First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Anyone else close to cancelling over outages?
14 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / The Great Plains
Offline
Posted 4/23/17 , edited 4/24/17

cbf9427 wrote:

I know how to build this stuff, maybe I should go get myself hired.


Same here, I'm a network engineer by training. These last couple months have been bullshit. I'm having multiple stream freezes on goddamn 2-minute episodes (on weekdays, not weekends, even)! And I know it's not my end for sure. I'm definitely getting close to cutting my sub since I'm NOT getting what I pay for.

Maybe we should get that retired datacenter guy from further up the thread and go form a contracting company to support these guys' stuff. Or make our own anime website.
Der Zoodirektor
26698 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Germany
Offline
Posted 4/23/17 , edited 4/26/17

rosseloh wrote:

Same here, I'm a network engineer by training. These last couple months have been bullshit. I'm having multiple stream freezes on goddamn 2-minute episodes (on weekdays, not weekends, even)! And I know it's not my end for sure. I'm definitely getting close to cutting my sub since I'm NOT getting what I pay for.

Maybe we should get that retired datacenter guy from further up the thread and go form a contracting company to support these guys' stuff. Or make our own anime website.


We are not having a network or bandwidth issue here.

Here's some information on why our site is currently having issues: https://medium.com/ellation-tech/stabilizing-improving-crunchyroll-service-c44c53789e86
14 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / The Great Plains
Offline
Posted 4/23/17 , edited 4/24/17

shinryou wrote:


rosseloh wrote:

Same here, I'm a network engineer by training. These last couple months have been bullshit. I'm having multiple stream freezes on goddamn 2-minute episodes (on weekdays, not weekends, even)! And I know it's not my end for sure. I'm definitely getting close to cutting my sub since I'm NOT getting what I pay for.

Maybe we should get that retired datacenter guy from further up the thread and go form a contracting company to support these guys' stuff. Or make our own anime website.


We are not having a network or bandwidth issue here.

Here's some information on why our site is currently having issues: https://medium.com/ellation-tech/stabilizing-improving-crunchyroll-service-c44c53789e86


Yes, I've seen that, and the hope that it brings is about the only thing that has kept me from cancelling over the last month, considering I haven't actually been able to use the service due to the issues.

Now I just hope you guys get it done sooner rather than later. And hey, if you're looking for a network engineer who is good at picking up just about anything tech related....I've been meaning to find a new job anyway!
9020 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 4/23/17 , edited 4/24/17
Thinking about it. The Xbone app is paralized. Tried to cast from my phone. lol nope. Why am I paying for this again?
5 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Tracadie-Sheila, NB
Offline
Posted 4/24/17 , edited 4/24/17
Everytime i try to watch anime on crunchyroll...it's never working.
30000 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
84 / F / Bite the pillow.
Offline
Posted 4/24/17 , edited 4/24/17

AbyssalSeddrick wrote:

Everytime i try to watch anime on crunchyroll...it's never working.

Which platform are you trying to stream from? Web site, game console, Roku, mobile? It's working right now for me on the web site. Give it a shot.
Der Zoodirektor
26698 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Germany
Offline
Posted 4/24/17 , edited 4/26/17

Hairbelly wrote:

Which platform are you trying to stream from? Web site, game console, Roku, mobile? It's working right now for me on the web site. Give it a shot.


The service should full work around 95% of the time currently. The degradation is limited to a high load time frame during the evenings on weekends in US time zones, but otherwise there should not be any interruptions on our end - but even then we are able to serve most users, it's not a total outage by any means. Apps in general are more affected than the website due to how they work.

In any case, we have made a lot of changes already under the hood in recent weeks, including hardware upgrades, and the service is holding up much better during the weekend evenings already.
ocsum 
17005 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/24/17 , edited 4/25/17
Here on a Monday night i feel like it is a weekend. Ill be canceling soon.
23011 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 4/24/17 , edited 4/25/17

shinryou wrote:


rosseloh wrote:

Same here, I'm a network engineer by training. These last couple months have been bullshit. I'm having multiple stream freezes on goddamn 2-minute episodes (on weekdays, not weekends, even)! And I know it's not my end for sure. I'm definitely getting close to cutting my sub since I'm NOT getting what I pay for.

Maybe we should get that retired datacenter guy from further up the thread and go form a contracting company to support these guys' stuff. Or make our own anime website.


We are not having a network or bandwidth issue here.

Here's some information on why our site is currently having issues: https://medium.com/ellation-tech/stabilizing-improving-crunchyroll-service-c44c53789e86

This should probably be visible somewhere on the site rather than buried in a random forum thread. A lot of the frustration comes from 0 official response from Crunchyroll about the issue for months.

EDIT: I was barely able to post this without the site timing out and giving me an error: http://i.imgur.com/W8BRHZt.png
1019 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 4/24/17 , edited 4/25/17

Damien27 wrote:

Never had any problems once I became a premium member, sorry to hear you are & possibly cancelling. Hope they can fix it for you, we need more people supporting the anime industry not less.


I jumped straight into CR as a premium member, and I've had nothing but issues. I joined specifically because I wanted to start supporting the creators. But these constant outages will cause me to not renew my membership. I wish there was another way to give my money to the creators, but CR takes more of my money than they pass on, and their lack of customer care makes it just not worth it.
1019 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 4/24/17 , edited 4/25/17

shinryou
The service should full work around 95% of the time currently. The degradation is limited to a high load time frame during the evenings on weekends in US time zones, but otherwise there should not be any interruptions on our end - but even then we are able to serve most users, it's not a total outage by any means. Apps in general are more affected than the website due to how they work.

In any case, we have made a lot of changes already under the hood in recent weeks, including hardware upgrades, and the service is holding up much better during the weekend evenings already.


That's a really weak answer. Potential service degradation during high load times should be something CR accounts for. I mean, why should I accept that I can't watch when I want to just because that's the same time everybody else wants to watch? Saying that CR works better on the web than apps is also a poor answer, as my service provider shouldn't be dictating to me what device I use.
Der Zoodirektor
26698 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Germany
Offline
Posted 4/24/17 , edited 4/26/17

seeker_moc wrote:

That's a really weak answer. Potential service degradation during high load times should be something CR accounts for. I mean, why should I accept that I can't watch when I want to just because that's the same time everybody else wants to watch? Saying that CR works better on the web than apps is also a poor answer, as my service provider shouldn't be dictating to me what device I use.


That is why we're allotting a lot of our resources towards fixing this issue. However it is not as trivial of an issue as many make it out to be. It's not about slapping additional servers on the system, which would be a mere band-aid solution. We are working on a more wholesome solution, which will fix the problem long term.
I've linked our blog post explaining the situation on this thread before. It details why the service is slow, and what we are doing to address it.
22011 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
78 / M
Offline
Posted 4/25/17 , edited 4/25/17

shinryou We are not having a network or bandwidth issue here.

Here's some information on why our site is currently having issues: https://medium.com/ellation-tech/stabilizing-improving-crunchyroll-service-c44c53789e86


Yeah, unlike the other guy, I'm a full-spectrum CS person with decades of experience. In my previous job I built a data collection system that's by now handling about 40 million samples per day, running 24/7 for twelve years, never missed a data point. On an insignificant capital equipment budget (+about $2,000/month hosting fees).

Your article seems on the money, given my own observations (favorites and history lists take a while to start populating, as do episide lists when the episode counts get high). Things like that typically indicate database overload/bottleneck.

If you'd hired me from the beginning, you wouldn't have gotten a monolithic application. You probably also wouldn't be using MySQL (MIcrosoft SQL Server, or if you don't want to pay for that, PostgreSQL -- both of which have better scalability and performance than MySQL). But whichever back end DB you use, it should be a scale-out, not a scale-up design. Scale-up just isn't feasible with a million users. The key is to determine how to partition the data. For example, the favorites list of one user has nothing to do with another. So you can arbitrarily divide stuff like that across servers. Similarly, you can divide metadata for shows/episodes across many servers. The only part that requires real design is how to handle references across the two sets (e.g. the references from my favorites or history to the show/episodes).

And if you're still hosting your own hardware, that's probably wrong, although there are better and worse ways to handle stuff like that. (One of the big gaming companies -- might have been Zynga, had an interesting article a few years ago about how they the determined the most cost-effective solution was to have in-house servers to handle their base-load, but use cloud services to handle surges.)

Anyway, feel free to send me an email (find it in my profile) if you think you'd like my help ...
2042 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/26/17 , edited 4/26/17
I can't watch anime for about a month and a half and still doesn't work I have been a paying member for over two year and have been using cruchyroll for years I can't take it after this month I cancel my member ship
14287 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 4/26/17 , edited 4/27/17

shinryou wrote:


seeker_moc wrote:

That's a really weak answer. Potential service degradation during high load times should be something CR accounts for. I mean, why should I accept that I can't watch when I want to just because that's the same time everybody else wants to watch? Saying that CR works better on the web than apps is also a poor answer, as my service provider shouldn't be dictating to me what device I use.


That is why we're allotting a lot of our resources towards fixing this issue. However it is not as trivial of an issue as many make it out to be. It's not about slapping additional servers on the system, which would be a mere band-aid solution. We are working on a more wholesome solution, which will fix the problem long term.
I've linked our blog post explaining the situation on this thread before. It details why the service is slow, and what we are doing to address it.


gave it a quick read didn't see anything but are they also working to fix the roku app?
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.