/14/17
Very large quality drop. Was very noticeable for me when I was watching Blue Exorcist this past weekend. The colors looked terrible and it was hard to see what was going on in a lot of scenes. Whoever changed the codec needs to change it back. This is awful.
7054 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/14/17
I noticed it recently on my PS4 but I assumed it was just the app playing up and/or my connection, but It still looked fuzzy on my PC and phone compared to some stuff I torrented to watch on the go on my laptop.

Then loads of people on sites started talking about it and I just decided to make a formal(ish) complaint because to be fair, I actually do love Crunchyroll but I'm a bit of a quality freak, never used to be but I just like animation to look as it was intended too.

I'm sure they will rectify it soon anyway, just like the subtitle fuzziness some of us had a while back on PC.
One Punch Mod
104838 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 3/14/17

A_Kawaii_Fart wrote:


Hi Crunchyroll Team,

I've Recently noticed a drop in the bit-rate on all the devices I use and a overall quality drop in all content across crunchy roll. (excluding manga)


I have recently resubscribed for another year of the service as I love it and want it to be better. I also enjoy seeing the team at conventions with all the member goodies they give out, but recently it's come to the surface that the drop in bit-rate and quality was done to cut bandwidth costs Site wide and save money in the long run. Personally, for me it seems that this is somewhat back handed treatment to towards loyal customers.

Given that the site recently reached 1 million paid subscribers and is having a staff change to accommodate company expenditure and growth, I can accept that maybe this was a largely a mistake or a bit of an indiscretion, but from the pure fact that no word has been given on this officially, and that it took some keen eyed and clever people to gather the evidence for this to surface says to me that now Crunchyroll has hit the big leagues it's decided to detach it's self from good customer service and delivery of decent product, and turn it's self into a uncaring machine of a video service company.

I hope this is just a mistake and not a financial strategy, but we all understand how business works so we already know the answer to that one.

Thanks for a few years of great anime, I'm going to go back to torrenting now as I've paid for the videos inadvertently in a way so I might as well watch them at the original source resolution that it was created in and not a cheap rip version.

Cheers,

A_Kawaii_Fart


Here's an official statement about the recent encode changes, from CR in Site News

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-985103/our-statement-regarding-recent-video-quality-issues
7054 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/15/17
I'll never understand why some companies don't just publicly state that they are moving to a new infrastructure to make everything better.

It would be so much simpler to do rather than lowering all the videos quality and bit-rate so the system has less stress and making it easier to move data from, and then not telling anyone for a week so it seems dubious.

Anyway this is good, a better infrastructure means they could standardize the code and infrastructures across all apps on all platforms and make it a hell of a lot easier to roll out an update and new content to all of them. Plus faster more consistent bit-rate than before if I'm guessing what they are doing correctly : /
23014 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/16/17 , edited 3/16/17
I went to watch some of the new anime today and I've noticed a significant drop in bit rate. Normally enjoyable shows ware now unwatchable because the drop in quality is too distracting. I pay for premium because I want a higher quality of content.

I will be cancelling my premium membership and no longer supporting crunchy roll because of their decision to cut quality. It looks like I'll have to support anime by buying blue ray discs now.
50597 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
61 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 3/16/17
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by...something...

https://medium.com/ellation-tech/improving-video-quality-for-crunchyroll-and-vrv-dd587261a364#.5v2dq9lkx
You must be logged in to post.