First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply Nerds and dating
28491 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Online
Posted 3/20/17

starshots wrote:


eggrollsama wrote:

Nerds have very low confidence therefore they don't take proper care of their hygiene & can't date like normal people.



Yes, it's true. I couldn't agree more.

I swear nerds always smell funky.


then you have never met many nerds most of us under that category shower daily -.-
27137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 3/20/17

Ryulightorb wrote:

then you have never met many nerds most of us under that category shower daily -.-


Yeah, most do.


120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/20/17
Maybe the nerds don't want to get to know the people and prefer to themselves. Or, it is that rejection hurts a bit, and that is okay.
7081 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Ikebukuro
Offline
Posted 3/20/17
I worked over the maximum labor allowed(max was 18 i worked between 24-28) per week and went to high school at the same time. I still had time to go to the gym everyday and all of my nerdy activities. It's a balancing act that requires good time management, I'll admit it's challenging.
gsm642 
1872 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Shanghai China
Offline
Posted 3/20/17
I had to go outside the usa I went for over 10 years once with out dating anyone or being asked out and was very depressing not only am I a nerd but I am ugly to and a gamer. Generally I found out that outside the usa people are more kinder I actually got treated with respect when it comes to dating the first time I went to japan and china was when I first realized girls can actually be kind to me and not assholes and dump and ban me in 3 days because of how I look or if I do something wrong during a date because of lack of dating experience. I am actually considering getting married next year and I thought it would never happen because regardless of how much money I had in the usa I simply couldn't date.
13764 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / New York
Online
Posted 3/20/17
First, stop calling it “higher” standards – they’re just different.

Second, “nerdy” or “geeky” is a passion, not a look or a smell.

Third, it’s inherently human to judge a person by their presentation, or ‘marketing plan’. What is it they’re trying to tell/sell to others? Every decision made is subconsciously a part of that plan, no matter who they are. The range can go from the superficial to the down-right scary, in-your-face “I don’t give a shit what you think”. And hygiene is the state of that presentation — who would honestly select something that’s smelly and dingy? Hygiene isn’t relegated to a “type” of person, but is a conscious decision made by everyone.

That initial browsing or “snap judgement” phase unavoidably happens. And based on that, you make your personal choice. What a lot of people have trouble with is the next step, getting to know the person behind the presentation. Did you buy into someone’s crap? Or was there more value than expected? This part takes time. As frustrating as it might be, attempting to steam line it would be construed as part of your marketing plan.

This outlook may seem completely contrary to the post above, but it’s not. No “higher” or “lower” standards. Just different.

Personally speaking, I’m intrigued by the state of presence (that inner glow) a person expresses. That would make me look twice.
24122 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / United States, DE
Offline
Posted 3/20/17

TaichoXD wrote:


YayForKittens wrote:


Why do people have this idea that only six-pack, model-type, Greek God lookalikes get to be in nice relationships?

I mean attraction certainly does play a part, but some people seem to make it out like everyone is super shallow or something.

And hey, guess what? There are plenty of complete nerds out there who are also super hot in appearance. Who would have thought??

The problem is everyone wants to be with someone like that and they over look a lot of decent people just because the hot person is gonna make them feel bwtter about themselves... also hygiene and fitness are two different things.


Yeah I can see your point. But I never said anything about fitness or hygiene, I was just talking about being attractive in general ... the bit about the Greek God was a joke.

7081 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 3/20/17
First of all, yeah men and women can have standards. That's part of nature. And those standards may exclude you. Contrary to what most media tells you, you are not owed a hot chick or a sexy stud.

Secondly, I work about 25 hours a week and go to school full time and keep up with my nerd hobbies and make time to hit the school gym a few hours each week. Time management is a skill that is sadly neglected in modern society.

So I do have many standards for people I date. Standards of intelligence, hygiene, fitness, and morals. I will not bend these just because you have a crush on me and think I'm cute.
22816 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / FL
Online
Posted 3/20/17 , edited 3/20/17
Nerds  are  ugly


sorry  not  sorry
21289 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Leanbox, Gameindu...
Offline
Posted 3/20/17 , edited 3/20/17

TaichoXD wrote:

You know something ive noticed recently.... both male and female nerds have rather outlandish standards.. You cant ask either male or female to keep a beach bod, work a full time job i.e 40+ hours a week and still enjoy their various geeky and nerdy hobbies. Now im not saying everyone needs to date someone who's clearly at risk for health issues im saying lower your standards not everyone needs to have a beach bod or be in peak physical condition physical and sexual attraction is not everything and should not rule your choices for partners.... All im saying is that nerds in general may be missing out on some amazing people simply because your standards are outlandish for people with hobbies that require mostly sedentary positions to enjoy. All Im saying is that lower your standards a bit and actually get to know people and dont make snap judgments merely on someones outward appearance.



Idk what you are saying, if you are out of shape hit the gym that's what I'm doing.
Hey the world is shallow, it is what it is, gotta work within that system.

On the flip side, can you really fall in love with someone you are not attractive to? What one person finds attractive another may not. Finding someone who you like and who also likes you often just comes down to dumb luck: being at the right place at the right time. No need to feel down over something that most of us have little control over anyway, if it's meant to happen it will, if not so be it.


PeripheralVisionary wrote:


Dark_Alma wrote:

Good thing about being a geologist, the only girls in my major are fit, like alcohol, rocks, and often anime and other such things.

On the flip side, there are 3 girls in my class of 30. Dating chances are slim.


I like a fit girl. They make me....rock hard.




3 girls! Heck as an engineering major I wish I had it that good


gsm642 wrote:

I had to go outside the usa I went for over 10 years once with out dating anyone or being asked out and was very depressing not only am I a nerd but I am ugly to and a gamer. Generally I found out that outside the usa people are more kinder I actually got treated with respect when it comes to dating the first time I went to japan and china was when I first realized girls can actually be kind to me and not assholes and dump and ban me in 3 days because of how I look or if I do something wrong during a date because of lack of dating experience. I am actually considering getting married next year and I thought it would never happen because regardless of how much money I had in the usa I simply couldn't date.


I've had the same experience living overseas too, and it was definitely a pleasant surprise. It was fairly easy to get dates, I never had to try just went to some university extracurricular activities and meetup hobby or social groups and things just kinda worked out on their own. Only reason I came back was it sucked being away from my family and friends for so long, but I totally get where you are coming from. That being said, attributes that might be attractive in one culture might not be in another, so with that line of thinking perhaps it isn't too surprising to hear that someone who has trouble fitting in one place, might do just fine elsewhere.
28122 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Kaguya's Panties
Offline
Posted 3/20/17 , edited 3/20/17
Anybody who focuses on looks when searching for a partner deserves to be alone.
21289 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Leanbox, Gameindu...
Offline
Posted 3/20/17 , edited 3/20/17
Looks serve as a filter, personality seals the deal.
12303 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 3/21/17 , edited 3/21/17

kevz_210 wrote:


TaichoXD wrote:

You know something ive noticed recently.... both male and female nerds have rather outlandish standards.. You cant ask either male or female to keep a beach bod, work a full time job i.e 40+ hours a week and still enjoy their various geeky and nerdy hobbies. Now im not saying everyone needs to date someone who's clearly at risk for health issues im saying lower your standards not everyone needs to have a beach bod or be in peak physical condition physical and sexual attraction is not everything and should not rule your choices for partners.... All im saying is that nerds in general may be missing out on some amazing people simply because your standards are outlandish for people with hobbies that require mostly sedentary positions to enjoy. All Im saying is that lower your standards a bit and actually get to know people and dont make snap judgments merely on someones outward appearance.



Idk what you are saying, if you are out of shape hit the gym that's what I'm doing.
Hey the world is shallow, it is what it is, gotta work within that system.

On the flip side, can you really fall in love with someone you are not attractive to? What one person finds attractive another may not. Finding someone who you like and who also likes you often just comes down to dumb luck: being at the right place at the right time. No need to feel down over something that most of us have little control over anyway, if it's meant to happen it will, if not so be it.



um not sure you got my point sure im not in 100% best physical shape but im not in the worst either...

I think you all have missed my point... Alot of people set the bar high and do not even meet their own standards is my point. Secondly kiddies 25 hours a week and school is nothing try working 10 hours a day 6 days a week with fewer than 12 hours in between shifts when you remove drive time ... not to mention trying to fit time at the gym in there along with chores and your various hobbies in there its not exactly easy.... so when you do have free time last thing you wanna do is go wear yourself out at the gym
1724 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Spokane, Washingt...
Offline
Posted 3/21/17
Fuck! if I actually go though with trying to get ripped for my next cosplay, people will realize I don't have a job or life!


.... do I get a job and social life, or do I try to look like a ripped surfer dude by late summer, aka my local anime convention?
12303 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 3/21/17

Lance_Clemings wrote:

Fuck! if I actually go though with trying to get ripped for my next cosplay, people will realize I don't have a job or life!


.... do I get a job and social life, or do I try to look like a ripped surfer dude by late summer, aka my local anime convention?


lol people dont seem to understand that to look like hughe jackman or Goku you pretty much gotta live,breath,and eat working out
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.