First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply Canada has passed motion that targets Islamophobia - is this anti-blasphemy law?
11816 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 3/23/17

Amyas_Leigh wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:


Illegal to discriminate on basis of race =/= going to jail for slurring.


Why couldn't you just say that at the start rather than argue about the legitimacy of your Canadian government funded anti free speech propaganda?




It is not anti-free speech propaganda.

Stop spreading your bullshit.
Posted 3/23/17 , edited 3/23/17

octorockandroll wrote:


It is not anti-free speech propaganda.

Stop spreading your bullshit.


Then why did you feel the need to attack the legitimacy of it? Did it shock you?
Are you okay with it now?
BTW it didn't come up on google image searches because my original pic was a collage of screenshots from the official Embrace BC Unlearn Racism website
11816 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 3/23/17

Amyas_Leigh wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:


It is not anti-free speech propaganda.

Stop spreading your bullshit.


Then why did you feel the need to attack the legitimacy of it?


>pointing out that something is badly supported = attack
>makessense.jpg
Posted 3/23/17

octorockandroll wrote:
Oh look, a bullshit webcomic dug out of some shithole subreddit that completely misrepresents the laws of a country the poster knows nothing about.

Must be thursday.




>pointing out that something is badly supported = attack

I think we should pack it up here
45341 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The States
Offline
Posted 3/23/17
How awful that insults are being equated with actual threats and incitement. That is a dangerous path.
11816 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 3/23/17

machinaprecis wrote:

How awful that insults are being equated with actual threats and incitement. That is a dangerous path.


Where?
45341 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The States
Offline
Posted 3/23/17 , edited 3/23/17
the comic is saying that using racist insults is a form of encouraging hatred. It may be true in some ways but there's a big difference between a racist jerk who uses a slur at someone other jerk who cuts him off in traffic and burning a cross in somebody's yard. I hope the law is more nuanced than the comic suggests.
11816 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 3/23/17

machinaprecis wrote:

the comic is saying that using racist insults is a form of encouraging hatred. It may be true in some ways but there's a big difference between a racist jerk who uses a slur at someone other jerk who cuts him off in traffic and burning a cross in somebody's yard. I hope the law is more nuanced than the comic suggests.


It is, after all that comic is aimed to teach children so its gonna be a bit more simplified. In Canada you can absolutely say racist hateful shit just as you would be able to say anything else, but the line usually gets drawn when you start actively impeding other people. For example we don't allow the Westborough Baptist Church in our country because they actively attack people at funerals for their family members. That's the kind of stuff that will get you in trouble with the law, but even then I doubt it would be jail. Most likely a fi e or something.
Posted 3/23/17 , edited 3/28/17

octorockandroll wrote:


It is, after all that comic is aimed to teach children so its gonna be a bit more simplified.


That makes it even more disgusting tbh familia
11816 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 3/23/17 , edited 3/28/17

Amyas_Leigh wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:


It is, after all that comic is aimed to teach children so its gonna be a bit more simplified.


That makes it even more disgusting tbh familia


Simplifying something for kids should be a crime. Grab your pitchforks, we're going after the little einsteins for simplifying scientific concepts so their audience can understand it.
Posted 3/23/17

octorockandroll wrote:

Simplifying something for kids should be a crime. Grab your pitchforks, we're going after the little einsteins for simplifying scientific concepts so their audience can understand it.


"Which means any kind of racist insult can get you into big trouble"
*picture of cartoon man in jail*
Its conditioning children, normalizing the policing of speech, even if its not a threat.
28264 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 3/24/17
It's non-binding, so that means you can't face any charges. Any reasonable anti-discrimination bill is a good one.
17710 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 3/24/17 , edited 3/28/17
Guys, Canada is not U.S America.
17710 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 3/24/17 , edited 3/28/17

Amyas_Leigh wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:

Simplifying something for kids should be a crime. Grab your pitchforks, we're going after the little einsteins for simplifying scientific concepts so their audience can understand it.


"Which means any kind of racist insult can get you into big trouble"
*picture of cartoon man in jail*
Its conditioning children, normalizing the policing of speech, even if its not a threat.
What school did you went that allows student to make racial insults without any consequences?
Posted 3/24/17 , edited 3/24/17

MysticGon wrote:

It's non-binding, so that means you can't face any charges. Any reasonable anti-discrimination bill is a good one.

Its not reasonable. Its just a discriminatory anti free speech movement designed to further protect an already protected class.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/07/07/canadian-judge-punching-a-caucasian-and-yelling-i-hate-white-people-isnt-a-hate-crime/

https://www.guelphmercury.com/news-story/7102002-quebec-man-charged-with-inciting-hate-as-police-note-surge-in-hate-related-complaints/

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/the-strange-twists-of-a-high-profile-quebec-hate-speech-arrest


FlyinDumpling wrote:

What school did you went that allows student to make racial insults without any consequences?


What school did you go to that locks children behind bars for saying 'racist insults'?



First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.